MPH Fall 2014: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rejected from UCI via snail mail. The wait is finally over!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

@KCC1223 and InsaneObserver did your status on the application tracker website change? or did it still say "under review" when you received your letter? Just wondering since I am still waiting. :) Also what specializations did you apply to?

Members don't see this ad :)
@KCC1223 and InsaneObserver did your status on the application tracker website change? or did it still say "under review" when you received your letter? Just wondering since I am still waiting. :) Also what specializations did you apply to?

Mine still says under review but they'll probably change it soon. I applied to their Epi. Good luck to you though! I kinda knew it was a rejection letter once I got it just because someone got an acceptance email first and then the letter...

I got rejected too! Oh wells!!!! Good luck to you on your grad study!!! :)
=( sorry. Good luck to you as well!
I am assuming my status online didn't change...and that it still says 'under review'. I applied for EHS

I responded you earlier yesterday and then I had a chat with some of my professors. Then everything changed... They really don't think UCI is a good idea and USC vs. SDSU is a tough one... It's long story but I am most likely going to SDSU :)
Are you for sure going to SDSU?

Hi! My apologies for the delay. I see your point in regards to your bf being a factor, but to be honest; you should be fine on your own...your future is more important than that in my opinion! I also got rejected by UCI :( whatever haha. I will most likely go to SDSU now and yes I am out of the area...SF bay area to be exact which means I will most likely leave my car here and just fly whenever I want to visit back home. I was debating on applying to USC, but they probably just want our money and SDSU just seems like a better choice, especially after your clarification. SDSU it is...yay us!

Update: rejected from both Fullerton and Long Beach. 3/4 rejections, waiting on USC .... Not sure exactly where to go from here, cause USC is way expensive assuming I get in

Hey! Did you ever figure out the whole deposit thing at USC? I don't really understand.. All we do is click the 'intent to enroll' link they emailed, and that's it? I feel like I'm missing something too.. Like their should definitely be more to the process. hahaha
I don't think they have a deposit process haha it's really weird. Have you decided to go to the university for your mph?

Yes, UC Irvine! Same here, I only know their MPH program is pretty new and that's it, haha. True, I actually signed up for USC's general grad orientation already, since they don't require you to pay I think it'd be okay to not attend if I decide to go elsewhere.

Nah you don't sound ridiculous 'cuz that's exactly my concern too! I went to CSUF for undergrad and I am really hoping to attend a "bigger" university if that makes sense, haha, plus it'll be my last degree (not planning to get a phd at the moment hehe) and I'd really like it to look nice on my resume. But then again, USC's tuition is expensive... and thinking about how much debt I will be in scares me already :( But anyways, you drove around SDSU right? I am thinking about driving down there this weekend to see if I like it... I know I don't like USC's surroundings for sure, lol, so... yeah... Sigh... I just hope UCI can tell me already...

The USC Keck School of Medicine isn't that great...I went there about two weeks ago and even the director acknowledged its not the best campus but they make do.lol

I was pretty much set on USC but I've been thinking about all the other options and now I am very unsure :(
Still waiting for UCI... since I would really love to go there... So far I am deciding between SDSU and USC... Ugh, so hard! But I read your other comment and just want to let you know that USC's MPH program doesn't require deposit :) Valerie did suggest me to check with grad admission to see if they require one and I haven't heard back from them.

Btw, I remember seeing you got accepted to SDSU. I am just curious how come you eliminated it from your consideration? If you don't mind sharing!

