IMG Family Medicine Applicants- Match 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rejection from St Peter Olympia program :(

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
@Eastvillage, I am unable to message you. But all I really wanted to ask was if this program is prematch or not. I checked FREIDA and their website but it doesn’t say anything about that. Also, they are not in the NRMP list (which could either be because they haven’t registered yet or are prematch).

In case anyone here knows, let me know! Thank you!:)

Last edited:
Is it really getting late now for IV invites? Is it maybe the time to rethink everything and probably start planning for Season 2020? Might as well right?

Is it really getting late now for IV invites? Is it maybe the time to rethink everything and probably start planning for Season 2020? Might as well right?
Same boat. Sounds like a smart plan. However the season doesn’t really end until much later. So that’s keep finger crossed and stay positive, hope is what move is forward. We have passed many stages already and we just need some extra mile

Reactions: 1 users
Same boat. Sounds like a smart plan. However the season doesn’t really end until much later. So that’s keep finger crossed and stay positive, hope is what move is forward. We have passed many stages already and we just need some extra mile

I am still having an ounce of hope in my emotional bank as of the moment. But the stress, and disappointments is still haunting. I wish I could've done better in my Steps But I can't rectify those scores anymore. I would just wish a program would see past scores, and give someone a shot too.

Reactions: 1 user
@Eastvillage, I am unable to message you. But all I really wanted to ask was if this program is prematch or not. I checked FREIDA and their website but it doesn’t say anything about that. Also, they are not in the NRMP list (which could either be because they haven’t registered yet or are prematch).

In case anyone here knows, let me know! Thank you!:)
I have no idea I assumed they were not prematch.

I am still having an ounce of hope in my emotional bank as of the moment. But the stress, and disappointments is still haunting. I wish I could've done better in my Steps But I can't rectify those scores anymore. I would just wish a program would see past scores, and give someone a shot too.

Don't worry about the step exams. Yes they are important when it comes to certain program that have filters. However, that does not mean it will prevent you from landing IVs. Now is the time to send LOIs and give it your all. There's a fine line of being persistent vs annoying when contacting the programs that you have genuine interest in. I can honestly saying going to the AAFP Conference and getting to know these programs was a game changer. It allowed me to really see where I would truly be a fit and I made it a point to keep in touch with programs that I felt I had a connection with. Most of us IMGs may have red flags because of steps or perhaps gaps in our academic timeline. I never thought I would land 1 IV, now let alone 6 at this moment. All of it I can credit to having a conversation going before ERAS opened and some just happened to work out for the best in that sense.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't worry about the step exams. Yes they are important when it comes to certain program that have filters. However, that does not mean it will prevent you from landing IVs. Now is the time to send LOIs and give it your all. There's a fine line of being persistent vs annoying when contacting the programs that you have genuine interest in. I can honestly saying going to the AAFP Conference and getting to know these programs was a game changer. It allowed me to really see where I would truly be a fit and I made it a point to keep in touch with programs that I felt I had a connection with. Most of us IMGs may have red flags because of steps or perhaps gaps in our academic timeline. I never thought I would land 1 IV, now let alone 6 at this moment. All of it I can credit to having a conversation going before ERAS opened and some just happened to work out for the best in that sense.

Mind in telling which conference? I wanted to join the AAFP Resident and Medical Student conference in Kansas before. Which conferences would you recommend attending?

Mind in telling which conference? I wanted to join the AAFP Resident and Medical Student conference in Kansas before. Which conferences would you recommend attending?

Me too! I also wanted to attend the AAFP Conference for residents and students but didn’t because apparently if you’re a graduate, they have a YOG limit of of 2 years in order to participate. And I graduated about 4 years ago so...

Me too! I also wanted to attend the AAFP Conference for residents and students but didn’t because apparently if you’re a graduate, they have a YOG limit of of 2 years in order to participate. And I graduated about 4 years ago so...

Same. I really wanted to join. Emailed them but told me to provide proof that I graduated 2 years ago. And I graduated 4 years prior too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Same got the email. Anyone got mails from SUNY Brooklyn programs?

I interviewed there last month, and when I scheduled my interview through ERAS they only had like 6 interview days for the whole season, with the last one being before Christmas. They're trying to end the show early on ...

I interviewed there last month, and when I scheduled my interview through ERAS they only had like 6 interview days for the whole season, with the last one being before Christmas. They're trying to end the show early on ...

Safe to say they are done with IV invitations?

I wasn't aware of a YOG limit to attend the conference, perhaps it's a new thing. There were plenty of graduates this past conference that I went to. I would say most of the student/graduate attendees are there to get to know these programs and what they are all about. My hope is that both of you match this season and don't have to worry about attending this conference, as you guys will be residents = )

But just for reference purposes, this AAFP conference takes place every summer in Kansas City around the first weekend of August. There are about 200 residency programs that are present and they have booths setup in a huge convention center. All the information is provided to you in terms of where in the hall they are situated. However, I highly recommend researching these programs at least a month in advance so that you know which programs you are interested in and want to know more about. You do not want to be that person approaching these booths and asking them if they accept IMGs or if they have a cutoff for step scores because that is information you can easily obtain on their website unless otherwise unspecified. Furthermore, it shows that you do not have genuine interest in them as you didn't prepare beforehand. You want to go to the conference well-prepared and with good, genuine questions about the program. I made a list of programs that I knew I was qualified for so I felt confident approaching these programs. Another important factor to know is that at most of these programs, the PD or faculty will be present along with the residents. Treat this as a pre-interview because this is one of the few times where you can get to meet these people in person without having to send emails or call them endlessly. If you have more questions, PM me. I hope this provides a better insight.

Safe to say they are done with IV invitations?

