Mississippi College Masters of Medical Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not sure, either Gross or Med Phys. I was wondering what kind of content review I could do before hand that might help.

Honestly, any content review for either of those classes are not going to do you any good. Nothing is going to match the quality free time you should be taking advantage of right now. Maybe work on your medical school application or other important things.

The pace of the classes are pretty extraordinary and includes a lot of self-study.

Enjoy your freedom.

Members don't see this ad.

So what would be the best way to get a head-start before entering these classes? What can I do now to prepare?
Do your graduate paper now. You will need two or three of them depending on how you take the five hours. The papers must center around cell biology in some way and must be about 2500 words. Also you can prepare for graduate seminar. This is a 25 min power point presentation on anything science. Get these done and you will be ahead.

Hi guys,

What do you think of the following schedule for my first semester, starting this Spring:

Histology (5) , Medical Microbiology (4), Immunology (3), and Seminar (2).

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do your graduate paper now. You will need two or three of them depending on how you take the five hours. The papers must center around cell biology in some way and must be about 2500 words. Also you can prepare for graduate seminar. This is a 25 min power point presentation on anything science. Get these done and you will be ahead.

I'll go ahead and do the papers but it will honestly probably take me about a day or two. I love writing papers. What are the specifications on the paper? And why is it cell biology? Also, how many references will I need? (Could you also give me the specs on the PP presentation as well?)

I'll go ahead and do the papers but it will honestly probably take me about a day or two. I love writing papers. What are the specifications on the paper? And why is it cell biology? Also, how many references will I need? (Could you also give me the specs on the PP presentation as well?)

http://www.mc.edu/faculty/dunigan

Click on the vertebrate histology syllabus and you should see the criteria around page 6 of the pdf.

It's fairly easy and they have no citation requirements.

Hi guys,

What do you think of the following schedule for my first semester, starting this Spring:

Histology (5) , Medical Microbiology (4), Immunology (3), and Seminar (2).

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

Fairly solid course load. Something to think about is that since you are using up Histology as a 5 credit course, you will have to double up on on neuro/med phys/gross at some point to finish in 1 year. Histology is considered to be the easiest of the 5's so most people save it and combine with a harder five credit. If you are taking the 1.5 year route, as most people do, that is a good schedule. Maybe even go lighter since MC has 5 semesters (Fall, Spring, May, Sum I, Sum II). Obviously you can't take full course loads during May, Sum I, and Sum II but it helps to spread it out.

Sure thing. It is cell bio because Baldwin said so ( a theme you will get used to around here) Specs are pretty standard, 12 point font, double spaced stuff 2500 words must be the body. Most of you grade on the paper is the questions that are added to the final so know what you write very well. There is no reference limit however I would recommend at least 7. The power point is super easy, you will need a title slide, introduction to the discussion slide, background slide, slides that make up the body, a summary or conclusion slide, a slide that says "Any Questions?" and a slide with your references. Font should be understandable, pictures clear and slides should not have too much text. A few people present on their undergrad research, I did, while the majority present on library research.

Fairly solid course load. Something to think about is that since you are using up Histology as a 5 credit course, you will have to double up on on neuro/med phys/gross at some point to finish in 1 year. Histology is considered to be the easiest of the 5's so most people save it and combine with a harder five credit. If you are taking the 1.5 year route, as most people do, that is a good schedule. Maybe even go lighter since MC has 5 semesters (Fall, Spring, May, Sum I, Sum II). Obviously you can't take full course loads during May, Sum I, and Sum II but it helps to spread it out.

While it maybe the easiest of the 5 hours it is NOT easy. compared to UG or other graduate course work of equal value.

Sure thing. It is cell bio because Baldwin said so ( a theme you will get used to around here) Specs are pretty standard, 12 point font, double spaced stuff 2500 words must be the body. Most of you grade on the paper is the questions that are added to the final so know what you write very well. There is no reference limit however I would recommend at least 7. The power point is super easy, you will need a title slide, introduction to the discussion slide, background slide, slides that make up the body, a summary or conclusion slide, a slide that says "Any Questions?" and a slide with your references. Font should be understandable, pictures clear and slides should not have too much text. A few people present on their undergrad research, I did, while the majority present on library research.

