Kansas State c/o 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I emailed Mary Sue and she said they were planning on mailing out decisions the end of last week. Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone else not heard anything yet from K-State?

If you go through and read the thread, there's quite a few of us that haven't received anything from K-State. Somewhere halfway through, I explained what's going on, based on what happened last year.

So I just Received an email from Mary Sue stating that those of us who received interviews should be receiving letters by the end of the week because letters are being put in the mail this morning... So start checking Wednesday/ Thursday depending on where you live... Good luck everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Recieved my letter in the mail today... I was selected as an alternate. Dated 2/4

They must have sent some out already then... Dang it. Here is to worrying :nailbiting:

Recieved my letter in the mail today... I was selected as an alternate. Dated 2/4
Is your last name in the first half of the alphabet? Just trying to figure out the timing... Cause Mary Sue was saying they were getting put in the mail today.

Received my letter today and am an alternate as well.

Well here is to waiting some more... Alternate list

So, to everyone else who hasn't heard from K-State since October, I'll be contacting them next Thursday to see what's up with us in limbo land.

Well I'm hoping there's a few more acceptances out there, the suspense is killing me!

I got alternate. Here is to hoping I get a phone call on April 16th

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Everyone! Don't be too bummed about the alternate list! The first year, I was flat out denied and the second year I was called off the wait list on April 17th. I actually had already accepted an offer at another school and paid the deposit there. As soon as I heard from Kansas State, I immediately accepted their offer. There is still plenty of hope! Kansas State is such a great school and I couldn't imagine being anywhere else! If you want to learn more than you could ever imagine from teachers who will stop at nothing to see you succeed with a bunch of classmates who turn into family, Kansas State University College of Veterinary Medicine is the place to be. Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
My wife just received her acceptance letter from K-State today (OOS, interviewed on December 20th).

I just got an acceptance as well!! :D Interviewed 1/30.

Reactions: 2 users
Sorry I gave up my seat though :) Good luck!

Last edited:
Alternate list as well Cmmore15... but yes, there is still hope! :) Does anyone know if they move people off the waitlist before April 15th?

Received my acceptance letter today!!!!!! Interviewed 12/20 OOS

Received my acceptance letter in the mail today :) OOS interviewed 1/30

Reactions: 1 users
I have a question for current students! How much do you typically spend on books each semester?

Has anyone from the east coast still not gotten a letter after interviewing?

I have a question for current students! How much do you typically spend on books each semester?
Depends on the semester, but not a ton. Each semester they'll give you a big list of books often adding up to quite the expense...don't buy them all. Many of the first years do right away and then some or all of them collect dust, and then they regret spending the money. I feel like I've bought between 0-2 books per semester, plus a couple for my own personal reference (Merck, Nerdbook, Clinical Vet Advisor type references). Sometimes you can find books online for free too. If you're a book reader/hoarder then by all means go for it. If you want to save money and only get what you need (cause for a lot of classes the course notes are more than sufficient) ask the students ahead of you before buying books each semester.

Called Kansas, turns out my letter actually got lost in the mail. They emailed me a copy. Alternate.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I never heard back from Kansas :rolleyes:

I never heard back from Kansas :rolleyes:
If it was after an interview, call for your letter to be forwarded. If you didn't interview, then i guess it's up to you if you want them to tell you anything.

Does anyone know how many alternate positions they usually go through? or at least how many seats they usually have as of April 15th?

Does anyone know how many alternate positions they usually go through? or at least how many seats they usually have as of April 15th?

The first year I was on the wait list, they went through about 20 people

http://www.vet.k-state.edu/admissions/class-statistics.html

They offer many of the alternates accepted positions if you look at the statistics! So I feel like if you made it to the waitlist, you stand a pretty good chance at being pulled up. It says right in the alternate letter too that they will pull alternates onto the accepted list when other accepted students relinquish their positions. So it is quite possible you will hear from Kansas before April 15th! I also remember talking to one of the student ambassadors about them too and she said they're pretty good about pulling students up off the waitlist!

They only offered 6 wait listed people a position for the class of 2017 according to that chart. The initially accept around 200 people every year. They accepted 200 people my first year and wait listed 110.

I don't want to be the Debby downer, but I've been there, done that with Kansas the last two years. For the class about five or six years ago, they pulled everyone off the wait list and then apparently only 6 for the class of 2017. It's really hard to gauge how many people get pulled. Not going to lie, it's better to assume you're not going to get pulled off.

Just got this email, while ironically driving past the exit to go to Manhattan, Kansas. Lol

"Dear Applicant:

From approximately 1000 applications for the veterinary Class of 2020 at Kansas State University, about 350 were selected based on composite GRE scores and science GPA’s for interviews. Unfortunately, you were not selected for an interview. We do not anticipate inviting additional applicants for interviews during this admissions cycle.

If you have questions regarding how you can become a more competitive applicant for the Class of 2021, please feel free to contact Dr. Ronnie Elmore".

There you go.

I spoke with Dr. Elmore and he was saying that they don't give out 200 offers right off the bat. He said they do offer more seats than there are to fill because the do realize that some people are going to turn down the offers. I am sure the chart shown on that website shows not only the initial offers but the alternate offers as well. I am treating it as if I got a straight up rejection and planning for my fall semester as if I will be going for my masters. But I am with Greenbean2207, that I think the statistics are a little less bleak than they may seem. I am still really hopeful.

