MPH 2019: Applied, Waitlisted, Accepted!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh i'll be taking out waaaaaaay more than that!
Is it crazy to take out $30,000 in loans each year for an MPH program? Is that doable? How much money do people accumulate in loans? Having a lot of trouble figuring out what's doable v. what is crazy.

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Happy to announce that I'll be attending UNC this fall :)

It was a super tough decision but it just feels right. Props to the user who posted the Deepak Chopra quote, which helped me refocus quite a bit.

Thank you all SO much for all of the guidance and support throughout this whole process. The first thing my partner said when I told him I was committing to UNC was, "Are you gonna let your forum friends know?" DUH! So excited to call you all my future colleagues.

Edited to add: I also received a $10k Rollins Incentive Award. Hope it's reallocated appropriately to those really wanting to go to Emory!

Reactions: 14 users
Happy to announce that I'll be attending UNC this fall :)

It was a super tough decision but it just feels right. Props to the user who posted the Deepak Chopra quote, which helped me refocus quite a bit.

Thank you all SO much for all of the guidance and support throughout this whole process. The first thing my partner said when I told him I was committing to UNC was, "Are you gonna let your forum friends know?" DUH! So excited to call you all my future colleagues.

Edited to add: I also received a $10k Rollins Incentive Award. Hope it's reallocated appropriately to those really wanting to go to Emory!
Congrats on the relief of making a decision! May I ask--did you already receive your full financial aid package from UNC? I am almost ready to choose UNC too, but I can't without having seen the final numbers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on the relief of making a decision! May I ask--did you already receive your full financial aid package from UNC? I am almost ready to choose UNC too, but I can't without having seen the final numbers.

No I haven't, and I know that's holding a lot of people back from officially committing. As a NC resident, I already know that UNC will be my cheapest option, even after taking scholarships and financial aid packages at other schools into consideration. A big part of why I just went ahead and pressed "Accept."

Have you spoken to anyone at Gillings about FA notification? My impression is that it's not a Gillings problem as much as it's a UNC-wide Office of Financial Aid problem...

Reactions: 1 users
No I haven't, and I know that's holding a lot of people back from officially committing. As a NC resident, I already know that UNC will be my cheapest option, even after taking scholarships and financial aid packages at other schools into consideration. A big part of why I just went ahead and pressed "Accept."

Have you spoken to anyone at Gillings about FA notification? My impression is that it's not a Gillings problem as much as it's a UNC-wide Office of Financial Aid problem...
I haven't. It's my assumption that it's a financial aid office hang up as well. I emailed the staff for my concentration yesterday--waiting on a reply. I am out of state, but it is still the cheapest, especially if I am able to swing in-state tuition next year. I found an amazing school for my son in Durham too, so it seems like the best decision for both of us. Hopefully we'll hear soon on financial aid.

I haven't. It's my assumption that it's a financial aid office hang up as well. I emailed the staff for my concentration yesterday--waiting on a reply. I am out of state, but it is still the cheapest, especially if I am able to swing in-state tuition next year. I found an amazing school for my son in Durham too, so it seems like the best decision for both of us. Hopefully we'll hear soon on financial aid.

That is so great! I live in Durham and have volunteered at many of the schools in the area through a CBO. Your son will be in amazing hands!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, I'll be there! Looks like it's gonna be ~60° and rainy.. probly something "business casual" (black pants, nice top or a simple dress with a blazer. Lol realizing I.. need to do laundry haha)
If you want to meet up or chat there I'm at 617-784-9358, going to be with the EHS/global dept.

So sorry I just saw this! I would’ve loved to meet up! What did you think of the day?

I'd like to ask if there is anyone who received the dean's merit award (half tuition) from Columbia.
Would you know if it is applicable for both the first and second year ?

I'd like to ask if there is anyone who received the dean's merit award (half tuition) from Columbia.
You get 50% off for both years! Should equate to about a $40k scholarship.

"disbursed between two years of enrollment"
I think it's for both, cuz it's half tuition award.

Lol just finally heard back from UNC! Didn't get in, but I already accepted JHU's offer so that's fine with me.

Just got waitlisted for Harvard 45 Health management.. I applied only at two schools Harvard and Johns Hopkins.