HAHA! My PP is already done then! I had to do this every year when I did UG research. I think I have 5 presentations to choose from :D. And does each 5 credit hour course have a paper?

What the heck are "double true/false" questions?!?!?!

HAHA! My PP is already done then! I had to do this every year when I did UG research. I think I have 5 presentations to choose from :D. And does each 5 credit hour course have a paper?

Yes, but if you take two 5's in the same semester, you can have 1 paper for both.

Question to Worldchanger - do you actually get a grade in graduate seminar or is it a P/F ?

The end of happiness as you know it.....

They are multi part true or false questions, that the program uses to compress the insane amount of materiel down to 50 questions yet still keep things cumulative. It always have two statements then you must select if both are true, both are false or if one is true and the other is false. 4 options. This may sound simple however if you get one wrong the whole question is wrong. They are very common on tests were minute details are tested such as gross and histo. They only way to get them right is to know everything at all times or to be extremely lucky.

Yes, but if you take two 5's in the same semester, you can have 1 paper for both.

Question to Worldchanger - do you actually get a grade in graduate seminar or is it a P/F ?
It is an A - F grade however most people get an A or a B. It is quite simple really and the class only meets for 5 to 6 weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)

Something you will come to love to hate and hate to love.

It's basically 2 T/F questions into a single question, essentially allowing them to put 2 questions into 1 question... if that makes sense. So even if you know the answer to 1 T/F, if you don't know the 2nd one, you have a 50/50 of getting it wrong.

Honestly, that isn't that bad... the multiple choices are worse...

A) 1
B) 2
C) 3
D) 4
E) More than one of the above

Choice E, basically makes you think twice about every single damn answer choice.

Last edited:
It is an A - F grade however most people get an A or a B. It is quite simple really and the class only meets for 5 to 6 weeks.

Talked with Baldwin today and he recommended I take Med Phys & Endo/GI & Seminar together for spring since I have the first semester background to handle it. Hesitant but will probably follow through. Hopefully hit the shelf out of the park with that combo.

Looked at Endo/GI syllabi and it asks for a 5k paper.. -_- guess i'll get that out of the way during winter vacation.

Thank you. I was thinking of making my first semester a little lighter, to get a feel for it.

I think this schedule should allow me to finish in one year.
Spring: Medical Micro (4), Histology (5), Immunology (3), Seminar (2).
Summer: DNA forensics (3) and Biochemistry metabolism (3)
Fall: Gross (8) and Neuro (5) maybe Cell physiology (2)
And that's 33 credits.

What you think?

hahaha sounds crazy...I started looking at other syllabi and they sound SO intense!! I'm excited and intimidated all at the same time!

Thank you. I was thinking of making my first semester a little lighter, to get a feel for it.

And that's 33 credits.

What you think?

From what I've been hearing from other students, it seems that gross and neuro would be a very difficult mix. A hefty amount of memorization.

From what I've been hearing from other students, it seems that gross and neuro would be a very difficult mix. A hefty amount of memorization.

I heard neuro is more conceptual though. Plus if it's Gross and Neuro only, I think I should be fine.

Question: For the essays, I noticed that the essay for Endo is like 5000+ words. Are there any other classes who differ from the basic specs found on the grad paper guidelines?

And that's 33 credits.

What you think?

I think you will hate yourself if you take gross and neuro together but it will be an interesting experience since you will have to be in the cadaver lab for neuro anyway with the wet lab portion now. I know people who are taking it together this semester and they are banking on the 4th test for gross to be mainly neuro material. If that is the case, you might be able to pull it off. I would not recommend taking the cell phys in fall if you want to take neuro & gross together. Possibly do it in the may semester or add onto the summer semester.

Is there a reason for you to finish in one year? Most people realize they don't have a legit reason and end up with worse grades for pushing themselves to finish in 1 year.

Something else to consider is that if you apply during the summer, you will also have to worry about taking time off for interviews, secondaries, etc. I don't know how this fits with your time-line since most people start in the fall.

I think you will hate yourself if you take gross and neuro together but it will be an interesting experience since you will have to be in the cadaver lab for neuro anyway with the wet lab portion now. I know people who are taking it together this semester and they are banking on the 4th test for gross to be mainly neuro material. If that is the case, you might be able to pull it off. I would not recommend taking the cell phys in fall if you want to take neuro & gross together. Possibly do it in the may semester or add onto the summer semester.

