Mississippi State c/o 2016 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drwildlife

SGU Class of 2017?
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Future (possible) bulldogs, representtt! :cool:

Just curious - how many of you guys that are applying to MState have visited their campus?

Members don't see this ad.

I have applied to MSU but I have not been to do a formal tour. Although, I have seen the large animal hospital after taking my own horse there before. From the research I have done it is one of my top choices.

I have not done a formal tour either. However, I did go to the Pre-Vet Symposium last year and toured the campus/hospital that way. It is really beautiful. I love everything about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't been to the campus yet although I was planning a visit sometime this fall...

Let me know if you guys have any questions!!!

Main campus is GORGEOUS.....all green and brick. It's huge! The vet school is just off campus (but still considered to be main campus, I think). They have been renovating the outside and some of the inside, as well as adding additional parking and it looks great. There's a lot of windows, so it's always bright. And the hospital is really nice too, IMO.

I am applying again this year!:) I really like the campus and I thought the hospital was great too! They give you a tour the night before your interview at a pizza party. I thought the school handles the interview process great! Everyone is so friendly and makes you feel very welcomed. Hope this year is my year, I was waitlisted last year!:luck::xf:

So for those of you that are there/already visited, what is the surrounding area like outside of Starkville? I've gathered that it's fairly rural, but is it...well...pretty? Lol. If by chance I get in, my fiancee is obviously moving with me and we're thinking about where we might live once we get there. Ideally I'd like to live outside of town...but of course it all depends on what you get for your $$.

I think it's pretty! It's mostly farmland, but there are some lakes too, trees, green stuff :) There is a wide variety of where people live and how far away from campus. There seems to be a lot of choice depending on your needs. We have classmates that bought, classmates that rent, people in apartment complexes, people in houses, people in trailers, people with families, people with horses....there seems to be a lot of variety. I'm in a complex less than five minutes from campus and I like it.

I loved Starkville. It felt like a good mix of "city" and countryside. The people there are extremely friendly. A lot of places are also within walking distance.

On a side note, have any of you received confirmation emails from them?

I did receive a confirmation email from Missy saying they had received my VMCAS app. I called them however about my other materials, and was told my file is "complete". Haven't received any other correspondence though.

Noxubee National Wildlife Refuge is about a 35 minute drive from the vet school, it's really awesome and a nice place to go to relax...

Being from a big city (New York City), Starkville itself is a little boring for me, but it's definitely not terrible. There are actually more food options than I originally though. We have a Peruvian restaurant (run by this Peruvian lady from Lima, her son goes to MSU), as well as a Thai restaurant, etc.

Rent's pretty cheap... in town and even cheaper outside of town...

If anyone else has questions feel free to ask away, though I don't check SDN that often (I used to check it religiously when I was applying!)

So for those of you that are there/already visited, what is the surrounding area like outside of Starkville? I've gathered that it's fairly rural, but is it...well...pretty? Lol. If by chance I get in, my fiancee is obviously moving with me and we're thinking about where we might live once we get there. Ideally I'd like to live outside of town...but of course it all depends on what you get for your $$.

I am applying again this year!:) I really like the campus and I thought the hospital was great too! They give you a tour the night before your interview at a pizza party. I thought the school handles the interview process great! Everyone is so friendly and makes you feel very welcomed. Hope this year is my year, I was waitlisted last year!:luck::xf:

This is DEFINITELY your year!! I was keeping my fingers crossed for you during the WL process this last cycle... Hope to see you during interviews (I'll be one of the ones giving tours the night before interviews) and in the Fall semester as a first year!

I am applying again this year after being waitlisted last year. Hopefully, this will be my year. Can't wait for interview invites, etc to start coming out. Until then.....:scared:------> :boom:

Members don't see this ad :)
I did receive a confirmation email from Missy saying they had received my VMCAS app. I called them however about my other materials, and was told my file is "complete". Haven't received any other correspondence though.

Hmm..I never received any confirmation emails. Wonder if I should contact her or wait it out? I hate being impatient but, when it comes to things like this...I can't help it :scared:

When did you submit your VMCAS? It was exactly one week after submitting that I got that email from Missy.

