hSDN Class of 2012

I see, I did not no that. I sort of believed that it was some sort of necessary evil that must be done at one point or another in your life. I could never put down a healthy animal.

Maybe in school you'd have to, but I see no reason why you'd have to in practice.

Members don't see this ad.

I wonder if vet school has something similar to med school 3rd and 4th year rotations...

Members don't see this ad :)
August 6th. It's an 870mile trip :eek: I can't wait!

Which colleges are you visiting?

Cool, I hear Burlington's a great college town. I checked out both of em and U of V has about 10x's more students than St. Michael's College. You're leaning towards St. M right?

Cool, I hear Burlington's a great college town. I checked out both of em and U of V has about 10x's more students than St. Michael's College. You're leaning towards St. M right?

Yeah. The fact that it's a smaller college is a plus for me. The classes aren't as big and the campus, at least online, looks beautiful. The fact that it's also close to Burlington is great.

Yeah. The fact that it's a smaller college is a plus for me. The classes aren't as big and the campus, at least online, looks beautiful. The fact that it's also close to Burlington is great.

How are the research opportunities there?

How are the research opportunities there?

I really can't tell since I haven't decided which major I'm going for. I know that the biology department has had students present projects at a variety of professional. conferences. Internships are great also, with some interning at the UVM Medical School or the Vermont Medical Examiner's office. That's why I'm debating between biochemistry and biology. Biology is the cliche major for pre-med and doesn't have many other uses, but the college runs a great department. With biochemistry, which was the other major I was considering, I don't know. Something to ask on the tour.

Speaking of the actual tour, is there some sort of dress code for the tour? Probably more formal, but I'd hate to show up with a suit while everyone else has jeans and a t-shirt on.

I'd imagine dressing like you usually do (casual) is the safest way to go. With Princeton and Ivy Leagues, I'm not sure. But, with other colleges like Michigan, you can see if you would fit in with how you usually look (sounds sappy, but true). I think you'd stick out more with a suit rather than a pair of jeans with a collared shirt.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd imagine dressing like you usually do (casual) is the safest way to go. With Princeton and Ivy Leagues, I'm not sure. But, with other colleges like Michigan, you can see if you would fit in with how you usually look (sounds sappy, but true). I think you'd stick out more with a suit rather than a pair of jeans with a collared shirt.

Yeah, that sounds reasonable, it'd suck to be "that guy" that wore the suit. They might remember you though:D.

Woo! Senior year! Pretty excited haha.
Hey guys! As you can see, I'm a new member here so I thought I'd join this forum. :)
Next year, I'll be taking Ap Bio, Ap Lit, Ap Calc, Psychology and for the sake of having "chill" classes, I'm also taking Piano and Video production.
Some of the schools I plan on applying to are University of Maryland- College Park(UMCP), and Baltimore County (UMBC),
University of Michigan and University of Virginia.
I'm also thinking of majoring in Biochem and minoring in Psychology.
I'm not completely sure what specialty I'm interested in yet. It used to be psychiatry, but mehh. I don't know anymore. >.< Plenty of time left to choose, though!
I hope you guys are having an amazing summer! Enjoy it! :)

Woo! Senior year! Pretty excited haha.
Hey guys! As you can see, I'm a new member here so I thought I'd join this forum. :)

Welcome to SDN, Lucky! I hope your summer is going well.
I start band camp on Monday. 3 weeks. 7:30-6:30. In this lovely Alabama heat. O_O

So, that'll take us to August, and I'll only have a few days left! :(

Welcome to SDN, Lucky! I hope your summer is going well.
I start band camp on Monday. 3 weeks. 7:30-6:30. In this lovely Alabama heat. O_O

So, that'll take us to August, and I'll only have a few days left! :(

I just remember covering a football game at our home field (work as a sportswriter for a local newspaper). The opposing band had 200+ members show up, and our 5-member "spirit band" never showed up. They didn't show up for any games, if I remember correctly Most of the time, it looked like we outsourced our band.

Good luck with band camp, Doxorubicin, and welcome to SDN, Lucky!

I'm so bored... I wish school would start already..:hungover:

I know. Right now, I'm writing round-ups for our local baseball teams, and I can't wait for the summer season to be over. Hopefully my college visits will break it up somewhat.

Hello! As you can tell, I'm a new member and I figured this should be where I'll put out my first post.
Oh gosh, it hasn't sunk in yet that we're finally Seniors!!! :D

I'm a bit of a nerd, so I'm totally looking forward to my classes next year! I'm planning on taking AP Bio, AP Physics C, AP Comp Gov, AP Comp Sci, AP Lit, Spanish 4, and Multivariable Calculus with a local university.
My top three hopefuls are: UPenn, Brown, and UVA (cheaper since it's in state). I'm planning on dual majoring in Biological Engineering and Biomedical Sciences then moving on to medical school.

