JD/MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pearlaaaaa

Reaction score
Hello! Are there any JD-MD here? Or anyone close to finishing their MD and interested in a JD?
I need some advice please.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are roughly 15k doctor lawyers in the US. What do you want to know
I would know where to go find lawyers, thank you. I was looking for someone doing a JD MD or someone doing one of the degrees after the other. May be I should have moved this to a non traditional category or something.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks. That’s helpful. I wanted to connect with someone doing just that or anyone with some knowledge in the area.

I’m not pursing a JD-MD, but my grandfather is a JD-MD so I’m somewhat familiar with the field. As the post above said, it’s mainly for med malpractice and policy making. My grandfather started by getting his MD and then got his JD about 20 year after finishing med school, and it has been about 20 years since then. He currently works part time in med malpractice along with his plastic surgery private practice, and plans to continue with the med malpractice after retiring from plastics in the next few years. Not sure if this helps but I can try to answer questions you have.

Reactions: 3 users
Specifically interested in the value of doing the dual degree vs. JD after MD.

The dual degree can be quicker. Some programs will allow you complete it in 6 years instead of 7.

Reactions: 1 users
Being in residency or practice makes going back for your JD more challenging, but people I know have done it

If you find health care law interesting or you really want to influence policy go for it, but it is a niche career

That is very helpful thanks. It is interesting and quite impressive that he is still working as a physician.

I thought about doing a jd/mba. After working at a law firm, taking the LSAT, interviewing coworkers, and doing tons of research, I decided against it. I can be a doctor and still do policy work. In law school, you’re taught to be a lawyer. I don’t want to practice law, so I realized that a JD is a massive waste of money for me. Only pursue a dual degree if you’re absolutely certain you want both degrees. It’s a LOT of money/loans.

Members don't see this ad :)
A friend of mine did the combined path. She practices medicine and basically just did the JD in case she ever wants to get out of medicine and so she can understand law better if she ever is involved with a suit.

I hope having that option was/is worth the $$$$$$ debt lol

• Haha
  • Love
@notsobabydoc 99% sure this person is a lawyer. Perhaps he/she can shed light on the career change or fusion of both for their desires

@notsobabydoc 99% sure this person is a lawyer. Perhaps he/she can shed light on the career change or fusion of both for their desires

I worked in BigLaw as a litigator for many years. It's a very interesting combination to be JD/MD. I am actually a JD/MBA. The intersection between medicine and law is quite limited. If you want to work in malpractice, you probably don't need an MD. If you want to work as a physician, you probably don't need a JD. That being said, if you happen to have both, it's definitely an asset rather than a burden. My problem with MD/JD joint degree is that after you finish it, you have to pick one right away. There's no delay allowed in both medicine and law. Let me just explain it a bit. Should you decide to pursue law, you need to recruit in your 2L year for BigLaw, they don't look at anyone else. And if you decide not to join the firm after earning JD, you will never be able again, because law firms have strict class systems. first year, second year and so on and so forth. I think it's the same for medicine, you really can't decide to pursue residency 5 years after you graduate with an MD. So I will strongly discourage doing JD/MD. However JD/MBA or MD/MBA is a much better option. MBA is quite a versatile degree in that you can use that in any circumstance and there's no set training path after obtaining it. I didn't get my MBA along with JD. Instead, I got the MBA 5 years later after practicing law.

TLDR: very little sense to do JD/MD. More sense to do MD/MBA

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
I worked in BigLaw as a litigator for many years. It's a very interesting combination to be JD/MD. I am actually a JD/MBA. The intersection between medicine and law is quite limited. If you want to work in malpractice, you probably don't need an MD. If you want to work as a physician, you probably don't need a JD. That being said, if you happen to have both, it's definitely an asset rather than a burden. My problem with MD/JD joint degree is that after you finish it, you have to pick one right away. There's no delay allowed in both medicine and law. Let me just explain it a bit. Should you decide to pursue law, you need to recruit in your 2L year for BigLaw, they don't look at anyone else. And if you decide not to join the firm after earning JD, you will never be able again, because law firms have strict class systems. first year, second year and so on and so forth. I think it's the same for medicine, you really can't decide to pursue residency 5 years after you graduate with an MD. So I will strongly discourage doing JD/MD. However JD/MBA or MD/MBA is a much better option. MBA is quite a versatile degree in that you can use that in any circumstance and there's no set training path after obtaining it. I didn't get my MBA along with JD. Instead, I got the MBA 5 years later after practicing law.

Out of curiosity, if you could do it again, would you still get a JD? Especially now that you're changing paths?

:claps:

Out of curiosity, if you could do it again, would you still get a JD? Especially now that you're changing paths?

