Mednax Job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocAnes

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Not really sure how you are a "partner" under an AMC but.....

You get part of the profits and they get the rest.

If you work for a corporation they will tell you when to work, where to work, what you get paid, how much vacation time you get, etc.

They will put the screws on you as much as they can.

Stay away from MEDNAX.

I work for mednax in the midwest. no partner track, just straightup salaried employee. no complaints, but i'm in an area where it's difficult to attract people so maybe they're more accomodating

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello!

Current CA3 in the northeast region looking at non-fellowship jobs. It seems like the area where I want to be is either academic or AMC jobs. I have been looking into this AMC job that was bought by Mednax about 3-4 years ago. Reading through forums, there seems to be concern for private practice jobs where new grads might be screw over if a group gets purchase by AMC while they are on the partnership track. Is there a concern after the group is already bought and appears stable for the past 3-4 years?

This job that I am looking at offers a 3 years "partnership track" where after 3 years, you automatically become partner and gets a redistribution that is evenly divided up among the partners. The first three years you take call and get a set salary. When you make partner, you get an increased in set salary along with redistribution and increased vacation time. Not really sure how you are a "partner" under an AMC but.....

I am thinking about taking the job, but wasn't sure if there is anything that I should pay particular attention to, especially in the contracts.

Do not call for this trope.

The "partners" are double dipping, they already got paid for the buyout, but they're still greedy and want to take advantage of others.

You are already giving away 20-30% of your earnings to the AMC. The "partners" want to take an additional percentage away from you, and there's no upside for those 3 years of salary rape besides parity with the others who are already underpaid.

You can be guaranteed other B.S. from these guys.

Do. Not. Join.

Of all of the AMCs, Mednax probably has the worst national reputation currently and hospitals are actively working to remove them from their sites (see very large groups like Charlotte, Minneapolis). Even Envision somehow has a better rap despite having the worst employment contracts.

Avoid both like the plague.

Of all of the AMCs, Mednax probably has the worst national reputation currently and hospitals are actively working to remove them from their sites (see very large groups like Charlotte, Minneapolis). Even Envision somehow has a better rap despite having the worst employment contracts.

Avoid both like the plague.

Not all practices under the same AMC have the same income, quality of life, vaca, etc. It’s very much individual. Benefits in general are the same amongst AMC owned groups... and are pretty bad compared to PP.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a few friends working for Mednax that were never partners in the buyout and they are reasonably happy with their jobs for the most part.

It's a job. Evaluate the offer and decide if what they are offering is better than what you could get elsewhere (allowing for how important geography is to you). I will almost guarantee Mednax is still paying a lot more than any academic job. For some reason, people like to rail on AMCs for stealing your money but have no problem with an academic department stealing even more of your money.

Reactions: 6 users
Huge variability from one AMC site to another...is the group locally run? Are the young people happy? Salary good with abundant time off? Things run fairly? Alternately, in the Northeast you have low paying academic jobs with little time off but yeah you get some title I guess. Then there are the anesthesia groups run and owned by the hospital itself -there you get the high level nurse administrator with fifteen letters after their name telling the anesthesia dept what to do and how things have to be run.

I have a few friends working for Mednax that were never partners in the buyout and they are reasonably happy with their jobs for the most part.

It's a job. Evaluate the offer and decide if what they are offering is better than what you could get elsewhere (allowing for how important geography is to you). I will almost guarantee Mednax is still paying a lot more than any academic job. For some reason, people like to rail on AMCs for stealing your money but have no problem with an academic department stealing even more of your money.
Maybe but academics typically has terrible payer mix, incredible inefficiency and low supervision ratios. Doesn’t make for a great bottom line.

Reactions: 2 users
Maybe but academics typically has terrible payer mix, incredible inefficiency and low supervision ratios. Doesn’t make for a great bottom line.

Yup agree.

Really depends what you value in life.

True Academics (not those clinical work horse/abuse young attending) mostly work average 40-45 hours a week. Usually relieved at 3pm. Calls 1:10 or more. Never 24 hour call weekday. Heck most are 12 hour calls.

Academics makes usually 270-350k plus very generous benefits. My buddy makes 325k (plus some extra income overtime extra calls etc). Comes out to around 340k w2 true academics state institution. Plus 401a (yes 401a). They throw in around 28k ish. Plus 403b plus 457b. So you talking around 78k-80k (around 52k employee pretax) pretax money plus and 2 weeks cme plus vacation and holiday. So the “package” is worth close to 400k

Vs amc private making 350-450k. But the hours worked. Maybe $5000-13000 employer into retirement. But working closer to 50-55 hours.

So my friend looked at cardiac anesthesia place paying 440k with 8 weeks off but calls 1:6 including OB sometimes. And it’s like F that. Not worth it for another 50k ish (30k after taxes). He’d rather stay in academics with more flexibility.

I know a couple of guys in academics who make 600-700k. They’re not chairmen but are full professors and clinically busy. They are among the better paid anesthesiologists in my community.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
I know a couple of guys in academics who make 600-700k. They’re not chairmen but are full professors and clinically busy. They are among the better paid anesthesiologists in my community.

:eek:

I know the guys he’s talking about. The department pulled back the reigns a bit, but they used to be able to take multiple sub-specialty calls at the same time (i.e. liver and peds) and get paid for both. While I was a resident, the ICU guys were paid really well because of the way the department counted their ICU weeks. Look up some UC faculty salaries - it’s all public info. I think you’ll be surprised how well they do when they put in PP type hours.

think you’ll be surprised how well they do when they put in PP type hours.

the docs working where I did residency put in longer hours than I do in PP

Reactions: 1 user