MHA Fall 2015: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can you give any insight on the campus/D.C? Is the campus big ...do u like it...ect? How do you like DC and living there? Im from the west coast and have never really been out there.
Well the campus of GWU is spread out over a few blocks in a nice part of DC. I'm also originally from the West Coast. In short, the university looks nothing like a typical university campus in California. If I was to compare it to a California school, the campus is much much smaller and I think that is because of a lack of space. The School of Public Health has a brand new building where the MHA students have their classes and spend their time. As it's brand new, its really nice. I imagine if I was a student there, I would like it. And it's literally a minute walk to the metro which is super convenient and something to love in the winter months when you don't want to be outside. There would be no sense in driving to campus as there's really nowhere to put your car, so again, really nice that it's so close to the metro.
Compared to the West Coast, the East Coast is different in every single way imaginable. Nothing is the same. Nothing.
Pros about DC area: diversity, culture, public transportation, a foodie's heaven, never a lack of things to do, beauty of the region.
Cons: Cold as #$% (though it doesn't snow as much as the Midwest or NorthEast), traffic, $$$ place to live regarding everything from rent to groceries, people are more uptight than West Coast people, it's not the West Coast.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Well the campus of GWU is spread out over a few blocks in a nice part of DC. I'm also originally from the West Coast. In short, the university looks nothing like a typical university campus in California. If I was to compare it to a California school, the campus is much much smaller and I think that is because of a lack of space. The School of Public Health has a brand new building where the MHA students have their classes and spend their time. As it's brand new, its really nice. I imagine if I was a student there, I would like it. And it's literally a minute walk to the metro which is super convenient and something to love in the winter months when you don't want to be outside. There would be no sense in driving to campus as there's really nowhere to put your car, so again, really nice that it's so close to the metro.
Compared to the West Coast, the East Coast is different in every single way imaginable. Nothing is the same. Nothing.
Pros about DC area: diversity, culture, public transportation, a foodie's heaven, never a lack of things to do, beauty of the region.
Cons: Cold as #$% (though it doesn't snow as much as the Midwest or NorthEast), traffic, $$$ place to live regarding everything from rent to groceries, people are more uptight than West Coast people, it's not the West Coast.

Wow thank you! This was real helpful. Yea I heard living there is real expensive on the other hand people have told me living in Maryland or Virginia is significantly cheaper. True?

Haha I'm also from California, and I agree with EVERY word you said...

Wow thank you! This was real helpful. Yea I heard living there is real expensive on the other hand people have told me living in Maryland or Virginia is significantly cheaper. True?

It is definitely cheaper, but DC's traffic is just as bad or worse than LA. I personally don't think it's convenient to live far from school. The current students told me it's a good option but everyone I talked to lived walking distance to school, lol

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
This is my first time posting on here but I have been following for a while. I was also accepted to Mizzou for Fall 2015. Did you receive any information regarding financial aid and/or when you need to make your decision? When I was accepted to the University of Utah they sent me a packet that contained financial aid information among other things.

I too have been accepted to Mizzou for Fall 2015. I did not even receive an official letter in the mail... only email form. So looks like we are in the same boat here.

How long after Tulane interviews did you get decisions?

If you're going to live close enough to commute to campus via metro, it'll still be pricey, though not nearly as pricey as living within the district. You're looking around 1300 for a one bedroom minimum in the closest VA suburbs being Arlington, Falls Church, Alexandria. Living farther then that would make your life difficult. The places I mentioned are 5-10 miles and metro accessible from the university. The student I spoke to mentioned that some of her classmates live in Arlington. This could be a money saving option for you. Also, if you choose to go there, perhaps you can find a potential room mate within your cohort.
Again, driving to campus will most likely be a hassle due to both traffic and lack of parking. We're talking about a major downtown area. It's just quicker and easier to metro it.

In other news, got my acceptance to GWU this morning.

If you're going to live close enough to commute to campus via metro, it'll still be pricey, though not nearly as pricey as living within the district. You're looking around 1300 for a one bedroom minimum in the closest VA suburbs being Arlington, Falls Church, Alexandria. Living farther then that would make your life difficult. The places I mentioned are 5-10 miles and metro accessible from the university. The student I spoke to mentioned that some of her classmates live in Arlington. This could be a money saving option for you. Also, if you choose to go there, perhaps you can find a potential room mate within your cohort.
Again, driving to campus will most likely be a hassle due to both traffic and lack of parking. We're talking about a major downtown area. It's just quicker and easier to metro it.

In other news, got my acceptance to GWU this morning.

