IMG Family Medicine Applicants- Match 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What is happening with FM..
I applied to 70 programs and I have 6 rejections, haven't received a rejection from a FM program in like 2 weeks
No invites either obvs.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks!!

USIMG
Step 1 220
Step 2 CK 215, CS pending results
All first pass so far
And yes I am local to SoCal
As for spots, I honestly do not know, I was given 3 weeks of options MTWTh and rank my to 3 days and they will try to accommodate

Anyone heard or received anthing from NY upstate programs??

Members don't see this ad :)
Nothing at all

Even October is over now. Now i am scared!! Feel hopeless. I don’t even wait for an email anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what is the deal with family medicine? if I didnt have a connection, and apply to a new program I would be at zero. Is it really this hard to get invites now? Starting to wonder if I screwed up some how.

what is the deal with family medicine? if I didnt have a connection, and apply to a new program I would be at zero. Is it really this hard to get invites now? Starting to wonder if I screwed up some how.

My thoughts exactly.

This silence is deafening for sure, Im becoming neurotic checking my email every 30secs like a psycho.
Do you mind sharing which new program u applied and where you got your interview pliz. Thanks

Even October is over now. Now i am scared!! Feel hopeless. I don’t even wait for an email anymore.

I feel the same way, but according to a few residents interviews can go out until mid-late November. So don't lose hope.
Unfortunately visa requirements do put you lower on the list.

Reactions: 1 users
I have noticed this trend, IVs havent came from most of the places that sponser J1, isn't it strange ?? I heard some got IVs in Southern Illinois Program for J1, other than that...... I couldn't find any, even key states like Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Florida are all silent. Wonder what's happening ?? Anyone else felt that ??

I have noticed this trend, IVs havent came from most of the places that sponser J1, isn't it strange ?? I heard some got IVs in Southern Illinois Program for J1, other than that...... I couldn't find any, even key states like Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Florida are all silent. Wonder what's happening ?? Anyone else felt that ??

Even New York programs have been either ghosting or have only sent IVs to USMD, USIMG or GC non US IMG

I think FM is becoming more competitive than people think it is. AMGs are applying to more programs; DO students are also applying to those same programs too. As people start cancelling interviews over the next few weeks because they've reached their target goal in regions they wants, things will continue to trickle in.

I am officially neurotic now, anxiety is feasting at my table! January....cant last that long ....at this rate I will be in a mental health facility by then.

Pls calm down dudes & dudettes

It is getting harder as IMG FM. Most interviews will have gone out by now. One mistake that I see people making is not applying to enough programs. There are new US medical schools opening up = less spots for IMGs. I mean if you do rough napkin math, typically it's 300-400 applicants per 1 spot...and if you interview 10 applicants per spot, you're interviewing maybe 1-5% of the people that apply to the program. The more red flags you have, the more you programs you should apply to. And I would definitely be mentioning connections to the area if you have any to increase your chances.

It is getting harder as IMG FM. Most interviews will have gone out by now. One mistake that I see people making is not applying to enough programs. There are new US medical schools opening up = less spots for IMGs. I mean if you do rough napkin math, typically it's 300-400 applicants per 1 spot...and if you interview 10 applicants per spot, you're interviewing maybe 1-5% of the people that apply to the program. The more red flags you have, the more you programs you should apply to. And I would definitely be mentioning connections to the area if you have any to increase your chances.

Yeah I think there are more USMD or USIMGs applying to FM more and more. I guess due to the need of PC in general. Even though I have a strong connection to a certain city. Seems Non-US IMGs are getting the back seat as of now for invites. Specially those who need visa sponsorships.

Interview from a community program in NY. I don’t want to say the specific program name but just letting you guys know that FM interviews are still being given out. This one has many January dates open, don’t lose hope just yet!

Reactions: 3 users

I completely agree. It is getting more competitive and the more issues you have on your application, the less likely a program is going to consider you. Having ties to an area is important also because these programs are investing a lot of time and money towards training residents and their hope is that they stay in that area to practice. Having family ties is an important factor and I highly recommend reaching out to programs to mention that if you do have a connection to their region.

For the time being, I think the bigger programs have sent out their invites, but a majority of programs are still sending invites in batches. I just received one last week after a month of quietness. So hang in there because there's plenty of time left. I am not sure of this and maybe someone else who knows about this can elaborate, but I have heard that this year there has been a record breaking amount of applicants so that may factor into programs taking a longer time to send invites.

My friend who is also an IMG has double 240s and first attempts in all the steps has no interviews yet in both FM and IM, but has a very problematic MSPE. Just goes to show that programs really look at the entire application (which could also *possibly* be one of the reasons why it’s taking relatively long for some to send out invites).

Last edited:
Hi, has anyone gotten any Georgia FM residency interview Invites? If so, which ones? Thanks

Hi, has anyone gotten any Georgia FM residency interview Invites? If so, which ones? Thanks

None so far. No news what so ever on my part.. Well last email I got was from ERAS regarding the webinar..

Last 3 days of October. They assured October brings interviews. Keeping fingers crossed.

Last 3 days of October. They assured October brings interviews. Keeping fingers crossed.

Let us remember starting Oct 30 5pm ET until Oct 31 6pm ERAS will be dead for awhile observing holloween

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
staring to lose hope, haven't gotten a rejection or any form of communication in what seems like weeks.

Why cant they do that on the weekend

They have all off season to make updates

I was wondering about that too. They are doing it during a very important time of the year and it is a Weekday when most invites/rejections are sent. Should've done it last week IMO.

non us IMG
step 1 - 241
step 2ck - 228
step 2cs - failed the first attempt, retook it and expecting result 10th of dec
you - 2019 (Caribbean Med school)
13 months of USCE
1 volunteer experience
best graduating Med student from basic science award
1 strong LOR from Caribbean (FM), 2 LOR from IM
Started applying to hospitals in Oct, cos i was broke trying to retake step 2 cs
I applied to about 119 programs, a mix of IM and FM

0 IVs, 0 waitlists, 4 rejections
do i stand a chance this match cycle, anything i can do to maximize my chances?

non us IMG
step 1 - 241
step 2ck - 228
13 months of USCE
1 volunteer experience
Started applying to hospitals in Oct, cos i was broke trying to retake step 2 cs

We are all in the same boat. Hopefully we wont be on the same forum next year. Keep going, most have some red flag or the other.

non us IMG
step 1 - 241
step 2ck - 228
13 months of USCE
1 volunteer experience

I echo meimg, I have red flags as well and I was able to land some IVs. Make sure you reach out to programs that you may have a connection with, for example any ties you may have to certain geographical locations would be a great place to start. If you know residents in certain programs, make sure you reach out to them also. As it is implied, be cordial when contacting these programs as they are getting slammed with 1000s of applications. Realistically, it's hard to reach out to all programs that you applied. However, it's worth giving it a shot and contacting programs with any sort of personal connection you may have with them. Hope this helps and continue to keep faith.