I Hate It When People Do This...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ronin13

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
...you know, when they post their stats and say "will I get in?", as if the members of this message board are making the decisions.

But ultimately, since the North American applications to Irish schools seem to be such a crap shoot (no set cutoffs, variety of different people getting accepted), I thought I might throw my story out there to see what people have to say. I know that there are no guarantees, but it's always good to hear some feedback (positive and negative of course).

I did a 4 year B.Sc (honours, w/ a thesis) in psychology and had a cumulative 3.5 GPA. If you take out one semester, my average is more like 3.7-3.8. Science GPA depends on how they define science courses (e.g. are neuropsych and drugs and behaviour considered science courses, even though they're under the faculty of psychology?), but could be anywhere from 3.3 - 3.5.

MCAT is good, but not great. 8P 9B 11V and P on the written section (28P overall).

I graduated a year and a half ago, and have been working as a research analyst for a very large, very respected clinical research unit (oncology drug research). No publications unfortunately, since I do a variety of work on a variety of trials. Get too do a lot of interesting stuff though, and the research is high-calibre. I know it sounds cheesy, but the docs are pretty inspiring (oncology is a damn respectable field).

Extra currics are varied. I've worked as a science teacher (for grade 6-8 summer campers), research assistant, teaching assistant, writer for the student newspaper, student representative, etc. Volunteer experience in senior's home, blood bank, animal hospital (hey, i like animals), and for the past year i've been a volunteer at a large downtown emergency department, where i sit on the advisory committee and develop training programs for new volunteers (big proponent of expanding the volunteer role). I've seen some pretty wild stuff there, but it's been a great experience. Also doing extraneous research with one of our staff docs, mostly patient education stuff.

Hmm...the more I look at it, the more I look like the typical gunner. Blech.

Been snowboarding for 5 or 6 years (no awards or anything, not really into that), and write for an online music website (my record collection is second to none). The music scene in Ireland is great, but I hear bad things about the snowboarding...

Have some solid references (physician, professor, research supervisor) and I wrote your standard "let me into medical school because i am fabulous" essay. One thing that probably sets me apart from a lot of med school hopefuls is my ability to properly use grammar. Periods and commas aplenty.

I know that the Irish schools value life-experience and diversity, but I suppose I'm not the typical "mature" applicant (i.e. haven't been out of school for a long period of time, starting career, etc.), but I'm also not the typical undergrad applicant. I've done a fair amount of research, but not the typical labwork kind (more clinical, sociological).

Thanks for reading my autobiography. It should be hitting the shelves next summer...

But seriously, where are the cracks in my application? Where could it be stronger? I'm not really interested in changing my life to better suit med school applications, but it's good to know where my application might get me into trouble admissions-wise.

So what I'm saying is....will I get in? :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad.

Why apply to a school outside the USA when you could easily get into a DO school (and some MD) here in the states?

Members don't see this ad :)
Because I'm in Canada (maybe should have mentioned that). Getting into medical school here is ridiculous. I've applied to several, but Ireland is a very real option.

Apply. You've got good extracurrics and employment history, and something unique as well. Not many people in Ireland encounter snowboarders. So give it a shot, write a good ps, and see how you get on.

I've heard they have indoor artificial "hills" for skiing and snowboarding in Ireland and the UK. Has anyone experienced this?

Would love to end up in Ireland and have the chance to travel/snowboard through the Alps during downtime.

Good to read your stats/life history but as you're aware, there's no predicting. You have pretty solid life experience with relevant science-related facets. Most Irish schools will value research but not require it so the fact that you haven't published isn't a big deal. Your grades sound fine and your MCAT is OK but not great. Probably won't rule you out but won't be a walk either. I know I was waitlisted at UCC until pretty late, apparently because of my MCAT (8PS, 10BS, 11VR T)-- the PS score obviously was the concern. Again, this is ironic since the Irish students here are 17 and 18 and many have not even had Biology, not to mention Physics. So they do have very different expectations for NAmericans here.

I don't know what the stats for the 17 other NAmericans in my class are since it's not really a polite thing to ask and none of us care now anyway. We're all more interested in one another's life experience. That having been said, i think you have a real shot since your experience is fairly broad. Clearly admissions here likes to broaden out the class with truly well-rounded mature/NAmerican students to compensate for the very young Irish. I'd say apply as you are and hope for the best. There's not really anything in particular that i think they're looking for here. And who could ever know anyway. The one other thing i did was to take some current coursework (my previous degree was "old") and that's clearly what got me in off the waitlist. In Canada, there seemed to be few distance-ed options for advanced courses but I found a great one (Molecular Cell Biology- 400 level) at Athabasca University in Alberta. Great school and great course and HIGHLY relevant to med school it appears. The day after I posted my A in the course to UCC, I was in off the waitlist. Hope that helps.