When did you submit your VMCAS? It was exactly one week after submitting that I got that email from Missy.

Last year, some people got their confirmation emails fairly quickly, others did not.

I was in Kim's office last Thursday (she's sort of the second Missy) and she was still sorting through files that came in and as of last Thursday only 360 applications had been submitted. She expected based on previous years numbers that another roughly 500 would be submitted by the time the Oct. 1 deadline hit. (Last year, when I applied, there were roughly 860 applicants).

So i imagine it's going to take a while for them to get all those files together and notices sent out for anyone who submitted close to the Oct. 1 deadline

Only 360 had been submitted as of last Thursday? I mean, I know there's a LOT of procrastinators out there (I'm usually one of them!), but is that common? Missy told me a few months back that last year's pool had 905 applications....if this year's #s are to be comparable, that means another 500+ had to have been submitted in 48 hours? Wow... I wouldn't want her job!

Only 360 had been submitted as of last Thursday? I mean, I know there's a LOT of procrastinators out there (I'm usually one of them!), but is that common? Missy told me a few months back that last year's pool had 905 applications....if this year's #s are to be comparable, that means another 500+ had to have been submitted in 48 hours? Wow... I wouldn't want her job!

Oh! I didn't realise we had over 900 last year.

And yup, I asked Kim if that was typical and she told me it happens every year...over half don't get submitted until the very last day.

Just wondering if anyone has gotten a second email yet (other than the first confirmation email) confirming that your application is/is not complete?

I haven't had any communication since the first of October when Kim verbally confirmed that my file was complete. Last email I received from Missy stated that they had received my application from VMCAS.

How many applicants does MSU-CVM normally have?
Our typical applicant pool has just over 400 candidates. The Mississippi pool usually has 70-80 applicants, with the remaining applicants being at-large. http://www.cvm.msstate.edu/academics/faq_about_admission.html

So I guess this info is wrong huh?

Speak of the devil, just got a "November Update" email from Missy. It just stated what the timeline is for now, that they plan to send out interview invites by email in mid to late December, and that interviews are in February.

Speak of the devil, just got a "November Update" email from Missy. It just stated what the timeline is for now, that they plan to send out interview invites by email in mid to late December, and that interviews are in February.

Beat me to the post! haha. When I saw the email from Missy, I got really excited. When I saw it was just a reminder, I sighed a little. :(

Beat me to the post! haha. When I saw the email from Missy, I got really excited. When I saw it was just a reminder, I sighed a little. :(

Got the same email too :thumbup: Good to have a clearer view of the process and know in dates for interviews in advance (i.e. think twice before scheduling yourself elsewhere if you're gunning for an interview). Also late December into early-January shaping up to be emotional rollercoaster for vet admissions. Yippee?

How many applicants does MSU-CVM normally have?
Our typical applicant pool has just over 400 candidates. The Mississippi pool usually has 70-80 applicants, with the remaining applicants being at-large. http://www.cvm.msstate.edu/academics/faq_about_admission.html

So I guess this info is wrong huh?

Yes, that information is out of date. There was close to 1,000 out of state (at-large) applicants in my class (last year). The year before they had about 940 out of state applicants.

For this year, two weeks after the application deadline, Kim told me they had processed a little over 900 out of state applications but were not done. I don't know what the final number ended up being. I can ask her next week if you guys want.

I do know that there are 40 at-large (out of state) seats.

If this year is anything like last year or the year before, then they'll probably send interview invites on Dec. 16th.

For this year, two weeks after the application deadline, Kim told me they had processed a little over 900 out of state applications but were not done. I don't know what the final number ended up being. I can ask her next week if you guys want.

I do know that there are 40 at-large (out of state) seats.

Do you mind asking about the Arkansas students? Dr. Meiring had mentioned Arkansas students at Mississippi being considered about the same as LSU's policy possibly this year (aka looked at in their own pool/with in-state). But, I'm not for sure.

Do you mind asking about the Arkansas students? Dr. Meiring had mentioned Arkansas students at Mississippi being considered about the same as LSU's policy possibly this year (aka looked at in their own pool/with in-state). But, I'm not for sure.