I'm not going to USC anymore the tuition is super expensive and they don't have a school of public health like other programs do :/. I already committed to UCLA. Plus I went to their informational and I didn't like the campus that much...you don't take classes at the main campus. The classrooms were really small and Idk it wasn't what I expected it to be :/

Yes, I will most likely attend UCI if they take me. I understand your point of view though, because that's exactly why I am having such a difficult time choosing between USC and SDSU right now. I love SDSU's curriculum, affordable tuition, and definitely the fact that it's a school of public health. My professor actually knows two faculty members in SDSU's MPH epi department and he said they are both very good. But moving to SD means I will probably be living alone and away from my boyfriend and I am not sure if I will like the location either :( I know I sound silly right now basing my decision on my bf but we've been together for years and he is a big factor of my life that I would rather stay close. But he did mention that he will try to find a job down in SD if I decide to go with SDSU so everything is really up in the air...

Also to answer your question, I am not really sure if it matters to me whether it's a program or school. I don't think I will be looking for a career in the CDC. However, I am hoping to get an internship experience there or higher up international organization (WHO). USC has an international practicum that brings MPH students to WHO and Global Fund annually and this is the main reason I am really interested in their program.

How about you? Did you decide where to attend yet? I am also curious to know if SDSU stands strong outside of San Diego. If I go there, I do plan to come back to OC area and I'd love to know if the name of the school is competitive...

So when I went to the usc mph informational I was informed that the World Health Assembly trip is not a practicum it's like a pre-praticum. Students have the option of staying in Geneva if they were to land an internship with WHO. I believe that you are only on the trip for 2 weeks? The trip to the World Health Assembly ranges from 3,500-4k.

I have too heard that it is better to attend a university that has a school of public health as opposed to one that just has a program. USC is not in the ranking for MPH at all because they do not have a school of public health. I believe SDSU is ranked number 30 in the nation.

Also, at USC's mph program classes run for 3 1/2 hours--you only attend class 2-3 times a week which is good if you are wanting to work part-time. They stated that their acceptance rate is 70% and most people who apply get accepted.

Concentrations: if you decide that you don't like your concentration at USC you can change it at any time. Again, other school's do not have this option.

2 year graduation rate: they stated that a lot of students finish in less than two years.

Classes: I walked around and the classes are pretty small.

Campus: you have the option of taking your electives at the main campus.

That's pretty much all of what I remember from the informational session. Again, I still chose UCLA over USC because 1. the cost 2. UCLA has a school of public health and I wanna work for NIH, CDC, etc so it looks better to have went to a university that has a school of public health.

I hope this info helped!

Reactions: 1 users
I chimed in earlier in the conversation, though I did not have any good news to share at the time.

Undergrad School:
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Undergrad GPA: 3.3 GPA
Major/Minor: Sociology, International Finance and Marketing (Minor)
GRE (including date taken): 160 Q, 153 V, 4.5 W
Experience/Research (please, be brief): Graduated from UNC-Chapel Hill in Fall 2011. Worked for three nonprofit health organizations in a myriad of ways since September 2011. Two of the three are major nonprofit health brands (nationally known) and one is a smaller boutique. Have worked in development, marketing, communications, fundraising and event planning for each of these organizations. Started an online community for cancer survivors, patients and their families in '07, global reach of 11,000+ members. Highly involved in raising awareness and funds for critical health issues all through high school and college. Volunteered at children's hospital in college multiple times a week. Held numerous leadership roles in student health organizations at both universities that I attended. Will have 3+ solid years of work experience with nonprofit health brands before I start my MPH program in Fall '14 (if I get in anywhere)

Applied: Johns Hopkins University (MBA/MPH), Emory (MBA/MPH), UNC (MPH-Health Behavior), Tulane (MPH-Global Health and Development), Georgetown (Master of Science-Global Health), USC (Global Health Leadership)
Accepted: Tulane (04/02), USC (Los Angeles) (04/02)
Rejected:
UNC-Chapel Hill MPH HB (2/14), Johns Hopkins University MBA/MPH (2/24), Emory MBA/MPH (03/02)
Waitlisted:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not going to USC anymore the tuition is super expensive and they don't have a school of public health like other programs do :/. I already committed to UCLA. Plus I went to their informational and I didn't like the campus that much...you don't take classes at the main campus. The classrooms were really small and Idk it wasn't what I expected it to be :/

Congrats on UCLA!!! Best luck :)

So when I went to the usc mph informational I was informed that the World Health Assembly trip is not a practicum it's like a pre-praticum. Students have the option of staying in Geneva if they were to land an internship with WHO. I believe that you are only on the trip for 2 weeks? The trip to the World Health Assembly ranges from 3,500-4k.

