Mississippi College Masters of Medical Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Omg i got accepted!!!!!!! Yay!

I guess you called.... Did you happen to get your alternate pin so you can regester?... If not email Baldwin now and get that. See you next semester girl;)

Members don't see this ad.

Baldwin said that my pin would be emailed to me next week probably. (And yes, I did call!) So how do you get funding for this program...loans? And how easy are those loans to get?

Not really. The point of the program is to get into medical school and improve your grades right? Well alot of people are auditing med phys and neuro while taking all the side credit classes then when they are ready they take med phys and neuro and gross or histo and they are done. Finish things in about 3 to four semesters.

Like, auditing on their transcripts? I believe Dr. Baldwin mentioned that med school's look at audits like failing grades because most people audit/withdrawal classes to not get a failing grade. Doubt most people have the discipline to study for a class they won't be getting a grade in, especially if they have side classes that need attention.

Members don't see this ad :)
Baldwin said that my pin would be emailed to me next week probably. (And yes, I did call!) So how do you get funding for this program...loans? And how easy are those loans to get?

You can get loans but you will need extra for living costs from private loans/banks. Fairly easy to get loans for tuition.

and congrats on your acceptance!

You can get everything you need from FAFSA based loans. You will need one direct and one graduate plus loan. Don't go to a bank. I get everything I need from Fin aid.

Awesome! You guys have been so helpful! I appreciate it! I will probably set up an appointment with fin aid after I get registered for classes.

Like, auditing on their transcripts? I believe Dr. Baldwin mentioned that med school's look at audits like failing grades because most people audit/withdrawal classes to not get a failing grade. Doubt most people have the discipline to study for a class they won't be getting a grade in, especially if they have side classes that need attention.

If he said that (which I doubt because he is the biggest, unsure how you will do you should audit that kind of guy) he is wrong. Med school look at one thing as failing grades and well that is failing grades. This fall there were a few auditors in the beginning of class for med phys and now they are taking it for real in the spring. I also noticed they were the ones trying to sneak test answer on the days we would go over tests.... Hmmmm maybe they are on to something there. Keep in mind most school will only allow you to audit a class if you declare in from the beginning when you sign up for it. MC is the only school I have even seen that lets people audit a class after it has begun. So most med schools will see an audit for what it is, a person taking a class to better their understanding of the subject without having to deal with GPA issues. Withdraws are a different story, although medical school don't look at these like are failing grades either but do see them as reflections of a student being over whelmed. Be careful with what Baldwin or anybody says, we all have our bias and his is known for being biased towards this program and UMC. He also told people to not bother buying a new suit for medical school interviews and that just a tie and collared shirt will do. Yep there sure were people that interviewed at UMC in kaks and white shirt and a tie and got in but if they pulled that stuff any place else they would be well under dressed. ( You could tell the ones that were interviewing in class, not only that people brag like mad if they get an interview at UMC)

I can't login to banner...says it's too busy :/

If he said that (which I doubt because he is the biggest, unsure how you will do you should audit that kind of guy) he is wrong. Med school look at one thing as failing grades and well that is failing grades. This fall there were a few auditors in the beginning of class for med phys and now they are taking it for real in the spring. I also noticed they were the ones trying to sneak test answer on the days we would go over tests.... Hmmmm maybe they are on to something there. Keep in mind most school will only allow you to audit a class if you declare in from the beginning when you sign up for it. MC is the only school I have even seen that lets people audit a class after it has begun. So most med schools will see an audit for what it is, a person taking a class to better their understanding of the subject without having to deal with GPA issues. Withdraws are a different story, although medical school don't look at these like are failing grades either but do see them as reflections of a student being over whelmed. Be careful with what Baldwin or anybody says, we all have our bias and his is known for being biased towards this program and UMC. He also told people to not bother buying a new suit for medical school interviews and that just a tie and collared shirt will do. Yep there sure were people that interviewed at UMC in kaks and white shirt and a tie and got in but if they pulled that stuff any place else they would be well under dressed. ( You could tell the ones that were interviewing in class, not only that people brag like mad if they get an interview at UMC)

I actually questioned that, since my undergraduate class didn't allow to audit during mid-semester. Guess auditing really is a viable option without breaking your record. Why is MC so special? lol. Also why would you audit from the beginning if you know you can audit midway? If programs know that audits can be administered in lieu of withdrawal at this school, they will still see in the wrong light. At least LSU shreveport already knows, not like it matters to anyone who isn't a resident of LS.

