MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lifeincali

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
A lot of people here have spent weeks/months studying for this test full time. It would be abnormal to be nonchalant about it

Well, I gave up whatever break I had during the summer to study for it full-time so I can understand that.

Good luck everyone!

Format for posting your scores:

Actual Score (PS/V/BS):
Predicted Score (PS/V/BS):
Prep Materials (Content/Practice Materials and FLs):
AAMC and Other FL Averages:
Comments/Feelings/Tips:

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else have the AAMC MCAT twitter page open and just staring into the screen?

It's the only way to know! without being logged in and refreshing the score page every 2 seconds... that would tax my little heart too much

I honestly don't know if I've ever been more nervous. Just spent the last hour walking aimlessly around campus because I can't stay sitting down.

Good luck everyone. I hope we will all be able to say those magic words after today:
"I will never... have to take.. the MCAT.. again"

See you all on the other side.

guys i dont have courage to open result page!!!!:(:(:(:( plz anyone who show tell. cant express how stressful i am now

Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 14-11-13 (38)
Predicted Score (PS/V/BS): 13-11-13 (37)
Prep Materials (Content/Practice Materials and FLs): Sn2ed's 3 month schedule to the T
AAMC and Other FL Averages: 37.5 (varied between 37 and 38 always)
Comments/Feelings/Tips: I'm so glad it's over. I needed that 11 in VR. I was hoping I might get a 12 in VR since I achieved it a couple times on practice tests, but I'm definitely not crying about an 11!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 10/10/12
Predicted Score (PS/V/BS): 10/8/12-14
Prep Materials (Content/Practice Materials and FLs): Kaplan online materials, EK verbal, AAMC practice test and self assessments
AAMC and Other FL Averages: AAMC 9-11 averages: 30
Comments/Feelings/Tips: Score pretty much mirrors how I felt on each section. PS and verbal were a little shakey for me while BS felt pretty easy. Happy with the way things turned out. I'd say Kaplan section test helped the most out of all the materials I studied.

Last edited:
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 14/10/15 (39)
Predicted Score (PS/V/BS): I honestly had no idea
AAMC and Other FL Averages: 40.3 (range 38-42)
Prep Materials (Content/Practice Materials and FLs): Examkrackers, AAMC exams

Comments/Feelings/Tips: Can't ask for much more. Glad its over. Good luck to everyone else.

This is my first post on this website. I've been creeping for months now!

Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 12-12-12 (36)

Predicted Score (PS/V/BS): 13-11-13 (37)

Prep Materials (Content/Practice Materials and FLs): I used EK and Kaplan review books and the 101 passages as well as online mcat review sites. Spent the first 2 months of studying content, easing in to it so as not to get burned out. Then last month was crunch time, started doing practice tests, finishing up content, then filling in holes and doing verbal practice. AAMC FLs, took all 8, ranged from 33 - 39.

Comments/Feelings/Tips: Felt as though I did a little better on the science sections, but I'm not going to complain about an even score like that! Feeling pretty good. I was pretty much 100% positive I scored between a 35-40 when I got out. I think the science sections were pretty easy on our test and so the scaling was probably unforgiving, but who knows! Congrats everyone.

Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 8/14/10 (32)
Predicted Score (PS/V/BS): 10/12/9 (31)
Prep Materials (Content/Practice Materials and FLs): TPR, AAMC FL
AAMC and Other FL Averages: 30-31
Comments/Feelings/Tips: Overall it's okay. I would definitely not retake if I had gotten at least a 9 in PS, but now with an 8 I'm slightly on the fence...

Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 14/9/11
Predicted Score (PS/V/BS): 11/10/11
Prep Materials (Content/Practice Materials and FLs): I used the Kaplan review books and course as well as A Princeton Review Book. Combine this with my textbooks and class notes for the respective classes. Spent two months on full-time studying with the first month being mostly content and the second month being mostly practice tests (AAMC, Kaplan).
AAMC and Other FL Averages: ~12/11/12
Comments/Feelings/Tips: I am actually really surprised with both my PR and VR scores since I thought I did worse and better on those sections than I actually did. Now, I'm not sure whether I should take it again because of the VR score.

Last edited:
Highest AAMC's: 12/8/8 and 9/10/9
Predicted score: 10/7/8
Actual: 11/7/11 29 first timer

Really weird that I hit lowest in verbal lol... I'll see the people who are retaking in January! Love you all.

Test Date Verbal Reasoning (VR) Physical Sciences (PS) Writing Sample (WS) Biological Sciences (BS) Total *

9/7/2013 11 13 14 38
1/25/2008 12 13 O 15 40O

how does it take over a month to turn around a multiple choice exam with no writing section.