I have too heard that it is better to attend a university that has a school of public health as opposed to one that just has a program. USC is not in the ranking for MPH at all because they do not have a school of public health. I believe SDSU is ranked number 30 in the nation.

Also, at USC's mph program classes run for 3 1/2 hours--you only attend class 2-3 times a week which is good if you are wanting to work part-time. They stated that their acceptance rate is 70% and most people who apply get accepted.

Concentrations: if you decide that you don't like your concentration at USC you can change it at any time. Again, other school's do not have this option.

2 year graduation rate: they stated that a lot of students finish in less than two years.

Classes: I walked around and the classes are pretty small.

Campus: you have the option of taking your electives at the main campus.

That's pretty much all of what I remember from the informational session. Again, I still chose UCLA over USC because 1. the cost 2. UCLA has a school of public health and I wanna work for NIH, CDC, etc so it looks better to have went to a university that has a school of public health.

I hope this info helped!

Hello! Thank you so much for the information! I decided not to go with USC either... I am most likely attending SDSU for almost all the reasons you listed (the cost and being a school of PH)! My professors recommend there as well in comparison to USC... so I hope it'll be a fun adventure :)

Reactions: 1 user
I am deciding between UNT, Tulane, and USF. I know the ranking is Tulane--> USF--> UNT, but how relevant that is?
Right now, I am admitted in UNT only, but I am hoping I will get into the other two schools, and need to respond to UNT in next few days!
Please share your thoughts. Thanks!

I got an acceptance email from UCI today for those of you still waiting! I applied to EH specialization

Hello! Thank you so much for the information! I decided not to go with USC either... I am most likely attending SDSU for almost all the reasons you listed (the cost and being a school of PH)! My professors recommend there as well in comparison to USC... so I hope it'll be a fun adventure :)

No problem! SDSU is great!! And congratulations to you!

I chimed in earlier in the conversation, though I did not have any good news to share at the time.
Undergrad School: The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Undergrad GPA: 3.3 GPA
Major/Minor: Sociology, International Finance and Marketing (Minor)
GRE (including date taken): 160 Q, 153 V, 4.5 W
Experience/Research (please, be brief): Graduated from UNC-Chapel Hill in Fall 2011. Worked for three nonprofit health organizations in a myriad of ways since September 2011. Two of the three are major nonprofit health brands (nationally known) and one is a smaller boutique. Have worked in development, marketing, communications, fundraising and event planning for each of these organizations. Started an online community for cancer survivors, patients and their families in '07, global reach of 11,000+ members. Highly involved in raising awareness and funds for critical health issues all through high school and college. Volunteered at children's hospital in college multiple times a week. Held numerous leadership roles in student health organizations at both universities that I attended. Will have 3+ solid years of work experience with nonprofit health brands before I start my MPH program in Fall '14 (if I get in anywhere)

Applied: Johns Hopkins University (MBA/MPH), Emory (MBA/MPH), UNC (MPH-Health Behavior), Tulane (MPH-Global Health and Development), Georgetown (Master of Science-Global Health), USC (Global Health Leadership)
Accepted: Tulane (04/02), USC (Los Angeles) (04/02)
Rejected:
UNC-Chapel Hill MPH HB (2/14), Johns Hopkins University MBA/MPH (2/24), Emory MBA/MPH (03/02)
Waitlisted:

Congrats on your Acceptances! I would pick Tulane! They have a great global health department. I actually provided some info about USC's dept on this thread it should be on this page.

