MPH Fall 2016: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted into Pitt's Behavioral and Community Health Sciences department! Short email with a letter to follow.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
This community is just too awesome! Lets keep the fire burning and the dreams alive!
Here are my stats;

Undergrad School:
IMG
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: Waiting on WES to let me know
Major/Minor: Medicine
GRE
Paper based taken 10/17, V154, Q154, AWA 4.5 - (really disappointed coz I know I can do way better! Had some major issues going on on exam day)
Experience/Research
- Many honors and high passes in medical school
- Recipient of prestigious national scholarship
- Mentor for underprivileged high school teens and HIV support group for young adults
- Volunteered 2 years in a pediatric oncology unit
- Two years medical internship experience
- One year teaching assistant Anatomy Lab
- Executive committee of Health Rights Advocacy student group
- Pioneered medical-student run free clinic for adolescents
- Volunteered in countless medical outreach missions with faith based organizations
- Research assistant in 2 major studies (not yet published!)
- Two month long CDC sponsored Epidemiology elective
- Etc etc:

LORs Two local professors and one Harvard Faculty member
Interested in: MPH, the school-wide (or general!). Interests include either Epidemiology, Global Health or Health policy
Applied: (Planning on) Johns Hopkins, Harvard, GWU, Washington University at St Louis, Yale
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I know my GRE scores are terrible but retaking them not an option for me right now. Only the paper based is available where I come from and the next available date is Feb 2016! Do you think I should just take the risk and submit my application anyway or wait in this case for a whole year and apply with better scores? Keeping in mind that I need all the financial aid I can get! What do you think are my chances? Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Undergrad School: Top 25 university
Undergrad GPA: 3.1
Major/Minor: Psychology
GradGPA
(if applicable):
Grad Studies (if applicable):
GRE November 11/6 V: 163, Q:150, AW: 4

Experience/Research :
-Current AmeriCorps volunteer
-5 months working with refugees in Asia
-3 months working with refugees in Europe
-3 months working in a HIV/AIDS clinic
-3 months working with low income students
-1 year tutor

I am trying to get into Health Management/Administration & Policy tracks but I'm worried that my stats aren't up to standard for some of the higher schools on the list I am planning on applying to. With my scores what do you all think? Should I shoot for one or two reach schools and focus on my safeties or not even bother with the reach and save some money? Thanks in advance.

Interested in: (All health/administration & policy) Columbia, Emory, U of Michigan, Harvard, UCLA, UCB, San Diego State, U of Illinois Chicago, U of South Florida, Drexel, Colorado State, U of Texas.
Applied: Minnesota (November)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last year I was trying to decide where to go to school and ended up choosing a program based on scholarships. I just want to provide my input to anyone searching the internet for Washington University Saint Louis MPH (WUSTL) because all I had to go on last year was really just how they marketed the program.

The MPH program is in the school of social work and not the school of medicine or its own school. They have an MSPH program in the medical school that may or may not be stronger in biostatistics/epidemiology, but is only open to clinicians. You do have options to take courses in that program if they do not conflict with your MPH schedule. They fill up your credit hours with "transdisciplinary" courses and therefore you get less specialized training. You can only take up to 15 credit hours per semester, and practicum is billable for 3 credits taken out of your fall tuition for 2nd year. The field office does not by any stretch of the imagination go out of their way to form connections with sites you may be interested in or provide you with contact information.

The professors are great but the strength of the program just really isn't there in epidemiology and biostatistics. Our biostats book is a social statistics book, the class was laughably easy, and our research methods course is tailored and fine tuned for social workers. The administration is not approachable. Additionally, they advertised a final project but changed the curriculum AFTER we put in our deposits to only require a final exam.

If you are interested in an MSW, the Brown School is well ranked but probably not worth the tuition unless you come from a fortunate financial situation (irony at its finest) and there is no real reason to tack on the MPH as you can take MPH classes as well as a healthcare concentration. If you are interested in administration, try looking at Olin's MBA. If you are interested in epidemiological research, do not go to WUSTL unless you are a clinician in which case look into their population health sciences program.

The school is strong in the following areas and only the following areas: urban design, health communications, potentially policy.