@Gamma Knife: I would say it's best that you don't wear a suit. You should look comfortable, unless your regular attire is a suit, then go for it. ;)

Last edited:
@Gamma Knife: I would say it's best that you don't wear a suit. You should look comfortable, unless your regular attire is a suit, then go for it. ;)

BS1.jpg

It's just how I roll. :cool:

Anyways, Nice schedule, out of ~400 people, only two are taking Multivariable Calc this year (woulda been three if I didn't opt out of adv math in 7th grade :()

Also, welcome to the forum!

I'm so bored... I wish school would start already..:hungover:

I don't :D Only because with all the homework I have to do with the science program I am in, it feels as if I'm still in school. :p It's a spiffy program and I'm enjoying it, but holy potatoes is it keeping me busy.

ETA: Welcome SeveralMoments! Nice to have another join the ranks! B)

Yeah, I would be in the same position you are, except my school persuaded people to take Geometry over the summer. Anyways, you're still advanced compared to most people.
In my school, we have about 5 people taking the course, but apparently next year they are expecting around 25 kids. The middle schools in our area made it easier for people to skip a class without taking it over the summer. Who knows, probably in a few years, the class will be completely filled up. ;D (apparently you can't wink and be extremely happy at the same time).
Are you taking AB or BC Calculus, or taking AP Statistics instead?

Side note: Neil Patrick Harris! :D

Yeah, I would be in the same position you are, except my school persuaded people to take Geometry over the summer. Anyways, you're still advanced compared to most people.
In my school, we have about 5 people taking the course, but apparently next year they are expecting around 25 kids. The middle schools in our area made it easier for people to skip a class without taking it over the summer. Who knows, probably in a few years, the class will be completely filled up. ;D (apparently you can't wink and be extremely happy at the same time).
Are you taking AB or BC Calculus, or taking AP Statistics instead?

Side note: Neil Patrick Harris! :D

NPH is the best.

Anyways, I'm taking AP Calc, I think its a mixture of calculus 1 and 2, its an all year class, and we have block scheduling (similar to college scheduling) so our schools graduates tend to do really well in calc 2 if they've taken AP.
Edit: I actually had to double up on math my sophomore year to even be able to take AP calc this year.

Way off topic: Starting a workout program, just finished the first day, and I have to say I am REALLY out of shape, I didn't know how bad until I walked downstairs after my workout. I was really surprised how nice and helpful everyone is. :)

I recommend taking the Calculus BC test even if you are taking calculus AB. Taking BC test fulfills a full year requirement, while the AB only fulfills one semester. I heard the BC test was just AB + a little extra material, so that's what I plan on doing. Anyone else going to try that route?

I tried to get into AP Calculus for next year. I wanted to take it, and the AP teacher himself said that I would be a good fit. But, both the math department chairperson and the guidance department blocked it because I would have to skip pre-calculus. Have I mentioned that I hate my school?

Anyway, have my college trip to Vermont tomorrow. Can't wait!

I recommend taking the Calculus BC test even if you are taking calculus AB. Taking BC test fulfills a full year requirement, while the AB only fulfills one semester. I heard the BC test was just AB + a little extra material, so that's what I plan on doing. Anyone else going to try that route?

I dunno. Calc BC, as it is taught at my school, is a full year's course with, from what I understand, much more material than what you see in AB. I'd be afraid to attempt the BC exam.

Besides, it's not like you need tons of calculus to go to med school. I wouldn't mind suffering through a year or so of it.

.. Did I just write that? :scared:

EDIT: I applied to the University of Alabama this evening! They have an online app available so you don't have to go through the Common App. Signing a records release at the school tomorrow to have everything in! :)

I would not recommend this whatsoever. Calc BC = Calc AB + a ton more material. Basically BC is AB smushed into a half year with more topics and more in depth problems. Sure, most schools do not offer credit for AB, but taking the BC exam after taking the AB course will almost definitely score you below 'passing', let alone a high enough result for credit.

Take BC if you're willing to work for it, or take AB (like I did), if you don't like math or it doesn't come naturally to you (I'm a combination of the two aforementioned). I'm taking Calc I next semester and I feel super prepared after reading the syllabus and seeing previous exams. It won't be an 'easy A', but it will be nice knowing most, if not all of the material. Plus, some medical schools do not even accept AP credit. Why risk it?