Congrats on your Acceptances! I would pick Tulane! They have a great global health department. I actually provided some info about USC's dept on this thread it should be on this page.

Thanks so much, @Banke! I'm leaning towards Tulane, though I'm still waiting on my decision from Georgetown. If accepted to Georgetown, I feel like this is going to be a hard decision. I've been reaching out to my contacts who work in the global health field, as well as current students at both Tulane and Georgetown. Of course, there's pros and cons about each program. Mainly, Tulane's program is more developed and stored in an actual School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, whereas Georgetown is a MSc. program (not an MPH) and goes through Georgetown's School of Graduate Studies. However, I feel that being in Washington, DC will offer a lot more opportunities to network and gain experience in the field compared to Tulane and its location in New Orleans.

Any insight would be deeply appreciated! I hope that all of you had a very nice Mother's Day, and that you got to spend it with your mother and/or mother figures.

I'm at Tulane now. Any specific questions?

Anyone going to UCLA? Need some advise on grad housing within/outside the campus.
Thanks

Anyone going to UCLA? Need some advise on grad housing within/outside the campus.
Thanks
I'm not a grad student at UCLA but I did go there for my undergrad and know a lot of current MPH students. Did you have any specific questions?

I'm at Tulane now. Any specific questions?

Thanks, @Fedaykin! I only have a few questions at the moment. The most important one for me is, how is Tulane seen in the eyes of public health professionals and valued in the public health world? Is it comparable to Hopkins and Emory? I'm mainly only interested in its reputation for its global health focus. How would you rate the quality of instruction and course materials, as well as the caliber of students at TSPHTM?

Since Tulane is located in New Orleans, are there still opportunities in the area to conduct research and gain experience in the field of global public health? Living in DC, there's so many opportunities to intern and work for international health and development organizations. On that end, does Tulane offer opportunities for students to travel overseas and work in the field? If so, are there any scholarship programs or forms of financial assistance, aside from financial aid?

Lastly, I know that Tulane's location makes it an ideal spot for people interested in the tropical medicine and health issues in Latin America. Though, I'm most concerned with sub-Saharan Africa and working on health programs that are centered on critical health issues that affect people in that region of the world.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Thanks, @Fedaykin! I only have a few questions at the moment. The most important one for me is, how is Tulane seen in the eyes of public health professionals and valued in the public health world? Is it comparable to Hopkins and Emory?

First off, we're the oldest School of Public Health in the US, and we're the only school with Tropical Medicine in it's name. Both of those count for something in terms of our reputation. I won't say that we're better or worse than Hopkins and Emory though we're certainly in the same echelon. I will say that we occupy a very particular niche in the Public Health community, and that niche we pretty much own- public health in developing tropical countries. The only program I can say is clearly better than us is the London School of Hygeine & Tropical Medicine. As for how we're seen in the eyes of other programs, this depends very much on what you want to do. Is your goal to do international fieldwork? We're a great place to come. Is your goal to work for the CDC? No question, Emory wins there.

I'm mainly only interested in its reputation for its global health focus. How would you rate the quality of instruction and course materials, as well as the caliber of students at TSPHTM?

All courses have their own focus which varies a lot on what the instructor is interested in. I took a course in Tuberculosis & HIV, which, while very good, wasn't quite what I expected. I expected a very microbiology/pathology oriented course, and it turned out to be very sociological in nature. I ended up not minding though because professor managed to get amazing guest lecturers. We have a lot of course material which I guarantee you won't find anywhere else.

As for core requirements, I can't comment much. I got out of taking most because I'm transferring in courses I took at my MS program elsewhere (TJU). I understand that students in other programs think very highly of our core courses and often can't say enough good things about them. I know students in my program think they're terrible. In fact, when we met with reviewers for regional accreditation a month-ish ago, students in my program were complaining they paid for courses that they stopped showing up to mid-semester and still passed.

