LECOM Post-Bacc 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If anyone is looking for a roommate, there is an opening to live with 2 MS2 students (both successful former post baccs) for only $235 a month (super cheap). With utilities (cable included) its only about $300 a month. The apartment is located in landmark square which is less than 10 min away from LECOM, and 5 min away from downtown. They also have an adorable dog (mini australian shepard) who is a great stress reliever. Message me if interested!

What is everyone's opinion on doing a post bacc vs. a masters in biomedical science?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do we get a discount on the background check or do we have to pay the full $134?

Do we get a discount on the background check or do we have to pay the full $134?
I paid the full price (I forgot how much it was), but I didn't ask Mr. Murphy for a discount or anything. TBH I don't think they'll hook you up with one

Is our academic calendar available yet? I haven't seen it on the portal.

Reactions: 1 user
Is our academic calendar available yet? I haven't seen it on the portal.

ImageUploadedBySDN1469126661.228014.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Just wondering. The price seems kinda steep.
Yea it is. I just think of it as part of tuition, as a coping mechanism. I came from a large public school that had zero transparency when it came to the use of certain funds, so I just kinda got used to it.

Is it mandatory to enroll in the student health insurance plan? My understanding is that it is mandatory, unless covered by spouse's or parent's plan.

has anyone applied recently? i am wondering how long it usually takes for the admission office to review an application?

Is it mandatory to enroll in the student health insurance plan? My understanding is that it is mandatory, unless covered by spouse's or parent's plan.
I didn't enroll in it, but I also didn't have to show proof I was otherwise covered (like I did for undergrad)

has anyone applied recently? i am wondering how long it usually takes for the admission office to review an application?
I applied on 6/20 but my professor just wrote my letter and I mailed it out 7/21 so hopefully I'll hear back soon. It's getting pretty close.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied on 6/20 but my professor just wrote my letter and I mailed it out 7/21 so hopefully I'll hear back soon. It's getting pretty close.

ohhh. im basically in the same boat as you. they sent out my letter on 7/21 too. has any documents appeared under Folder Items for you? cause nothing is listed for me yet, even though I know my transcript arrived.

As post bacc students do we get access to LECOM Medical Fitness and Wellness Center? Or would we have to sign up separately?

As post bacc students do we get access to LECOM Medical Fitness and Wellness Center? Or would we have to sign up separately?
You get access to it while school is in session. And I gotta say, it's pretty sweet!

Anyone know if classes will be held on the main campus or bayfront?

Just found out today that I was accepted (applied 6/29). Are there stats as to how many people (assuming you maintain the 3.0) get accepted into the fall med school class?

Reactions: 2 users
Just found out today that I was accepted (applied 6/29). Are there stats as to how many people (assuming you maintain the 3.0) get accepted into the fall med school class?

Not sure about exact numbers, but I have a friend who completed the post bacc 2 years ago and did very well. She was accepted to LECOM after post bacc, but went to another med school she was also accepted to. She advised me to hit the ground running from the very first day and do as well as possible because the second semester is way harder than the first. You want to get above a 3.0 the first semester so that you can afford a slightly lower GPA the second semester. (As many have stated here, I've heard pharm is a beast to tackle) She said that a 3.0 is a bare minimum for obtaining an interview, but if you do better than that, it will drastically increase your odds of matriculating (AKA you will get in granted you don't bomb your interview and you have a 40 percentile MCAT). She also told me that only a couple out of all the post baccs that survived and kept a 3.0 or higher did NOT get into LECOM the following year. Basically, put your max effort in, and it will pay off. Feel free to pm me if you want! I have a friend from undergrad that was also accepted to the program, but outside of that, I don't know anyone and would love to start making friends I could start a group study with!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey everyone! Just got accepted and am really excited! My roommate and I are currently looking for a 2 bedroom apartment or house that allows my cat! Anyone know of any affordable places near campus that would allow him?