I'm sure in time they will build up the program but please seriously consider your other top choices. For me, Pitt still would not be worth the out of state tuition. Emory would be more expensive but would likely have more part time job opportunities that I would be interested in and would pay better. Columbia would not be worth the tuition. I would consider applying to strong state schools if you do not have unlimited funds for graduate school, since an MPH alone will not yield a high enough salary to justify the debt.

There's my advice, take or leave it. Feel free to ask questions.

Just got an emailed acceptance from Tulane!

Applied 11/11, so there was a really fast turnaround there.

Reactions: 4 users
Just got an emailed acceptance from Tulane!

Applied 11/11, so there was a really fast turnaround there.

I just got my acceptance today too! Congrats!!

Reactions: 1 users
Do you think future employers will give more merit to institutions with schools of public health rather then just institutions that have programs of public health? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Questions for everyone applying through SOPHAS!! I submitted my SOPHAS on Nov 6th and it still hasn't been verified. I know they say it takes up to 4 weeks, but I'm getting really nervous. What has the verification timing been like for you all?

I also can't find my SOPHAS GPA anywhere (I don't think its under manage programs like they say). Do you think there's a problem with my transcripts? Everything's been received by SOPHAS so I don't know what the issue should be. Ahhhh hopefully someone can ease my stress about this lol

Questions for everyone applying through SOPHAS!! I submitted my SOPHAS on Nov 6th and it still hasn't been verified. I know they say it takes up to 4 weeks, but I'm getting really nervous. What has the verification timing been like for you all?

I also can't find my SOPHAS GPA anywhere (I don't think its under manage programs like they say). Do you think there's a problem with my transcripts? Everything's been received by SOPHAS so I don't know what the issue should be. Ahhhh hopefully someone can ease my stress about this lol
I submitted mine on the 8th and it hasn't been verified either. I believe you get the SOPHAS GPA only after its verified. Hopefully we get verified in the next few days!

Members don't see this ad :)

I submitted my SOPHAS app on 11/4 and it just got verified today - exactly 2 weeks later. I'm sure yours will be ready soon!
Also, I think you can only see your SOPHAS GPA after your application is verified. I found mine by searching through my submitted/verified application (which you can download from the "Program Status" part of the "Manage my Programs" section,) and scrolling through the application until I found the GPA breakdown page.

Hope this helps, and good luck to everyone!

Do you think future employers will give more merit to institutions with schools of public health rather then just institutions that have programs of public health? Thanks in advance.
I doubt that matters at all!

Since there seem to be a lot of questions regarding GPA, I just want to confirm with all of you that the application needs to be verified before you receive your final GPA. In fact, the whole verification process is to verify your GPA. Just wanted to clear up the confusion.

I submitted my SOPHAS app on 11/4 and it just got verified today - exactly 2 weeks later. I'm sure yours will be ready soon!
Also, I think you can only see your SOPHAS GPA after your application is verified. I found mine by searching through my submitted/verified application (which you can download from the "Program Status" part of the "Manage my Programs" section,) and scrolling through the application until I found the GPA breakdown page.

Hope this helps, and good luck to everyone!

Thank you so much everyone!! I just worry too much LOL I just got all verified today, also 2 weeks from when I submitted!! And I was able to find my calculated GPA too on the verified apps so yayy. You guys are the best haha. Good luck to everyone!

Quick question--How much to MPH programs care about the GRE writing score? I was very excited to achieve a 5.5 and I'm hoping they at least take that into account (I also have a great GPA).

@periwinkle1612 did you get your transcript professionally entered before submitting to SOPHAS? I submitted 4 days ago but I first have to wait for transcript entry and then verification

Quick question--How much to MPH programs care about the GRE writing score? I was very excited to achieve a 5.5 and I'm hoping they at least take that into account (I also have a great GPA).
From looking at past years' pages, I believe it matters a lot! I have found that people with high writing scores tend to get into better ranked schools. Congrats on your score!

Hi all, quick question:

For schools with a SOPHAS deadline of December 1, do our applications need to submitted by then or verified by that deadline?

Hey y'all!
Guess I should post something instead of lurking every day!

