Men's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Pretty clueless about this kind of stuff so this thread has been very helpful. I was just wondering if this shirt is alright: http://www.menswearhouse.com//Produ...16443&parent_category_rn=116497&storeId=12751

The salesman at Men's Wearhouse said it was great for an interview and I thought it looked alright and fit fine so I went with it. It has ridges in the shirt and I'm just wondering if that's fine.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Pretty clueless about this kind of stuff so this thread has been very helpful. I was just wondering if this shirt is alright: http://www.menswearhouse.com//Produ...16443&parent_category_rn=116497&storeId=12751

The salesman at Men's Wearhouse said it was great for an interview and I thought it looked alright and fit fine so I went with it. It has ridges in the shirt and I'm just wondering if that's fine.

Thanks in advance.

Yeah, looks good. Little bit of texture is OK.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks in advance.

The only thing wrong with that shirt is the PRICE - WTF?! For a Men's Wearhouse shirt? Sorry guys -- You should be able to find a great-looking, well-made dress shirt in ANY normal size for under $35. (Really, for around $25 if you're willing to spend a few hours shopping.)

Thanks in advance.

Spend the extra 5-10 bucks and get a BOSS by Hugo Boss dress shirt from nordstroms.

The only thing wrong with that shirt is the PRICE - WTF?! For a Men's Wearhouse shirt? Sorry guys -- You should be able to find a great-looking, well-made dress shirt in ANY normal size for under $35. (Really, for around $25 if you're willing to spend a few hours shopping.)

Agreed. I get a lot of my shirts from Brooks Brothers (much higher quality than Calvin Klein) and get them for $50 or so during sales.

+1 on BB. They have frequent sales, to boot. I'm also a fan of their ties.

+1, their ties are amazing. If you have a BB outlet nearby that's the way to go. I went one year on New Years Day, and they had all their fall items on major discount + post-Xmas discounts as well. Additionally the cashier or whatever apparently remembered me from HS and gave me an extra 10% off. All in all I think I got out of there with 3 ties, 2 shirts and a pair of khakis for like $75, it was basically theft.

+1, their ties are amazing. If you have a BB outlet nearby that's the way to go. I went one year on New Years Day, and they had all their fall items on major discount + post-Xmas discounts as well. Additionally the cashier or whatever apparently remembered me from HS and gave me an extra 10% off. All in all I think I got out of there with 3 ties, 2 shirts and a pair of khakis for like $75, it was basically theft.

I'm jelly. I've been fixing to buy some new ties and pants - hopefully they have a sale soon.. :naughty:

I'll also throw in that if you know what you're looking for, eBay can turn up some very good deals - it's worked for me in the past.

Do you leave the last button unbuttoned when you stand and do you unbutton when you sit?

Yes and yes.

Never button the bottom button (unless it's a one-button coat, but that's generally reserved for tuxedo/dinner jackets).

When standing while wearing a two button jacket, always button the top button and never button the bottom one.

When standing while wearing a three button jacket, the top button is usually buttoned but not necessary, always button the second, and never button the bottom one.

In summary:
2 button: ALWAYS, NEVER
3 button: SOMETIMES, ALWAYS, NEVER

Thanks for the replies, guess I kind of got ripped off with that one. Luckily, my Uncle just handed me this for my interviews. Guess I can return the overpriced CK shirt...

Just wondering if this would be fine with a dark charcoal suit. The shirt is probably fine but I'm wondering about the tie and thought I'd ask the experts on here. Probably being neurotic about the whole thing but just want to be sure. Thanks.

Attachments

• shirt 2.jpg
    shirt 2.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 83
Thanks for the replies, guess I kind of got ripped off with that one. Luckily, my Uncle just handed me this for my interviews. Guess I can return the overpriced CK shirt...

Just wondering if this would be fine with a dark charcoal suit. The shirt is probably fine but I'm wondering about the tie and thought I'd ask the experts on here. Probably being neurotic about the whole thing but just want to be sure. Thanks.