I'll also say that the level of rigor is very good. In my MS program at Jeff, I got straight A's by simply reading over notes and slides for 4-6 hours before exams. That was it. I tried that here and bombed my first round of exams (everything worked out ok in the end, though!). Now I have better study habits.

It's worthwhile to note that my department is something of the oddball in the school. We're actually an infectious disease program, so we have a lot of bench scientists. I apologize but do realize that this is coming from a person who would likes virology rather than a public health person.

The caliber of students is extremely good and also interesting. We attract a very broad range of people. We have a lot of bleeding hearts, a lot of science nerds, a lot of people with strong appreciation for multiculturalism, and we're very racially diverse (offhand, I'm one of about 3 white males in my program). When there's an article on Facebook about chikungunya appearing in the Caribbean for the first time of IFLS's video of a bot fly larva being removed from a person's eye and I share it on my wall, I can expect half a dozen people talking about how cool it is (ID people get excited about awful things). And people are really close- anyone I know in my program could come to me in the future needing a guest room for a night and they'd have it, no questions asked. I'm out with friends doing things in the city and outside all the time. By comparison, at Jeff, this never happened. Ever. People literally did not interact outside of class, ever, except for the very odd case when you'd get a beer with someone before going home. Don't underestimate the importance of this in your mental health while going through grad school.

Since Tulane is located in New Orleans, are there still opportunities in the area to conduct research and gain experience in the field of global public health? Living in DC, there's so many opportunities to intern and work for international health and development organizations. On that end, does Tulane offer opportunities for students to travel overseas and work in the field? If so, are there any scholarship programs or forms of financial assistance, aside from financial aid?

Tons of opportunities for international work, although many of them are specific to different programs. My program (Dept of Tropical Medicine) runs a one-month trip to Peru in cooperation with the (IIRC) the epi department. I know that other departments run programs all over the world. You can basically point to a region of the world, and there's probably an international experience program happening there.

Funding largely varies from program to program. I know that for the Peru trip they subsidize a small amount of the cost but not very much. A friend of mine is going on it and the PI she's working for (who has good funding) threw her some financial support so she could stay another month and collect mosquitoes.

There are also a lot of unique opportunities not necessarily connected to the school that you'll find if you're talented at networking. One friend of mine leaves in about a week and won't be back until near Christmas. In that time she'll be working in Haiti, Laos, and (IIRC) Thailand. I'll be explicit that I don't know where she found this opportunities, but she did find them. Another of my friends is in Singapore right now. Another is spending the summer in Thailand and will be back in the Fall. Due to my course of study (PhD), I'm not really looking for these things because my education is much more of a long game. Bottom line, I don't know all the opportunities we have for international fieldwork, but I do know that all my friends who wanted them found them.

Of course, if you parlay your MPH experience into one of the PhD programs, your opportunities increase greatly. Another friend of mine recently won an external scholarship he described to me as "equivalent of the Fullbright specific to public health." It's going to pay for him to spend the entire next year in Mali doing malaria surveillance.

That said, overall, financial aid beyond FAFSA is one thing I think the school needs to do better on. You'll have loans, possibly a work-study (possibly in a lab), and probably a job outside of class somewhere in New Orleans unless you just want to go full-out loans.

Lastly, I know that Tulane's location makes it an ideal spot for people interested in the tropical medicine and health issues in Latin America. Though, I'm most concerned with sub-Saharan Africa and working on health programs that are centered on critical health issues that affect people in that region of the world.

There's a lot of focus on sub-Saharan Africa, at least in my department, because it has an unduly high burden of tropical disease. What you might be interested in is malaria, which I would venture to say is what about 50% of my department's resources are focused on. I took an entire class in Malaria this semester (threefold focus on malaria biology, vaccine & drug issues, and malaria genetics). Cool fact: did you know that in southeast Asia, counterfeit antimalarials have a street value ten times higher than heroin? I didn't. And there are a lot of other similarly-themed courses in other departments. There's a "Population-based Malaria Prevention and Control" class with an awesome prof next fall, but I won't be able to take it because I'm doing a lab rotation off-campus.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Any time!