I already have an acceptance from Johns Hopkins but Harvard was my first choice

I also got wait listed at Harvard for their 45 HCM program! Have you heard of any updates from that group my any chance?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how to access to Tulane admission portal if they have it? I want to decline Tulane admission offer but I can't find it anywhere...

Does anyone know how to access to Tulane admission portal if they have it? I want to decline Tulane admission offer but I can't find it anywhere...

I couldn't find it in the portal, so I went to their acceptance email which had a link!

I had the opportunity to visit UIC last week and was super impressed! I made a very last minute decision to just show up to the school since I was in town, and despite not having an appointment or anything I got a tour and the student coordinator sat down with me for about 45 minutes and answered any and all of my questions.

It's a small program fro Epi, but it seems like there are a ton of RA positions if you want one, and a lot come with tuition waivers! They also seem really focused on field epi, which is where my interests lie. Just wanted to give my two cents since I was really impressed with them!

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone committing to a school without receiving any grants/aid other than loans? Two of my schools haven’t even awarded aid yet and the others only gave me federal loans.

Hi everyone! I'm applying for my MPH later this year and have gotten a lot of good advice from this thread, so thank you!

I'm really interested in Columbia and saw the posts about the 50% and 100% tuition waivers earlier and wanted to clarify: is this the same as the Dean's merit scholarship? Or are there many different scholarships that people are referring to?

Hi everyone! I'm applying for my MPH later this year and have gotten a lot of good advice from this thread, so thank you!

I'm really interested in Columbia and saw the posts about the 50% and 100% tuition waivers earlier and wanted to clarify: is this the same as the Dean's merit scholarship? Or are there many different scholarships that people are referring to?
I had a different 50% one, mentioned in my signature below, which will hopefully be soon reallocated!

Hi everyone! I am having so much trouble deciding between an MS in Global Health from UCSF and an MPH with a global health/epi focus from BU. BU gave me a 30% scholarship, while UCSF has only given me loans, and they're still pretty comparable in price anyways. Every time I speak with people about it, it seems UCSF carries so much weight through its name, which BU doesn't seem to have as much, but I just don't know how an MS would really play out in looking for jobs in the field. I honestly would really love any thoughts about why an MS would be more beneficial than an MPH, or vice versa. Any advice? My ultimate goal is to go to medical school, but do want to make sure that I can also work in the public health/global health sector in the future, with or without an MD. I'm also highly interested in women's health, mental health, barriers to access, and infectious disease, if that helps! Thank y'all so much for your help!

Although Emory wins at hospitality, friendliness and open communication with their students via webinars and emails, because that is what I could access only as an international student, my exact research interests were fulfilled by JHU. I do get the impression the program is very tough and condensed, while Emory's timeline seems to provide a breather, but my academic interests are best served at Hopkins.
Thank you so much for your support and input these past few months, guys. I wish you the best in whatever you choose and may we all succeed. Amen.
(Now onto loans and visa issues... )

Reactions: 8 users
Hey there! Have you thought about which program you would accept regardless of the name or ranking that it has? Also think about the location (if it matters to you) and network that you would ultimately get out of those programs. They both seem like great programs, I would also reach out to current students that have similar interests as you and ask them why they preferred an MS over an MPH or vice versa in this case.

To everyone else: Hope y’all are doing good and stay hydrated! This decision process is almost over!

Hi everyone! I am having so much trouble deciding between an MS in Global Health from UCSF and an MPH with a global health/epi focus from BU. BU gave me a 30% scholarship, while UCSF has only given me loans, and they're still pretty comparable in price anyways. Every time I speak with people about it, it seems UCSF carries so much weight through its name, which BU doesn't seem to have as much, but I just don't know how an MS would really play out in looking for jobs in the field. I honestly would really love any thoughts about why an MS would be more beneficial than an MPH, or vice versa. Any advice? My ultimate goal is to go to medical school, but do want to make sure that I can also work in the public health/global health sector in the future, with or without an MD. I'm also highly interested in women's health, mental health, barriers to access, and infectious disease, if that helps! Thank y'all so much for your help!

Anyone committing to a school without receiving any grants/aid other than loans? Two of my schools haven’t even awarded aid yet and the others only gave me federal loans.

Most people, yes!