I'm not exactly an "expert" but I think the colors will be fine, if a little boring. Personally I'm not a huge fan of that material with a striped tie (I prefer repp ties unless it's a solid color), but I think it's perfectly serviceable. If you want to try something a little more interesting, how about a yellow or soft red tie with blue stripes or a blue pattern?

m6ilfyfYRPCe9dw4laQwj9g.jpg

mXiGzuYdlM0G0wEiToyKvwg.jpg

mqFG5l8pIA1kQUW70GE84yg.jpg

Note: you don't have to have a blue pattern on your tie if you don't want, but matching the less dominant color to your shirt can really bring your outfit together - it's hard to screw up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the help so something like this would be better?

193A_GOLD

On the other hand, my parents are convinced this is the greatest tie of all time. I just feel it's too much blue if I'm already wearing the light blue shirt.

A241_BLUE-NAVY

Once again, probably making this harder than it should be but thanks for the advice. If there's anything on BB's website that you guys think is better, I'd go with that as well. I'm completely clueless with stuff like this.

Thanks for the help so something like this would be better?

On the other hand, my parents are convinced this is the greatest tie of all time. I just feel it's too much blue if I'm already wearing the light blue shirt.

Once again, probably making this harder than it should be but thanks for the advice. If there's anything on BB's website that you guys think is better, I'd go with that as well. I'm completely clueless with stuff like this.

The first tie is great. Not a fan of the second one.

Skinny people, where are you buying your dress shirts from? 5'10" 130ish here... I bought a 'slim-fit' shirt from Macy's, but it billows out from my body when I tuck it in. It seems that if something fits me in the arms, the body will be large... but if something fits me in the body, the arms are way too short.

Go to Joseph A Banks. They are probably the most budget friendly store where you can get exact fit shirts (none of that 34/35 stuff). They also have regular, tailored, and slim fit shirts. The other stores people have mentioned don't really have the selection of Jos A Banks.

Brooks Brothers 25% off sale through today. It's particularly good because it stacks with their 3 for 225 dress shirt deal. You basically get a $92 dress shirt for $56. Also, clearance sale items also get further discounted (got a luxury dress shirt for $60 that is normally $135). Also works for any of the other deals (like the discount for 2 suits).

Just a warning - regular fit shirts are gigantic. Go with slim if you are normal/muscular or extra slim if you are thin.

brooks brothers 25% off sale through today. It's particularly good because it stacks with their 3 for 225 dress shirt deal. You basically get a $92 dress shirt for $56. Also, clearance sale items also get further discounted (got a luxury dress shirt for $60 that is normally $135). Also works for any of the other deals (like the discount for 2 suits).

just a warning - regular fit shirts are gigantic. Go with slim if you are normal/muscular or extra slim if you are thin.

+1

Last Thursday I went through half of my interview day (including one of the interviews) with the bottom button of my suit jacket looped into the top 'hole', so the bottom of the jacket looked like a contorted mess. Nobody told me, I just randomly went to the bathroom and was horrified by what I saw in the mirror. Hopefully it won't influence my interviewer's decision.

Last Thursday I went through half of my interview day (including one of the interviews) with the bottom button of my suit jacket looped into the top 'hole', so the bottom of the jacket looked like a contorted mess. Nobody told me, I just randomly went to the bathroom and was horrified by what I saw in the mirror. Hopefully it won't influence my interviewer's decision.

I just lol'd

Sorry man, that sucks. I can't believe no one told you throughout the day. Also, I'm pretty sure you are supposed to unbutton your jacket when you sit down (I assume you were sitting for your interview).

I just lol'd

Sorry man, that sucks. I can't believe no one told you throughout the day. Also, I'm pretty sure you are supposed to unbutton your jacket when you sit down (I assume you were sitting for your interview).

Yes, unbutton jacket to sit down.

Hey guys... just wondering, is there an ideal tie thickness. I work as a sales rep for a rather upscale company and as such i wear a tie all the time. However most of my ties of of the more modern thin variety. People told me that these may be too "hipster" for a med school interview. They aren't all super thin, I have some that are just plain old thin. Do you guys think that's ok?

(sorry about the neurotic post... but isn't this whole thread one giant neurotic party anyway?)

Hey guys... just wondering, is there an ideal tie thickness. I work as a sales rep for a rather upscale company and as such i wear a tie all the time. However most of my ties of of the more modern thin variety. People told me that these may be too "hipster" for a med school interview. They aren't all super thin, I have some that are just plain old thin. Do you guys think that's ok?