Undergrad School: large public university in Texas
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.22 cumulative/3.52 major
Major/Minor: Health/Sport Management
GradGPA
(if applicable): n/a
Grad Studies (if applicable): n/a
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 156 Q, 158 V, 4.0 AW
Experience/Research (please, be brief):
  • 1 year- Student researcher in the Dept. of Health & Kinesiology researching adolescent leisure time physical activity
    • Student Research Week Award Winner- Health, Kinesiology, Physiology, & Nutrition division
  • 1 year- Hospital Community Health Center Intern
  • Peruvian summer medical mission
  • 2 years- University Health Ambassador
  • Director of the largest student run orientation program in the country
  • Member of 3 SGA committees
  • Student Worker throughout college
Interested in:
Applied: UT-Austin (11/6), UNT (11/9)-
all verified 11/17
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I switched from engineering to health at the end of my sophomore year. I realize my overall GPA is low, but will schools take into account major/upper-level GPA? Any opinions on chances of getting accepted by either of these schools? Thanks guys!

Hi all, quick question:

For schools with a SOPHAS deadline of December 1, do our applications need to submitted by then or verified by that deadline?

I'm wondering the same thing.

Last edited:
Hi all, quick question:

Depends entirely on the school (call and ask/check FAQ on their website!). For many, it needs to be verified by the university's deadline.

Undergrad School: Columbia
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.5 / 3.7
Major/Minor: History / Pre-Med
GradGPA (if applicable): n/a
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 162 Q, 169 V, 4.5 AW
  • 1 year- AmeriCorps with state health authority
  • 1+ year- QI at a managed care organization
  • Undergraduate global and public health experience
Interested in: Health Policy and Management and/or Health Services programs
Applied (verified by SOPHAS 11/18): Boston University, Columbia, Dartmouth, U Colorado, U Minnesota, U Washington, Yale
Accepted: Boston University (12/18), U Minnesota (1/4), Dartmouth (1/19), Columbia (2/11)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Got accepted into UNC's MPH with Leadership Track.

Last edited:
Undergrad School: Small SUNY
Undergrad GPA: 3.55, according to SOPHAS
Major/Minor: Sociology / Ethics and Social Policy double major, minors in Business / Cultural Anthropology / English / Theatre. Hah.
GradGPA: 3.57 (3 out of 5 courses in certificate complete)
Grad Studies: Advanced Certificate in Public Health (the 5 core courses of the MPH, basically)
GRE: 165V(95%)/160Q(78%)/4.5W

Experience/Research:
  • several collegiate academic honor societies
  • 1 year, currently an AmeriCorps National member working on providing healthy housing
  • ~6 months, patient advocacy intern at local hospital
  • ~6 months, victim advocate with a domestic violence hotline / shelter / advocacy organization
  • 1 semester, development intern with a nonprofit working on food equity and justice
  • 3 months, summer school teacher in Granada, Nicaragua
  • 1 year, ESL/BLL tutor with a literacy organization
  • 1 year, community service director for a radio station
1 strong academic reference, 1 from my direct supervisor at my current AmeriCorps position, 1 from our executive director

So basically, a whole lot of fairly unrelated experience that I'm hoping makes me sound impressive when it's all lumped together.

The only science I took in undergrad was an intro level Environmental Science class, and I took intro level biology this past summer at a community college. I took statistics (A) and calc 1 (B+) in undergrad, but got a B+ in biostats in my post-grad, which I'm a little concerned may count against me.

Applied: Oregon MPH Epi (submitted 10/14, verified 11/3), UTexas Austin Campus Epi (submitted 10/18, verified 11/3), University of South Florida Epi & Global Health Practice (11/3), Tulane University MPH Epi (11/11)
Accepted: Tulane (11/17)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Hey, congratulations for your first acceptance. Are you going to tulane? I have also accepted from tulane (epi) along with other 2 schools. 5 is still pending. So, I am totally confused where should I go. Is tulane good enough for epi?

Undergrad School: A Large Public University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.17/2.99
Major/Minor: Biological Sciences B.A
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable):
GRE taken September. V: 161 Q:157 AW: 4.5

~9 months experience in a biopsychology lab
~9 months experience in a public health non-profit as an intern
~ 1 publication resulting from my work in the aforementioned biopsych lab.
~2 months as a tutor at my university
~2 years Public Relations Officer at Toastmasters International branch at my university

I'll admit, I am a bit concerned about getting in anywhere because I didn't become interested in public health until my 2nd year of college. Because of this, I wasn't able to get as much public health experience as I would've liked. Nevertheless, I think everything will work out.