Do you have global health experience? If not, which program allows you to do your internship/practicum abroad, ideally with funding? Have you had a chance to talk to alumni from both programs - if so, are they doing things that you are interested in? Employers for the most part put MS/MPH/MSPH in the same category - what's more important is your relevant experience in the field. If you ultimate goal is to go to medical school, it doesn't matter much where you get your master's degree- I would say go for the cheapest option since you will have to pay for med school down the road anyway.

I'm debating between two school's right now. I have not received any scholarships or anything.

I got into GW for Environmental Health Science and Policy. I also got into Rutgers BUT only for the population health certificate program. How the program works is that you have to complete 15 credits within two years with an overall GPA 3.0 and then reapply to the MPH program so basically 1 year + 1 gap year? + 1 year. I'm not highly enthusiastic about that option since I don't feel like it is guaranteed if I get into the program or not.

I have done some research on GW, but would like to hear more information. I'm also not really sure about the fact that GW has evening classes. Does Rutger's also have evening classes or are the classes more available during the day?

Any opinions/things you have heard about either school? I really would like some advice about what to do.

I'm debating between two school's right now. I have not received any scholarships or anything.

I got into GW for Environmental Health Science and Policy. I also got into Rutgers BUT only for the population health certificate program. How the program works is that you have to complete 15 credits within two years with an overall GPA 3.0 and then reapply to the MPH program so basically 1 year + 1 gap year? + 1 year. I'm not highly enthusiastic about that option since I don't feel like it is guaranteed if I get into the program or not.

I have done some research on GW, but would like to hear more information. I'm also not really sure about the fact that GW has evening classes. Does Rutger's also have evening classes or are the classes more available during the day?

Any opinions/things you have heard about either school? I really would like some advice about what to do.
Depending on what you want to do, GW's location is really hard to beat. There are SO many opportunities in DC!

It sounds like through UCSF you know exactly what you'd be getting from the program. Their medical school is also amazing!!!!

City comparisons: New York, Atlanta, D.C.
Anyone know which is best for the field of public health and securing work afterwards? I’m interested in Global Health and Epidemiology.

Sooo I was pretty set on Yale, but then Columbia offered me half tuition. I’m extremely grateful to have both of these as viable options but now I’m unsure of what to do. I really like both programs!

Anyone have any thoughts on Yale vs. Columbia?

Sooo I was pretty set on Yale, but then Columbia offered me half tuition. I’m extremely grateful to have both of these as viable options but now I’m unsure of what to do. I really like both programs!

Columbia's program is much bigger, with perhaps easier access to internships. Yale's is smaller (~30/cohort?), which could mean closer mentorship/research connections. Their locations are very different. I'd suggest visiting if you can. They also rank differently, if that has any impact for you. Cost of living in NYC will likely be higher than New Haven, as well. I personally prefer the Yale campus over any other campus, it's so beautiful!

City comparisons: New York, Atlanta, D.C.
Anyone know which is best for the field of public health and securing work afterwards? I’m interested in Global Health and Epidemiology.

It depends on what your more specific goals are. Atlanta considers itself the "Public Health capital of the world." The CDC is based there, as well as many other public health organizations (I think Emory's website lists out a bunch of them.)

D.C has a lot of higher-order, policy type opportunities (for obvious reasons). If you want to work in policy related to global health and epidemiology (maybe something involving federal programs around the world), it would be a great opportunity.

I don't know as much about the opportunities in New York, but it's New York. There's a ton of everything there, so I'm sure there would be plenty of opportunity if you know where to look (and I'm sure whichever program in New York you're looking at would help push you in the right direction.)

I don't think you could go wrong with any of them, but the best choice probably depends on your specific ambitions.

Columbia's program is much bigger, with perhaps easier access to internships. Yale's is smaller (~30/cohort?), which could mean closer mentorship/research connections. Their locations are very different. I'd suggest visiting if you can. They also rank differently, if that has any impact for you. Cost of living in NYC will likely be higher than New Haven, as well. I personally prefer the Yale campus over any other campus, it's so beautiful!

Thanks so much for your input! I actually did visit Yale, and I loved it. I just wish I was able to attend Columbia’s Admitted Students Day so I could make an equal comparison!