EDIT: I remember seeing this stat somewhere, and you can re-check if you want, but I remember it saying that 40% of BC students score a 5 and 80% score a 3+.

I heard from my friends that took the test last year, that for BC you have subscore for AB, so you can still fail the BC part, but pass the AB part. I was thinking that after taking the BC test, i'll be more prepared for college Calc I because you can still take the calc I class (No need for placement testing too!). I think I will take my chances, since math comes really easily to me, hopefully it isn't too much of a hassle.

I heard from my friends that took the test last year, that for BC you have subscore for AB, so you can still fail the BC part, but pass the AB part. I was thinking that after taking the BC test, i'll be more prepared for college Calc I because you can still take the calc I class (No need for placement testing too!). I think I will take my chances, since math comes really easily to me, hopefully it isn't too much of a hassle.

Not trying to be rude, but how is taking one exam going to prepare you for a college course? Yes, the AB subscore may be taken by some schools, but if you've ever seen the AP exams, it's not like there will be a notation telling you which questions are AB or not. Most questions on the BC exam combine AB and BC topics, and even then a lot of independent thinking is done regardless of the exam.

I personally wouldn't do it, but it's your decision. I'd talk it over with your math department chair, though.

Well, my thinking was that I would learn everything in Highschool and see how much I learned based on my AP calc score (also from what I didn't understand in the test), so I would know what to review more or less of for an entire year. I think I will still take the chance especially with the new no guessing penalty.

Thanks for the advice (i'm not sure if that is the right word...I want to say knowledge, but I can't think of a proper synonym.) though! My friends made the BC test sound like it's not too much studying involved, I guess I need to study earlier now. :eek:

My friends made the BC test sound like it's not too much studying involved, I guess I need to study earlier now. :eek:

They're right... It's just fully understanding and grasping concepts as you learn them. If you can do that, you're golden. Good luck!

Hey, guys. I thought I would make a thread in which the rising senior class can discuss their plans for the coming year and college. What are you taking? How are you doing? Where are you planning to apply or go? What profession(s) are you considering? What are some of your potential majors?

Currently taking a summer econ and psychology class. A's in both. I'm also planning on applying instate to graduate debt-free. I'm considering being an intensivist in the PICU, an ER doc, oncology, and a neo. Potential majors include chemistry, biology, psychology, and English. Haven't decided yet lol.

I had my college visits yesterday, and it was great. Started with UVM, and got to see a good portion of the central campus. Tour guides were great, and we were able to walk through the life sciences building. Also saw that the local hospital was attached to the college, which was interesting. Afterwards, went down Church Street and got to see some interesting sights.

Later on, we went to Saint Mike's. Got lost on the highway and ended up late for our tour. Actually helped out, since we got to talk to the admissions councilor 1-1. Went on a later tour that no one signed up for, so that was also 1-1. Got to walk through the science building and talk to who I think was a physics major, and got to see most of the campus. Started to downpour halfway through the tour, but our tour guide still showed us most of areas of the college. Excellent tour and excellent school.

Both colleges were pretty good, but right now, I'm still leaning towards Saint Mike's, which is now my top choice. By the way, GammaKnife, on the UVM Tour, most of the guys were wearing shorts and polos. One kid just wore a t-shirt and shorts, and the admissions councilor didn't seem to notice.

Both colleges were pretty good, but right now, I'm still leaning towards Saint Mike's, which is now my top choice. By the way, GammaKnife, on the UVM Tour, most of the guys were wearing shorts and polos. One kid just wore a t-shirt and shorts, and the admissions councilor didn't seem to notice.

OK, thanks for the info. :) Can't wait until August 6th.

Well, my thinking was that I would learn everything in Highschool and see how much I learned based on my AP calc score (also from what I didn't understand in the test), so I would know what to review more or less of for an entire year. I think I will still take the chance especially with the new no guessing penalty.

Thanks for the advice (i'm not sure if that is the right word...I want to say knowledge, but I can't think of a proper synonym.) though! My friends made the BC test sound like it's not too much studying involved, I guess I need to study earlier now. :eek:
I took BC Calc this past year and I completely agree with JChait that it's all about understanding the concepts, but it also helps if you've got a good teacher. The teacher I had made it extremely easy for us to do well in the course. She offered us every opportunity to ask questions and she went over everything she said at least 4-5 times within one class period just to make sure that everyone understood.

