Job interview questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ketamininus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There have been a few other threads that have touched on this topic, but I'm going to ask anyway. Can anyone offer some advice on questions to ask during a job interview? Let me paint the scenario of what I've got coming up:

I have 2 job interviews this month for staff anesthesiologist, both at semi-rural hospitals. This job will start July 2009, which will be my first job after residency. Both are W2 positions, and I would be an employee of the hospital. Salary, vacation, on-call, and benefits info has already been given.

All this out there, what are some other questions that I may want to ask? How about some left-of-center stuff that may not be obvious, especially since I'll be a newbie attending? Any help or advice is appreciated.

- Ket

Members don't see this ad.

I would want to know how much the hospital is billing for and collecting for your services.

Based on the fact that the hospital is employing you, it is likely that the payor mix is poor, and this is the only way they can get an anesthesiologist.....but you won't know until you look at the numbers.

And obviously if the hospital is making money on you.....you should probably change the arrangement.

There have been a few other threads that have touched on this topic, but I'm going to ask anyway. Can anyone offer some advice on questions to ask during a job interview? Let me paint the scenario of what I've got coming up:

I have 2 job interviews this month for staff anesthesiologist, both at semi-rural hospitals. This job will start July 2009, which will be my first job after residency. Both are W2 positions, and I would be an employee of the hospital. Salary, vacation, on-call, and benefits info has already been given.

All this out there, what are some other questions that I may want to ask? How about some left-of-center stuff that may not be obvious, especially since I'll be a newbie attending? Any help or advice is appreciated.

- Ket

Look carefully at the benefits. Make sure your malpractice coverage has a tail, you get money for education/CME, and ask about overtime. Get everything in writing and have a lawyer look it over. And yes, agree with Mil, find out more details about payer mix and billing. Very important, that essentially is what it is all about.

If you are concerned about being a newbie attending, ask what provisions they have in case you run into trouble. Is there an anesthesiologist available to help with difficult airways, etc. What is call like in terms of how many are on, what their duties are, etc. How is the call schedule determined? Feel out if you are going to get abused because you are new. Is there profit-sharing potential? Can you leave? Can they fire you and do they have to have cause? The list goes on and on. It's not easy to ask these kinds of questions. I would recommend checking the place out, and then if you are still interested, you can always ask by phone or visit again.

Getting a contract in hand is essential - that will outline a lot, and whatever is missing from there, you can follow-up on.

Members don't see this ad :)
And don't be shy....ask EVERYTHING that Gas told you to....be pushy if you have to....

I didn't ask all the right questions when I came to my current gig because:

1) I didn't know any better
2) I was timid about it
3) I assumed that most people were like the folks that I served with in the Navy

...and because of the above...I suffered for a LONG time.

Get firm answers to everything...BE ANNOYING if you have to

I would want to know how much the hospital is billing for and collecting for your services.

Based on the fact that the hospital is employing you, it is likely that the payor mix is poor, and this is the only way they can get an anesthesiologist.....but you won't know until you look at the numbers.

And obviously if the hospital is making money on you.....you should probably change the arrangement.

Nice answer, but I need some clarification on this point. Do I need something in writing stating what their payor mix is, and if so how would this be provided? I know what it is at my current hospital, but that's all been word-of-mouth from my attendings and other staff.

By "changing the arrangement," how exactly would I suggest that? More salary? More benefits? More <fill in the blank>?

I can tell you that the starting salary for one job is $364K and the other is $375K.

Nice answer, but I need some clarification on this point. Do I need something in writing stating what their payor mix is, and if so how would this be provided? I know what it is at my current hospital, but that's all been word-of-mouth from my attendings and other staff.

By "changing the arrangement," how exactly would I suggest that? More salary? More benefits? More <fill in the blank>?

I can tell you that the starting salary for one job is $364K and the other is $375K.

The OR manager will have a case list of everything done in the previous year.

The list will contain:

- cases performed
- type of insurance
- time per case

Will that information, a billing company can calculate for you what the generated/collected revenue was for the year minus billing fees.

If that number is higher than your compensation package, then the hospital is making money on you....if not, you're income is being subsidized.

You have to ask yourself if you want the hassle of working for yourself, and making more money, and having control over what you do....versus working for the hospital.

Starting salary that high? I take it that benefits are not mentioned here, neither is the potential for partner? W2 or 1099? What are the hours like, types of cases?

Uh...wow.

Starting salary that high? I take it that benefits are not mentioned here, neither is the potential for partner? W2 or 1099? What are the hours like, types of cases?

Uh...wow.

Read the info I listed above for some of the answers you asked about. W2 position, private group. High starting salary likely as it is in a rural hospital where some docs wouldn't want to go.

The job of these two I like most offers about 45-50 hours per week, beeper call from home 3-4 times per month, and 50% supervision of CRNA's. Good mix of cases, but mostly B&B. Some neuro, but no trauma. Ability to do hearts will net a higher salary, but is not mandatory to do hearts to be on staff.

I don't know all the details yet about partnership, but I know it's one year to get it.

Holy Cow, there are a ton of questions you need to ask and I can't scratch the surface here so PM me with any questions you have or ask them here and we can go through it.

Most of the questions that Gas mentioned will be answered in the contract.

One thing I would ask is why are the anesthesiologists hospital employees? What happened to the last group if there was one that lead to the hospital employee model?

Who knows your salary, surgeons etc? The board will have to approve the salary and if any surgeon/physician is on the board, then they will all know your salary (even though it is illegal for them to disclose it) and you will hear about it from time to time since you will be making more than some of the surgeons.

Who does the billing for the group? What's the AR (accounts receivable), collections, how many days in AR (60 or less is pretty good from what I can tell)?

Are you in-house for call and if not is there any talk of you being in-house? Why did the last 3 members leave? Can you speak to them? How supportive is administration to the anesthesia dept? Will they go to bat for you? Any stipend for medical director? Has there been any salary changes in the last 5 yrs? Are all benefits (mal practice, health ins, retirement, etc) included in the salary or do they cover them in addition? This is covered in the contract.

You need to be cordial and interested during the interview. The particulars can be worked out after the interview.