Hey everyone! Just got accepted and am really excited! My roommate and I are currently looking for a 2 bedroom apartment or house that allows my cat! Anyone know of any affordable places near campus that would allow him?

hey! I messaged you

ohhh. im basically in the same boat as you. they sent out my letter on 7/21 too. has any documents appeared under Folder Items for you? cause nothing is listed for me yet, even though I know my transcript arrived.

My folder is complete now but it's still 'under review"

My folder is complete now but it's still 'under review"

i was under review also since 7/26. the status changed today to decision made! hopefully its good news.

did your status change also? since our letters went out at the same time.

i was under review also since 7/26. the status changed today to decision made! hopefully its good news.

did your status change also? since our letters went out at the same time.
I JUST saw that a decision has been made today! It's so nerve wracking. Good luck to you, I'm going to go wait by my mailbox now lol.

Hi Everyone!

For those of you who are beginning the fall 2016 post bacc program, do you know where we can find our class schedule?

I checked the student portal but was unable to find it.

Thank you!

Hi Everyone!

For those of you who are beginning the fall 2016 post bacc program, do you know where we can find our class schedule?

I checked the student portal but was unable to find it.

Thank you!

There's a schedule available that is just start/end dates for the semester. At the open house they said they would try to have to schedule with which days we have which classes up by the end of July, so hopefully soon!

There's a schedule available that is just start/end dates for the semester. At the open house they said they would try to have to schedule with which days we have which classes up by the end of July, so hopefully soon!
Sweet!
Do you know where on the portal I can find the start/end date schedule?

Thanks!

I emailed Maricely (the admin assistant for the post bac) and she said that they're hoping to have the academic schedule up on the portal by the end of next week.

First time posting. I just got my acceptance letter today!

So nervous about the classes and stuff though!!

congrats! do you know what date your decision was made?

Thank you! :D

Now I gotta figure out where I'm going to living :oops:

I believe it was made last Wednesday or Thursday. I was finally able to get my letter of recommendation in (professor had been out of the country at conferences) turned in last Monday or Tuesday. So it seems like they decided pretty quickly once I actually had everything in! The rest of my application had been complete since April. Jamie Murphy had emailed me saying they just needed the letter to make a final decision.

I believe it was made last Wednesday or Thursday. I was finally able to get my letter of recommendation in (professor had been out of the country at conferences) turned in last Monday or Tuesday. So it seems like they decided pretty quickly once I actually had everything in! The rest of my application had been complete since April. Jamie Murphy had emailed me saying they just needed the letter to make a final decision.

oh wow, it took a long time for the mail to come in. how did you stay sane from the long wait lol.

how are you gonna approach finding housing now?

oh wow, it took a long time for the mail to come in. how did you stay sane from the long wait lol.

how are you gonna approach finding housing now?

Well. Once my application was totally complete (letter of rec got submitted finally), it only took about a week to a week and half for them to send the letter. I don't think that's too long of a wait all things considered.

I will admit, once I saw that online status change I was practically running to check the mail all week! Haha

As for housing. On the form they sent with the letter of acceptance, there's a checkbox saying you want to be put on the roommate list. I'm either going to try that or I'm going to hunt for a studio apartment. I've been looking at apartments online, but its hard to tell what's actually a good fit or not! I really really want a place within walking distance to campus. I'm from Texas, so I have very little experience driving in lots of snow. Plus, my car is kinda low to the ground, so I'm not sure how it'll deal with snow.

Well. Once my application was totally complete (letter of rec got submitted finally), it only took about a week to a week and half for them to send the letter. I don't think that's too long of a wait all things considered.

I will admit, once I saw that online status change I was practically running to check the mail all week! Haha

As for housing. On the form they sent with the letter of acceptance, there's a checkbox saying you want to be put on the roommate list. I'm either going to try that or I'm going to hunt for a studio apartment. I've been looking at apartments online, but its hard to tell what's actually a good fit or not! I really really want a place within walking distance to campus. I'm from Texas, so I have very little experience driving in lots of snow. Plus, my car is kinda low to the ground, so I'm not sure how it'll deal with snow.
lol whether or not you check that you want to be on the roommate list or not - you're going to be on the roommate list.

