LECOM-Erie Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know how quickly we might hear back? I interviewed on Friday. I also heard that at this point people are only being wait-listed until spots open up later, can anyone confirm or deny this?

They have been saying that since back in January and it wasn't true then...

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know how quickly we might hear back? I interviewed on Friday. I also heard that at this point people are only being wait-listed until spots open up later, can anyone confirm or deny this?

It might still be a week or so. They will probably make the decision on Wednesday and then send it out a few days later. I think it took a little over 2 weeks for me... It felt like an eternity though... Good luck though!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey.. Does anyone have any idea how much the utilities cost at a lakeview village townhouse?

Thanks

I lived at Lakeview for 2 years (i will be leaving in a few weeks for rotations) utilities varied between seasons. Internet is about 90$ for premium service, heating can vary between 30-120 depending on your usage settings. heating charges are ridiculous in the winter months but that is expected. Electric isn't too bad its about 40-60 a month. The apts do not come with a waster/dryer but you can rent one for 25 dollars a month. my rent is about 800/month w/o utilities but i split that with my roommate. Lakeview overall is a pretty nice place, its quiet, a good distance from LECOM, and you'll have a lot of neighbors that attend LECOM.

Cochan thanks for the info! Really helpful.

My next question: does laurel ridge/springs have a parking lot or is like street parking? Like is it easy to drive when you need to or is it a hassle to get your car out?

Cochan thanks for the info! Really helpful.

My next question: does laurel ridge/springs have a parking lot or is like street parking? Like is it easy to drive when you need to or is it a hassle to get your car out?
They have lots.

I just interviewed. We didn't hear any talk at all about a wait list. Where is this coming from.

I am withdrawing my acceptance from LECOM-SH as I just got into my top choice school. Good luck to everyone!

does anyone know if there are any apartments left (1 bedroom) in Laurel Springs or Laurel Ridge? Since they are walking distance, is a car absolutely necessary. I would rather pay for a 2bedroom and be able to walk instead of having to drive and deal with the hassle.

Also, is there any shuttle that goes between LECOM and their wellness center? I'm assuming those apartments do not have any fitness facilities in them right?

Thanks for the info!

No laurel springs/ridge do not have fitness centers in them, and no there is no shuttle to the wellness center (though its probably around 1 mile from laurel springs/ridge so you COULD walk/run it, though that won't work real well in the snow.

Walking to the school is not a problem if you live there. Plenty of people do it without a hitch, even in the snow.

I'm assuming you're not suggesting not having a car in erie at all. That would be a rather poor decision.

I'm assuming you're not suggesting not having a car in erie at all. That would be a rather poor decision.
Quoted for emphasis. It's doable, but not by any means ideal. The apartments by the school are within walking distance to class but not grocery stores or anything like that. And the Erie transit buses really aren't a great option. Unless you know someone else in the class really well that is going to hook you up with rides, I highly recommend having a car.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am still looking to fill a room in a 4bedroom townhouse on w. grandview. Rent is $330/month plus utilities. As of now, we have 3 1st year med students and need one more. The place is really close to the school and has a 2 car garage/snow removal (from what current students are saying this is pretty important for Erie winters). PM for more info.

FOR LECOM SETON HILL Class of 2015

Looking for roommates for a 4 bedroom house.

Rent is $1000/month (split between 3 or 4 people = around 250 each) Room prices according to size, so you can pay as low as $180 a month to $350

The house is located just around the corner from school. Four Free parking spaces right outside. House comes with new washer and dryer (no coins necessary) Water is paid by landlord.

House allows pets (one of the only few places in Greensburg that do)

PM me

:)

Last edited:
hey guys

i recently interviewed at lecom and i didn't submit my DO letter of recommendation yet (i submitted letters from faculty etc). Do you know if this means i will get an automatic rejection or how that works exactly? I have a letter and will be sending it in sometime this week

hey guys

i recently interviewed at lecom and i didn't submit my DO letter of recommendation yet (i submitted letters from faculty etc). Do you know if this means i will get an automatic rejection or how that works exactly? I have a letter and will be sending it in sometime this week
I'm pretty sure they won't make a decision either way until your application is complete.

They won't give you your decision until you send in the DO letter. Had I known that, I would have just sent mine in with the others. It delayed my acceptance notification by about a month.

oooh thanks for the info. the letter is getting mailed in asap but i just hope it doesn't effect the decision they make

For the background check in the matriculation packet, it mentions an alcohol test. Does anyone know what that entails? I have been drinking/going out 5-6 nights a week this last semester of college because I wanted to enjoy the college life before medical school. Does anyone know what they are looking for in an alcohol test?

For the background check in the matriculation packet, it mentions an alcohol test. Does anyone know what that entails? I have been drinking/going out 5-6 nights a week this last semester of college because I wanted to enjoy the college life before medical school. Does anyone know what they are looking for in an alcohol test?

They do a urine alcohol test, measured in mg/dL, with a "screening cutoff" of 20 (mg/dL). I'm pretty sure that's the extent of it, nothing major at all.

ISP student finishing up my 1st yr here at LECOM. Message me if you have any questions or concerns. Also, I have books and Grey anatomy notecards that I want to sell, save you guys some $.

