MPH Fall 2014: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi
Hi, which concentration did you get in BU? I'm also considering BU for MPH Epid
Hi,
I got into MPH Epi too!
Maybe we'll be future classmates then :)

I'm just so stressed out over the finances though. I got the $12,000 merit scholarship and a $2,000/semester need based scholarship. However, the tuition is like $20,000 a semester so those scholarships barely cover anything :/

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I got into MPH Epi too!

I'm just so stressed out over the finances though. I got the $12,000 merit scholarship and a $2,000/semester need based scholarship. However, the tuition is like $20,000 a semester so those scholarships barely cover anything :/
That's interesting. I also got the $12k scholarship. Columbia was my first choice but I couldn't get Fin Aid being an international student who applied late. But your $12k + $2k/semester is really awesome from my perspective.

Anyone still waiting for Johns Hopkins and Pitt?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
I got into MPH Epi too!

Same here, I don't want to be in that much debt after grad school. At least you're going into Epi, better job opps!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey Banke,

So I actually got rejected from SDSU today. The sad thing is that it is my undergraduate school so rejection kinda sucks. I don't have a public health background so I'm not incredibly surprised though. So I guess I have to decide between BU and UPitt, and I'm definitely leaning towards BU. Such a crazy move though, I've lived in Cali practically all my life.
oh no! i'm surprised as well! =( But maybe this is a sign to explore what's out there =)

Reactions: 1 user
@Banke and @KCC1223 i've been reading your conversations. i'm still awaiting to hear from uci and columbia. i extended my decision of intent for sdsu b/c i really can't decide between BU and california. I'm also awaiting for fin award from BU, if it's substantial then i'll go but if i really can't afford it, then sdsu it is. I'm sure you'll get into SDSU. They are just taking a bit long unfortunately. The wait is killer but we're getting through it!

Are you in for SDSU's epi track?
Agreed. I am going crazy here still waiting to hear back from SDSU and UCI... :'( I haven't had one acceptance so far, so I am a bit worried... but as you said... we'll get through this!! Hopefully soon :)

I'm in EH. Everyone's raving about epi though at SDSU. I'm now considering doing EH with focus on Epi.

Is EH focus on epi the same as Epi with EH focus?

Hey Banke,

So I actually got rejected from SDSU today. The sad thing is that it is my undergraduate school so rejection kinda sucks. I don't have a public health background so I'm not incredibly surprised though. So I guess I have to decide between BU and UPitt, and I'm definitely leaning towards BU. Such a crazy move though, I've lived in Cali practically all my life.

If you don't mind, could you share your stats? I am still waiting to hear back from SDSU and don't really have a lot of public health background :(

BUT, CHEER UP! I am sure something better is waiting for you :)
Not sure how SDSU works, but one of my professors here at CSUF suggested me not to apply to my current school's MPH. One of the reasons he mentioned was to get more perspectives from professors at other universities. You'll also expend your connections as well :)
Best luck!

I'm in EH. Everyone's raving about epi though at SDSU. I'm now considering doing EH with focus on Epi.

Is EH focus on epi the same as Epi with EH focus?

I am not too sure. What do you mean by EH focus on epi? Sorry if this is a silly question, but do you mean having EH as your concentration but taking Epi electives?

If you don't mind, could you share your stats? I am still waiting to hear back from SDSU and don't really have a lot of public health background :(

BUT, CHEER UP! I am sure something better is waiting for you :)
Not sure how SDSU works, but one of my professors here at CSUF suggested me not to apply to my current school's MPH. One of the reasons he mentioned was to get more perspectives from professors at other universities. You'll also expend your connections as well :)
Best luck!
Hi,

I'm a Statistics major with a 3.35 GPA and my GRE scores were pretty average (152 V 153 Q meh). I heard SDSU's public health program is pretty competitive and that some schools don't like to accept their undergrad student so I don't know. Maybe if you are a public health undergrad or you have relevant experience you have a better chance.

I know I would have had a better chance getting into Biostatistics programs, but I find Epidemiology a lot more interesting.

