Is patient exposure necessary during clinical volunteering?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I figured for sure this thread would drop from all the trollism here. But it kinda makes me laugh too. I mean, not exactly sure why you'd want to spend 8 years in this process when - yikes! - you could be rewarded with sick patients breathing on you.

Members don't see this ad.

I figured for sure this thread would drop from all the trollism here. But it kinda makes me laugh too. I mean, not exactly sure why you'd want to spend 8 years in this process when - yikes! - you could be rewarded with sick patients breathing on you.
You and others can continue to misuse this term, but it’s not my intention at all to “troll” in this thread. I’ve shadowed probably 10 different specialties besides EM before this volunteering experience and I’ve never seen patients who look like some of the ones who’ve walked into the ER. What’s even more offensive is the ER staff seriously expecting me to get involved in disgusting, base tasks like making physical contact with people who are abnormally and detestably overweight and sweating like pigs. It’s amazing to me that so many of you in this thread are comfortable with this sort of stuff. I guess it’s just different strokes for different folks. Personally, I’m glad I stay as far away from this stuff as possible. Nurses make decent money, but I’d rather drink gasoline than do what they do for a living. Just sick.

You and others can continue to misuse this term, but it’s not my intention at all to “troll” in this thread. I’ve shadowed probably 10 different specialties besides EM before this volunteering experience and I’ve never seen patients who look like some of the ones who’ve walked into the ER. What’s even more offensive is the ER staff seriously expecting me to get involved in disgusting, base tasks like making physical contact with people who are abnormally and detestably overweight and sweating like pigs. It’s amazing to me that so many of you in this thread are comfortable with this sort of stuff. I guess it’s just different strokes for different folks. Personally, I’m glad I stay as far away from this stuff as possible. Nurses make decent money, but I’d rather drink gasoline than do what they do for a living. Just sick.
You should have a bit more respect for them, if this is the case. You seemed to belittle them and their roles in the earlier pages of this thread.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So I just recently started volunteering at a hospital emergency room. I've only been there 2 days so far (8 hours total) but I have to say that I was quite alarmed at how repulsive some of these patients are.

Quite often we'll have patients who are obnoxiously loud and aggressive, hideously overweight and unkempt, and annoyingly obtuse at times (one lady flat out refused to give a urine sample even though the doctor said it was necessary to proceed to the next step of the diagnosis). One time a nurse asked me for assistance in lifting a morbidly obese, sweating patient from his wheelchair and onto the bed. It took every ounce of restraint in me to avoid bursting out laughing and asking her if she was joking, but I did manage to instead politely excuse myself by saying I was needed elsewhere. Had I known that we were expected to perform such lowly and degrading tasks ahead of time, I honestly never would have signed up for any of this volunteering crap.

So far I've tried to spend minimal time near patients. Not all of them are this bad, but a lot are, and I'm just not at all comfortable around them. Most of the time I'm just folding towels, making beds, cleaning tables and other useless maid work. I'd rather it stay this way to be honest, but I'm not really learning anything valuable.

So I guess this is my question - is it ok/expected for pre-meds to be sort of "hands-off" during clinical volunteering? Since this is an ER and there are doctors, nurses, technicians and patients, I can still categorize this as "clinical volunteering" on my applications, right?

I call troll. Your username looks familiar with someone who trolled recently too. Please do not feed the trolls everyone

Ok, you said you understood that this will happen as a med student and a resident, right? That's just how it works, and you're not an attending yet. So just see being a volunteer as an extension of that. It's just something that is sometimes going to happen.
Or option 2 -- you don't like it so see if you can get placed in a different department, or find a different volunteer position.

You should have a bit more respect for them, if this is the case. You seemed to belittle them and their roles in the earlier pages of this thread.
Trust me, they've earned my respect. For the life of me I cannot figure out how people willingly choose to do these jobs every day. I'm sure they could have done other things and made similar money.