Sure thing, i'll ask on Monday and let you know what they say.

I applied this year, and I toured the school about two years ago. The campus and school is really nice. My friend toured it a few weeks ago, and she loved it. All the staff is really nice. I've met with Dr. Meiring a few times, and every time he has been a great help. I can't wait to visit the school again in February for a tour and hopefully an interview.

Here's the breakdown:

40 In-state
5 West Virginia contract
5 South Carolina contract
35 Out-of-State

They are currently negotiating Arkansas contract seats but it has not been finalized so are not available for this application cycle.

Got an email today saying my file is complete, interview invites will be sent via email at the end of December, and interviews will be held Feb 6-8 and Feb 13-15!

Yep. Got it too.

Can I start checking my email obsessively yet? Oh wait, I already do. Lol. *bites fingernails*

Yep. Got it too.

Can I start checking my email obsessively yet? Oh wait, I already do. Lol. *bites fingernails*

Ughh I've been biting my hangnails... which arn't even hangnails, but since I bite them compulsively now they're becoming hangnail-esce

They sent this same email out earlier this month. I got all excited when I opened my email. =/

They sent this same email out earlier this month. I got all excited when I opened my email. =/

I got nervous! I read a post the other day where someone was saying how their rejection letter came in an email titled "application status update" or something like that... I saw this and i was like.. Oh god.. Oh god.. OH GOD :laugh:

I got nervous! I read a post the other day where someone was saying how their rejection letter came in an email titled "application status update" or something like that... I saw this and i was like.. Oh god.. Oh god.. OH GOD :laugh:

That was me exactly. I'm pretty sure I stopped breathing for a good while. Whew.

Just received another update! Everyone should check their emails.

They said we would hear about before the holidays. This could be either a good or bad thing, hah. A great present would be getting an interview invite.

Last year I got my "December update" on 12/7 and then I got my interview invitation on 12/17 - which I think was the first (only?) day. I don't know if that helps or makes you guys more nervous!

Today was our last day of finals! It's been a WONDERFUL first semester at MSU. Beyond my expectations. I hope you guys get to enjoy it here next year!

If you have any questions, just let me know :)

Last year I got my "December update" on 12/7 and then I got my interview invitation on 12/17 - which I think was the first (only?) day. I don't know if that helps or makes you guys more nervous!

Today was our last day of finals! It's been a WONDERFUL first semester at MSU. Beyond my expectations. I hope you guys get to enjoy it here next year!

If you have any questions, just let me know :)

Ohhh! Awesome! That's not very far away at all and will be a nice little end to my finals week. I'm excited about it. I love the campus and love the veterinary school plus all the people that work there.

Do you live on campus or off campus?

Anyone else get super freaked out when they find an email from MSU?

I can't believe we will all be notified about our status in less than two weeks. It's been a long wait since applications were due. I can't wait for the notifications, but then again, it would probably be better if I didn't get it until after finals that way I can concentrate on studying rather than the notification. :p

Do you live on campus or off campus?

Off-campus! But close - there are a lot of places that are 5 - 15 min from the vet school. Plus, since the vet school is just off-campus (but still considered part of Main Campus), you can take back roads to get there and stay off Route 12 and not be in traffic.

Oh! I also just checked my interview invite again, and I didn't get it until 7pm (EST). When I got called for my acceptance, it wasn't until around 6 pm (EST) too.

Thought that might be good for you guys to know too!

Is today the day...?

I asked Wendy last Friday about this. She said the committee was meeting to finalize the list today in the morning. So...if the past two years are an indicator of anything...you guys should get your interview invites this evening! Of course, they could change the way they do things... Good luck everyone!

I asked Wendy last Friday about this. She said the committee was meeting to finalize the list today in the morning. So...if the past two years are an indicator of anything...you guys should get your interview invites this evening! Of course, they could change the way they do things... Good luck everyone!

Ohhh mannn, just made me really nervous. Anxiously awaiting.

Oh lord. My phone battery is going to die from checking my email so much.

I'm thinking/hoping it will be today. I got an e-mail from them yesterday about essays pertaining to the dual-degree program.