But fortunately it only takes one yes, and BU believes in me so I'm grateful for that. Not to mention, it's also a great university! :)

oh no! i'm surprised as well! =( But maybe this is a sign to explore what's out there =)
I guess you never know! I only wanted to go to SDSU because of the in-state tuition. However, I've always wanted to move away, so maybe it was meant to be? I'm trying to be optimistic :)

I am not too sure. What do you mean by EH focus on epi? Sorry if this is a silly question, but do you mean having EH as your concentration but taking Epi electives?

yea. some schools have a concentration in MPH then a focus. was wondering if it was completely different.

Hi,

I'm a Statistics major with a 3.35 GPA and my GRE scores were pretty average (152 V 153 Q meh). I heard SDSU's public health program is pretty competitive and that some schools don't like to accept their undergrad student so I don't know. Maybe if you are a public health undergrad or you have relevant experience you have a better chance.

I know I would have had a better chance getting into Biostatistics programs, but I find Epidemiology a lot more interesting.

But fortunately it only takes one yes, and BU believes in me so I'm grateful for that. Not to mention, it's also a great university! :)

Your stats are good! Definitely, moving to BU will probably be challenging but a cool experience though :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Same here, I don't want to be in that much debt after grad school. At least you're going into Epi, better job opps!
I sure hope so! Boston has so many public health opportunities, so it's definitely a great place to be. The debt is scary, but hopefully the prospects outweigh the costs :)

yea. some schools have a concentration in MPH then a focus. was wondering if it was completely different.

I see. Good to know! I didn't realize there are concentration and focus. I have to look into the school more once I get an admission decision. Ugh, I can only be patient and wait right now :(

I sure hope so! Boston has so many public health opportunities, so it's definitely a great place to be. The debt is scary, but hopefully the prospects outweigh the costs :)

I'm checking my mail everyday, because my financial aid package should be coming in within the next 7 days. This will be a huge factor. BU's my dream school, but I'll probably go with the cheaper option and choose WUSTL.

Your stats are good! Definitely, moving to BU will probably be challenging but a cool experience though :)
They are alright, but thank you :)
I wouldn't be surprised if you got into SDSU's program.
Best of luck to you!

I got into UMASS for MPH in Epi with a 2.5 undergrad GPA! I literally thought I had no shot anywhere, and after getting a rejection from BU I lost all hope. But this just goes to show that MPH admissions is so much more than numbers. Congrats to you all and I'm so excited! Still waiting to hear from a couple other places but this first acceptance is always such a relief!

Reactions: 3 users
I'm checking my mail everyday, because my financial aid package should be coming in within the next 7 days. This will be a huge factor. BU's my dream school, but I'll probably go with the cheaper option and choose WUSTL.
Hopefully you get more than me! My financial aid award was almost all loans! Good luck! :)

Just received my acceptance to Washington University in St Louis!!! Plus a $10k scholarship! I couldn't be more excited! For those of you with low GPAs, hang in there! There is hope!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey Banke,

Wow...really? I'm so sorry :/! It probably was't meant to be. I would chose BU. If you really want to stay in CA Loma Linda University and USC are still accepting applications for MPH. I think Claremont Graduate School is too.

Are you in for SDSU's epi track?
Agreed. I am going crazy here still waiting to hear back from SDSU and UCI... :'( I haven't had one acceptance so far, so I am a bit worried... but as you said... we'll get through this!! Hopefully soon :)

You'll be fine :))

I totally fell in love with the campus and the school, but I have personal reasons where moving to Michigan would be really really hard! I'm still waiting to hear back from 1 other school!
Wow, me too! UMN is my other choice, and for me, that makes so much sense based on location, but they're both totally tied for different reasons in my mind besides that, so it's incredibly tricky.

I got into UMASS for MPH in Epi with a 2.5 undergrad GPA! I literally thought I had no shot anywhere, and after getting a rejection from BU I lost all hope. But this just goes to show that MPH admissions is so much more than numbers. Congrats to you all and I'm so excited! Still waiting to hear from a couple other places but this first acceptance is always such a relief!

I also thought I wouldn't get in anywhere with my 2.7 GPA and average GRE's but got accepted to George Washington and North Texas. Congrats to you!