Is there a reason for you to finish in one year? Most people realize they don't have a legit reason and end up with worse grades for pushing themselves to finish in 1 year.

Something else to consider is that if you apply during the summer, you will also have to worry about taking time off for interviews, secondaries, etc. I don't know how this fits with your time-line since most people start in the fall.

Not a huge reason to finish in one year, but I think I would like to get out of mississippi asap. I might end up taking the summer off to retake my DAT and deal with all the application stuff. Then I would have to come back in Spring to finish.

Do you think gross and med physiology be a better combination?

I heard neuro is more conceptual though. Plus if it's Gross and Neuro only, I think I should be fine.

This is strictly my opinion and I have only taken neuro and histology

Hardest to easiest

Memorization scale:
Gross
Neuro
Histology
Med Phys

Concept scale:
Med Phys
Neuro
Gross
Histology

Problem with histology is that it is tons of material that is only partially linked unlike other classes, so it feels like a memorization heavy class, but that really isn't the correct way to study. Most of our body has a reason for the way it has evolved or made, thus function and anatomy are highly linked. If you take this approach, histology really becomes somewhat concept based and things make a lot more sense. Test 1/2 was memory heavy, I will admit. However, ever since we hit test 3 material, everything has been more concept based than memory.

Last edited:
Question: For the essays, I noticed that the essay for Endo is like 5000+ words. Are there any other classes who differ from the basic specs found on the grad paper guidelines?

Yes, there are other classes with different requirements. If you are wondering, you can probably e-mail them and ask for the syllabus ahead of time.

Not a huge reason to finish in one year, but I think I would like to get out of mississippi asap. I might end up taking the summer off to retake my DAT and deal with all the application stuff. Then I would have to come back in Spring to finish.

Do you think gross and med physiology be a better combination?

I think no one can really give you a straight answer. If you are a top-notch student and are able to really study, you can pull anything off. However, since with the new wet lab requirement of 20+ hours per week (read that again.. 20+ hrs REQUIRED) in gross, it is a huge dramatic time sink. You will most likely have to spend additional time to study for the material on top of the required.

People struggle with doing neuro/gross or gross/med phys right now without the wet lab... imagine with it. I even question gross/histo at this point, which was a doable option before. Since you are looking to do it in the fall, I would make your schedule tentative and see how the people fair this spring. Their opinion will help make your decision more clairvoyant.

Do you really have to take general micro before you can take medical micro?

And that's 33 credits.

What you think?

Looks good and hopefully you will get into a school before that gross and neuro combo hits. That is going to hurt.

Hey all, I got accepted for entrance this spring. 26YO WM and I'm finishing up a post-bac at UF in microbio, and will graduate in Deciember in fairly good standing (~3.8). I'm trying to get into dental school and took virology, parasitology, molecular genetics, euk/prok cell structure and function, and grad immunology during the post-bac.

I have followed this thread for sometime and I am looking at making my schedule. I hear that histo is the "easiest" of the 5 credits. Obviously these are opinions and thus subjective, but it appears to be a common trend.

Is there a link with a checklist of the credits so that one could devise a plan to attach the 33 credits? As I understand it, we are require 3/4 of the 5 credit histology/gross/med phys/neuro... is that correct? It sounds like, at least on this forum, that most people take all 4, is that right?

As I understand it, the gross and wet lab will count for 8 credits this/next fall (2013) and will have a 20+ hour/week requirement in the wet lab; in addition its best to wait to receive the entire 8 credits instead of the 5 credits? What would be a good courses to pair with it?

I'm trying not to kill myself in the semesters ahead, but it can't be much worse than working 35+ hours a week with 14+ credits, being married and have a 9month old running around, or is it? I expect to continue the same routine, sleep at midnight or later and up at 6AM...... you get the drill. The difference being that I will be moving by myself and wont be working and unfortunately, wont have my little one near (FL resident). I still need to talk with Dr. Baldwin concerning his input on potential future schedule.

What pairs of classes DO mesh well together? Either co-related material or opposing study types....ie 100% memorization mixed with purely application of material? or one super easy class elective with a monster bastard class? I'm open for input.

Sorry for such a long post, but I'm sure I will have more questions later..

