LOR Writer Moved to Another Country

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Plue00

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my postdoc wanted to write me a LOR because he's the one that was by my side during most of the experiments/analysis in lab. My PI usually did administrative stuff and wasn't around as much.

My PI and postdoc offered to write me a letter. I am definitely going to get a letter from my PI, but I feel like my postdoc knows me better and can probably write a better letter for me.

Now here's the problem. My postdoc moved to another lab in another country (Italy). Does he still qualify to write me LOR? Will admissions question why my writer is from another country? Should I just not get my postdoc to write it and kindly deny his request to write me a letter?

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

The easiest solution would be to have the postdoc write the letter and then ask the PI to sign it (which is done fairly often apparently). Even if the postdoc has moved on with his career, I'm sure he's still in contact with the PI and him leaving the lab doesn't diminish the interactions you two had while both of you were in the lab together.

Reactions: 2 users
I know a lot of people that write their own letters. It's the wild west out there!

Members don't see this ad :)
are your PI and postdoc from the same research? i'd say have both of them writen one or one of them write your letter and the other co-sign it. LORs are precious. you don't want a letter to repeat what someone else said.

1) My postdoc moved to another lab in another country (Italy). Does he still qualify to write me LOR?
2) Will admissions question why my writer is from another country?
3) Should I just not get my postdoc to write it and kindly deny his request to write me a letter?
1) Yes.
2) The letter's context will make it clear in what capacity and where you were known to him.
3) No. When someone offers to write a letter, it is more likely to be golden.

Reactions: 1 user