Hey Everyone congrats on your acceptances and good luck to everyone! I've been accepted to UCI, Emory, Boston University, but I don't know which one to choose. I'm originally from California, and I am unsure which program to choose. All are social and behavioral concentrations. Also if anyone can provide insight or experience they have with these programs. Thanks!

@Fedaykin, Thank you for that long and extremely helpful post. I have no interest in working at the CDC, so Tulane might be a much better fit for my interests and career goals. On that end, I just saw this article on my Facebook mini-feed.

http://www.sph.tulane.edu/publichealth/pressroom/new-certificate-program-builds-skills.cfm

@lemmeseeurgrill , Emory's BSHE department is great. I do not know much about UCI, because I did not do any research on their programs or the school in whole. BU, I've heard mixed reviews about. If finances are a concern, I would probably suggest UCI. Like other have mentioned, I think experience is much more important than the name on someone's degree.

Hello folks!

I'm still having trouble finalizing my decision. I have narrowed it down to SDSU and Indiana University-Bloomington both for Epidemiology/Biostats. SDSU is in-state, ranked in the top 30, and much cheaper than Indiana. Indiana on the other hand has a bigger name and possibly more recognized nationally/globally as compared to SDSU, but they are not ranked yet because they are a fairly new program. I also might be getting some aid at Indiana to help with out-of-state tuition costs. Any suggestions?

@Shab23, I'd honestly go to SDSU. It's in-state and cheaper. Indiana is not a big enough name to go into debt and take out student loans. I could understand if you were choosing between Hopkins, Harvard and San Diego State. Though, I think you can get an equal education and network just as much at SDSU, as you would be able to at Indiana. That's just my .02.

Thank you @BPW1088 for your input!

@JQH I want to eventually get into research and lab work, with some field work and data collection. I would like to work for the government, hospitals, and other related work environments such as pharmaceutical companies, etc. CDC and WHO would be awesome but that's not my only choice

@Shab23, I still stand by San Diego State University. If you're interested in pharmaceuticals and healthcare companies, San Diego is great because of the Scripps Institute. I think that being in San Diego will allow you to build more relationships and network more than in Indiana. That's just my .02.

@Shab23, I still stand by San Diego State University. If you're interested in pharmaceuticals and healthcare companies, San Diego is great because of the Scripps Institute. I think that being in San Diego will allow you to build more relationships and network more than in Indiana.

Bingo. I don't know what the pharmaceutical industry is like in San Diego. But, as a person who's dabbled in that industry, the best programs are going to be the ones local to a lot of pharmaceutical firms. Ie, I don't have the knowledge to back you up and say "this is absolutely correct," but your logic is spot on as to how it works.

To future applicants who read this thread: If you are on the waitlist, there is definitely always a chance you could get in... Accepted at BU with scholarship this last week! Stay hopeful and best of luck to you. :highfive:

Reactions: 2 users
@JQH West Coast and East Coast, and maybe the North/Midwest

@BPW1088 That's what I was thinking as well, minus Scripps Institute. I just know they have a lot of pharma companies and they also have UCSD

Hi All,

Could really use your $0.02 right now. I've been pulling hairs trying to decide between BU and SDSU's MPH Epi Programs. I currently live in San Diego, so there's a lot of upside to attending SDSU - family is here, much cheaper tuition, could live at home and save money, could maintain a small source of income while in school by keeping my part-time job, familiar with the program structure, would allow me to start building my network since I plan to settle in SD in the future, boyfriend lives here and is doing really well in his career.

SDSU sounds like a no-brainer, right? But BU has been my dream school since I began my Public Health Career. I realize that it's all the way across country, which would require a very abrupt life change, but I visited the city last November and really fell in love. Of course, that's from a tourist's standpoint. Anyway, BU is obviously better-ranked, and seems to be an amazing educational opportunity. It just comes at such a hefty price, and I'm indecisive as to whether the high tuition will be worth it in the end.