Ok, you said you understood that this will happen as a med student and a resident, right? That's just how it works, and you're not an attending yet. So just see being a volunteer as an extension of that. It's just something that is sometimes going to happen.
Or option 2 -- you don't like it so see if you can get placed in a different department, or find a different volunteer position.
At most I'd say I'll be doing one year of it (during 3rd year). Highly doubtful that I do this during residency.

And like I said, this position is pretty chill. They don't expect much out of volunteers for the most part. There were only a few times when I was asked to assist in moving/lifting a patient (and I either refused or said I was busy doing other things). The rest of it is just busy work that doesn't really need to be done - running errands, wiping down rooms, re-stocking the fridge, handing out patient charts, etc. Plus I'm not even there for a full 4 hours and no one cares.

I’ve shadowed probably 10 different specialties besides EM before this volunteering experience and I’ve never seen patients who look like some of the ones who’ve walked into the ER.

Personally, I’m glad I stay as far away from this stuff as possible. Nurses make decent money, but I’d rather drink gasoline than do what they do for a living. Just sick.
That's definitely a reason why shadowing is really really important. This process helps you to see the work of a doctor at many different levels and in many different areas. Sometimes medicine is not pretty.

… And like I said, this position is pretty chill. .. There were only a few times when I was asked to assist in moving/lifting a patient (and I either refused or said I was busy doing other things). The rest of it is just busy work that doesn't really need to be done - running errands, wiping down rooms, re-stocking the fridge, handing out patient charts, etc.
You mean to say you'd prefer to do busy work than actually be useful? You'd rather run errands that associate with the patients? That's why I don't get why you want to be a doctor.

Reactions: 1 user
You mean to say you'd prefer to do busy work than actually be useful? You'd rather run errands that associate with the patients? That's why I don't get why you want to be a doctor.
Please dude... imagine a 350+ pound greasy oaf who's wet with his own sweat all over. Can you seriously tell me you'd be ok touching someone like that? It's one thing to ask him questions or give him a meal... but that is crossing the line, plain and simple.

Please dude... imagine a 350+ pound greasy oaf who's wet with his own sweat all over. Can you seriously tell me you'd be ok touching someone like that? It's one thing to ask him questions or give him a meal... but that is crossing the line, plain and simple.

Hey L2D-- theoretically, is it possible to subpoena SDN's records to find out the true identity of someone on the grounds of them being a giant douchebag?

Is it theoretically ethical to then send the identity and a sampling of posts to every med school in the country?

These are questions.

-Chipster.

Reactions: 6 users
Hey L2D-- theoretically, is it possible to subpoena SDN's records to find out the true identity of someone on the grounds of them being a giant douchebag?

Is it theoretically ethical to then send the identity and a sampling of posts to every med school in the country?

These are questions.

-Chipster.
Simmer down there, sparky. Why so sensitive all the time? You'd think I was insulting your family member or something the way you react to my posts. I'm just describing my short time in an activity all pre-meds participate in before they apply to medical school. This is how I feel about my experience there. If you feel differently, that's good for you. We're all unique.:cool:

At most I'd say I'll be doing one year of it (during 3rd year). Highly doubtful that I do this during residency.

And like I said, this position is pretty chill. They don't expect much out of volunteers for the most part. There were only a few times when I was asked to assist in moving/lifting a patient (and I either refused or said I was busy doing other things). The rest of it is just busy work that doesn't really need to be done - running errands, wiping down rooms, re-stocking the fridge, handing out patient charts, etc. Plus I'm not even there for a full 4 hours and no one cares.

alright then, if you don't want to do it, don't do it. no point doing things you don't want to do

Members don't see this ad :)

These are questions.

-Chipster.
@Law2Doc

OP, I found the perfect thing for you. Presenting....

VP03_3.jpg

The virtual patient!

Now you can have simulated patient contact without ever actually having to be within 100 yards of another human being. And it's kind of like playing a videogame, so that's two birds with one stone.