Omg!!!
13/10/14 -->37

CANADIAN PEOPLE help!!
I know this is a fantastic score and I've never scored this high on practice test but I didn't make that 11 in VR, which means I can't apply to pretty much all the schools I have a shot at! What do I do!!
The only schools I have a shot at: McGill, Queens, Ottawa, Western, Dal, Calgary & Mac.
Mac, Western, and Cal are out for sure. Should I bid my chance on McGill, Ottawa, Queens, and Dalhouise? I got horrible first degree grade and am doing a second degree
Though logically I should retake but retaking a 37 sounds incredibly stupid.

Last edited:
Just finished my lab, there's no way I can check. I know for a fact I bombed it compared to my average practice 32..

Anyone feel like they just can't look

I am disappointed with verbal. 14/8/14.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 12/9/10 - 31
Predicted Score (PS/V/BS): 11/9/9 - 29
Prep Materials (Content/Practice Materials and FLs): EK and all AAMC FLs
AAMC and Other FL Averages: AAMC Average - 12.4/9.3/11.2
Comments/Feelings/Tips: Satisfied with the science sections but gotta retake to improve verbal

Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 8/11/10 - 29
Predicted Score (PS/V/BS): 8/11/10 - 29
AAMC and Other FL Averages: AAMC Average - 8/11/10
Comments/Feelings/Tips: Didn't finish PS and guessed at about 10 at the end. Really happy with the 8. 18 years after taking undergrad science classes and studying for 3 months. I really wanted 30+, but I'm actually happy with a 29. It's right in the average for the schools I'm applying for and with my experience I'm a strong candidate.

Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 14/7/13
Predicted Score (PS/V/BS): nothing predicted, no idea.
Prep Materials (Content/Practice Materials and FLs): 3rd time, this time PR and EK and a Master's degree.
AAMC and Other FL Averages: posted elsewhere
Comments/Feelings/Tips: Felt like Verbal was pretty easy, but I guess I just overlooked a lot. BS and PS definitely felt harder, but I thought I would at least get around a 9 on the VR. I am applying to mainly DO schools, does the imbalance matter much? I'm pretty pissed that I was averaging even 30's and 32's. I was even on an upward trend with my scores and feeling reasonably confident. I am pretty distraught.

Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 12/9/10 - 31
Predicted Score (PS/V/BS): 10/8/8 - 26
AAMC and Other FL Averages: 12/8/11
Comments/Feelings/Tips: Had to guess a few on PS so knew I wouldnt do as well as I'd like. Spent way too much time on a passage that I shouldn't have simply because I wanted to assure I had the right answers instead of trying to simply get through it. I highly suggest to focus yourself on timing even though it is the REAL DEAL. VR I thought was fair and was expecting between an 8-10. BS was ridiculous, did not have time to do 70% of one of the passages and had to blind guess. Probably going to retake in march. I got 34 on 2 of my last FL so I know that I can reach that mark, plus need to get over a 9 in VR for Canadian schools.

Congrats to everyone who got 35+. Those are remarkable scores.

1PM

Post-test comments:

PS - I found it REALLY hard. There were a lot of traps hiding within the questions. I often find myself half way into the calculation, than realized that there is a trap, and had to start all over. Had about 3 minutes left to check over ~15 marked. So needless to say, I was not happy.

VR - Surprisingly, this wasn't so bad. I was expecting MUCH worse. I should be able to get my AAMC average.

BS - Uh....apparently everyone thought this section was very bad. I actually find it to be the easiest section...It didn't have any weird fact questions like the later AAMCs did. The orgo is overall very easy, which I'm extremely happy about. The bio is alright. The BS on this MCAT definitely emphasized on my strengths and didn't really test on my weaknesses. Had about 5 minutes to check ~10 marked, so not thrilled about that either, but overall it was good.

AAMC average: 12/11 (a bit lower than 11 actually)/12
Prediction: 11/11/12
Realistic hopeful: 12/11/13

EDIT 9/11: I'm starting to doubt if I can get my VR average (11). It seems like everyone thought VR was easy so the curve is probably going to be ridiculously hard. I'm changing my prediction to 11/10/12....Ugh, I'll have to rewrite if I get below an 11 in VR because it's a cut-off at a couple of schools on my list.

Actual: 13/10/14.
So my post test feelings are quite accurate. I did not get the 11 in VR I wanted. I've already decided to continue practice my VR and will retake if I ever reach a stable 12-13 in my practice. I know retaking a 37 sounds crazy but as a Canadian citizen with my GPA, having less than 11 in VR pretty much kills my chance so retaking is likely my best option.
n36ct5.jpg

Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 14/12/14 = 40

Predicted Score (PS/V/BS): 14/11/13 = 38

Prep Materials (Content/Practice Materials and FLs): Princeton review package, but I missed half of the classes because I went on a family vacation. The AAMC practice tests were invaluable, and mostly the only resource I used besides the Princeton prep books (physics was awesome but bio was overly detailed).