From the auditing/withdrawal talks he has given in Neuro, he has mentioned only auditing/withdrawal if you failed the first two tests. Since people hold onto the belief you can mathematically pull off a C-B, they continue and usually show up with a F/D. Which at that point.. questions your ability to even finish the program.

What % of the class do you expect people to get A's in med phys this semester? The pool after the withdrawals.

I actually questioned that, since my undergraduate class didn't allow to audit during mid-semester. Guess auditing really is a viable option without breaking your record. Why is MC so special? lol. Also why would you audit from the beginning if you know you can audit midway? If programs know that audits can be administered in lieu of withdrawal at this school, they will still see in the wrong light. At least LSU shreveport already knows, not like it matters to anyone who isn't a resident of LS.

From the auditing/withdrawal talks he has given in Neuro, he has mentioned only auditing/withdrawal if you failed the first two tests. Since people hold onto the belief you can mathematically pull off a C-B, they continue and usually show up with a F/D. Which at that point.. questions your ability to even finish the program.

What % of the class do you expect people to get A's in med phys this semester? The pool after the withdrawals.

1% lol

I disagree this semesters class is doing pretty good. I had two solid As on the first test, however that just didn't happen for me on the third test. Many people that are still in the class are still on the A - B boarder line. All I need in an 82 on the last test and I get my A. I think about 12% of the class will get As.

I disagree this semesters class is doing pretty good. I had two solid As on the first test, however that just didn't happen for me on the third test. Many people that are still in the class are still on the A - B boarder line. All I need in an 82 on the last test and I get my A. I think about 12% of the class will get As.

don't forget about the cardio minitest. i got 94-96 on the first three tests and wound up with a 60 on that thing! and contrary to what most people will probably tell you, he DOES count it, so be prepared!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
So what do you guys think will be left in the way of 5 credit hour courses come Nov. 19th?

don't forget about the cardio minitest. i got 94-96 on the first three tests and wound up with a 60 on that thing! and contrary to what most people will probably tell you, he DOES count it, so be prepared!!!
Oh I know he counts it but for how much does he count it? Today he said it was worth 10% and last week he said 8%. That test is worth more then the first test we took. WTF?

Histology.... Maybe Neuroanatomy.... MAybe....:shifty:

Depending on the fluctuation and a little bit of luck sprinkled, histo for sure, med/phys and neuro if your lucky and monitor the list 24/7 during first week of school lol

Oh I know he counts it but for how much does he count it? Today he said it was worth 10% and last week he said 8%. That test is worth more then the first test we took. WTF?

I can't remember what he actually weighted it, but yea its ******ed that that thing is worth as much/more than the first ACTUAL TEST!

I can't remember what he actually weighted it, but yea its ******ed that that thing is worth as much/more than the first ACTUAL TEST!

And it is not even cumulative. We also only had like 6 quizes this semester. I mean not that I am complaining but geez when you say at least 8 quizzes give at least 8 quizzes.

Just found out Mississippi doesn't have Publix supermarkets. I am very sad now.

*sigh* I guess that will do haha, I'll miss my publix though! They always have the weird ingredients!

I was hoping someone could clarify the establishment of residency.

It appears that all that is necessary is living in MS for 12mo and relinquish ones other residency. If this is true, couldn't this be done, say by doing the program in 1.5 yrs? Thus able to apply to UMC as a resident?

I ask this as I am interested in going to UMC for dental school.

Has anyone known any out of state people who established it and went to UMC for dental school?

I was hoping someone could clarify the establishment of residency.

It appears that all that is necessary is living in MS for 12mo and relinquish ones other residency. If this is true, couldn't this be done, say by doing the program in 1.5 yrs? Thus able to apply to UMC as a resident?

I ask this as I am interested in going to UMC for dental school.

Has anyone known any out of state people who established it and went to UMC for dental school?

I don't know for UMC Dental school but as for UMC medical school, unless you have substantial proof that you will stay within Mississippi boundaries post-graduation, you will not get in. Most people have to wait 2-3 years after graduating MC to matriculate. Others who have gotten in are those who have family, wife/husband in the area with a permanent address. Do not bank in getting into UMC by staying here only 1-2 years.

Don't let that discourage you however, there are other schools within the southern area that has good ties with MC.