Good Luck Everyone! :thumbup:

Interested in: Epidemiology
Applied (9/30): San Diego State University (Epi.), University of Maryland (Epi.), UCLA (Epi.), UC Irvine (Epi.), UC Berkeley (Epi./Biostat.), Oregon Health and Sciences University (Epi.), Emory (Epi.), GWU (Epi.), Colorado School of Public Health (Epi.)
Accepted: GWU (11/10)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Congratulations.......... I am also accepted from GWU epi. Have you got any merit award package or the acceptance letter only. When will they announce about merit award/scholarship (if they really give any).
How good the GWU mph? I know DC is expensive to live in. Their tution fee is pretty high too. Does it worth in the long run?

Undergrad School: George Mason University (Virginia)
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.28 / 3.57
Major/Minor: Community Health/Biology (took all pre-med classes except chemistry)
Grad Studies (if applicable): taking a graduate Environmental Health course in the spring
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 156 Q, 155 V, 4.0 AW
  • Interned at a public health non-profit for 5 months
  • President of Eta Sigma Gamma National Health Education Honorary
  • Founded Patriots for Public Health student organization
  • Case-writer for the annual GMU Public Health Case Challenge
  • Working on the planning committee for a Model WHO conference
  • Worked as a Nurse's Aid and Infirmary Administrator at a summer camp for 2 months
  • Genetic Mapping Research with the genetics department for 3 months
  • HIV/AIDS in Washington, DC, Alternative Spring Break participant
  • Peer Student Success Coach
  • Special Olympics Coach
My GPA isn't stellar (pre-med classes, bleh) and I don't have research experience, but I have lots of small public health experiences through my university and have great letters of recommendation so I'm hoping that makes the difference!

Interested in: Epidemiology
Applied: Columbia, University of Texas - Houston, GWU, George Mason, and University of South Florida (Epi & Global Communicable Disease dual concentration)
Accepted: USF (1/7), UT-Houston (1/22)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
just got accepted to tulane today! first acceptance whoopeee!

Reactions: 3 users
Undergrad School: McMaster University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.51 /3.65 (SOPHAS)
Major/Minor: Biotechnology
GRE - N/A
GMAT- 650 (V38 Q42)
Experience/Research :
- 4 years at a major multinational pharmaceutical organization
-3 years in Vaccines Quality
-1 year in Vaccines R&D​
- 1 year as a research assistant at a Biotech start-up in bio-fuel production.
Volunteer:
- 4 years working on a public radio broadcasting program (social advocacy)
- 2 years working with a charity that provides aid to an orphanage in Africa
Interested in: (MPH/MBA) Johns Hopkins, Boston University, Emory
Applied: Johns Hopkins (11/26)

It appears that my interests (Strategic Development and Sustainable Financing in Global Health Organizations) and background are much different than most applicants. I hope not having traditional public health experience won't be too detrimental.

Are my schools realistic?
Is anyone else interested in MPH/MBA? Or know of any other schools I should consider?

Best of Luck to you all!

Last edited:
Accepted into Pitt's Behavioral and Community Health Sciences department! Short email with a letter to follow.
Wow!! That was fast! I got a reply back from BU and Dartmouth so far saying my app was under review. Any other notification from schools from anyone?

Undergrad School: Mid-Tier Private; FL
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 2.9/3.4
Major/Minor: International Relations/Biochemistry
GRE - 152Q, 159V, 5.0 AW
Experience/Research :

- 2 years research studying developmental disorders and behavioral markers
- Founded an on campus org. to reduce plastic consumption and its environmental health effects
- 2 years work experience working on social justice issues
- Provided consultation services, compiling and interpreting epidemiological data for a water purification project in Namibia

Applied: MPH - Columbia (epi), U Miami, U Florida, U South Florida, Yale, Mt. Sinai, Tulane, GW; SM 80- Harvard
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Chances?

