Mississippi State c/o 2016 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm thinking/hoping it will be today. I got an e-mail from them yesterday about essays pertaining to the dual-degree program.

So if you applied to the dual-degree program and did not get this email is that a problem I wonder?

Members don't see this ad.

So if you applied to the dual-degree program and did not get this email is that a problem I wonder?
I don't know. The essays are due in January. I had been told that the graduate school waits to send out interview invites for the dual-degree program until they know who is getting an interview for the veterinary school (and the interviews are the same day), but I don't know if it's the same for the essays.

Sooooo. I was totally just browsing around my SDN threads and what is this about interview invites being sent TODAY?! It's 3:50pm here in Cali, and no word.. anyone hear back?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sooooo. I was totally just browsing around my SDN threads and what is this about interview invites being sent TODAY?! It's 3:50pm here in Cali, and no word.. anyone hear back?
Your post just reminded me. Mississippi is in a different time zone than I am. It's now almost 7 where I am sitting, so that means it is almost 6 in Mississippi. :p It's still possible they could send out e-mails tonight.

Anyone heard anything yet...?

Your post just reminded me. Mississippi is in a different time zone than I am. It's now almost 7 where I am sitting, so that means it is almost 6 in Mississippi. :p It's still possible they could send out e-mails tonight.

Mm.. you're right.. but I was under the impression that people only work till 5pm.. so it may be sent out early next week sometime.. but hopefully we hear (good news) back tonight! :)

Mm.. you're right.. but I was under the impression that people only work till 5pm.. so it may be sent out early next week sometime.. but hopefully we hear (good news) back tonight! :)

Missy usually works pretty late... last year, I got my interview invite at 7:20pm Eastern time (6:20 Central time)...I hope you guys find out soon!

I guess today is not the day....it's 6:50pm in Mississippi.

I'm guessing no one has heard anything yet. Do you think tomorrow will be the day? I guess we would have to hear by Tuesday if the office is closed for winter break starting the 21st, and they told us we should know before they closed for break.

I'm really hoping tomorrow will be the day! I'm just ready to find out if I got an interview or rejection yet so I can stop worrying :p

I'm the same way; I just want to hear SOMETHING.

Just got off work. :p If we hear anything today, I'll probably be sleeping when the e-mail is sent. :laugh: Good luck everyone!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got off work. :p If we hear anything today, I'll probably be sleeping when the e-mail is sent. :laugh: Good luck everyone!!!

Just woke up to the dreaded email....:(

Good luck everyone!

Just got my invite!! Check your email!! So excited

I haven't gotten anything yet....

Last edited:
Just got my interview invite! HOOORRAAYYY!

Just got invited. Anyone else from south florida/ florida in general?

Invited for an interview on the 14th. :)

Just got my interview date. It's on a weekday. Aren't most of you, like I am, taking classes this Spring? I'm not sure how I am going to work this is out. Because I'm flying from the west coast it will be at least a 3 day trip. Do any of you have an interview/interviews during the week? Hopefully I won't miss anything important...

Just got my interview date. It's on a weekday. Aren't most of you, like I am, taking classes this Spring? I'm not sure how I am going to work this is out. Because I'm flying from the west coast it will be at least a 3 day trip. Do any of you have an interview/interviews during the week? Hopefully I won't miss anything important...

Mine is on a weekday too. Fortunately, there are several other people in my classes in the Spring who also applied to veterinary school, and my professors all understand how important the interviews are to us. I've already warned some of my professors that I may be missing for interviews (and one still told me she would take off attendance points unless its a university excused absence), but I also know all my professors for next semester really well.

My advice to you would be to talk to your professors and let them know well in advance. I'm sure that they should all understand.

As for my interview invite, I woke before my alarm and was going to check the messages on my phone and go back to sleep. It ended with me rushing out the door for a doctor's appointment because the time I originally had wouldn't work for them anymore, and they had to reschedule for a different day unless I could get there right away. It was in the waiting room that I got my e-mail, read it while I was being checked-in, and the nurse was the first to know. :laugh:

Definitely talk to your professors. I'm sure they'd be understanding. In my opinion vet school interviews definitely reason to miss a couple of days. Congrats!

Congrats everyone who was invited for an interview!! Look forward to meeting some of you in February!!!

I'm in the same boat--Tuesday interviews are really hard on school! I'm trying to make it where I only miss two days of school but it's proving to be really difficult unless I miss the monday night pizza/tour thing. Does anyone know if they will give another tour on the actual interview day? I know it said the pizza dinner was optional but it seems kind of silly to go to a school for an interview and not get a tour-I would feel like I know nothing about the school even after interviewing!

Does anyone know if they will give another tour on the actual interview day? I know it said the pizza dinner was optional but it seems kind of silly to go to a school for an interview and not get a tour-I would feel like I know nothing about the school even after interviewing!

As far as I know, there aren't tours during the day. Interviews are conducted during the day and pizza party/tours are in the evening. Unless you're on the last interview day, there should be another pizza party/tour event going on after interviews but those are for people interviewing the next day... I'm not sure if you can schedule a private tour (which people do throughout the year) since us envoys will be busy with classes during the day, as well as helping out throughout the interview times during the day. Luckily though, I just looked at our schedule and at least for first years, we actually don't have an exam that week (yay!).