You can thank me later.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I'm not laughing at anyone. I just would rather keep my distance from certain types of people for hygienic purposes. I was never aware that doctors had to help carry other people. From everything I heard, nurses and techs did all that stuff.
Keep your distance for hygienic purposes? So sick people have to be clean to be cared for??? Idk man if you are disgusted by obese or "dirty" people I think you're going to have problems but that's just me

So what? I am studying and training to become one. Other volunteers there are aiming for nursing school, PA school, etc. It might be appropriate for them to be performing the tasks described throughout this thread and physically touching oversized and foully rancid creatures. But those jobs weren't designed for current or aspiring physicians.
"foully rancid creatures," huh? You must be a troll

"Abnormally and detestably overweight" is in fact a sickness there rifle. Whether it be self-inflicted or not, you as a future physician (maybe?) will have to come to terms with the fact that they are people, they are sick, they are in trouble, and you're the one that's supposed to be there for them, not to judge them. As far as "sweating like pigs" goes, sweating is a very normal part of physiology. How is it that you're a pre-med?

Hey OP, ever heard of a thing called GLOVES? Anything dirty will just sit on them! And you can throw them away when you're done seeing the patient!
That would be ideal, but the other people there were using their bare hands so it would be sort of awkward if I was the only one requesting gloves. So I instead just said no, which I suppose is even more awkward, but whatever. It is what it is.

Keep your distance for hygienic purposes? So sick people have to be clean to be cared for??? Idk man if you are disgusted by obese or "dirty" people I think you're going to have problems but that's just me
Not cared for, touched. There's a difference. I have no problem with diagnosing any patient, no matter how he looks/smells. But touching is a different story.

"foully rancid creatures," huh? You must be a troll
You act as if all of these people are genetically predisposed to these "sicknesses" as you call them. A lifestyle of sloth and unrestrained Burger King binges is more likely the reason.

You act as if all of these people are genetically predisposed to these "sicknesses" as you call them. A lifestyle of sloth and unrestrained Burger King binges is more likely the reason.
People are people. Calling a person a creature is a very offensive thing to say. We find it a bit off-putting.

That doesn't matter though. If they are sick it's your job to take care of them. Period.

And that includes laying hands on them

OP, it's not simply that you raised this question, which is weird to begin with, but that you continue to describe ill patients as you do. I mean, they came into the ER because they're not feeling well.

That doesn't matter though. If they are sick it's your job to take care of them. Period.

And that includes laying hands on them
Well, hopefully I match into Pathology or something else that requires ZERO patient contact then.

OP, it's not simply that you raised this question, which is weird to begin with, but that you continue to describe ill patients as you do. I mean, they came into the ER because they're not feeling well.
Well, the question was asked because I wasn't sure if I needed to actually interact with patients in order for this experience to qualify as "clinical" volunteering. Ideally any sort of volunteer work in a hospital/clinic could be considered clinical volunteering. As far as the whole "smell the patient" thing, well... I am doing so, but I'm intentionally avoiding doing much more than that because it disturbs me greatly to be in the vicinity of certain types of patients.

And I'm just describing them as I see them. I don't mean for it to come across as derogatory, but that is really how many of them look.

Well, hopefully I match into Pathology or something else that requires ZERO patient contact then.
You have to get into medical school first and that's not going to happen. Don't start whining at me now. Since you've read all the responses to this thread, you know why you'll never be a physician.

Honey, you haven't even gotten into medical school yet. I wouldn't even think about matching yet. That's like worrying about getting 100% completion before you've even beaten the first boss. And your not even close to ready for that.

Reactions: 3 users
You have to get into medical school first and that's not going to happen. Don't start whining at me now. Since you've read all the responses to this thread, you know why you'll never be a physician.
You sure about that? I have a beastly 3.92 gpa, I smoked the ACT and SAT and thus should have no trouble with the MCAT, and I should have at least average clinical experience by next year. I'd say I'm a lock. Many of you overestimate how difficult it is to get in.

You sure about that? I have a beastly 3.92 gpa, I smoked the ACT and SAT and thus should have no trouble with the MCAT, and I should have at least average clinical experience by next year. I'd say I'm a lock. Many of you overestimate how difficult it is to get in.
:roflcopter: :laugh::eyebrow:

From a fellow SAT smoker who plans to rock the MCAT, 'no trouble' is hilarious.
Those are not even similar tests...the SAT isn't even a studyable/study-worthy exam!

