LSU-SVM Class of 2020 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Have any IS people heard anything? I'm trying not to stress too much, but I'd like a general idea of when notifications will be sent out. :S

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Have any IS people heard anything? I'm trying not to stress too much, but I'd like a general idea of when notifications will be sent out. :S

It's gonna be a while. Hate to say it.

I emailed Jared, and he reiterated that we would find out at the end of March at the latest. That's comforting at least! They're doing their best to ensure that we find out in a timely manner. It's just a long process.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has LSU been closed any for the flood?

Wasn't sure, I just kind of feel like decision day is today.[/QUOTE]

That would be so nice!! I have a feeling about Wednesday...

This week would be nice and a great turnaround!! Lol. Trying to remember there's a lot more decisions to be made on IS seats.

I had a dream that they posted lists on every applicants door of names of people who got in and were wait listed. Like high-school sports try outs...

One of my friends who is a current vet student said she thinks we are finding out this Friday, but she isn't 100% sure. Fingers crossed!

Members don't see this ad :)
One of my friends who is a current vet student said she thinks we are finding out this Friday, but she isn't 100% sure. Fingers crossed!

I mean, that's kind of what I assumed, which is great! Thank you! :)

Check status check everyone! I'm an IS alternate but I'm hopeful the rest of you wil get good news!

Okay so IS alternate list is 7 to 9 people. I wonder if they go through those.

I'm in!!! See y'all in the fall

Reactions: 1 users
I'm going to vet school!!:D So excited. I definitely cried when I got the acceptance. Congrats to everyone who got in!! And my sincerest condolences to those who didn't.

Last edited:
Did you guys notice that there were confirmed LA seats when they posted the decisions? I'm assuming those are for the 3 people that are from previous matriculated classes coming into 2020. Otherwise how fast did you have to be?! Lol.

NVM checked again, that's definitely what the 2 were. Lol.

Does that mean they only offered 15 OOS and the full 65 IS?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Does that mean they only offered 15 OOS and the full 65 IS?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile e app

Looks like it! I think it's good to know what they offered so if your an alternate you can kind of gauge your chances. A lot of IS accept offers though, so I'm assuming I'm not coming off even though there's less than 10 alternates.

You never know. Someone may end up deferring, like the two or three this year.
I think you pointed out that the video in the portal (the one from last year) talks about how they went all the way through the OOS wait list two years ago. I wonder if they go to IS at some point?

You never know. Someone may end up deferring, like the two or three this year.
I think you pointed out that the video in the portal (the one from last year) talks about how they went all the way through the OOS wait list two years ago. I wonder if they go to IS at some point?

Dunno, there was an alternate faq file attached to my status change that made it sound very likely that all of the IS seats would be filled by the 15th. There's a ranking to the list, but we don't get to know our rank. Also, if anyone defers too late in the summer, it won't help me because MSU starts June 23rd.

My academic history can most politely be described as "messy". ;) I had far ... like REALLY FAR ... from a perfect academic record when I was accepted. It's definitely easier to get accepted to any school if you have an impeccable GPA/GRE, but LSU does also give acceptances to those of us who were imperfect now and then. Having pre-vet research experience is very uncommon, will set your app apart, and will continue to help you post-DVM if you apply for internships/residencies. And you can possibly get letters of recommendation from the faculty/staff you've worked with! That is even more rare. I can't speak for the admissions committee, but if it were me, I'd place a lot of trust in a recommendation from someone I knew and worked with.

I apologize for the lack of people skills you've encountered! I know my ability to function like a normal human being takes a nosedive when I'm stressed and/or sleep-deprived (which is basically all the time..), and that often results in being short-tempered with a difficulty forming complete sentences. Hoping that was the case with the people you've worked with. If not, and that was their normal personality, that means they were known jerks and trust me, no one else likes them either. :thumbdown:

Lol, thanks for the boost!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Where else are you applying that you feel confident/ where did you get in?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Oo, that was a while back but the other 3 schools I applied to last year were Colorado State, Ohio State and Washington State. It was my very first attempt (unfortunately I did not get any acceptances) I didn't know the in-depth processes of these school's admissions back then, but I somehow got the feeling that LSU was more out of reach for my stats, and I was sort of right because I didn't even make it past their first cut! They were the first rejection I heard from because they rank all OOS applicants based on only academics in the beginning, and only the top ~150 moved forward. I also didn't realize exactly how small their number of OOS seats was (guess I'm in kind of an odd position since I went to undergrad there but am still an out-of-stater/did not establish residency in Louisiana). So, once this upcoming cycle opens I won't be applying to LSU anymore, my GPAs just aren't high enough to compete as an OOS, have to play to my strengths. It was a learning process, at least :)

New to this thread but I got in!! Would love to start a group of all who will be attending come fall so we can get to know each other a bit before the whirlwind starts :nailbiting:

Congratulations!
They said something about setting up a Facebook group when I was there for my interview. Maybe they are waiting until they get all the initial responses on April 15?

Congratulations!
They said something about setting up a Facebook group when I was there for my interview. Maybe they are waiting until they get all the initial responses on April 15?

Oh cool, I hadn't heard that. Yeah that would make sense. Thanks for letting us know! :)

Class of 2020..... Any thoughts yet as to where you guys are planning on living? I'm from New Orleans but still have no clue what areas are safe and for me, quiet.

I'm hoping to rent a small house because I have a large dog who would do well with a yard. Beyond that, no clue.
(And my hubby and I haven't agreed on a school yet; so, can't make any decisions.)

I had talked to a friend of mine who is a current student about the living situation before my interview. He said he literally just got in the car over the summer and made a road trip down there to look for "for rent" signs. He made it sound like it's actually pretty easy to get a place to live there!

There's only 16 seats left o_O doesn't look good for me guys!

I was going to like your comment because of the ease of housing. But then I saw the last sentence. So, dislike.

I'm declining my seat, I'll be going to Mizzou. Good luck guys!

I was going to like your comment because of the ease of housing. But then I saw the last sentence. So, dislike.

Make that 13 seats left!

I'm going to be living in an apartment complex off of River Rd. We went looking around the weekend before the interviews with the girl I am rooming with who is currently in law school at LSU and we absolutely fell in love with this place. It's sort of on the pricey side but it's literally 2 minutes away from the vet school and I won't have to deal with the dreadful traffic

I'm hoping to rent a small house because I have a large dog who would do well with a yard. Beyond that, no clue.
(And my hubby and I haven't agreed on a school yet; so, can't make any decisions.)

I was told avoid streets that are named after flowers, presidents, and I think the other one was colors... I'm not sure on the that one though. Basically just drive around Baton Rouge a bit and you'll get the idea. I got the gist of what the bad areas of town were just in a couple of hours of driving around.

I'm going to be living in an apartment complex off of River Rd. We went looking around the weekend before the interviews with the girl I am rooming with who is currently in law school at LSU and we absolutely fell in love with this place. It's sort of on the pricey side but it's literally 2 minutes away from the vet school and I won't have to deal with the dreadful traffic
When I moved off campus I lived in a place around there. It was awesome! Especially close to the vet school campus! And that river road levee bike trail was though not so much when it was my means of commute to main campus every day. Lol

It's snowing here again... Each time, I hope that it's my last snowfall before moving...yet it never is. haha I cannot wait to live in Louisiana. I'm getting so excited!!

New to this thread but I got in!! Would love to start a group of all who will be attending come fall so we can get to know each other a bit before the whirlwind starts :nailbiting:
Check your portal. Looks like they set up a public Facebook group for our class.

I can't recall if anyone from this thread didn't get in post interview, but Jared is sending out emails with information re: file reviews. I won't be getting one but I am sure it's helpful!

LSU SVM 2020 - Has anyone been given great advice in regard to which books to buy? I had help from the bookstore and my big sibling. But, I wanted to see what advice others were getting.

LSU SVM 2020 - Has anyone been given great advice in regard to which books to buy? I had help from the bookstore and my big sibling. But, I wanted to see what advice others were getting.

I was told to definitely get the dog dissection book; Budras Bovine and Equine books (for large animal dissection); Dyce, Sack, and Wenseng; and Bacha for histology

Knowing that cut the sum for all the books down significantly