Nice! Congratulations ! 1300 a month ?!?!?! For a one bedroom? Hmm well studio/ one bedroom is usually expensive ...how much would you say a 2 bedroom would be in those cities vs in DC. I haven't actually looked into rent out there ...since I'm still a lil far from making a decision on where I'll go. Speaking to someone who lives there is definately coming in handy however.

Undergraduate School:
Undergraduate GPA:
Major(s)/Minor(s): Political Science and German majors / Global Public Health minor
GRE: 305

Applied: The Ohio State University, Saint Louis University, Rush University (all 10/10/14)
Interview: OSU-1/9, (offered 11/5); SLU-1/16, (offered 10/14); Rush-withdrew (offered 11/3)
Accepted: OSU 1/13; SLU 1/16
Attending: OSU

If anyone would like more info regarding the OSU/SLU interview process, just let me know!

Last edited:
Undergraduate School:
Undergraduate GPA:
Major(s)/Minor(s): Political Science and German majors / Global Public Health minor
GRE: 305

Applied: The Ohio State University, Saint Louis University, Rush University (all 10/10/14)
Interview: OSU-1/9, (offered 11/5); SLU-1/16, (offered 10/14); Rush-withdrew (offered 11/3)
Accepted: OSU 1/13; SLU 1/16

If anyone would like more info regarding the OSU/SLU interview process, just let me know!
Congratulations on your acceptances. Where do you see yourself going at this point?

I'm a little puzzled by the dates you posted. For OSU and SLU, your 'offered' dates seem to precede the interview dates. And how do those 'offered' dates differ from your 'accepted' dates? Are they not the same thing?

I just want to make sure I have a proper sense of the respective timelines for those all-important data points. Thanks...

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone done an on-campus interview at Michigan? I see that one of the events on the itinerary is "A public health group activity and presentation" and I'm not sure if that means I will be presenting or if a public health group is coming to present. I just want to be prepared!

Hello,
I have an interview for VCU MHA program on February 13th. Does anyone know the chances of being accepted to the VCU program if offered an interview? I heard that they tell you their decision on the day of the interview. Is that still true? In addition, any help/tips/recommendations that could help me prepare for the interview would be awesome.

Thanks

Just curious, is there anyone who has heard nothing back from Michigan so far? My application was complete back in November and I received a confirmation email of my application, but haven't gotten an interview or denied yet.

Also, I just got an acceptance yesterday to JHU! Still debating on the merits of the accelerated program. If anyone else was accepted and wants to chat, feel free to send me a PM. Also feel free to message me about the JHU application process as well.

Just got an email from Yale, accepted into Health Care Management Program!!!! Almost cried when I saw that email...finally waiting pays off!!

Congrats everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations everyone!

I want to apply a year after I graduate so I can get some experience. If I can't get a job relevant to healthcare administration, what's the next best experience? Internships? Volunteering?

Thanks!

Congratulations everyone!

I want to apply a year after I graduate so I can get some experience. If I can't get a job relevant to healthcare administration, what's the next best experience? Internships? Volunteering?

Thanks!
I would begin by setting up informational interviews with leaders at a local hospital, consulting firm, etc (depending on what you're interested in). Interview with individuals in a wide variety of roles and ask about their careers, how they got to where they are, who else they would recommend meeting with, etc, as well as additional ways they would recommend gaining experience and exploring the field. This could lead to shadowing opportunities and perhaps a volunteer/internship position.

Also, if you lack experience, a job doesn't necessarily have to be in the health administration field, but in a healthcare setting. For example, working in patient admitting will give you insight into general hospital operations, patient flow, etc. It will give you access to plenty of leaders in healthcare for informational interviews, a chance to make connections, build relationships, demonstrate your work ethic, and show your interest in the health administration field.

Hope this helps, if anyone else wants to share other ways of gaining expereince in the field, please chime in!

Last edited:
Congratulations on your acceptances. Where do you see yourself going at this point?

I'm a little puzzled by the dates you posted. For OSU and SLU, your 'offered' dates seem to precede the interview dates. And how do those 'offered' dates differ from your 'accepted' dates? Are they not the same thing?

I just want to make sure I have a proper sense of the respective timelines for those all-important data points. Thanks...
I really like OSU, it is a really great program, but I am waiting on financial aid offers before I make a final decision. I'll know better in the next couple weeks!

Last edited:
I would begin by setting up informational interviews with leaders at a local hospital, consulting firm, etc (depending on what you're interested in). Interview with individuals in a wide variety of roles and ask about their careers, how they got to where they are, who else they would recommend meeting with, etc, as well as additional ways they would recommend gaining experience and exploring the field. This could lead to shadowing opportunities and perhaps a volunteer/internship position.