(sorry about the neurotic post... but isn't this whole thread one giant neurotic party anyway?)

2.5"-3", roughly

2.5"-3", roughly

Your tie should match the width of your lapels within a quarter inch. 3.5 inches is the traditional width while 3 inches is a good width for suits with slimmer lapels. If your lapel is under 3 inches its not really appropriate for cbd, so go with whatever you want at that point.

That's because brown is usually ugly and makes you look old. If you have to wear it, it's not verboten like black is (particularly if the suit fits well), but it's not ideal

Neutral colors are actually a safe bet for anyone, but are less city than navy or charcoal, so not as appropriate for a med school interview.

One the topic of ties, please please please tie it to the right length. The tip of the tie should end at the belt/waistband. Wearing it too short or too long just looks completely ridiculous.

Heads up to anyone in here: Allen Edmonds is having a sale through the 15th, including Fifth Avenues for $239. That's as cheap as most of us are going to find them, new.

Heads up to anyone in here: Allen Edmonds is having a sale through the 15th, including Fifth Avenues for $239. That's as cheap as most of us are going to find them, new.

+1 solid deal

+1 solid deal

It's an even better deal to go with Amazon right now. They always (or almost always) price match the AE sales like this, plus you can sign up to get the 20% off coupon on shoes for Amazon, ultimately bringing down a pair of $345 shoes down to ~$190 (for firsts).

Is a charcoal suit with a light grey shirt and dark shaded tie too bland?

I should have been more clear; what do you think of the colors?

Consensus seems to be navy or charcoal, but I think this would better with my skin (pale to ruddy) and my eyes are bright blue.

It's an even better deal to go with Amazon right now. They always (or almost always) price match the AE sales like this, plus you can sign up to get the 20% off coupon on shoes for Amazon, ultimately bringing down a pair of $345 shoes down to ~$190 (for firsts).

Im trying to find that coupon... Can you see if that price applies to the AE strands?

The shocker. Nice.:D

Hahaha. IDK if a lot of the premeds will get that one LOL.

I should have been more clear; what do you think of the colors?

Consensus seems to be navy or charcoal, but I think this would better with my skin (pale to ruddy) and my eyes are bright blue.

He said the suit was a little too LIGHT, not TIGHT.

Just saw a commercial for Jos A Bank: buy 1 get 2 free sale

What do you guys think of this?

ChanningTatum.jpg

I think the suit color is fine, but I don't like the shirt color, and I think matching the tie to the suit like that looks tacky.

Also: ditch the stupid trendy wrist crap and refrain from using the shocker.

I'm thinking of doing a dark navy shirt with a black tie with my suit.

tumblr_m5n04rXqfY1r1vmjvo1_500.png

Would something like this be okay for the business casual portion of the interview? Was thinking a dark navy dress shirt, black pants, and brown shoes. No tie though.

Would something like this be okay for the business casual portion of the interview? Was thinking a dark navy dress shirt, black pants, and brown shoes. No tie though.

Ill probably be wearing the same, or a polo/khakis/loafers.

Just wanted to say I got accepted after wearing a black pinstripe suit with navy blue socks (I thought they were black) and a red tie.

For the people with less money, I recommend Ross. Got a nice pair for $32

Reactions: 1 user
Not a male but I wanted to add something.

After you get your suit dry clean, check right there to make sure everything is okay.

My pants got mixed up and because of the 48 hr policy they are not doing anything about it.

Just wanted to say I got accepted after wearing a black pinstripe suit with navy blue socks (I thought they were black) and a red tie.

Black suits won't sink your chances because most other interviewees will probably be dressed like they're going to a funeral as well; however, I'd say the advice in this thread is pretty spot-on and helped me dress sharply for my interview. The aim is to sell schools on you fitting into the culture of medicine. For better or worse, that means adhering to conservative, business attire.

For what it's worth, I wore a charcoal suit with a light blue shirt and a striped tie. I also polished my cap-toed oxford shoes the night before. Did it help me nab an acceptance? Maybe; it's hard to say. I didn't have to worry about not fitting the part during my interview, though.

I'm not sure why black suits are discussed so much on this forum. It is not proper ettiquette, but will it lead to a rejection, highly doubtful.