Keep being waitlisted...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOCMom84

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So far I participated in 2 interviews with both landing me on the waitlist. I have 4 more interviews to go and I'm starting to feel like I'm just wasting my money. I have spoken with the schools and they said I interviewed well. However, both have recommended that I take more science courses and possibly retake the MCAT. I guess I'm just a little confused. They have all that information when I submit my primary so why only after my interview does it make a difference. It's just frustrating to spend the time and money to fly all these places to be waitlisted by information they had before they even offered to have me come out. If I understand correctly, the admissions committee reviews everything again and makes the final decision? Are they made aware of the answers given in the interview? I'm only asking because I am always asked what happened with my first MCAT and I always explain that my daughter passed away shortly before I took it and that's why there is a huge jump from my first take and my 2nd take but is the Admissions committee made aware of that? I'm just feeling a little lost on what to do going forward.

Members don't see this ad.

It is not unusual to be placed on the waitlist after an interview. Acceptances off the waitlist can occur as late as next July. Keep attending more interviews.
What are your sGPA and cGPA and MCAT ? Which schools did you apply to ?

Reactions: 1 user
So far I participated in 2 interviews with both landing me on the waitlist. I have 4 more interviews to go and I'm starting to feel like I'm just wasting my money. I have spoken with the schools and they said I interviewed well. However, both have recommended that I take more science courses and possibly retake the MCAT. I guess I'm just a little confused. They have all that information when I submit my primary so why only after my interview does it make a difference. It's just frustrating to spend the time and money to fly all these places to be waitlisted by information they had before they even offered to have me come out. If I understand correctly, the admissions committee reviews everything again and makes the final decision? Are they made aware of the answers given in the interview? I'm only asking because I am always asked what happened with my first MCAT and I always explain that my daughter passed away shortly before I took it and that's why there is a huge jump from my first take and my 2nd take but is the Admissions committee made aware of that? I'm just feeling a little lost on what to do going forward.
On my paper you might be passable, but the interviewers were looking for you to seal the deal. They might have felt "nice kid, but i;'m worried about that MCAT score" or similar.

Alternatively, no med school is going to tell you that you bombed your interview.

i suggest working on interview skills.

What were your stats?

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you have any doubt that you’re not interviewing well, go Read “Nailing the medical school interview” by Suzanne Miller.

Reactions: 1 users
Stats?

6 interviews is good, and a lot of DO students come off the waitlist so that isn't really a concern at this point.

Reactions: 2 users
I've never heard of a school giving feedback to waitlisted folks :confused:

Reactions: 1 users
I have an MCAT of 499 a sGPA of 3.7, and cGPA of 3.5. I have thousands of volunteer hours, over 600 hours of shadowing, really strong letters of recommendation. My issue is that I have an F and a D on my transcript from the beginning of my schooling. The last 2 years I had a strong upward trend.

I have an MCAT of 499 a sGPA of 3.7, and cGPA of 3.5. I have thousands of volunteer hours, over 600 hours of shadowing, really strong letters of recommendation. My issue is that I have an F and a D on my transcript from the beginning of my schooling. The last 2 years I had a strong upward trend.

Is that your only MCAT? And would you care to respond to the "Take more science courses" comment that schools gave you?

The school was right in saying re-take MCAT - a 499 is pretty weak.
But, "take more classes" sounds like rubbish. You have a good GPA, unless that GPA is bc you took a fluff major.

Take some time to work in the field. Clinical experience is second to MCAT in my opinion.

Good luck.

It is probably because of your MCAT score of 499 that you are being waitlisted at this time. I do not know which schools you applied to but you should include these schools in your application since their median MCAT scores are in the 498 to 502 range;
VCOM (all 4 schools). The VCOM median is in the 499 to 500 range and they like applicants with high a GPA which you have
CUSOM
UIWSOM
ARCOM
NYIT-Arkansas
ACOM
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
BCOM
MU-COM
LECOM (all schools)

Your GPA is great. Having an F and a D from the beginning of your schooling is a non-issue. The 499 MCAT is definitely more concerning... any chance of retaking that? Or you can play the waitlist game. Better than a rejection!

It’s stupid but sadly just one more correct question on the mcat to get to 500 would likely make a world of difference.

I'm only asking because I am always asked what happened with my first MCAT and I always explain that my daughter passed away shortly before I took it and that's why there is a huge jump from my first take and my 2nd take but is the Admissions committee made aware of that? I'm just feeling a little lost on what to do going forward.
For one, I'm sorry to hear about your daughter. That must have been rough.
You got a 499 on your MCAT round 2? It's not a great score, I don't know what your first score is but that 499 doesn't inspire crazy confidence.

is this useful for MMI too?

Author has a separate book on MMIs only. I believe this book will cover a good amount for you to do well on a MMI. I have not gone through a MMI so I cannot give my input.

Thanks for all the advice, I was accepted into medical school yesterday! Good luck to everyone else

Reactions: 4 users
The school was right in saying re-take MCAT - a 499 is pretty weak.
But, "take more classes" sounds like rubbish. You have a good GPA, unless that GPA is bc you took a fluff major.

Take some time to work in the field. Clinical experience is second to MCAT in my opinion.

Good luck.
Thanks for the advice, I actually majored in mathematics so it was far from a fluff major but finally got accepted yesterday! I appreciate all the guidance!

Congratulations!!! I am a firm believer that everything happens at the right time and place.
Thanks for all the advice, I was accepted into medical school yesterday! Good luck to everyone else

I’m seeing you got accepted but for other people in this situation. There’s a rule of 1 acceptance for every 3 interviews. So seeing as you had 6 interviews. Even if you were waitlisted at all 6, you would most likely be pulled off a waitlist prior to classes starting.