About the ads

Manual dexterity question?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Springs01, Jun 11, 2013.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.

Thanks to Crack the DAT
  1. Springs01

Springs01

Pre-Dental
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    "Describe any activities requiring manual dexterity (e.g. activities requiring hand-eye coordination such as cross-stitching, sewing, art, crafts, playing musical instruments, auto repair, etc.) at which you are proficient. (600 char w/ spaces)"

Am I supposed to actually describe the activities or just list them?

I plan on putting down drawing and painting. How am I supposed to describe these? They're just my hobbies...
  2. Hev0406

Hev0406

Pre-Dental
    Since there wasn't really room to explain a lot I basically just listed my activities.
  3. ktran17

ktran17

Dental Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I listed my hobbies and only described the ones that were not as obvious. e.g construction of electrodes
  4. jmh018

jmh018

Dental Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I did the same thing. Had to leave a couple lesser ones out to fully explain the better ones
  5. free99

free99

Dental Student
    Keep in mind this is the only the view of one admissions officer (Dr. Emil Chuck), but after watching most of the Case Western Reserve admissions presentation this is what I gathered:

- If you have them, list manual dexterity hobbies that are unique. As Dr. Chuck said, it's expected that most people cook and can cut veggies - what hobbies do you have that set you apart?

- If possible, try to describe how you've honed this/these activity/activities and what you've done to showcase these skills. I believe the example he gave was if you were an artist and had entered your work into some sort of competition

I had many different activities that I think displayed manual dexterity, but chose to just expound on my ability to play various musical instruments, rather than listing several different activities. I talked about shows I've played and bands/ensembles I've been a part of. Hope this helps!

Edit: here's the link to the web seminar - http://ow.ly/lCgne
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
    Glimmer1991 likes this.
  6. Springs01

Springs01

Pre-Dental
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Okay. I'm gonna only explain the unique ones. Thanks everyone.
  7. ttpharm

ttpharm

Dental Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Short and sweet
  8. Chococo45

Chococo45

Pre-Dental
    Should you only list current abilities?

For example, I played the violin and clarinet during my elementary and middle school years. I'm sure I would still be able to play these instruments but still would be a bit rusty :/

I'm also taking guitar lessons soon (just as a hobby - not for this manual dexterity question lol), should I list this as well?
  9. tooth knockn

tooth knockn

Pre-Dental
    I THINK, any activity still practiced in the past 3 to 5 years, is current ability..... lol i don't know how old you are, but middle school sounds like a long time ago.

but to answer topic question, i listed what ever i could, with minimal detail, and between each hand eye coordination i put one of these "-" minus signs
  10. Chococo45

Chococo45

Pre-Dental
    Yeah, you're right. It's probably been too long to count those skills as current skills