Last edited:
Got invited for an interview on 12/20 by e-mail for 2/13/2012, and already declined the offer, so hopefully someone else gets my spot ;)

Hey everyone! Those of you who have interviews for 2/13, do you know what time you're flying in and at which hotels you're staying at? Might be nice to split a cab going to and from the airport and the school :)

Hey guys! I plan on attending the interview for 2/13 - flying in from the east coast (still setting up those plans - not sure if I will be traveling with anyone)... What are good hotels in the area to stay for the weekend? Figure I might as well make it a mini-vacation from the northeast cold :)

Hey guys! I plan on attending the interview for 2/13 - flying in from the east coast (still setting up those plans - not sure if I will be traveling with anyone)... What are good hotels in the area to stay for the weekend? Figure I might as well make it a mini-vacation from the northeast cold :)
The best hotels in Starkville are the Hilton, Hampton Inn, and Holiday Inn express. The Hilton is a little out of town, but only takes about 5 min. The Hampton Inn is right next to MSU, and the Holiday Inn express is on the Highway 12 (which is the main road in Starkville). There is also a Microtel that is pretty cheap to stay at and I have had family stay there and they say it is nice. I would avoid the Days Inn, and any hotel on Martin Luther King Dr, with the exception of the microtel. Let me know if you have any other questions, I currently live in Starkville.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I currently live in Starkville.

Thank you so much! You rock... When we called the hotel, they mentioned something about "safety"?!?!

My mother and I were a bit put off by the receptionist's statement that the Hilton is the safest (unprovoked.. kind of the first words out of her mouth)... is Starkville dangerous?

Thank you so much! You rock... When we called the hotel, they mentioned something about "safety"?!?!

My mother and I were a bit put off by the receptionist's statement that the Hilton is the safest (unprovoked.. kind of the first words out of her mouth)... is Starkville dangerous?

I've been to Starkville before and I didn't find it dangerous. I actually really liked the place!

The hilton is definitely the nicest hotel in town. My mom and I stayed there last year and it was very nice compared to the other hotels, but I wouldn't feel unsafe in any of the ones I mentioned. Starkville is not unsafe in my opinion. There are parts of town that I would not go to at night but that is just like any other town. It is a cozy college town with very little crime.

Starkville is definitely not dangerous at all. I've been here since June (this is my first year at the vet school, we started school June 27th). It's a nice small college town. I don't think I've ever been to an area where I felt uncomfortable/not safe. . . but then again I grew up in NYC.

If you have any questions/concerns/anything feel free to ask.

Thank you everyone! I feel much more comfortable now about the trip... and I really look forward to visiting the quaint south! I didn't think it was unsafe at all, but I just found it strange when the receptionist said that...

I can't wait!! Hopefully the deep freeze won't be taking over in February!

The best hotels in Starkville are the Hilton, Hampton Inn, and Holiday Inn express. The Hilton is a little out of town, but only takes about 5 min. The Hampton Inn is right next to MSU, and the Holiday Inn express is on the Highway 12 (which is the main road in Starkville). There is also a Microtel that is pretty cheap to stay at and I have had family stay there and they say it is nice. I would avoid the Days Inn, and any hotel on Martin Luther King Dr, with the exception of the microtel. Let me know if you have any other questions, I currently live in Starkville.

Why do you you say avoid Days in? Do they just have bad service there? Thats where I was actually thinking of staying...

Why do you you say avoid Days in? Do they just have bad service there? Thats where I was actually thinking of staying...
oxyjen was wanting the nicest places to stay in Starkville. The Days Inn is not nice. It would be fine to stay there but it is pretty run down. Its not unsafe or anything it is just not a nice hotel.

Hey guys! I called a few of the taxis in Mississippi today, and it looks like it's going to cost somewhere around $35 to get from the Golden Triangle Regional Airport to the hotels in Starkville. That said, I'd love to split a cab with anyone heading that way :)

I am willing to split a cab with someone. My interview is on the 13th, and I plan on getting in on the 12th. Just PM me if you'd be interested!

And Zebrastripe86, I am staying at the Days Inn. It was by far cheaper than anything else around, and it's only for two nights. As long as I don't go into my interview smelly because of my surroundings, I'm sure I'll be fine! Haha.

Last edited:
Hey all,

I declined my invitation to interview on the 13th so hopefully another OOS'er will snag my spot.

I've booked my flight and will be there on the 13th for the pizza party :) Now I'm in the same boat as everyone else, trying to find a hotel that won't scare the beejeezus out of me at night but won't make me go broke. Woot.

I'm excited!

Anyone else having trouble watching the video on the admissions page? It's taking forever to load.

Hey, all! I've been stalking this thread for a while & figured I may as well speak up. :) I have an interview on Feb. 15 and am super excited (not so excited for the 18 hour drive). Outta curiosity, are any of you guys bringing guests? I know in the email they said that guests were invited to the pizza party/tour, but I didn't know if this was actually commonly done.

I'll be bringing a parent. In past interviews at other schools, it has seemed like at least 50% if not closer to 75% of interviewees brought a guest, mostly parents but some spouses/gf/bfs. Most only brought one, but some had both parents.

Hey, all! I've been stalking this thread for a while & figured I may as well speak up. :) I have an interview on Feb. 15 and am super excited (not so excited for the 18 hour drive). Outta curiosity, are any of you guys bringing guests? I know in the email they said that guests were invited to the pizza party/tour, but I didn't know if this was actually commonly done.
I am! I'm taking my boyfriend with me. He may follow me if I was accepted, so I want him to see the school and surrounding area. I also personally know a few people interviewing who will be taking guests as well.

Hey! Congrats on the interview! I'm excited to have all you guys come :)

Last year, I didn't bring anyone but a LOT (if not most) everyone else did. And I have brought my mom to different interviews. It is NOT unusual at all and can actually be very comforting!