How to recover from low exam grade

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premeddreamsgone

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this question is probably searchable, but I want some more responses.

So, basically, I got a 78 on a bio exam (class avg was 79) I thought I did pretty much better on. This is freaking 18% of my grade!!!!!! Ugh. I feel like I just f'd myself up for the semester.

How do you recover from a bad exam/ what study methods do you use?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

So, basically, I got a 78 on a bio exam I thought I did pretty much better on. This is freaking 18% of my grade!!!!!! Ugh. I feel like I just f'd myself up for the semester.

I know a 78% isn't good but it's not the end of the world… You've gotta relax a little more it's just one grade. Just study harder for the next one and do better. I have found have found something that helps me. After I study, I go through and teach it to myself again out loud and then teach it to my boyfriend (just find someone to talk to about it if you can). Because that way you know how much you actually know. You may find out that you don't know the material the way that I thought you did by purely reading it.

Best of luck on the next exam and please don't stress, it's just one grade!

Reactions: 1 user
I think a lot of undergrads study more passively than they think they do. Hours spent on a subject mean very little if you're not actively engaging with the material. Drawing out concept maps, making and using flashcards, and doing a bunch of practice questions are all great ways to help understand and retain the material.

If it makes you feel any better, I received a 48% on my second organic chemistry exam and still made it to medical school. Nothing is over for you!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'll raise you a 34% on a physics exam. One exam won't determine your undergraduate career.

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah.... got a 40 on my first biochem exam (my major no less) and that was a good 15 points below the average. It sucked but I bounced back. I found it helped to not take notes in my notebook during a class. I write down notes (not copying down everything the prof writes) then combine that with the posted notes in my notebook. It forces me to look at the material multiple times and actually understand it.

Reactions: 1 user
no more league of legends for the rest of the semester and ace the rest

Really? That's like almost a B, easy to pull up, just study more for the next one

Got a 60 on my first bio exam ever

ended up with a 3.8 as a bio major

no ragrets

In short: identify the problem with your study methods and make the necessary changes. What are your personal strengths and weaknesses as a student? We all have both. Does your current methodology play towards these strengths?

Is there something particularly unique about this class that would make it difficult for you? What can you change to compensate for this? The professor might be able to help you with this one.

Last edited:
You can still get a 96% in the class if you get a 100 on everything else left. That's probably not realistic but I hope it helps you realize that it is very possible to bounce back.

hey everyone - thanks for your responses. I got the physical exam back today. I thought I lost points majority on the free response but it turns out I only missed 6 points on that. Instead, i missed 4 MCQ, 2 of which were the stupidest mistakes ever, and 1 of which I second guessed myself.

Yuck, I guess I knew my material but need to learn some better test taking strategies!!

Couple of slaps to the face helps me. I then proceed tell myself that I shall score nothing less that a 96 for the rest of the semester. This is soon followed by an indian rain dance and animal sacrifice. LOL
If what you are doing earns you a 78, then you need to study smarter. Unfortunately, everyone is different and there is no one way to guarantee success. Try a combo of different study strategies (flashcards, rewriting notes, youtube/khan etc.)

So, basically, I got a 78 on a bio exam (class avg was 79) I thought I did pretty much better on. This is freaking 18% of my grade!!!!!! Ugh. I feel like I just f'd myself up for the semester.

If the exam is worth 18% of your grade and you got a 78%, you still got 14 percentage points of the possible 18.

You only lost 4 percentage points of your entire grade. RELAX