Wow that's great! I'm waiting to hear back from 2 California state schools (already got 1 rejection) and I have a 2.8 under grad gpa and average gre scores.... Here's hoping!! Hope you get more acceptances :)

Accepted into University of Southern California (USC) for MPH in Global Health on Tuesday:) Still waiting to hear back from UCI, Loma Linda and UCLA (waitlisted).

Applied: Loma Linda University, USC, UCLA, UCI, SDSU & Columbia
Waitlisted: UCLA
Accepted: USC, SDSU
Denied: Columbia

**PS: I scored below average on the GRE and still managed to get waitlisted to UCLA and didn't meet the USC GRE requirement--just goes to show GRE scores do not mean everything.

Reactions: 7 users
Accepted into University of Southern California (USC) for MPH in Global Health on Tuesday:) Still waiting to hear back from UCI, Loma Linda and UCLA (waitlisted).

**PS: I scored below average on the GRE and still managed to get waitlisted to UCLA and didn't meet the USC GRE requirement--just goes to show GRE scores do not mean everything.

CONGRATS!! Didn't you just call them (USC) like on Monday? Haha, I remember our conversation couple days ago. Just curious, would you prefer to go to USC than SDSU?

CONGRATS!! Didn't you just call them (USC) like on Monday? Haha, I remember our conversation couple days ago. Just curious, would you prefer to go to USC than SDSU?

Thank you! & LOL yes! And the next day they sent me an acceptance e-mail. I prefer USC because SDSU didn't have a global health track with is what I want to do. What about you? Do you prefer SDSU or USC? What is your concentration?

Thank you! & LOL yes! And the next day they sent me an acceptance e-mail. I prefer USC because SDSU didn't have a global health track with is what I want to do. What about you? Do you prefer SDSU or USC? What is your concentration?

That is awesome! I am still dying here waiting to hear back from schools :'(
Same here, I'd prefer USC over SDSU because of the track (Biostats/Epi) I applied. I feel like having both biostats and epi would allow me to have better analytical knowledge when dealing with data. But then again, SDSU is more affordable... I think I'll worry about the cost after I get accepted... Haha...

Btw, did you contact Valerie from USC?

That is awesome! I am still dying here waiting to hear back from schools :'(
Same here, I'd prefer USC over SDSU because of the track (Biostats/Epi) I applied. I feel like having both biostats and epi would allow me to have better analytical knowledge when dealing with data. But then again, SDSU is more affordable... I think I'll worry about the cost after I get accepted... Haha...

Btw, did you contact Valerie from USC?

That's very true. I wish they had a global health epi track. I would have loved to do that. Yes, I spoke to Valerie--did you ever contact her about your situation? SDSU is very affordable but I prefer USC because I feel they have more connections with global health orgs for my track. I wish sdsu had a global health track that would've been great!

Hello,
So I've been a long term lurker and I'm not really sure what to do with myself as I'm waiting for acceptances. I have a low GPA and average scores but I really want to get more medical/health experience and ultimately an MPH. I'm pretty worried and slightly convinced that I won't get in anywhere, but nevertheless here are my stats:

Undergrad School: UCLA
Undergrad GPA: 2.5

Major/Minor: Biology
GradGPA (if applicable): n/a
Grad Studies (if applicable): n/a
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 151Q, 155R, 6W
Experience/Research (please, be brief):
-Bruins for public health, officer and general member
-100+ hours volunteering at Ronald Reagan/Santa Monica Hospital
-Went on a medical mission trip to Nicaragua for a week
-Experience in a doctors office for 6 months before moving
-undergrad research on high schools/middle schools regarding nutrition and physical fitness

Applied: SDSU, U of T, USC, CSU San Marcos (didn't send it out yet), NYU
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Good luck to everyone and congrats on everyone that got in!

That's very true. I wish they had a global health epi track. I would have loved to do that. Yes, I spoke to Valerie--did you ever contact her about your situation? SDSU is very affordable but I prefer USC because I feel they have more connections with global health orgs for my track. I wish sdsu had a global health track that would've been great!

Yea, I just emailed her earlier. I applied late though (in Feb) so I don't expect them to get back to me soon but it'd be nice. When did you apply?