Reactions: 2 users
:roflcopter: :laugh::eyebrow:

From a fellow SAT smoker who plans to rock the MCAT, 'no trouble' is hilarious.
Those are not even similar tests...the SAT isn't even a studyable/study-worthy exam!
All these standardized entrance tests are all fairly similar to some degree. You don't really see someone who obliterated the ACT/SAT getting handled by the MCAT. The MCAT requires more studying and a larger knowledge base, but it shouldn't be that bad. And again, my GPA alone would easily get me into medical school as I'm sure it's in the >99th percentile for the majority of schools. It's going to be easy getting in.

Sounds like you would be a best fit for rads/path.

which means you need to bust your ass for 80+ hours for the four years of med school with insane studying, research, and working long hours on rotations to get the best possible residency to earn your chance to to work in the rads room or path lab seeing no sweaty fatty mcfatties.

Remember, your grades don't matter if your ECs aren't tip top. As you know, you need HIGHLY strong ECs, and your GPA means nothing for the MCAT. Until you take a practice test, then you will know. As you already know, you need to spend countless hours to max out your MCAT as high as you can.

Plus, interviewing. You need to express to them a broad amount of interests/hobbies(no adcom gives a **** about videogames or sports), and go in depth on your long hours of research and clinical experience. It's not bad, but a lot of work :D

which means you need to bust your ass for 80+ hours for the four years of med school with insane studying, research, and working long hours on rotations to get the best possible residency to earn your chance to to work in the rads room or path lab seeing no sweaty fatty mcfatties.
Well, you'd see the outlines of them. Still pretty scary, eh?

All these standardized entrance tests are all fairly similar to some degree. You don't really see someone who obliterated the ACT/SAT getting handled by the MCAT. The MCAT requires more studying and a larger knowledge base, but it shouldn't be that bad
Disagree. The MCAT requires studying, while the SAT requires absolutely ZERO studying. If someone is smart and a good standardized tester, but sucks at studying, they can easily rock the SAT and blow the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 users
Well, you'd see the outlines of them. Still pretty scary, eh?

At least he doesn't have to carry them ;)

Well, when he does a CT guided biopsy on the fatty, then maybe so.

Germophobe maybe. I take great care in maintaining proper hygiene because it's important. Not at all nauseous at the sight of blood though.

Again, none of the doctors I see have to get up close to the point of intimacy with truly repulsive people (I'm talking grossly overweight and profusely sweating). Most of them diagnose their patients while keeping a safe distance away.

Uhhh...you HAVE to be close with them. Especially when diagnosing them. Doing rectals if said person had bleeding. Doing a head-to-toe physical, examining their feet, taking their socks off and checking for ulcers, opening their mouth and looking into it, etc.

Nurses and technicians are the ones who do the dirty scut work like this. At least that's what I was led to believe. I've never seen a doctor required to help carry a patient when there are others who get PAID to do exactly that for a living. I always thought a doctor's job was to use his expertise and training acquired over 8+ years to properly diagnose and treat illness, not being a glorified caretaker.

You need to help lift the patient to examine his butt and back :p

Is your primary motivator really having time to play video games?

He can't live with only one day of videogames.

He NEVER talks about time with other people. OR working out/exercising. Hell, he never talk about video games with other people or playing sports(only talks about watching sports like an armchair QB).

Balanced life is a happy life. It might cause him an MI to know there are people who work hard, and PLAY hard. I work my butt off, play videogames, watching sports now(March Madness FTW), and have a date set up next week. Life is good, and his "high amount of free time" means nothing to me whatsoever. I'm still smiling every day :)

How can you honestly believe what you just wrote? You are saying that unless you go into surgery, aka "the slave's specialty," you cannot make 100K+ working light hours. That is just so wrong. I don't know how you can possibly believe this. What's more stunning is you aren't the only one.

Explain to me then, the standard salary of your part time job. Post some facts.

