Keep hope alive!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChasinDreams9

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN fam,

I'm a semi-SDN lurker and just wanted to send out some positive vibes and share my story about how I just got into a top DO school after 5 MCATs and 4 applications. I've made plenty of mistakes along the way: difficult family situations, letting the pre-med pressure overwhelm me at times leading to mediocre GPAs/MCATs, self-inflicted obstacles, rushing my MCATs and applications when I clearly wasn't ready in retrospect, etc. - some of these things that some of you may relate to.

However, I just wanted to share this with you all if anyone just needed some hope during one of the most strenuous phases of your life - the medical school application process. I can speak from experience about how many ups and downs we all have during this pre-med journey and a lot of times it's easy to let the pressure get to you, feel like you want to give up, and have no idea where your life is going if this whole medicine thing doesn't work out.

Despite all of this, even if it only helps one person, I do want to say to keep hope alive! If my story is any indication, if you're genuinely passionate about being a physician and you're in this profession for the right reasons, you can definitely make it happen. I'm not sure if I'm the person to give out advice, but if you're an underdog applicant like myself (or certainly feel like one) I'd say the biggest things I learned on my journey are these:

1. Trust the guidance you receive - if I had listened to the difficult advice I received earlier I could've gotten into med school a few years earlier with fewer MCATs,
2. Do an introspective look at your weaknesses and fix them - whether it's developing more volunteering, research, extracurriculars, going into a postbac/master's program, re-taking the MCAT, etc. and,
3. Believe in yourself. This last one is key. SDN (and the pre-med journey in general) can be a simultaneously wonderful yet scary place. I personally avoided a lot of SDN since it added to my stress level, but if you have opportunities to learn more, help yourself and not feel overwhelmed, use it the right way to develop a positive mindset and use it to help you get to where you want to go.

Sorry for the rambling, but I just wanted to quickly write a post and give even one person hope to keep pushing. If I can make it despite all the mistakes I made during and after undergrad, so can you! Best of luck and I know you can do it. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 11 users
Hi SDN fam,

I'm a semi-SDN lurker and just wanted to send out some positive vibes and share my story about how I just got into a top DO school after 5 MCATs and 4 applications. I've made plenty of mistakes along the way: difficult family situations, letting the pre-med pressure overwhelm me at times leading to mediocre GPAs/MCATs, self-inflicted obstacles, rushing my MCATs and applications when I clearly wasn't ready in retrospect, etc. - some of these things that some of you may relate to.

However, I just wanted to share this with you all if anyone just needed some hope during one of the most strenuous phases of your life - the medical school application process. I can speak from experience about how many ups and downs we all have during this pre-med journey and a lot of times it's easy to let the pressure get to you, feel like you want to give up, and have no idea where your life is going if this whole medicine thing doesn't work out.

Despite all of this, even if it only helps one person, I do want to say to keep hope alive! If my story is any indication, if you're genuinely passionate about being a physician and you're in this profession for the right reasons, you can definitely make it happen. I'm not sure if I'm the person to give out advice, but if you're an underdog applicant like myself (or certainly feel like one) I'd say the biggest things I learned on my journey are these:

1. Trust the guidance you receive - if I had listened to the difficult advice I received earlier I could've gotten into med school a few years earlier with fewer MCATs,
2. Do an introspective look at your weaknesses and fix them - whether it's developing more volunteering, research, extracurriculars, going into a postbac/master's program, re-taking the MCAT, etc. and,
3. Believe in yourself. This last one is key. SDN (and the pre-med journey in general) can be a simultaneously wonderful yet scary place. I personally avoided a lot of SDN since it added to my stress level, but if you have opportunities to learn more, help yourself and not feel overwhelmed, use it the right way to develop a positive mindset and use it to help you get to where you want to go.

Sorry for the rambling, but I just wanted to quickly write a post and give even one person hope to keep pushing. If I can make it despite all the mistakes I made during and after undergrad, so can you! Best of luck and I know you can do it. :)

Yup, only the fool believes someone can't get into med school with several MCAT attempts and extensive Master/post bac. work.

Glad to hear the great news.

Did you mean to say "4 application cycles"?

Do you mind sharing you 5 MCAT scores?

Reactions: 1 user
Yup, only the fool believes someone can't get into med school with several MCAT attempts and extensive Master/post bac. work.

Glad to hear the great news.

Did you mean to say "4 application cycles"?

Do you mind sharing you 5 MCAT scores?
Thanks! And yes this is my 4th application cycle, although this is the first one where I really submitted my best app after a good MCAT and Master's. My first 4 MCAT scores ranged from 20th-60th percentile until this 5th one which was 85th percentile.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! And yes this is my 4th application cycle, although this is the first one where I really submitted my best app after a good MCAT and Master's. My first 4 MCAT scores ranged from 20th-60th percentile until this 5th one which was 85th percentile.

I'm surprised you didn't get accepted with the 60th percentile one. What happened there?

Last edited:
I'm surprised you didn't get accepted with the 60th percentile one. What happened there?
I think getting into med school is truly holistic so I think despite meeting or surpassing their MCAT average, they still weren't too happy with my other possible weaknesses. I think what got me over the line this time was a much improved MCAT score, more meaningful service and research experiences, and excelling in my Master's program if that helps.

Well done, you didn't give up and proved through your commitment that you are in this for the long haul! Now take a step back and get ready for the new beast of a journey that is medical school!

Good for you man. I am always really impressed by people who dont give up on this path and eventually find their way in through sheer determination.

No more spending money on applying haha. Congrats, you deserve it!

Congrats and thanks for sharing your story! Hopefully others who are in the same position see this and give them some hope!

Thanks guys! And yep, that was the intention - it's real easy to get sucked into the negativity of SDN, but for those going through this difficult process, I just wanted to provide some positive vibes . We definitely need more of that in this profession, and in this world!