Lastly, Anyone looking for a roomie this this upcoming spring?

Where is a good place to live? I hear turnover is sloth-esque in Clinton... Also hear Jackson has decent places, but requires a bit of a drive (20-30 min correct?). Anywhere closer to Clinton that is reasonable withe 1br or 2br?

Honestly, I'm there to study and get a 4.0 and could care less about the nightlife (Wife at home). Thanks in advance for the input.

Hey all, I got accepted for entrance this spring. 26YO WM and I'm finishing up a post-bac at UF in microbio, and will graduate in Deciember in fairly good standing (~3.8). I'm trying to get into dental school and took virology, parasitology, molecular genetics, euk/prok cell structure and function, and grad immunology during the post-bac.

I have followed this thread for sometime and I am looking at making my schedule. I hear that histo is the "easiest" of the 5 credits. Obviously these are opinions and thus subjective, but it appears to be a common trend.

Is there a link with a checklist of the credits so that one could devise a plan to attach the 33 credits? As I understand it, we are require 3/4 of the 5 credit histology/gross/med phys/neuro... is that correct? It sounds like, at least on this forum, that most people take all 4, is that right?

As I understand it, the gross and wet lab will count for 8 credits this/next fall (2013) and will have a 20+ hour/week requirement in the wet lab; in addition its best to wait to receive the entire 8 credits instead of the 5 credits? What would be a good courses to pair with it?

I'm trying not to kill myself in the semesters ahead, but it can't be much worse than working 35+ hours a week with 14+ credits, being married and have a 9month old running around, or is it? I expect to continue the same routine, sleep at midnight or later and up at 6AM...... you get the drill. The difference being that I will be moving by myself and wont be working and unfortunately, wont have my little one near (FL resident). I still need to talk with Dr. Baldwin concerning his input on potential future schedule.

What pairs of classes DO mesh well together? Either co-related material or opposing study types....ie 100% memorization mixed with purely application of material? or one super easy class elective with a monster bastard class? I'm open for input.

Sorry for such a long post, but I'm sure I will have more questions later..

Lastly, Anyone looking for a roomie this this upcoming spring?

Oh boy another future dentist... You will fit right in there are a ton of you guys here so you find lots of friends. However if you had a 3.8 post bacc why in the world would you come out here? If it is your DAT just retake it, 20 gets you in. This is a desperate place for desperate people, this is why they keep us in the basement.

Ok so from the top. Baldwin will send you the recommended list however be careful, he has you in mind however you may feel left behind if you follow his schedule to the letter. Yes you are required to select 3 out of the four and there is no way in hell most people take 4 out of 4. Only those that don't finish in a year do that but even then it is asking for trouble. Coming in the spring you are best off to start with a "lite" schedule. Select one five hour and two other classes. In the summer take a few other side classes like biochem so when you do take that gross class you only take in with one other class. The 8 hour class is going to be nuts, you can expect to be in the lab 20 hours per week and on top of that 10 to 12 hours of independent study. Finally you can finish strongly with either med phys or neuro and move on with your life. What pairs well with the five hour classes well anything that is 3 hours or less. If you have to you could pair med phys with endo GI as many people do however this semester that combo ended the hopes and dreams of a few people already. Histo and gross are 99% memory classes and you will be expected to know everything at all times. Yes, everything include minute details like what color ribosomes stains. ( If you said blue its wrong, only basophilic will do and it is a light blue. Yes they do actually ask this kind of stuff) Med phys and Neuro are a bit different while yes there is some memorization, but have an intuitive method to understanding them. Basically you have to think your way out of trouble. Here of the five hours has a saving grace. For histo, gross and neuro it is the lab. On most tests 100 on the lab and 70 on the lecture gets you an A. This is very doable in histo, gross and neuro this can be quite a bit harder however still reasonable. With med phys it is how Baldwin writes the test that makes it a saving grace. Basically if you do all of the guyton practice sets you may notice he likes to copy and paste a few interesting problems, From BRS he like to use the tables and charts just reworded. If you are good a spotting tricks, you will do very well in this class while your classmate can't figure out what is going on. Basically the guy to success in this program is to take it slower then you think you should, and study everything until you can rewrite your notes from memory when given just a keyword.