I don't know for UMC Dental school but as for UMC medical school, unless you have substantial proof that you will stay within Mississippi boundaries post-graduation, you will not get in. Most people have to wait 2-3 years after graduating MC to matriculate. Others who have gotten in are those who have family, wife/husband in the area with a permanent address. Do not bank in getting into UMC by staying here only 1-2 years.

Don't let that discourage you however, there are other schools within the southern area that has good ties with MC.

Bah...humbug.... Once you can prove you have instate residency you can get into UMC and most do. Mississippi doesn't have crap for residency programs after graduation from UMC so they know most have to go out of state. There are a few bias for UMC but I bet most applicants do fit them. Of those that have applied to UMC for medical school I have only heard of one person getting waitlisted so far. Unless you told UMC straight up " um gee I am just using you to get a medical degree then I am going to kick rocks" they will never know that you have not been living here for 4 or 5 years. When you qualify for instate status you can apply, otherwise the application systems wont even let you apply.
So yes if you spend a year here in MS, hold permanent residency, and can prove it( Hard to do in one year), you qualify. Just don't tell them you have only lived here a year.

While yes there are other school that have good ties to MC, They are UMC, William Carry and LSU. Some people are under the mistaken impression ( I was) that MC has a strong link or good ties to Florida schools. It doesn't. FSU maybe the closest to having any kind of ties. Most people in this program are either trying to get into UMC, LSU or William Carry. Rarely those with pretty good Undergraduate grades and solid MCAT scores get into medical schools in other states. Dental peeps on the other hand do fair much better and commonly get into their home state programs.

Bah...humbug.... Once you can prove you have instate residency you can get into UMC and most do. Mississippi doesn't have crap for residency programs after graduation from UMC so they know most have to go out of state. There are a few bias for UMC but I bet most applicants do fit them. Of those that have applied to UMC for medical school I have only heard of one person getting waitlisted so far. Unless you told UMC straight up " um gee I am just using you to get a medical degree then I am going to kick rocks" they will never know that you have not been living here for 4 or 5 years. When you qualify for instate status you can apply, otherwise the application systems wont even let you apply.
So yes if you spend a year here in MS, hold permanent residency, and can prove it( Hard to do in one year), you qualify. Just don't tell them you have only lived here a year.

While yes there are other school that have good ties to MC, They are UMC, William Carry and LSU. Some people are under the mistaken impression ( I was) that MC has a strong link or good ties to Florida schools. It doesn't. FSU maybe the closest to having any kind of ties. Most people in this program are either trying to get into UMC, LSU or William Carry. Rarely those with pretty good Undergraduate grades and solid MCAT scores get into medical schools in other states. Dental peeps on the other hand do fair much better and commonly get into their home state programs.

Hrm do you have contact with someone that got into UMC within 1-2 years from OOS? I'd love to talk to them about a few things

What you mentioned is complete opposite of what everyone else has told me =/

I will see if I can get his info for you... He is a pretty helpful guy. I know him from undergrad so I will talk to him although i dont think he is an sdner. If you really think about it though UMC has to use the same methods to confirm instateness as any other school. They have to use what AMCAS sends them and they can do a background check before matriculation. Ask yourself after a school has already accepted you do you honestly think they could make the call well gee he was only here for two years now guess we have to recend our offer...reaallly now? I know there are a few persons that are trying to thin out the competition and I hope you didnt fall for that. Most people come here to either get into UMC or william carry. Out of staters can apply after the gap year if they can prove instate status. Now of course if they can tell you are a yank that may get them to ask questions at the interview but from what I have heard the interview seems to be more about why MC and an ethical situation. I bet if you applied you would be surprised.

I will see if I can get his info for you... He is a pretty helpful guy. I know him from undergrad so I will talk to him although i dont think he is an sdner. If you really think about it though UMC has to use the same methods to confirm instateness as any other school. They have to use what AMCAS sends them and they can do a background check before matriculation. Ask yourself after a school has already accepted you do you honestly think they could make the call well gee he was only here for two years now guess we have to recend our offer...reaallly now? I know there are a few persons that are trying to thin out the competition and I hope you didnt fall for that. Most people come here to either get into UMC or william carry. Out of staters can apply after the gap year if they can prove instate status. Now of course if they can tell you are a yank that may get them to ask questions at the interview but from what I have heard the interview seems to be more about why MC and an ethical situation. I bet if you applied you would be surprised.

