Manual dexterity question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Springs01

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
"Describe any activities requiring manual dexterity (e.g. activities requiring hand-eye coordination such as cross-stitching, sewing, art, crafts, playing musical instruments, auto repair, etc.) at which you are proficient. (600 char w/ spaces)"

Am I supposed to actually describe the activities or just list them?

I plan on putting down drawing and painting. How am I supposed to describe these? They're just my hobbies...

Members don't see this ad.

Since there wasn't really room to explain a lot I basically just listed my activities.

I listed my hobbies and only described the ones that were not as obvious. e.g construction of electrodes

Members don't see this ad :)
I listed my hobbies and only described the ones that were not as obvious. e.g construction of electrodes

I did the same thing. Had to leave a couple lesser ones out to fully explain the better ones

Keep in mind this is the only the view of one admissions officer (Dr. Emil Chuck), but after watching most of the Case Western Reserve admissions presentation this is what I gathered:

- If you have them, list manual dexterity hobbies that are unique. As Dr. Chuck said, it's expected that most people cook and can cut veggies - what hobbies do you have that set you apart?

- If possible, try to describe how you've honed this/these activity/activities and what you've done to showcase these skills. I believe the example he gave was if you were an artist and had entered your work into some sort of competition

I had many different activities that I think displayed manual dexterity, but chose to just expound on my ability to play various musical instruments, rather than listing several different activities. I talked about shows I've played and bands/ensembles I've been a part of. Hope this helps!

Edit: here's the link to the web seminar - http://ow.ly/lCgne

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Okay. I'm gonna only explain the unique ones. Thanks everyone.

Should you only list current abilities?

For example, I played the violin and clarinet during my elementary and middle school years. I'm sure I would still be able to play these instruments but still would be a bit rusty :/

I'm also taking guitar lessons soon (just as a hobby - not for this manual dexterity question lol), should I list this as well?

I THINK, any activity still practiced in the past 3 to 5 years, is current ability..... lol i don't know how old you are, but middle school sounds like a long time ago.

but to answer topic question, i listed what ever i could, with minimal detail, and between each hand eye coordination i put one of these "-" minus signs

Yeah, you're right. It's probably been too long to count those skills as current skills

Reactions: 1 user