I think so.. I just checked right now and it seems as though they have canceled all remaining interview dates.. they must have already chosen the 6 residents they want to hire, I guess!

Screen Shot 2018-11-12 at 12.48.41 AM.png

I wasn't aware of a YOG limit to attend the conference, perhaps it's a new thing. There were plenty of graduates this past conference that I went to. I would say most of the student/graduate attendees are there to get to know these programs and what they are all about. My hope is that both of you match this season and don't have to worry about attending this conference, as you guys will be residents = )

But just for reference purposes, this AAFP conference takes place every summer in Kansas City around the first weekend of August. There are about 200 residency programs that are present and they have booths setup in a huge convention center. All the information is provided to you in terms of where in the hall they are situated. However, I highly recommend researching these programs at least a month in advance so that you know which programs you are interested in and want to know more about. You do not want to be that person approaching these booths and asking them if they accept IMGs or if they have a cutoff for step scores because that is information you can easily obtain on their website unless otherwise unspecified. Furthermore, it shows that you do not have genuine interest in them as you didn't prepare beforehand. You want to go to the conference well-prepared and with good, genuine questions about the program. I made a list of programs that I knew I was qualified for so I felt confident approaching these programs. Another important factor to know is that at most of these programs, the PD or faculty will be present along with the residents. Treat this as a pre-interview because this is one of the few times where you can get to meet these people in person without having to send emails or call them endlessly. If you have more questions, PM me. I hope this provides a better insight.

Thanks I will try to email AAFP regarding the attendance and how to register.

I think so.. I just checked right now and it seems as though they have canceled all remaining interview dates.. they must have already chosen the 6 residents they want to hire, I guess!

View attachment 241687

Thank you for the response. Atleast it brings closure to any questions if SUNY brooklyn will be sending more IVs.

Has anyone received an interview from IHI in Tulsa?

Has anyone received an interview from IHI in Tulsa?
You mean In His Image? I sent LOI early this month and haven’t heard anything.
Interestingly I haven’t gotten rejection for about a week now. Creepy.....

You mean In His Image? I sent LOI early this month and haven’t heard anything.
Interestingly I haven’t gotten rejection for about a week now. Creepy.....

In my what i have noticed, people who have 0 invites are those who need visa sponsorships. GC, USIMG, USMDs are tier 1 candidates as of the moment. From what I have heard (a reliable source) US citizens and permanent residents are given top priority for IVs this season. And was told if ever tier 1 applicants withdraw or back out invites are given to NON US (people needing visas) as they are tier 2 applicants.

In my what i have noticed, people who have 0 invites are those who need visa sponsorships. GC, USIMG, USMDs are tier 1 candidates as of the moment. From what I have heard (a reliable source) US citizens and permanent residents are given top priority for IVs this season. And was told if ever tier 1 applicants withdraw or back out invites are given to NON US (people needing visas) as they are tier 2 applicants.
Ya sounds like that is what's happening as I'm still sitting at 0 interviews. My only hope right now are like the 5-6 programs that have sent out rejections and I have not heard from yet, but for all I know I could just be waitlisted at those programs :(

Ya sounds like that is what's happening as I'm still sitting at 0 interviews. My only hope right now are like the 5-6 programs that have sent out rejections and I have not heard from yet, but for all I know I could just be waitlisted at those programs :(
I only know one program like you described.....hope things will bright up in the next few weeks

Still hoping for interviews. But If I think about it getting an interview does not totally mean Matched. So, as of this moment in time, I feel that IF I get Invites ill be happy. If I do not, come what may. Having depressive episodes does not help me in my daily life. Let us see how it goes.

has this always been the case of just this year? I feel like politics and all the "immigrants" talk are playing a big role this year when it comes to visa applicants

Last edited:
has this always been the case of just this year? I feel like politics and all the "immigrants" talk are playing a big role this year when it comes to visa applicants

I do not really know why but IMGs are most likely not to be immigrants why? J1 is a visa that needs 2 year home residency after. Most likely it is the cost, possible problems that Visa needing applicants may have that will give headaches to a program come June or July.

Hey guys! Anyone interviewed at mercyhealth rockford FM or is scheduled to iv? How did it go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cong
Hey guys! Anyone interviewed at mercyhealth rockford FM or is scheduled to iv? How did it go?

Congrats for the IV !!! I think Major Procrastinator has one. Would you mind sharing your Credentials?

Cong

Congrats for the IV !!! I think Major Procrastinator has one. Would you mind sharing your Credentials?

Thank you. Canadian studied outside north america with average scores, first attempt. 1 month us Observership. 2016.

Good day everyone. New week and new day.. Goodluck to everyone.. Hope something comes this week. Do keep us posted.

Reactions: 2 users
Good day everyone. New week and new day.. Goodluck to everyone.. Hope something comes this week. Do keep us posted.
It’s thanksgiving this week so there will be no news after Wednesday I feel like. I just want to hear something even if it’s a rejection. Haven’t heard anything since last regection which was 2 weeks ago. Ughhhh

It’s thanksgiving this week so there will be no news after Wednesday I feel like. I just want to hear something even if it’s a rejection. Haven’t heard anything since last regection which was 2 weeks ago. Ughhhh

Ow yeah it will be a short week this week.

Same here!

The season has been very quiet. I'm a first time applicant so this forum has been useful.
It seems like +200 programs really is the minimum to gain any traction. I applied to 156 and have one interview and one wait-list.

YOG 2018, Step 1 230, Step 2 CK 237, CS Pass. All first attempt. 3 months USCE, 3 LORs, and ECFMG certified in late October. This year's preliminary info from NRMP is that +400 U.S grads applied to FM relative to last year. Maybe that explains how tough this year has been.