Where is a good place to live? I hear turnover is sloth-esque in Clinton... Also hear Jackson has decent places, but requires a bit of a drive (20-30 min correct?). Anywhere closer to Clinton that is reasonable withe 1br or 2br?

Honestly, I'm there to study and get a 4.0 and could care less about the nightlife (Wife at home). Thanks in advance for the input.

Glad you are not worried about night life because there is none. There is a ton of turn over in Clinton, just it happens in summer. Call around in the apartment complex, you never know what maybe popping up.

Thanks for the heads up.

The 3.8 isnt bad, but I applied to 17 schools and been rejected by 10 so far without even an interview. Also note my first BS (nutrition) was terrible (~2.6ish), albeit also from UF.

Can anybody hook me up with Dr. Baldwin's syllabi for human neuroanatomy and medical physiology? I just kind of want a heads up for those.

Can anybody hook me up with Dr. Baldwin's syllabi for human neuroanatomy and medical physiology? I just kind of want a heads up for those.

PM with e-mail and I'l send it for you

Thanks for the heads up.

The 3.8 isnt bad, but I applied to 17 schools and been rejected by 10 so far without even an interview. Also note my first BS (nutrition) was terrible (~2.6ish), albeit also from UF.

Really? Even after an awesome post bacc? Wow... So what make you think this masters will help? I mean I know it helps a ton of people get into dental school all over the country... ( Not so much for med school though :shrug:)

You should get in contact with the schools that have rejected you and find out what the deal is. You may feel stupid if you waste a ton of money on this masters only to find out you were rejected because of spelling errors or a bad LOR

I will inquire after Dec 1st, as most state that is the time to do so. I know it sucks right? lol

I will inquire after Dec 1st, as most state that is the time to do so. I know it sucks right? lol
Yeah that is true.... The DO schools that have rejected me talked to me right away ( after I emailed them a set up an appointment) Dec 1st is a small wait and if you find out that it is something small and simple you still have lots of time.

UGH STILL NO RESPONSE FROM BALDWIN!!!! Seriously?! How long am I gonna have to wait? All of my materials have been in for almost a month now.

Did you try calling again? That's weird they haven't updated you as of yet. Although it is quite hectic in the department right now.

I haven't tried calling again...I don't want to come off as annoying...but if you think it's a good idea, I'll give it a try tomorrow

I haven't tried calling again...I don't want to come off as annoying...but if you think it's a good idea, I'll give it a try tomorrow

Long as it's only like once every 1-2 week, I don't think it'll come off as annoying.

You should know that they dont take too many new people in the spring but I always assumed that was because few applied. I dont think Baldwin is going to reject you but he may not get to you until after turkey day and you can see what that may do to your chances of getting into classes. As of yesterday med phys was full and neuro was pretty close to full. I think a few people will drop if they get into gross but that is only a few. Histo is still wide open so you should be able to get atleast one 5 hr. Med micro is full for sure by now. Peeps are strange in this program. It is common for people to sign up for classes they dont have any interest in then drop them trying to snag a class they may want. Some people will even barter classes. I hope you hear back from baldwin soon.

Dang it! They are jacking with my schedule! I guess I just have to be flexible. How is endo holding up? I've already started writing that paper.

When do you guys think would be the best time to call Dr. Baldwin about my application?

Dang it! They are jacking with my schedule! I guess I just have to be flexible. How is endo holding up? I've already started writing that paper.

Endo gi never really fills up so you should be fine there. Nor does embryo or biochem. So worse comes to worst you could always take histo and embryo or endo/gi. Alot of people are auditing classes this spring for some reason.

Why are they auditing? That seems like a waste of time. Well then I will try and do Histo, Endo, and Embryo. I don't think those conflict...

When do you guys think would be the best time to call Dr. Baldwin about my application?

There is a line of students waiting to see him for class overrides and stuff and he is not going to be here on Monday so I would call today. If he gets behind your looking at December before you here back anything.

Why are they auditing? That seems like a waste of time. Well then I will try and do Histo, Endo, and Embryo. I don't think those conflict...

Not really. The point of the program is to get into medical school and improve your grades right? Well alot of people are auditing med phys and neuro while taking all the side credit classes then when they are ready they take med phys and neuro and gross or histo and they are done. Finish things in about 3 to four semesters.

Omg i got accepted!!!!!!! Yay!