I'm stuck on my GPA Trend; Need Advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

acampos21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off, I'm a CA resident, URM, and for my Freshman year of college I went to a CSU. For my second year I went to a community college, and then transferred to a UC for my third and fourth year.
Right now my cGPA is a 3.59 and my sGPA: 3.45
I'm trying to figure out if I should wait for my Spring Quarter grades before I submit my application. If I wait, my cGPA will be about a 3.61-3.63 and my sGPA will be a 3.48-3.5. I know that's a very small difference but the reason why I don't know what to do is because of my grade trend:

First Year:
-Summer: 4.0
-Fall: 3.90
-Winter: 3.66
-Spring: 4.0

Second Year:
-Summer: 3.0
-Fall: 3.64

Third Year:
-Summer Session 1: 2.42 ->
I got a C in organic chemistry and a B in an upper division course; It was my first quarter at a UC and the first time I've ever been away from home. Due to my father passing away, I spent a lot of time going back home and spending time with my family, particular my younger sisters. I chose to attend a UC in order to challenge myself, but I underestimated the circumstances I was in and therefore, my gpa suffered.
-Summer Session 2: 3.60
-Fall: 3.23
-Winter: 3.025 --> I started working 20-30 hours a week at a Dr's Office while taking Biochem and Physiology (considered the hardest class at my school); all while continuing to volunteer.
-Spring: I should be getting a GPA of at least a 3.6

**Should I wait for my Spring grades in order to prove to admissions that my gpa dips do not actually reflect my academic capabilities, but only because I had too many things going on that needed to be done?? Any advice will help! Once again, my cGPA and sGPA will not change a great deal, only slightly.

Members don't see this ad.

Ill be taking it on the 23rd; I should get atleast a 28-32 though.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're taking the MCAT May 23rd? Then you will get your scores back late June so you might as well wait for your spring grades. Also, they look at grade trends by year, not quarter/semester.

Honestly, this is kind of hard to assess without the MCAT. That score can make you or break you in this whole game of med school apps.

Take MCAT first

First off, I'm a CA resident, URM, and for my Freshman year of college I went to a CSU. For my second year I went to a community college, and then transferred to a UC for my third and fourth year.
Right now my cGPA is a 3.59 and my sGPA: 3.45
I'm trying to figure out if I should wait for my Spring Quarter grades before I submit my application. If I wait, my cGPA will be about a 3.61-3.63 and my sGPA will be a 3.48-3.5. I know that's a very small difference but the reason why I don't know what to do is because of my grade trend:

First Year:
-Summer: 4.0
-Fall: 3.90
-Winter: 3.66

Second Year:
-Summer: 3.0
-Fall: 3.64

Third Year:
-Summer Session 1: 2.42 ->
I got a C in organic chemistry and a B in an upper division course; It was my first quarter at a UC and the first time I've ever been away from home. Due to my father passing away, I spent a lot of time going back home and spending time with my family, particular my younger sisters. I chose to attend a UC in order to challenge myself, but I underestimated the circumstances I was in and therefore, my gpa suffered.
-Summer Session 2: 3.60
-Fall: 3.23
-Winter: 3.025 --> I started working 20-30 hours a week at a Dr's Office while taking Biochem and Physiology (considered the hardest class at my school); all while continuing to volunteer.
-Spring: I should be getting a GPA of at least a 3.6

**Should I wait for my Spring grades in order to prove to admissions that my gpa dips do not actually reflect my academic capabilities, but only because I had too many things going on that needed to be done?? Any advice will help! Once again, my cGPA and sGPA will not change a great deal, only slightly.