Well, I didn't have many choices at the time. On a student visa, and didn't want to go back to my home country where being gay is persecuted. I didn't want to risk not being able to remain in this country after undergraduate. So I picked the safe route of law and a job at a big law firm and the chance of staying in this country. If I could do that again without that constraint, I would already be a practicing physician at a big teaching hospital by now. But hey, how could anyone change their past? I am blessed to have this chance at this stage of my life to be who I always want to be!

Reactions: 12 users
Well, I didn't have many choices at the time. On a student visa, and didn't want to go back to my home country where being gay is persecuted. I didn't want to risk not being able to remain in this country after undergraduate. So I picked the safe route of law and a job at a big law firm and the chance of staying in this country. If I could do that again without that constraint, I would already be a practicing physician at a big teaching hospital by now. But hey, how could anyone change their past? I am blessed to have this chance at this stage of my life to be who I always want to be!
**** man. People hate on you but you got a super positive outlook. #teamnotsobabydoc

Reactions: 9 users
Are there any JD-MD here?
Yes ... can answer your questions.

All of the local MD/JDs I know attended JD law school, following MD school; and all of them were older than the rest of their JD classmates. One was a plastic surgeon, one was an orthopedic surgeon, one was a radiologist, and one was a psychiatrist.

I'm glad it all worked out for you and you were able to stay here! You definitely have a lot of grit, and that's very admirable. I'm so glad you're pursuing your dream profession now! Age is just a number!

Reactions: 2 users
I'm glad it all worked out for you and you were able to stay here! You definitely have a lot of grit, and that's very admirable. I'm so glad you're pursuing your dream profession now! Age is just a number!

That's what I told myself. Glad you don't think I am a troll anymore lol.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
That's what I told myself. Glad you don't think I am a troll anymore lol.
Haha no. After reading your post, I definitely don't. I must say, it is pretty unusual to get so many IIs on a Saturday! I was traumatized by an earlier troll, so I'm always on "trollwatch2k19." I'm sorry I pre-judged you. Let's be friends now :)

**** man. People hate on you but you got a super positive outlook. #teamnotsobabydoc

Thank you. When you have to deal with so much crap in life and survive it and be in a situation where I am now to do what you really want, you gain a lot of insight about life and what it means to be your true self.

• Love
One thing that I feel quite drawn to medicine, that is lacking in law and finance, is collegiality. Everyone I have met through this path has been super helpful and doesn't really act in a "quid pro quo" manner that I am so used to in law and business.

• Love
One thing that I feel quite drawn to medicine, that is lacking in law and finance, is collegiality. Everyone I have met through this path has been super
helpful and doesn't really act in a "quid pro quo" manner that I am so used to in law and business.

Agree. I think also medicine NEEDS ppl to be team oriented. Lives on actually on the line and so ppl have to work together vs other fields where it’s every man out for himself or (what can You do FOR ME?)

One thing that I feel quite drawn to medicine, that is lacking in law and finance, is collegiality. Everyone I have met through this path has been super helpful and doesn't really act in a "quid pro quo" manner that I am so used to in law and business.
THIS!!! When I worked at a firm (albeit as a paralegal), and I observed this so much between associates. I also know someone whose law school roommate stole their paper and submitted it as their own. They were eventually caught, but still. I haven't heard about med school being that toxic, thankfully!

THIS!!! When I worked at a firm (albeit as a paralegal), and I observed this so much between associates. I also know someone whose law school roommate stole their paper and submitted it as their own. They were eventually caught, but still. I haven't heard about med school being that toxic, thankfully!
T14 law schools, other than Yale, which has no grades, are the most cutthroat places on EARTH.

T14 law schools, other than Yale, which has no grades, are the most cutthroat places on EARTH.
It's so wild! I've also heard about people tearing pages out of library books! I don't understand why it has to be that way. I like how med schools are shifting away from grades. I bet it used to be way more competitive in school than it is now.

• Wow
It's so wild! I've also heard about people tearing pages out of library books! I don't understand why it has to be that way. I like how med schools are shifting away from grades. I bet it used to be way more competitive in school than it is now.
because when you apply for a job at a big law firm, ALL THEY CARE IS YOUR GPA! they literally don't give rats ass about anything else. in their eyes, they will take a 3.78 over a 3.77 anytime!

because when you apply for a job at a big law firm, ALL THEY CARE IS YOUR GPA! they literally don't give rats ass about anything else.
When you apply for a clerkship at a high court, all they care is your GPA. think of this way, if all residency program directors only cared about your step 1, and made a big distinction between 274 and 275. Imagine how crazy med school would be.

• Sad
When you apply for a clerkship at a high court, all they care is your GPA. think of this way, if all residency program directors only cared about your step 1, and made a big distinction between 274 and 275. Imagine how crazy med school would be.
That explains SO much. No wonder! I'm also super impressed you're already so informed about step 1 grading!

That explains SO much. No wonder! I'm also super impressed you're already so informed about step 1 grading!
Lol, have to keep myself in the game. But glad most places are so laid back. Yale is my top choice because of low stress!