Both schools also have research topics that align with my own interests, so that doesn't help my situation out. What I do feel is that going to SDSU would be the safer, more rational option, while attending BU would be the adventurous dream. I'm 25...smack dab in the middle of "F it, you can afford to be young and spontaneous :soexcited:" and "Don't be stupid. You cannot afford to get into any more debt :bang:."

Help! Can any of you offer advice on how you chose your schools or your personal experiences with these specific institutions? I'm going bananas here! :diebanana:

Hi All,

Could really use your $0.02 right now. I've been pulling hairs trying to decide between BU and SDSU's MPH Epi Programs. I currently live in San Diego, so there's a lot of upside to attending SDSU - family is here, much cheaper tuition, could live at home and save money, could maintain a small source of income while in school by keeping my part-time job, familiar with the program structure, would allow me to start building my network since I plan to settle in SD in the future, boyfriend lives here and is doing really well in his career.

SDSU sounds like a no-brainer, right? But BU has been my dream school since I began my Public Health Career. I realize that it's all the way across country, which would require a very abrupt life change, but I visited the city last November and really fell in love. Of course, that's from a tourist's standpoint. Anyway, BU is obviously better-ranked, and seems to be an amazing educational opportunity. It just comes at such a hefty price, and I'm indecisive as to whether the high tuition will be worth it in the end.

Both schools also have research topics that align with my own interests, so that doesn't help my situation out. What I do feel is that going to SDSU would be the safer, more rational option, while attending BU would be the adventurous dream. I'm 25...smack dab in the middle of "F it, you can afford to be young and spontaneous :soexcited:" and "Don't be stupid. You cannot afford to get into any more debt :bang:."

Help! Can any of you offer advice on how you chose your schools or your personal experiences with these specific institutions? I'm going bananas here! :diebanana:

SDSU is a no brainer. It's always smart to build your professional network in the city you plan on living in after school. And considering it's cheaper for you too, definitely no brainer. BU is not prestigious enough to consider it over you in-state school.

SDSU is a no brainer. It's always smart to build your professional network in the city you plan on living in after school. And considering it's cheaper for you too, definitely no brainer. BU is not prestigious enough to consider it over you in-state school.

How about USC vs. SDSU (Epi concentration)? Is USC's MPH good? I know SDSU has solid program but it would be much easier to go to USC since I live pretty close to it. But the school is a lot more expensive...

Did anyone get a call from CA Baptist University about their inaugural class in the Fall for their new Public Health program?

How about USC vs. SDSU (Epi concentration)? Is USC's MPH good? I know SDSU has solid program but it would be much easier to go to USC since I live pretty close to it. But the school is a lot more expensive...

I don't think USC is prestigious enough reputation to be worth paying a lot more. USC probably does have the leg up in connections with LA jobs due to location and SDSU with SD. But SDSU is not that far away that you won't be able to find a job in LA after going to SDSU, if that's what you want. Save the money, go to SDSU.

Anyone enrolling in GW's online program?

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I was curious if anyone knows anything about the MPH programs at CSU Northridge and CSU Fullerton? I been accepted to both and wanted to get more information about both programs before I made a decision.

Hi everyone,

I was curious if anyone knows anything about the MPH programs at CSU Northridge and CSU Fullerton? I been accepted to both and wanted to get more information about both programs before I made a decision.

In my opinion, CSUF is the better program. It's higher ranked as a school in general and if you look at the specifics of the programs, CSUF offers more options in tracks and classes offered. They have more full-time faculty and more ongoing research projects. CSUN's program is very narrowly focused in community health education and the program requirements reflect this. Personally, I will be apart of the Fall 2014 cohort and selected CSUF over SJSU, CSULB, and CSUN. It really depends on what field within public health you find more interesting.