Was anyone able to attend and willing to give me some of the highlights? One of the big things that stuck with me about Yale was it sounded like a lot of students were able to find campus jobs pretty easy and secured pretty substantial funding by holding TF positions that helped offset costs. I thought I read somewhere that TA and RA positions at Columbia were a bit more difficult to obtain. Does anyone know if that’s true?

Also thanks in advance for listening to me babble! Will definitely be making some pro/con lists tonight and through the weekend!

Although I am really confident in my decision in which school I want to attend, I'm still VERY nervous for some reason to accept my offer and decline the others. Does anyone have any advice???

Reactions: 3 users
Guys I need help!!! I was recently informed by Rutgers’ MPH program that I was awarded the 21st Century Scholarship which equates to $10,000 for the first year and the rest will be the standard in state tuition price. While I appreciate the offer, my heart is set on Brown University and their MPH program cause of the great student to faculty ratio, research opportunities, ability to gain coveted internships and overall prestige. Even though Brown also gave me a scholarship, with its private institution costs it’s just so much more expensive compared to Rutgers. My question is: if I know I will succeed in Brown is it worth accepting that ofter even though I’ll tack on more debt than if I went to Rutgers?

Hey everyone! I have a very tough decision to make between 2 schools. I got into UIC Epi program, however I got no financial aid, it is 26k per year for tuition but almost guaranteed RA/TAship for school. I also got into SLU epi but with the low rankings I wasn't going to go until I got 37k research apprenticeship there. Any input would be great!

Guys I need help!!! I was recently informed by Rutgers’ MPH program that I was awarded the 21st Century Scholarship which equates to $10,000 for the first year and the rest will be the standard in state tuition price. While I appreciate the offer, my heart is set on Brown University and their MPH program cause of the great student to faculty ratio, research opportunities, ability to gain coveted internships and overall prestige. Even though Brown also gave me a scholarship, with its private institution costs it’s just so much more expensive compared to Rutgers. My question is: if I know I will succeed in Brown is it worth accepting that ofter even though I’ll tack on more debt than if I went to Rutgers?
Are you currently in any debt? If it's crazy amount of debt, is it worth it? I'm in the same pickle. Maybe the question we should ask is if you'd will regret the debt or missing out on going to your dream school.

I got a chance to visit both of them- here are what I've gathered (current students - please correct me If I am wrong):

On Epidemiology training - Columbia teaches SAS. Yale is transitioning to R (at least for Biostats - which is super cool). Yale will have an online session for people who don't have coding experience to get familiar with it.

On class size: Even though the overall cohort at Columbia is much bigger, the Core classes will be huge at both programs regardless. Size varies depending on electives. At Columbia, they break the class down into cohorts of about 20 people for a leadership training/case-based discussion course - this is one way they do to make the school seems smaller. The cool thing is that this cohort includes people from all departments.

On curriculum: At Columbia, you will take classes from your home department and through your certificate program - all of them are with Mailman. I think you can register for classes at other schools too but overall, there are not much space to take courses outside of your "major" and certificate. At Yale, students can take classes at any other schools (law, school of management, undergraduate, etc.) and count them toward the MPH degree, as along as it is health related. This seems to be the strength of Yale but personally, I think it's strange that the school of public health itself does not have a lot of classes to offer. For example, they will start having a GIS course for the first time next semester :-/

On work/research opportunities: At Columbia, most TA/RA jobs are reserved for second-year students. At Yale, you can start right away. You can also work as a teacher fellow for undergraduate courses. Overall, I think students at both schools have plenty of opportunities to get involved in research + getting published. Anyhow, it is New York vs. New Haven - one has so much more to offer when it comes to off-campus internships.

On practicum funding: Columbia gives a default amount of funding for every student but they don't seem to have extra funding beside that. Some students still get extra funding through faculty's grants. At Yale, I don't think there are any default funding but you can apply for any fellowship/funding at Yale (outside of the school of public health) to support your practicum

On career services: Both are decent but the director of career services at Columbia just blew my mind- she really goes out of her way to get opportunities for students. I received so many useful resources from her just from a 5-minute conversation and one email exchange. Job outcomes from both programs seem decent.

Overall students from both programs seem to be very happy with their experience - both are solid programs and have a lot to offer. The culture is very different though- do you want a nurturing experience or a "hustly-bustly" (did I just make up that word) experience?