How horrible are we talking here?:D
Like, 288 horrible?:(

Congrats though. Thanks for the hope.

Could any of you share me the nicest email you think to denyschools? thanks

For those who got waitlisted there is hope! Got my status changed from the wait list to accepted from Yale. However, I will probably decline the offer soon since I am much more interested in Columbia or Berkeley.

I don't know how to decide :(

That's great to hear wait lists are already moving- thank you for the update! How did they notify you- was it via email or phone?

Well, lots of overachievers here! Congrats to everyone! I know its not Yale or Columbia, but I just got accepted into UNF! At least I know I will have somewhere to go this fall. Still waiting on UMiami, USouth Florida, Florida International, and Nova. Cheers.

Reactions: 5 users
Could any of you share me the nicest email you think to denyschools? thanks

Here's one that I sent:

Both _______ and ______ offered me _______ scholarships, so although I believe [your school of public health] offers a superb education, I have decided to attend either ________ or __________ in lieu of [your] program. Thank you for the opportunity to study ______________ at [your school].

All the best,

Emma

Undergrad School: Whitworth University (Spokane, WA)
Undergrad GPA: 3.55
Major/Minor: History, Theology
GradGPA (if applicable): N/A
Grad Studies (if applicable): N/A
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 153 V, 150 Q, 5W
Experience/Research (please, be brief):
-Teach for America / AmeriCorps

Applied: Boston U. (Epi), UT Health (Epi), Univ. of Virginia (Epi)
Accepted: Boston
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Good luck to you all!

I'm brand new to this forum (my friend just informed me about it earlier today when I was asking her about her medical school responses), but I thought I'd post my MPH acceptances and rejections.

Undergrad School: UCLA
Undergrad GPA:
Major/Minor: Physiological Science
GradGPA : N/A
Grad Studies :N/A
GRE or Other Test: November 2013, 155V, 160 QR, 5W
Experience/Research:
  • Neuroscience research for about a year
  • Worked in an educational access project for 2.5 years
Applied: UCLA, UCI, SDSU
Accepted: SDSU (Health Promotion and Behavioral Science), UCI (Sociocultural Diversity)
Rejected: UCLA
Waitlisted:N/A

Right now, SDSU falls more in line with my professional goals and is more affordable than UCI. However, I do plan to visit UCI and see if it changes my decision.

Best wishes to everyone on your wait!

Has anyone who applied to SDSU heard back yet? When did your SOPHAS get sent out. I haven't heard back mine was sent 2/24.
Any info would be great :) I am going a little crazy !!!!

Hi there!
I actually heard back from SDSU on 3/22. I turned in my SOPHAS and CSU application a week before the 2/15 deadline (2/8 I think). They sent me an acceptance letter with a little postcard to respond, but my status on my application on SDSU's website hasn't changed back yet. Best wishes to you! I hope everything works out.

Here's one that I sent:

Both _______ and ______ offered me _______ scholarships, so although I believe [your school of public health] offers a superb education, I have decided to attend either ________ or __________ in lieu of [your] program. Thank you for the opportunity to study ______________ at [your school].

All the best,

Emma

Thanks emma,

Your email is really great, unfortunately all of my schools offer me funding because Im international and I have a partial funding from an organization in the US, and all schools which admitted me give me the rest funding.
Thanks alot and hope to hear other ideas if any.

Thank you so much! Congratulations! When do you have to decide by?

Hi there!
I actually heard back from SDSU on 3/22. I turned in my SOPHAS and CSU application a week before the 2/15 deadline (2/8 I think). They sent me an acceptance letter with a little postcard to respond, but my status on my application on SDSU's website hasn't changed back yet. Best wishes to you! I hope everything works out.

Thank you so much! Congratulations! When do you have to decide by?

Thank you, Mellomel! I really appreciate it. The deadline to accept to SDSU is April 15th, but I turned in my acceptance "postcard" the Monday after the weekend I received it.

Has anybody received information about Colorado's Admit day? I was planning on going but there's been no email regarding an agenda, where the actual events are located on campus, etc. Was I left out of something??