I have my mcat set for june 16. would this delay my application timeline for this school?

I see that a lot of you had late interviews. I know that if you are interviewing this late in the game that you will probable only get a position on the wait list. I was in the same position 2 yrs ago. I would suggest that you consider the Postbac program at LECOM. If you can maintain a 3.0 and you have the minimum MCAT score, you will automatically get an interview and acceptance into the med school. I am also in ISP so if you have any questions about ISP or the Postbac program just ask!

Congrats to all of you who have received your acceptances!!! I love med school and I am sure you will too!

Financial aid is up in the LECOM portal, for anyone interested.

I recently declined my spot, I hope one of you guys get it!

It is not up yet for Seton Hill people. :(

For Seton Hill students - I spoke with Ms. Azzarello right before our final PBL exam... she told me they would be done by the end of May... I would assume that would hold true for all those who will be MS-Is as well.

Last edited:
Accepted from 3.25 interview. LDP. Probably going to decline in favor of warmer weather school.

I have my mcat set for june 16. would this delay my application timeline for this school?
It shouldn't. I took it around then. Actually I didn't even apply till January, but don't follow my example. Apply as soon as you get your score back. Actually you can be working on the application even before then. Have it ready so that when you get your score you can just send it in.

Hello all,

I'm a first year PBL in the process of signing a lease for a 2 bedroom apt with Maleno Developments (Lakeview apts) for June 4th
http://www.malenodevelopment.com/apa.../lakeview.html)

I'll be bringing some common furniture including sofa, TV, dining table and laundry machines (there is a hookup in the basement, don't want to sell my current pair, just bought a few months ago). There is a once-car garage as well that will be shared, I hear the winters are crazy. I'm looking for someone without pets and easy-going. Email me if you are interested, [email protected]

-Swami

I am also in ISP so if you have any questions about ISP or the Postbac program just ask!

This is my first time using this so hopefully I did it right. I just got a call from LECOM offering me a position in ISP. I am a little nervous because it is not the traditional learning format. Has it been extremely difficult?

This is my first time using this so hopefully I did it right. I just got a call from LECOM offering me a position in ISP. I am a little nervous because it is not the traditional learning format. Has it been extremely difficult?
First twelve weeks of anatomy block is the traditional lecture format. After that, you switch over to being an ISP student. If you like LECOM, I would advise you to take the spot. If you don't like ISP, you can easily switch out to LDP (there's never an LDP waitlist but always a long waitlist of students wanting to switch into ISP from LDP.) ISP really isn't bad at all though. You get a module, which lists chapters to read and objective questions to answer for each. Exams are written straight from the objectives. If you have even the slightest amount of self discipline when it comes to studying, you'll be fine.

First twelve weeks of anatomy block is the traditional lecture format. After that, you switch over to being an ISP student. If you like LECOM, I would advise you to take the spot. If you don't like ISP, you can easily switch out to LDP (there's never an LDP waitlist but always a long waitlist of students wanting to switch into ISP from LDP.) ISP really isn't bad at all though. You get a module, which lists chapters to read and objective questions to answer for each. Exams are written straight from the objectives. If you have even the slightest amount of self discipline when it comes to studying, you'll be fine.

Thank you so much! This helped a lot :)

The waitlist is moving... We found out this morning, my husband is in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh:

now the question is where to start, we haven't got the letter, we got a call from a friend of a friend on the inside... Any advice on what to do next?

Thanks :) Is there a form for the physical or is it just get a physical that says yeah he'll live through school lol

Oh yeah there will be plenty of forms! He will need a two step ppd, titers and vaccine history, and a full physical. You will get that will the matriculation packet after you pay the deposit. FYI: if you don't have insurance and live near Erie, I hear one of the local hospitals will do the lab work and give the boosters for really cheap.

Also you might want to consider starting on fafsa (the school code is on the lecom website).

And there are long waiting lists for the two large development companies in Erie .. Maleno and pastore. FYI some places in Erie r sketch

Thanks for all the help! We really appreciate it. We live in TN, but I have a friend in Erie looking for housing for us so we don't accidentally rent in a sketchy area. I have a 16 month old so I'm really cautious of where we live.

Oh yeah there will be plenty of forms! He will need a two step ppd, titers and vaccine history, and a full physical. You will get that will the matriculation packet after you pay the deposit. FYI: if you don't have insurance and live near Erie, I hear one of the local hospitals will do the lab work and give the boosters for really cheap.

Also you might want to consider starting on fafsa (the school code is on the lecom website).

And there are long waiting lists for the two large development companies in Erie .. Maleno and pastore. FYI some places in Erie r sketch

Hi infirmarydude, which hospital are you talking about? I just lost my insurance because I resigned from my job a month ago. So I've been looking for places to get the labwork done. Thanks!

Hi infirmarydude, which hospital are you talking about? I just lost my insurance because I resigned from my job a month ago. So I've been looking for places to get the labwork done. Thanks!
Probably Millcreek, since it's owned by the school. I know that, as students, all of our labs and diagnostic tests are free there with the school's insurance plan.