Well, they would see that I have not been in the state for very long from my academic history. I'm just wondering what is required to prove your state status. Would residency address be enough? or would I have to switch out everything including driver's license, license plate, etc.

It's on u of miss COM's website under admission requirements. But yes, you would have to switch EVERYTHING over: license, registrating, voting, address, etc.

On another note, for the Endo paper, do you guys think she would let me use a couple of textbooks as cited material? It wouldn't be my primary sources but it would be for background info on my topic.

If anybody is looking for a roommate please let me know. I will be moving in January from Minnesota. Male, 23 years old. Hoping to find rent for no more than $400

check the FB page, Matthew Harrell is looking for a roommate...it would be in the Reserve, which means your rent might be a little more than $400/mth

check the FB page, Matthew Harrell is looking for a roommate...it would be in the Reserve, which means your rent might be a little more than $400/mth

I am checking over there. I talked to Matthew already and it would be about $600 a month. I am just expanding my search. :)

It's on u of miss COM's website under admission requirements. But yes, you would have to switch EVERYTHING over: license, registrating, voting, address, etc.

On another note, for the Endo paper, do you guys think she would let me use a couple of textbooks as cited material? It wouldn't be my primary sources but it would be for background info on my topic.

Sure... Peeps do it all the time just make sure the majority is primary

Just found out that Brandon isn't making grad students write a research paper for endo...just talked to her by email.

Just found out that Brandon isn't making grad students write a research paper for endo...just talked to her by email.

lol nice! not like it would matter -_- have to write one for med phys haha

lol nice! not like it would matter -_- have to write one for med phys haha

Ugh, I'm super envious! I wish I could get in on that med phys class! But yeah, I already had the endo paper half written, now I have to decide which 5 credit classes I want to use it on! :)

Ok guys, I'm having an internal debate. Would taking histo, cell phys, endo, and embryo be too much or should I just leave out embryo and have a light first semester?

Ok guys, I'm having an internal debate. Would taking histo, cell phys, endo, and embryo be too much or should I just leave out embryo and have a light first semester?

4 classes is WAY too much. I'm not bs'ing you when I say cell phys is difficult because of the teacher. I'm pretty sure only a handful of people are going to get A's in cell phys out of the 50-60 in the class this semester.

Histo and endo/gi is a big load in itself. I've heard endo/gi is more memorization than conceptual so that is two big memorization classes. However, the 3rd and 4th test is basically endo/gi so it might work out. Embryo is another medium/tough class, but luckily, the tests are not cumulative.

I would go easy your first semester, partially due to the histo teacher. I've been hearing mixed signals from people taking Reiken's histo class. If you're set on taking histo and endo/gi together, I would take it with cell phys. 11 credits is a decent load.

That's the conclusion I came to! I think in the Fall I'll do Gross and Embryo and grad seminar and then in the Spring I'll take med phys and neuro and neuro seminar. Does that sound reasonable?

Just registered for spring semester.
Histo (5), Immunology (3), Biochem Metabolsim (3), Seminar (2)

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

Yay! I got med phys, endo, and embryo this semester! Woot!

Yay! I got med phys, endo, and embryo this semester! Woot!

Congrats. Baldwin opened more seats for you guys. Be ready embryo is a good start to understanding Dunigan's way of doing things too. I think you will be just fine. Best of luck.

You think it's a doable first semester? Plus, what would be good to pair with histology? I do want to take that class but not sure if it will be better with Gross or Neuro.

Hi everyone,

Im registering for classes and was wondering what you guys thought about it. I can take physio and endo with biochem and take pharmacology during the summer or I can take neuro and a bunch of other bio classes and leave 2, 5 hour classes for fall.

Also what are some of the easier classes that you guys recommend for my first semester?

Thanks

You think it's a doable first semester? Plus, what would be good to pair with histology? I do want to take that class but not sure if it will be better with Gross or Neuro.

I would not put it with gross; I'm taking histo/neuro this semester and it is very doable. I blame Baldwin for making neuro WAY more interesting than histo. I feel like scraping my skin off every time I have to study histo lol.

Just registered for spring semester.
Histo (5), Immunology (3), Biochem Metabolsim (3), Seminar (2)

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

Very doable semester. Although if it was me, I would put off seminar until next semester or do it during may semester. Seminar is really not intensive so it doesn't really matter though.