All these standardized entrance tests are all fairly similar to some degree. You don't really see someone who obliterated the ACT/SAT getting handled by the MCAT. The MCAT requires more studying and a larger knowledge base, but it shouldn't be that bad. And again, my GPA alone would easily get me into medical school as I'm sure it's in the >99th percentile for the majority of schools. It's going to be easy getting in.

Yeah you have no idea what you are talking about. They are completely different tests, and they focus on completely different skill sets. I didn't study for the ACT at all and killed it. You can't do that with the MCAT

He NEVER talks about time with other people. OR working out/exercising. Hell, he never talk about video games with other people or playing sports(only talks about watching sports like an armchair QB).

Balanced life is a happy life. It might cause him an MI to know there are people who work hard, and PLAY hard. I work my butt off, play videogames, watching sports now(March Madness FTW), and have a date set up next week. Life is good, and his "high amount of free time" means nothing to me whatsoever. I'm still smiling every day :)
I couldn't agree more. You sound like you're having fun! Being a doctor is pretty sweet then?

Good work. You mastered high school content.

Regardless of how much clinical time you have put in, if you can't talk about your interactions and what you learned from them, they are meaningless. If you don't get over yourself and start actually interacting with patients, you won't gain any experience.

Why don't you just man up, slap some gloves on buy some scrubs. You can always shower later. You also need to start practicing your alternate personality in the mirror. Your gonna have to put on one hell of a show to get an interviewer to believe your a good fit for medical school. Unless they skirt your clinical experiences, then you're GOLDEN!

Remember, your grades don't matter if your ECs aren't tip top. As you know, you need HIGHLY strong ECs, and your GPA means nothing for the MCAT. Until you take a practice test, then you will know. As you already know, you need to spend countless hours to max out your MCAT as high as you can.

Plus, interviewing. You need to express to them a broad amount of interests/hobbies(no adcom gives a **** about videogames or sports), and go in depth on your long hours of research and clinical experience. It's not bad, but a lot of work :D
Not necessarily. And there's also psychiatry, which is not a competitive specialty at all. Pathology is moderately competitive at best.

Not necessarily. And there's also psychiatry, which is not a competitive specialty at all. Pathology is moderately competitive at best.
Noooooooo

Says the guy who works 80 hours a week.:laugh:

I don't envy your "balanced life" that involves getting up at 4:30 am every day and coming back home to 1 hour of free time one bit. Never have and never will. My life's going to be waaaay better.

Explain to me then, the standard salary of your part time job. Post some facts.
The standard salary of a psychiatrist who works 45 hours is somewhere around 170K, an internist who works 45 hours is 185K, an EM doctor who works 45 hours is 250K, etc. It's very basic. Just scale down the salary in a way that is commensurate to the fewer hours worked and you will see how EASY it is for doctors to clear six figures working bum hours.

The reason hardly anyone does this is because 100-120K is considered low for medicine. Most medical students come from poor or middle class backgrounds and thus have to pay off 200K+ in student loans they've taken out. They cannot do this on a part time 100-120K salary. But my family is insanely rich and I therefore do not need to take out loans to pay for tuition. I won't be one cent in debt out of residency and therefore it doesn't really matter how much I make. So I'm going to work 20-25 hours and have 4-5 days off every week. Envy and hate all you want, but it's the truth.

Yeah you have no idea what you are talking about. They are completely different tests, and they focus on completely different skill sets. I didn't study for the ACT at all and killed it. You can't do that with the MCAT
I highly doubt you killed your ACT (no offense). And of course you studied. You memorized the necessary formulas from your geometry, algebra and trigonometry classes because you couldn't possibly do the math section without knowing certain equations. There is much more to study on the MCAT, which is the difference. Most of the studying is done by learning the material in your classes the first time. Since there is much more material on the MCAT, more time is required for studying. Simple.

Says the guy who works 80 hours a week.:laugh:

I don't envy your "balanced life" that involves getting up at 4:30 am every day and coming back home to 1 hour of free time one bit. Never have and never will. My life's going to be waaaay better.
That doctor seems pretty self actualized to me. That is something that has clearly eluded you and I don't think you will achieve it with your current mindset.

Status
Not open for further replies.