I spoke with Dr. Elmore and he was saying that they don't give out 200 offers right off the bat. He said they do offer more seats than there are to fill because the do realize that some people are going to turn down the offers. I am sure the chart shown on that website shows not only the initial offers but the alternate offers as well. I am treating it as if I got a straight up rejection and planning for my fall semester as if I will be going for my masters. But I am with Greenbean2207, that I think the statistics are a little less bleak than they may seem. I am still really hopeful.

They must have changed it since my interview because we were told at our pizza party how many people get outright accepted from the get go. Granted, there was a different dean, too.

I'm not trying to be mean about it, though. It's just I remember everyone saying, "Ooh you'll still get called," or whatever, and then not getting off the wait list. Ever since, I always try to bring a realistic perspective that there's the possibility of not getting in; I don't agree with a ton of false hope. But you sound like you've got a good idea of what's going on, so that works.

They have been very cryptic about all my questions though so maybe I read into it wrong. I just don't understand why they don't tell you position on the alternate list because being first alternate for oos is way different that 25th alternate. Idk. I haven't slept well the last 2 nights just overthinking, so I was just looking for something to put my mind a little more at ease.

They only offered 6 wait listed people a position for the class of 2017 according to that chart. The initially accept around 200 people every year. They accepted 200 people my first year and wait listed 110.

I don't want to be the Debby downer, but I've been there, done that with Kansas the last two years. For the class about five or six years ago, they pulled everyone off the wait list and then apparently only 6 for the class of 2017. It's really hard to gauge how many people get pulled. Not going to lie, it's better to assume you're not going to get pulled off.

I agree. I'd rather assume I won't get pulled off than make plans that I will.
I'm IS, wait listed. But my chances are even more unlikely because IS students don't reject their spots. I'll gladly eat my words if I'm wrong, however.

Just got this email, while ironically driving past the exit to go to Manhattan, Kansas. Lol

"Dear Applicant:

From approximately 1000 applications for the veterinary Class of 2020 at Kansas State University, about 350 were selected based on composite GRE scores and science GPA’s for interviews. Unfortunately, you were not selected for an interview. We do not anticipate inviting additional applicants for interviews during this admissions cycle.

If you have questions regarding how you can become a more competitive applicant for the Class of 2021, please feel free to contact Dr. Ronnie Elmore".

There you go.
Sorry bats. :( I'm glad they didn't completely leave you hanging this year though! Good luck with Illinois! (and any other schools you might be waiting on, I have trouble keeping track...)

I just don't understand why they don't tell you position on the alternate list because being first alternate for oos is way different that 25th alternate.
Very few schools will tell you your rank on the alternate list, and I'm not even sure if K State does rank the list. I know at least at other schools like Mizzou, they don't just have one person at the top of the list that they know they'll extend an offer to next. If a spot opens up, they reevaluate the alternate pool as a whole to determine who would be the best addition to the class. They probably won't be able to guess your odds of being called off the alternate list until after April 15th anyway.

But I think you've got the right attitude of hoping for the best but preparing for the worst. I know the uncertainty sucks, I was waitlisted at Illinois last year. Stay strong everyone!

It's all good. Thanks for the well wishes!

I'm trying to see how you're reading that 6 people were taken from the wait list according to this chart, but I don't see anything about wait listed students on the chart at all? How did you figure out 6 people off the wait list?

During the interview weekend, Dr. Elmore said it takes an average of three offers to fill each seat, and that around 360 total offers of admission will be made before they fill the class (his estimate based on previous years). This goes well into the wait list! This was after I asked him specifically about the waitlist! Keep the hope, everyone!

I'm trying to see how you're reading that 6 people were taken from the wait list according to this chart, but I don't see anything about wait listed students on the chart at all? How did you figure out 6 people off the wait list?

The last time I interviewed, I was told that 200 people are offered positions off the bat and that's how I thought it still was (which apparently it isn't).

I have received and accepted an offer from my in-state school, so I will be declining my seat at KSU. Hope this gives someone else a chance at this wonderful school! :) Good luck to everyone on the waitlist!

Sorry I just saw this! I just updated my budget so I know I spent exactly $266.68 on textbooks for my first year. First semester I bought the micro book, and the gross anatomy book each for $60, but plenty of people didn't get them and I honestly think I would have been fine without them. You have to buy the dissection guide each semester-- mine was $80 first semester and $66 second semester. The book list they send out has like $1200 worth of books. You'll need a stethoscope, dissection kit (~50 bucks from the book store?), lab coat, scalpel blades (my lab group split a box from Amazon for a few dollars), and your own gloves too!

I keep a very tight budget if anyone else wants to know what cost of living is like in Manhattan!

I sent off my deposit yesterday! :soexcited:Is anyone else definitely going to K State?

I asked Dr Elmore for a file review yesterday and he actually responded telling me that if things go like previous years, I'm likely to get an offer! :) really hoping things go like previous years!

I sent off my deposit yesterday! :soexcited:Is anyone else definitely going to K State?
Congrats!! I LOVED K-State and am still seriously considering it, the OOS tuition is just way more than the OOS tuition at the other school I've been accepted to. It's going to be a really tough decision for me!

I emailed Dr. Elmore this morning and asked for a file review as well. He said "
You are high on our alternate list and will likely get an offer from us after April 15 if this year is like previous years. Therefore, let's wait and see until then before exploring what you might do to become more competitive." That helped put me at ease so much!!! Can hardly wait until April/ May!!!

Reactions: 2 users