mcat retake advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

puppies4ever

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am retaking my MCAT in September 2014. I took my first mcat in April, and got a 29, 11/6/12. I was really surprised by this score because my practice test scores were not this low leading up to the test. I took all the AAMC tests and spread them out over December through April. AAMC scores were 28, 29, 32, 34, 32, 39, 34, 37. I also took a lot of princeton review tests for a total of 19 practice tests, for which my avg. was 29 on those tests. I have heard that the TPR tests are much tougher on the verbal section, so I was okay with these scores since my AAMC scores at the end were good.
Has anyone else ever been in a similar situation? Promising AAMC scores but awful test day score? Do you think this was a fluke?
Are there any suggestions for retaking study strategies? I have a solid 3 months to study again and would appreciate any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

My actual score was higher then my practice score. However it seems like it was just verbal that did you in. Try examkrackers 101 verbal book and do all those tests.

TPR Hyperlearning for verbal is by far the best practice verbal out there. I would read Examkrackers strategy for verbal though, but I would only do TPR and AAMC self assessment for verbal practice as stuff like EK and TBR is not accurate at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't feel too bad. I know someone who had a panic attack and scored 11 points below their practice average. It just looks like you seriously misread a passage or two.

I found TBR to be EXTREMELY useful. I found the verbal in particular accurate for the MCAT. I didn't like EK. It did absolutely nothing for me, and I personally don't understand how people find it useful for anything other than biology. I also did all of the AAMC practice tests, and thought they were pretty similar to the real thing.

Looks like your biggest weakness is verbal, which was my biggest strength. Never scored below a 12 on any practice test or the real thing, and I attribute that to being a humanities major. Were I you, I'd read some short humanities papers every day (from JSTOR, or L'Annee philologique if your home institution is a member). Serious, technical publications on philosophy, literature, classics. Ask yourself a few questions about what the author is arguing. Those papers will be much more difficult than anything on the MCAT.

Did you freak out on verbal? That's what happened to me. I swerved off my regular routine, and ended up running out of time and skimming/"guessing" on the last passage. I feel like that alone would've cost me -2 point total =/

Did you identify where you went wrong? Later scores look good bud, what do you think happened? How'd you feel leaving the exam?

Thank you so much for the advice. Verbal has always been my weak section, but my AAMC practice test scores ranged from 8-12, so I was upset with the 6. I was thinking 8 would be my worst case scenario.
I have never been a humanities person, and am a slow reader. It took me a while to work up to 10-12 on the verbal section of the practice tests. I eventually raised my score using a princeton review strategy of leaving the hardest passage until the end, reading the first few sentences of that passage, and answering the questions based on the question stems and if they were strongly worded etc. However on the real test I did not have time to do my last passage at all and blindly guessed on it (did not leave any blank). I also did not sleep well the night before which could have contributed to my score. My verbal score is always very dependent on my confidence and sleep.

Do you guys think it is OK to repeat passages TPRH verbal workbook? I used this book the prepare for the exam. Also, do you have suggestions for keeping science knowledge fresh while I work to raise my verbal score? I was going to use the 3 month SN2 schedule, but replace all "science reading" with verbal practice. (I feel comfortable enough with the science content that doing only passage will be enough for me).

Also has anyone ever heard of Ivy Hall verbal? My premed adviser recommended this to me. I am definitely up for more verbal practice but do not know anyone who has used this resource before.

Did you freak out on verbal? That's what happened to me. I swerved off my regular routine, and ended up running out of time and skimming/"guessing" on the last passage. I feel like that alone would've cost me -2 point total =/

Did you identify where you went wrong? Later scores look good bud, what do you think happened? How'd you feel leaving the exam?
Well i did not have a good test day. Could not sleep the night before; took a tylenol PM the night before (which I am pretty sure made me groggy but was concealed by adrenaline); also gt sick on the bio section and skipped the last passage. I do not know why I didn't void it. I guess I went into the exam thinking "don't void the test just because it doesn't 'feel' good".
sorry for the three replies. My first time on SDN with an account.

Do you guys think it is OK to repeat passages TPRH verbal workbook?

If you like, but you will be familiar with the passages, at least subconsciously, so it won't be a huge help other than diagnosing weaknesses. I'd recommend another book as well (EK101 maybe) if you have time.

Well i did not have a good test day. Could not sleep the night before; took a tylenol PM the night before (which I am pretty sure made me groggy but was concealed by adrenaline)

Yea, I'm guessing you learned your lesson, but this is worse than drinking the night before. Never take sleeping aides before an exam. Get used to going to bed early, and try not to even think about the MCAT for the last few days before the test. Alternately, take a 1 pm date.

also gt sick on the bio section and skipped the last passage. I do not know why I didn't void it. I guess I went into the exam thinking "don't void the test just because it doesn't 'feel' good".
sorry for the three replies. My first time on SDN with an account.

If you got a 12 without doing the last passage, congrats. But you'd be looking at a 13-14 had you completed it. If you skip passages, guess or void.

Last edited:
Thank you for the advice and honesty. yes this was definitely a stupid move. Anyone else who reads this thread please learn from my experience. No matter how much you study your whole test can tank if you do not take care of yourself in the days leading up to the test.