mcat timeline for cc/post-bacc student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

violetchild

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello and thanks in advance to any answers I may/may not recieve for this post! I just finished with my first year at community college and will be transferring after this next year. When I transfer, I'll only have general chemistry completed. I am a non-science major, so I'll only have time to finish probably 2 years worth of science (any combination of bio, o-chem, and physics). This means I'll probably have to do one, maybe 2 classes in a post-grad program (I'm not quite sure how this works). Anyway, my question is this: When would I take the MCAT in this situation? Is it necessary to take it in the fall before applying or do you need to take it earlier? Is it doable if you haven't taken a class or 2, and if so, which one(s)? Any response is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello and thanks in advance to any answers I may/may not recieve for this post! I just finished with my first year at community college and will be transferring after this next year. When I transfer, I'll only have general chemistry completed. I am a non-science major, so I'll only have time to finish probably 2 years worth of science (any combination of bio, o-chem, and physics). This means I'll probably have to do one, maybe 2 classes in a post-grad program (I'm not quite sure how this works). Anyway, my question is this: When would I take the MCAT in this situation? Is it necessary to take it in the fall before applying or do you need to take it earlier? Is it doable if you haven't taken a class or 2, and if so, which one(s)? Any response is appreciated!

Take all the pre-reqs before taking the MCAT.

You should probably have it completed anytime before May 1st of your application year. I took it a bit later and everything worked out, but ideally the latest would be May 1st.

You will have arguments as to whether extra classes like genetics or cell biology help on the MCAT. I think they do but they definitely are not a necessity and some do very well (13+ BS) without any upper division bio.

Thank you! I'm trying to avoid having to take a PG year by forcing in all my science classes before I graduate. If I take physics junior year and o chem and bio senior year, is it still possible to apply and get into med school for the next fall? Or would I have to wait a year after I took the MCAT and apply for the next cycle? I'm so confused and I really just want to not have to take any breaks or any time off.

Thank you! I'm trying to avoid having to take a PG year by forcing in all my science classes before I graduate. If I take physics junior year and o chem and bio senior year, is it still possible to apply and get into med school for the next fall? Or would I have to wait a year after I took the MCAT and apply for the next cycle? I'm so confused and I really just want to not have to take any breaks or any time off.

You will be applying during (starting) the summer before your senior year if you don't want a gap year (or 5th year of classes) so you definitely want to complete all the general chem, organic chem, general bio and physics courses before that. If it is not possible to get them in in time, it would probably be best to wait to take the MCAT and delay your application a year.