Also, if you lack expereince, a job doesn't necessarily have to be in the health administration field, but in a healthcare setting. For example, working in patient admitting will give you insight into general hospital operations, patient flow, etc. It will give you access to plenty of leaders in healthcare for informational interviews, a chance to make connections, build relationships, demonstrate your work ethic, and show your interest in the health administration field.

Hope this helps, if anyone else wants to share other ways of gaining expereince in the field, please chime in!

This is great advice!

To add, if you're in an academic health system setting (whatever job it may be), they could offer discounts to professional classes or have in-house training classes to learn about quality, IT, patient experience, etc. On top of the knowledge you gain, this is also great for networking.

Has anyone done an on-campus interview at Michigan? I see that one of the events on the itinerary is "A public health group activity and presentation" and I'm not sure if that means I will be presenting or if a public health group is coming to present. I just want to be prepared!

I would love to hear more about the UMich visit day experience also!

Nice! Congratulations ! 1300 a month ?!?!?! For a one bedroom? Hmm well studio/ one bedroom is usually expensive ...how much would you say a 2 bedroom would be in those cities vs in DC. I haven't actually looked into rent out there ...since I'm still a lil far from making a decision on where I'll go. Speaking to someone who lives there is definately coming in handy however.

2 bedroom I'd say starting range in the closest VA suburbs with metro access 1450ish if you're lucky. More like 1700 most decent places. I'm not sure how much rent is in the district or in Maryland suburbs, but I imagine the most expensive would be within the district. I have a friend who lives in Georgetown who is planning on moving to Arlington, VA because according to her, there was a 1000$ difference in rent for the same square footage as soon as you cross the Potomac into VA.

I would love to hear more about the UMich visit day experience also!
I did it recently. I'm not going to divulge too much because I don't want to risk giving undue advantage to anyone, nor do I wish to undermine UMich's admissions process.

I will say this though... It's an all day thing, and although everyone is very nice and professional, it's clearly a vetting process. It's designed such that you'll be able to see what they're about, and they'll be able to see what you're about. I'll leave it at that.

Reactions: 2 users
I did it recently. I'm not going to divulge too much because I don't want to risk giving undue advantage to anyone, nor do I wish to undermine UMich's admissions process.

I will say this though... It's an all day thing, and although everyone is very nice and professional, it's clearly a vetting process. It's designed such that you'll be able to see what they're about, and they'll be able to see what you're about. I'll leave it at that.

Sounds exciting...

That's actually really helpful. Thank you!

Anyone had the phone interview with Columbia??? :)

Just got an email from Yale, accepted into Health Care Management Program!!!! Almost cried when I saw that email...finally waiting pays off!!

Congrats!! I got the email a couple weeks ago as well. Were you thinking of going to their admitted students event in March?

Thanks

Thanks for your response! Hope it went well for you.

Congrats :). Is this where you will be attending ?

Congrats!! I got the email a couple weeks ago as well. Were you thinking of going to their admitted students event in March?

I didn't get an email for that....I was searching for a visit day kind of thing though...did you get it in a separate email??

Congrats :). Is this where you will be attending ?

Haha, my friends were telling me that I have to go there, I guess because of its prestige...But I personally think Columbia's curriculum is more attractive than Yale's. You have any insight?

I didn't get an email for that....I was searching for a visit day kind of thing though...did you get it in a separate email??

Mine said this "Please reserve Friday, March 27, 2015 as we will be hosting our Open House for Admitted Students on that date. Additional information will be forthcoming."

Let me know if you or anyone else decide to go; still debating it.

Mine said this "Please reserve Friday, March 27, 2015 as we will be hosting our Open House for Admitted Students on that date. Additional information will be forthcoming."

Was it a separate email, or in your acceptance email?? uhm...I'm a little concerned, I never got that email...
If I were invited, I would go! I'd love to visit the campus, heard it's beautiful. I'm from the west coast, so it'll be a nice trip...

Heyyy, NEVERMIND. I didn't see that last sentence until now!! Guess I was too excited...-.-
And yes, I will be going!!! Are you planning to go??

Haha, my friends were telling me that I have to go there, I guess because of its prestige...But I personally think Columbia's curriculum is more attractive than Yale's. You have any insight?
Woah you got into Columbia as well?!?! Nice! Honestly do not choose a school based on prestige and name ...if u feel Columbia has a better program and is more tailored towards your goals then go there. Don't go to yale because it's yale ...you'll probably end up regretting it and in even larger debt lol

Heyyy, NEVERMIND. I didn't see that last sentence until now!! Guess I was too excited...-.-
And yes, I will be going!!! Are you planning to go??

Haha yea definitely should be excited. I'm probably going to wait on a few more details. I'm an international student so still not sure if its worth making the flight for one day.

Haha yea definitely should be excited. I'm probably going to wait on a few more details. I'm an international student so still not sure if its worth making the flight for one day.