Also, unless you're looking at a house, there are (I think) 3 apartment complexes within walking distance. Laurel Ridge, Laurel Springs, and then the super nice Hammocks at Millcreek. From what I've gathered from others, most people end up driving every day, but when it snows (and it snows hard - lake effect snow), it's just easier to walk to campus

If you have a small pet (small dog/cat/bunnies) I recommend Tanglewood Apartments. It is in an extremely safe area, really quiet, great management, beautiful inside, and ALL utilities are included. 2 bedroom 1 bath, including all utilities and internet it's only $970 a month. Split that between 2 people, you're looking at less than $500 total per person. It's about 10 minute drive to campus, but I don't really think that makes much of a difference at the end of the day.

Btw...there are a TON of hills....everywhere.....you'll want snow tires for sure.

lol whether or not you check that you want to be on the roommate list or not - you're going to be on the roommate list.

Also, unless you're looking at a house, there are (I think) 3 apartment complexes within walking distance. Laurel Ridge, Laurel Springs, and then the super nice Hammocks at Millcreek. From what I've gathered from others, most people end up driving every day, but when it snows (and it snows hard - lake effect snow), it's just easier to walk to campus

I'm in the works of getting a studio apartment at Laurel Springs. Hopefully I can seal the deal over the next few days. The rates seem pretty fair.

I really don't want to drive. I haven't had much experience with snow, and my car is kinda low to the ground in addition to being rear-wheel drive. It just seems like a recipe for disaster if I have to drive everyday!

If you have a small pet (small dog/cat/bunnies) I recommend Tanglewood Apartments. It is in an extremely safe area, really quiet, great management, beautiful inside, and ALL utilities are included. 2 bedroom 1 bath, including all utilities and internet it's only $970 a month. Split that between 2 people, you're looking at less than $500 total per person. It's about 10 minute drive to campus, but I don't really think that makes much of a difference at the end of the day.

Btw...there are a TON of hills....everywhere.....you'll want snow tires for sure.

I have a cat, but I think he's going to have to stay with my parents. Like I said responding to @wizkidviz, I would rather minimize the amount I have to drive. I don't want to cause any accidents because of my inexperience! We occasionally will get snow in parts of Texas, but nothing like what happens up North! Thanks for the suggestions and advice!

I just got my acceptance letter yesterday! Anyone still looking for a roommate?

I want to apply next year but I want my GPA to be calculated with grade replacement.

I've read through this entire thread and it seems they will only calculate your GPA with grade replacement if set up an AACOMAS application and then send a screenshot of your GPA from there.

So would I have to apply to some random school with AACOMAS in the fall and then use a screenshot of that GPA for when I apply to this postbacc next spring?

I just got my acceptance letter yesterday! Anyone still looking for a roommate?

Join the fb page! There are some people looking for roommates I think.

Just search for lecom post bac 2016-2017

I want to apply next year but I want my GPA to be calculated with grade replacement.

I've read through this entire thread and it seems they will only calculate your GPA with grade replacement if set up an AACOMAS application and then send a screenshot of your GPA from there.

So would I have to apply to some random school with AACOMAS in the fall and then use a screenshot of that GPA for when I apply to this postbacc next spring?
Uhh looks like. I applied with a 3.0 (without grade replacement). Keep in mind if you do make an aacomas application and you make another one next year you might be classified as a reaplicant when you apply to DO schools. You would have to contact each school and let them know,"hey I am not actually a reaplicant."

Does anyone know exactly what we need to do for financial aid? I'm looking on the portal but it's a little confusing. I know I'll need to take out some loans but I wanted to see if there were scholarship opportunities for post-bac students.