Internship abroad for MBBS Doctor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cyclone22

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI,
I'm a final year MBBS Medical student in Sri Lanka.I wish to my internship in Australia,Canada or United Kingdom.Please give me some information about the proceure and the probability to get internship in these countries.Do I have have any options other than this countries to do my internship without much difficulty?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

cyclone22 said:
HI,
I'm a final year MBBS Medical student in Sri Lanka.I wish to my internship in Australia,Canada or United Kingdom.Please give me some information about the proceure and the probability to get internship in these countries.Do I have have any options other than this countries to do my internship without much difficulty?
Thanks.

Take what I say with a grain of salt as I am no expert on the matter

Canada - virtually impossible unless you want to do Family Practice in a rural setting. From what I understand they don't have internships as such, you get into your speciality training straight after med school. They might have positions that you only hold for one year... but I don't really see any point in doing those because once thats over you're on your own again and will probably have to repeat internship in the next country you travel to.

UK - traditional first stop for indian/pakistani/SL graduates? I probably know no more than you on the matter, I know more than a few people who tried this route and have ended up years later in NZ

Australia - No idea how hard it would be for you to get an internship. If it's anything like NZ, even the international students who spent 6 years at an NZ med school have great difficulty finding a place for internship.

As I said before, I don't really know much but am just trying to help. It may be a better idea to work for a few years in SL and then try to get a senior house officer position in aus/uk... where there may be less of a bottleneck.

I'm assuming you're aware you'll have to sit exams to practice in any of these countries

Another option is singapore - if your school is recognised. They're world class and from what I've heard you do learn alot - although they work you to the bone.

Purifyer said:
Take what I say with a grain of salt as I am no expert on the matter

Canada - virtually impossible unless you want to do Family Practice in a rural setting. From what I understand they don't have internships as such, you get into your speciality training straight after med school. They might have positions that you only hold for one year... but I don't really see any point in doing those because once thats over you're on your own again and will probably have to repeat internship in the next country you travel to.

UK - traditional first stop for indian/pakistani/SL graduates? I probably know no more than you on the matter, I know more than a few people who tried this route and have ended up years later in NZ

Australia - No idea how hard it would be for you to get an internship. If it's anything like NZ, even the international students who spent 6 years at an NZ med school have great difficulty finding a place for internship.

As I said before, I don't really know much but am just trying to help. It may be a better idea to work for a few years in SL and then try to get a senior house officer position in aus/uk... where there may be less of a bottleneck.

I'm assuming you're aware you'll have to sit exams to practice in any of these countries

Another option is singapore - if your school is recognised. They're world class and from what I've heard you do learn alot - although they work you to the bone.

Thank you very much.