AAMC and Other FL Averages: AAMC averages: 38.5

Comments/Feelings/Tips: Score is pretty surprising. I ran out of time in the verbal section, meaning I did finish, but I had to do the last passage in 3.5 minutes! I quickly reviewed my answers and found one that I had forgot to submit, so I did that. I'm very happy with my score and feel that I stand a strong chance at applying next year.

Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 13/8/9

Predicted Score (PS/V/BS): 8/7/8

Prep Materials (Content/Practice Materials and FLs): TPR Course, EK101

AAMC and Other FL Averages: ~27

Comments/Feelings/Tips: I honestly have NO idea how I scored so high on PS. I completely guessed on around 6 problems on that section, and the highest I had ever scored on a practice FL for PS was a 12. I'm surprised with my VR score as well because I usually averaged 7's toward my later practice FLs. BS I got around what I usually average, so I'm happy considering I thought the actual section was extremely difficult.

Overall, I am very happy with my score and will not be re-taking this exam!

Got a 14/7/13. My verbal is so low :(

I have no idea what to do. I guess I will just see how this cycle goes...

Are you checking the MCAT THx website:

https://services.aamc.org/mcatthx/

Is it showing anything for that date (7 Sept)? Even if you void scores, it should show that you voided scores.
Turns out I had two AAMC profiles, but I got it sorted out; unfortunately I only got a 29 and had an average of 32 for all the AAMC practice exams

Actual: 13/10/14.
So my post test feelings are quite accurate. I did not get the 11 in VR I wanted. I've already decided to continue practice my VR and will retake if I ever reach a stable 12-13 in my practice. I know retaking a 37 sounds crazy but as a Canadian citizen with my GPA, having less than 11 in VR pretty much kills my chance so retaking is likely my best option.

It is going to be hard for anyone to reach a stable 12-13 in verbal. You might want to refer to the AAMC's stats on retakers' verbal scores:

https://www.aamc.org/students/download/271686/data/retestervrscorechange.pdf

With a VR=10, 32% of retakers raise their score 1 point or more. With VR=11, only 14% manage an improvement, and at VR=12, 76% of people see their score *drop* on a retake. At VR=13, 90% of people see their score drop on a retake.

The point being that 12-13 is going to be devilishly hard to achieve consistently. The VR scale is different from the others because it drops off precipitously past 11, much more severely than BS or PS. If you look at the stats for BS and PS, high scorers tend to retain high scores above 12 - so you could expect to maintain a 12-14 in those.

That's what's so frustrating about the AAMC VR scale - they intentionally set the bar very high for a 12.

It might be more realistic to aim to get 11 consistently on your practice tests - because if you stabilize at 11, the raw->scaled range for 11 is relatively generous (32-35 out of 40 on a lot of the practice tests). To get a 12, you need a 36 or 37 out of 40, which is really high.

If you're on the higher end of an 11 (i.e. scoring 35/40), then you're probably safe in terms of getting 11 on the real thing.

Last edited:
It is going to be hard for anyone to reach a stable 12-13 in verbal. You might want to refer to the AAMC's stats on retakers' verbal scores:

With a VR=10, 32% of retakers raise their score 1 point or more. With VR=11, only 14% manage an improvement, and at VR=12, 76% of people see their score *drop* on a retake. At VR=13, 90% of people see their score drop on a retake.

The point being that 12-13 is going to be devilishly hard to achieve consistently. The VR scale is different from the others because it drops off precipitously past 11, much more severely than BS or PS. If you look at the stats for BS and PS, high scorers tend to retain high scores above 12 - so you could expect to maintain a 12-14 in those.

That's what's so frustrating about the AAMC VR scale - they intentionally set the bar very high for a 12.

It might be more realistic to aim to get 11 consistently on your practice tests - because if you stabilize at 11, the raw->scaled range for 11 is relatively generous (32-35 out of 40 on a lot of the practice tests). To get a 12, you need a 36 or 37 out of 40, which is really high.

If you're on the higher end of an 11 (i.e. scoring 35/40), then you're probably safe in terms of getting 11 on the real thing.

Also, VR consistency in the teens is unreliable because enough VR questions are flawed that you run into interpretive ambiguity (i.e. a significant enough portion of VR is BS (lol) that consistency at the far upper end is (near, if not) impossible.)

holy balls!!!!

Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 12/11/15 38
Predicted Score (PS/V/BS): 11/11/12 34 (this was conservative, I was half expecting an 8 in VR or a 10 in PS and 11 in BS, i had no clue lol. I didn't find the test as hard as everyone else, I found verbal easy but I don't think I could have pulled off a 12 despite that. PS was all right, I don't remember calculating much but one passage I guessed one on, same with BS. I had time to check over all my sections)
Prep Materials (Content/Practice Materials and FLs): TPR course (came with books) - did most of the homework (weakness only) but none of the optional stuff, took all the AAMCs and most of the TPR practise tests
AAMC and Other FL Averages: depending on what I counted in the average, it was a 33-35ish - I rarely did my FLs in one sitting, I was at my lab or in a cafe so I got cold and hungry or had to pee. I never got above a 37 in a FL (AAMC 11) so I am ecstatic!
Comments/Feelings/Tips: I was way more nervous for my score than I was the day of the MCAT - I didn't check until today, I gave my s/o my account information and made them check it for me when I wasn't expecting it. Test day: I made sure to get a good nights sleep, tried hard to relax and eat a good meal (I had salmon for breakfast) and did yoga, basically anything to keep my mind off things. I got a 35 the night before so that helped my confidence. At the test centre, I had to go to the washroom like twice before because I was so nervous but I just plugged in my headphones and listened to a lot of cocky rap to distract myself. I packed lots of snacks and stayed hydrated, between sections I'd eat and drink and walk around to clear my head. The test centre was scorching hot and I had a massive headache by the time I got to BS, I was surprised I did so well.
TL;DR: do your studies in moderation so you don't burn out, practice LOTS, stay active mentally and physically. on test day, rest well, eat well, listen to music that makes you calm/confident/happy, dress in layers (be ready for any climate) and be comfy!

Also, VR consistency in the teens is unreliable because enough VR questions are flawed that you run into interpretive ambiguity (i.e. a significant enough portion of VR is BS (lol) that consistency at the far upper end is (near, if not) impossible.)

I know it's very difficult to get a 12-13 in verbal, but I know if I retake, it is extremely likely that my BS and/or PS will go down because I got REALLY lucky with the BS this time since it is almost designed to test on everything I was good at and ignored everything I was bad at. Therefore, a retake for me would mean I have to trade my BS/PS for a POSSIBLE increase in VR. I would not attempt such a trade unless I made absolutely sure that my VR can reach that 11. I will do everything I can to get my VR up and I believe when someone puts in enough time and energy, a stable 12-13 in VR on practice is entirely possible. It's not like I'm asking for a 15. I'm sure there are people who were naturally horrible in VR and stabilized at 12-13 in their practices. I don't care how unlikely it is to happen, because as long as there is even one person that successfully did it, then it is possible and it could happen to me if I try hard enough. I had a 60 in first year physics and 70 in first year chem yet I ended up with a 13 in PS. It couldn't possibly be done if I didn't believe in myself and worked hard to get it. To quote a fellow sdn-er: "I want this more than I want to breath". This is my dream and seven little passages are not going to stop me.:luck:

What if you did this? Get your vr avg to 11-12. Take the MCAT and void if you feel like you screwed up. Gut feeling's not that accurate, but you might be able to differentiate between a got everything right vs a screwed up day. You can time it like 1.5 months apart in case you need to retake. Don't do this more than once or twice though because that's just miserable and it'll be difficult to maintain your science scores for that long.

Really excited about my score, and a bit baffled about my verbal.

Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 14/13/11
Predicted Score (PS/V/BS):13/11/12
Prep Materials (Content/Practice Materials and FLs): Princeton Review summer course, 3 months. Three TPR tests, and 4 AAMC tests. If you're the type to freak the hell out and study hard if you do poorly on practice tests, TPR is for you.
AAMC and Other FL Averages: AAMC - 34-35 TPR- 28
Comments/Feelings/Tips: So psyched about verbal, never even got above a 12 except for one freestanding practice test towards the end. :) Felt so bad at the end of this test, I almost voided it. I guess this is why my dad said to keep the score no matter what, unless I didn't answer a bunch.

Last edited:
Really excited about my score, and a bit baffled about my verbal.

Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 14/13/11
Predicted Score (PS/V/BS):13/11/12
Prep Materials (Content/Practice Materials and FLs): Princeton Review summer course, 3 months. Three TPR tests, and 4 AAMC tests. If you're the type to freak the hell out and study hard if you do poorly on practice tests, TPR is for you.
AAMC and Other FL Averages: AAMC - 34-35 TPR- 28
Comments/Feelings/Tips: So psyched about verbal, never even got above a 12 except for one freestanding practice test towards the end. :) Honesty, I was saved this time, because I paced really well, and got to go back to the tough passage and changed a few answers at the end. Felt so bad at the end of this test, I almost voided it. I guess this is why my dad said to keep the score no matter what, unless I didn't answer a bunch. A tip from my verbal instructor the last day, don't lose your sense of humor. I tend to get really nervous during tests, but being cynical/humorous towards it towards the end really helped me keep my cool during the rough times, even when I felt like I didn't know what the hell was going on. Take the test, don't let it take you!

That's an amazing verbal score! I'm envious! Way to go!