Is studying abroad perceived as negative?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ripkabird98

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I just finished my freshman year of undergrad, but for awhile I've been really considering taking advantage of my school's study abroad opportunities. Heck, assuming I like it, I could even see myself studying abroad multiple times (1 or 2 semesters plus winter/summer breaks). I'm not going to ask if they're seen as positive to med schools, because to be entirely honest, I don't care if it is, as that's not why I'm doing it. I want to do it for myself. Some of them would be just to experience and have fun in a different culture, and others (such as the break ones) would likely be more geared towards volunteer work.

However, I'm concerned that this may look bad to Adcoms when I apply to med school. I don't want to end up there and have them subtract a lot of merit from my application because I spent a semester (or more) taking classes outside of the US.

So basically, positive or not, is studying abroad (potentially more than once) through a program accredited by my university seen as negative to adcoms?

Members don't see this ad.

I would think it is not a negative or a positive in itself. If you can discuss it and bring greater meaning to it, it would be a strong positive. If it sounds like you did it just to stand out, it will be a negative.

I would think it is not a negative or a positive in itself. If you can discuss it and bring greater meaning to it, it would be a strong positive. If it sounds like you did it just to stand out, it will be a negative.

Definitely not doing it to stand out, I'm honestly just doing it because, simply put, it's something I want to do. I want to leave the country, and experience new environments, new people, new food, new cultures, etc. I'm not even that concerned about stretching it as a positive, because it's not meant for my resume in any way. It's just meant for my own self. I want to be able to leave college and look back on a stream of memories in different places, with different people, doing different things, and experience things that'll shift how I view and interact with the world.

Just do it, it's fine. Enjoy your college experience. Make sure if you're taking any prereq classes that the credits will transfer back to your home university.

Reactions: 1 user