They'd be silly not to take you!!
fingers crossed. They are the first one who showed me love after 5 days of completion! I love them too!! I cried when I saw that email from them lol. More excited than seeing my MCAT score by far!!

• Love
fingers crossed. They are the first one who showed me love after 5 days of completion! I love them too!! I cried when I saw that email from them lol. More excited than seeing my MCAT score by far!!
That's so exciting!! For them to send you an II that quickly, is an AMAZING sign!!! Hopefully you don't have to wait long before your interview!

Now word of caveat on my suggestion of not doing a MD/JD. If anyone is lucky enough to get into Yale Med, do that JD!!!! It's the most prestigious degree you will ever get! LOL

That's so exciting!! For them to send you an II that quickly, is an AMAZING sign!!! Hopefully you don't have to wait long before your interview!
Scheduled in early Dec. not too bad.

Not sure about all these assumptions about the law and it’s practice. By way of background, I am a JD, LLM, (YLS) —so while grades are certainly important for most, it’s not the end all. Many factors go into the selection of prestigious federal clerkships (which I have previously done as well as several large law firms) including background, interests, previous editorial roles in law school and other related experiences... That said, at YLS there is a mere signup for such positions as it’s true there are no grade (but one can obtain honors in many classes) so the competition for such positions within the institution is just mildly competitive depending on the specific circuit. Overall, I found the educational experience to be very collegial and supportive.

My best friend from law school is a JD/MD, but practiced law several years before opting for medicine. He is a clinical geneticist and has stayed somewhat active in related medical ethical issues...

Not sure about all these assumptions about the law and it’s practice. By way of background, I am a JD, LLM, (YLS) —so while grades are certainly important for most, it’s not the end all. Many factors go into the selection of prestigious federal clerkships (which I have previously done as well as several large law firms) including background, interests, previous editorial roles in law school and other related experiences... That said, at YLS there is a mere signup for such positions as it’s true there are no grade (but one can obtain honors in many classes) so the competition for such positions within the institution is just mildly competitive depending on the specific circuit. Overall, I found the educational experience to be very collegial and supportive.

My best friend from law school is a JD/MD, but practiced law several years before opting for medicine. He is a clinical geneticist and has stayed somewhat active in related medical ethical issues...

YLS opens the door for everything. There's no grades.... The mere mortals like the rest of T14, we (at MLS) had to fight hard lol. At all the other schools, editorial positions and others are mostly dependent on your grades. Yeah, you can write up to the journal but also most of them are up there based on grades. Law is really not a place where they care about your interests or background. Everyone is basically a number and law firms only care about profits.

Last edited:
Respectfully, I slightly disagree. There is certainly an inflection point of what grades are acceptable and initially how they get you through the door, but having been intimately intimately involved in both hiring committees and making individual hiring decisions at both firms and consulting entities, it might be more important initially coining out of school, but I was not swayed by the difference between say a 3.6 and a 3.77, and I often found in practice the difference to be either negligible or non-existent.

Respectfully, I slightly disagree. There is certainly an inflection point of what grades are acceptable and initially how they get you through the door, but having been intimately intimately involved in both hiring committees and making individual hiring decisions at both firms and consulting entities, it might be more important initially coining out of school, but I was not swayed by the difference between say a 3.6 and a 3.77, and I often found in practice the difference to be either negligible or non-existent.

I am glad to hear that. Try to recruit in 2008 when there was blood everywhere. half of my class was delayed to start at a firm for more than a year. They had to live off student loans and stipends. It's a highly cyclical business. Right before I started MLS, the class of 2006 was loaded with offers. people with 2.7 got 10 offers even including top 10 firms. My class, of 2009, is a lost generation. Now, it's in the upswing again so grades don't matter as much.

Yeah, well, the business is cyclical, and 2008 is an event I think one can expect, once or twice in a career. A friend still working at YLS, recently told me that last year, there was literally 45-50 recruits on campus to every rising third year, so they do enjoy a fair amount of professional options. This is further supported, and most folks don’t realize this, but YLS has their own separate endowment and it’s rather profound, I think over a billion supporting just 700 students (JD, LLM, PhD)— so it’s the reason many grads don’t opt for big law firms and the sorts, as the loan forgiveness is both liberal and generous.

Yeah, well, the business is cyclical, and 2008 is an event I think one can expect, once or twice in a career. A friend still working at YLS, recently told me that last year, there was literally 45-50 recruits on campus to every rising third year, so they do enjoy a fair amount of professional options. This is further supported, and most folks don’t realize this, but YLS has their own separate endowment and it’s rather profound, I think over a billion supporting just 700 students (JD, LLM, PhD)— so it’s the reason many grads don’t opt for big law firms and the sorts, as the loan forgiveness is both liberal and generous.

Yeah. totally horror story during that time. I can still remember the doom and the panic on everyone's face. Are you trying to go to med school now too?