Oh, then it's probably not worth it..lol
International from where?

Oh, then it's probably not worth it..lol
International from where?

Yea I'm from China.
Have an interview with Columbia and UMichigan next Friday so guess I'll wait it out and see.

Yea I'm from China.
Have an interview with Columbia and UMichigan next Friday so guess I'll wait it out and see.

I'm Chinese too! I came from China in middle school.
And I also have an interview with Columbia next week. Would you like Columbia more or Yale more? I'm trying to decide between the two.

Anyone had the phone interview with Columbia??

Also, if you lack expereince, a job doesn't necessarily have to be in the health administration field, but in a healthcare setting. For example, working in patient admitting will give you insight into general hospital operations, patient flow, etc. It will give you access to plenty of leaders in healthcare for informational interviews, a chance to make connections, build relationships, demonstrate your work ethic, and show your interest in the health administration field.

Thanks for the detailed reply! I'll definitely look into this

@wwxx

Thats so cool! Definitely looking forward to meeting you at the open house then!

I'm having troubles deciding myself; I guess it really does depend on your concentration. I feel like Yale is better for the heavily researched focused areas. They have a smaller faculty and you get more opportunity to pursue research, which really helps if you're looking to get a Ph.D or go into academia.

As for myself, I'm in Healthcare management, so I definitely feel like Columbia has an upper hand with that. Reading through the previous years thread, it seems like Yale has weaker career services so students have to do most of the leg work themselves. Also Columbia, being in NYC just has many more connections with the consulting firms etc.

Do you have a preference yet?

@wwxx

Thats so cool! Definitely looking forward to meeting you at the open house then!

I'm having troubles deciding myself; I guess it really does depend on your concentration. I feel like Yale is better for the heavily researched focused areas. They have a smaller faculty and you get more opportunity to pursue research, which really helps if you're looking to get a Ph.D or go into academia.

As for myself, I'm in Healthcare management, so I definitely feel like Columbia has an upper hand with that. Reading through the previous years thread, it seems like Yale has weaker career services so students have to do most of the leg work themselves. Also Columbia, being in NYC just has many more connections with the consulting firms etc.

Do you have a preference yet?

I completely agree with you! I want to go into private sector instead of government, so I personally like Columbia's curriculum. However, Yale does have bigger recognition than Columbia (as I can definitely tell a difference with my friends/family's reactions) And I heard Yale gives out more Financial Aid (may not apply to you). And NYC is much more expensive, New Haven is only 1.5-2 hours away from NYC, so I'm guessing there still will be connections into the city. I live in California and I'm planning to move back to California after Master's, so to me, school recognition is more important than in-area connections.

As of career services, I haven't done that part of my research yet, but of course, that is the most important thing!
However, I think Yale's smaller class size might give better opportunities because you won't get as much competition when everyone graduates at the same time.

I'm currently 80-20 for Yale-Columbia. But it's because I'm not accepted into Columbia yet, only interview, haha.
If I get accepted, I really wouldn't know what to do!

I completely agree with you! I want to go into private sector instead of government, so I personally like Columbia's curriculum. However, Yale does have bigger recognition than Columbia (as I can definitely tell a difference with my friends/family's reactions) And I heard Yale gives out more Financial Aid (may not apply to you). And NYC is much more expensive, New Haven is only 1.5-2 hours away from NYC, so I'm guessing there still will be connections into the city. I live in California and I'm planning to move back to California after Master's, so to me, school recognition is more important than in-area connections.

As of career services, I haven't done that part of my research yet, but of course, that is the most important thing!
However, I think Yale's smaller class size might give better opportunities because you won't get as much competition when everyone graduates at the same time.

I'm currently 80-20 for Yale-Columbia. But it's because I'm not accepted into Columbia yet, only interview, haha.
If I get accepted, I really wouldn't know what to do!

Yea, definitely with you on that. When you say private sector do you mean consulting? Thats most likely what I'll have to start out doing as well, they say its near impossible for international students to secure admin fellowships.

They're both great programs, the dilemma can wait until Columbia actually accepts us haha.

Has anyone heard back from Hopkins recently? I know several of you got accepted before the new year, congrats, but anything in the last month?

There's usually an interview with Teresa too right? Does anyone know how long after the interview they send out decisions?

Has anyone heard back from Hopkins recently? I know several of you got accepted before the new year, congrats, but anything in the last month?

There's usually an interview with Teresa too right? Does anyone know how long after the interview they send out decisions?
I got my decision (12/19) about one month after my interview (11/21).

Hi, I interviewed last week (1/27) and haven't heard back as of yet. From last year's thread, it seems like they take longer to follow up post interview than other schools.