I got a chance to visit both of them- here are what I've gathered (current students - please correct me If I am wrong):

On Epidemiology training - Columbia teaches SAS. Yale is transitioning to R (at least for Biostats - which is super cool). Yale will have an online session for people who don't have coding experience to get familiar with it.

On class size: Even though the overall cohort at Columbia is much bigger, the Core classes will be huge at both programs regardless. Size varies depending on electives. At Columbia, they break the class down into cohorts of about 20 people for a leadership training/case-based discussion course - this is one way they do to make the school seems smaller. The cool thing is that this cohort includes people from all departments.

On curriculum: At Columbia, you will take classes from your home department and through your certificate program - all of them are with Mailman. I think you can register for classes at other schools too but overall, there are not much space to take courses outside of your "major" and certificate. At Yale, students can take classes at any other schools (law, school of management, undergraduate, etc.) and count them toward the MPH degree, as along as it is health related. This seems to be the strength of Yale but personally, I think it's strange that the school of public health itself does not have a lot of classes to offer. For example, they will start having a GIS course for the first time next semester :-/

On work/research opportunities: At Columbia, most TA/RA jobs are reserved for second-year students. At Yale, you can start right away. You can also work as a teacher fellow for undergraduate courses. Overall, I think students at both schools have plenty of opportunities to get involved in research + getting published. Anyhow, it is New York vs. New Haven - one has so much more to offer when it comes to off-campus internships.

On practicum funding: Columbia gives a default amount of funding for every student but they don't seem to have extra funding beside that. Some students still get extra funding through faculty's grants. At Yale, I don't think there are any default funding but you can apply for any fellowship/funding at Yale (outside of the school of public health) to support your practicum

On career services: Both are decent but the director of career services at Columbia just blew my mind- she really goes out of her way to get opportunities for students. I received so many useful resources from her just from a 5-minute conversation and one email exchange. Job outcomes from both programs seem decent.

Overall students from both programs seem to be very happy with their experience - both are solid programs and have a lot to offer. The culture is very different though- do you want a nurturing experience or a "hustly-bustly" (did I just make up that word) experience?

Thank you so much! This is super thorough and helpful! I was afraid I’d get lost in the mix at Columbia but it’s great to know some classes are relatively small.

When you heard from students at Columbia, did they mention the likelihood of getting a GRA position your second year? Is it competetive?

Hi everyone! I have committed to Columbia and am considering living on campus at the graduate housing there. Does anyone have any insight on living on campus? Pros/cons?

Just solidified my commitment to Emory after receiving additional aid. Tough choice considering I live in Berkeley (in-state)!

Reactions: 6 users
Hey! Any insights on Columbia vs. Hopkins?

I would ideally like to work in either Health Policy or Management and would ideally like to do bits of both.

I visited both student days and very much felt the difference in terms of Columbia being more business focused (more for me) and Hopkins very medical - but also very strong in Policy. I also felt Hopkins was more 'academic' in general and would provide stronger hard skills.

Its also 2yrs vs 1yr for Hopkins which is making me want to choose Hopkins over Columbia.

Any insights on deciding between these 2?

Any help is appreciated!

Hi everyone! The deadline is fast approaching and I have yet to make a decision so any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

I am deciding between UMich (Global Disease Epidemiology) and Columbia (MPH w/ certificate in Global Health). Future plans are undecided, ranging from MD to PhD to working as epidemiologist for the CDC etc.

Pros and cons for each:

UMICH:
Pros: larger alumni network, ability to collaborate with other strong schools (business, medicine, etc), cheaper COL, specific program
Cons: not as "prestigious" of a name to those outside of public health, in a smaller city, weather

COLUMBIA:
Pros: NYC w/ many opportunities for internships, better "name", closer to home, small cohorts
Cons: COL, heard that the school is shabby and outdated, facilities not as nice

These schools gave me the same amount of money in aid so the difference in cost is only housing. I am having issues finding more info about them since I was unable to visit either for admitted students day. Could anyone provide more insight? I know TA/RA positions are reserved for 2nd years at Columbia but what about at Michigan? Is one program better than the other in preparing students?? Any advice greatly appreciated!!