My friend who took AB Calc this year, actually did the same thing you're considering. He took AB Calc and about a month before the AP exams, he started sitting in on our BC Calc review sessions. He had a really difficult time trying to learn everything that we had taken a semester to learn in just a few weeks and have time to review it all. He stuck with just learning the basics of the topics. He got a 5 on the AB exam (since he was completely prepared for that) and a 4 on the BC exam. It was certainly difficult for him to get the hang of BC Calc because he was far behind my class, but he made it, and I'm a 100% sure that he could have gotten a 5 on the exam if he studied a bit more. Also, he might have had a better chance of getting a 5, if he had started studying a little bit before the one month mark.

I suggest if you're going to take it. Be prepared and willing to learn all the concepts. Talk with the teacher teaching the BC course. Get the Princeton Review book (if the teacher isn't willing to help--it's a little hefty in its information, I suggest you skim it, not actually read it).
Also, just because some concepts (like LaGrange Error Bounds) are only worth 2 points or less, I suggest you learn them because those few points may separate you from a 4 to a 5.
And good luck with whatever you decide to do! :)

Gosh, I wrote a lot, but I hope it was helpful. Giving the BC exam a try isn't the most horrible thing, you know. You still recieve an AB subscore.
I'm sure that if you study and work hard, you can get a 5.

Thanks for the advice and congrats on the 5! Sadly, we don't have a BC course,so my only hope is to rely on my AB teacher. I probably will start studying in December right after my last SAT's, so there is no cramming later on.

Thanks for the advice and congrats on the 5! Sadly, we don't have a BC course,so my only hope is to rely on my AB teacher. I probably will start studying in December right after my last SAT's, so there is no cramming later on.
Thank you :)
Well, in that case, I suggest that you get yourself a Princeton Review. It has the most information from most of the sources that I've seen. It has a round-about way of explaining things, but I think it would be just get used to the formulas. Also, I think that practicing would be a great help to you. There are websites that provide all the free-response questions and multiple choice questions from previous years. Collegeboard has a few exams on their website. It would be best to just practice the way the formulas are used in terms of the AP exam and you should be set.

Side note: I don't recommend doing practice tests from the PR because a lot of the questions aren't very accurate as to the real exam.

Hey AH, what kind of questions did you ask during your tours?

Hey AH, what kind of questions did you ask during your tours?

Things that she could answer as a student, like whether you could test out of foreign language, what is the food like, whether it was easy to minor in something, etc. I didn't ask about subjects like financial or the application process. Fortunately, I was able to ask the admissions counselor about his suggestions for applying. For example, he said that since those who declare a major get priority in scheduling classes, it would be better for me to declare biochemistry since that's close to what I want to do (chemistry vs. biology vs. biochemistry, right now) rather than go in undecided. Even if I don't choose any of those, he said that it's easy enough to change and having priority scheduling is worth choosing your tentative major prior to.

If you want me to go more in depth, just let me know. I didn't want to ramble on, but I'd be more than happy to add onto that.

Sure, what do you want to know? Both of the tours were student-led, and I think that most schools are like that, but it really depends on the place.

Last edited:
Nice! I took it dual enrollment, so I opted out of the test.

Anyways I can't think of anything right now college tour wise, but maybe as the date draws closer I'll think of something.

I'll be here, so feel free to ask. The one piece of advice I can give, and you may know this already, is to write your admissions person a thank-you note for the tour. They'll start a file for you, and it makes you look somewhat better. Definitely won't make or break an application, but still a good idea.

Go 2012! I'm applying for NROTC, so who knows what'll happen with that. If I don't get the scholarship, I'll probably be going with Michigan, Michigan State, or Wayne State.

I'm pretty sure I have AP lit, AP bio, AP chem, AP psych, band, and pre-cal for next year.

Also, keep in mind some of the sport events that are going on that day, oddly enough. When I went to Vermont, the US Women's soccer team was playing France along with several other teams. The admissions counselor at Saint Mike's was watching a game in a conference room off a projector. One professor we met was watching a game in another class with a projector. We also saw someone from the physics department watching the game while doing an experiment. Several other guys were watching games. Of course, my parents were trying to find out who won the game, so that was another reason for them to like the college. Very odd, I have to admit.

Also, keep in mind some of the sport events that are going on that day, oddly enough. When I went to Vermont, the US Women's soccer team was playing France along with several other teams. The admissions counselor at Saint Mike's was watching a game in a conference room off a projector. One professor we met was watching a game in another class with a projector. We also saw someone from the physics department watching the game while doing an experiment. Several other guys were watching games. Of course, my parents were trying to find out who won the game, so that was another reason for them to like the college. Very odd, I have to admit.

lol.

Jk, thanks for the advice though, maybe it'll increase my chances of acceptance if I comment favorably on their sports teams. :)