Undergrad School: University of California, San Diego
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.19 (Junior/Senior GPA 3.53)
Major/Minor: Double major: Biology, Public Health
GRE (10/21) Q: 150 V: 150 AWA: 4.5 or Other Test (if applicable):
(4.5 years): Lab assistant for a biology lab
(2.5 years): Clinical intern in physical therapy clinic and hospital setting
(1 year): Student Health Education Org
(6 months, ongoing): Health educator research assistant for state university, alcohol and other drugs, deliver interventions, collect data
(3 months): Skill building intern-Health and wellness center for a charter school
(3 months): Undergrad research volunteer weight control, work with underserved population

Interested in: Columbia, San Diego State University, Loma Linda University
Applied: UCLA-community health sciences (11/17), UC Berkeley-PH Nutrition (11/18), U of Michigan (Health Behavior and Health Ed),
Accepted: UCLA + 10K (2/2) , UC Berkeley (2/4)+Two-year Dean's Diversity Full Fellowship (2/19) , University of Michigan (1/22)
Rejected: Columbia (2/16)
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Feeling great because my last recommender submitted to SOPHAS today, and I checked in to see my applications have all been verified! :soexcited:A week's turnaround ain't bad.

Happy holiday weekend to everyone in the States. :)

Guys, I'm screwed, my recommenders haven't submitted and SOPHAS won't even let me enter all my responses, like it won't let me "save responses" for mandatory questions. Is there any way I'll be ok for December 1st?

Feeling great because my last recommender submitted to SOPHAS today, and I checked in to see my applications have all been verified! :soexcited:A week's turnaround ain't bad.

Happy holiday weekend to everyone in the States. :)

I was frustrated after reading this because I submitted my application 3 weeks ago and it still wasn't verified on Monday. Just checked now and it is verified. Woohoo!

Congrats on the verification! I'm still waiting on mine (submitted 11/19). Hopefully CyberMonday doesn't delay verification for those of us with 12/1 priority deadlines! :)

Undergrad School: University of Maryland School of Nursing and UMBC
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA:
4.00 pre-reqs , 3.83 Nursing School
Major/Minor: BS Nursing
GRE 163 Q, 168 V, 4.5 AW
  • 2+ years nursing on medical-surgical/oncology acute care floors
  • Completed Evidence Based Practice project/presentation and created a simple research project on my unit; presented at conferences
  • Worked as a travel health nurse and Nurse Manager at a clinic that provided consultations, immunizations and medications for international travelers
  • A little bit of related volunteering
I am a little worried about my academic LOR since it has been 6 years since I was in school..it might be a bit generic. Hoping professional will be better!

Also screwed up with the whole deadline for submission vs verification with SOPHAS for a couple schools. Should mostly be okay, but may have lost my change with UC Berkeley. Oops!

Interested in: Environmental Health/Epidemiology
Applied: Emory MSPH Environmental Epi; JHSPH MPH; UNC Chapel Hill MSPH Environmental Sciences and Engineering; U of Washington MPH Environmental Health; UC Berkeley MS Global Health and the Environment; U of Michigan Environmental Health/Epidemiology
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Congrats on the verification! I'm still waiting on mine (submitted 11/19). Hopefully CyberMonday doesn't delay verification for those of us with 12/1 priority deadlines! :)

Wow! That's surprising to me - I submitted on Monday and was verified by Thursday. No idea how they figure out the order of that.

Undergrad School: Khulna University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA:
Major/Minor: Pharmaceutical Science
GRE 163 Q, 157 V, 3 AW, TOEFL 106
Experience/Research (please, be brief): Cancer project - Pharmacological effect of a plant on mice (one year project)
Anti-allergic, Anti-psychotic effect evaluation of a plant (undergrad project)

Interested in: Epidemiology or Social & Behavioral Science or Public Health Policy & Administation
Applied: Still blank, need some suggestions please!!!!
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

So is no one else having trouble with Columbia SOPHAS?

So is no one else having trouble with Columbia SOPHAS?

Hi! I'm not sure what you've tried, but you can't save the responses unless you've answered or filled in at least a placeholder for all mandatory questions. I'm applying for the December 1st priority deadline as well and just did that part, still need to finish up the personal statement though! As far as I understand, as long as you can get two references in by Tuesday you'll still be in the priority deadline group, otherwise probably will have to just apply by January 15 :(

Undergrad School: University of Maryland School of Nursing and UMBC
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA:
4.00 pre-reqs , 3.83 Nursing School
Major/Minor: BS Nursing
GRE 163 Q, 168 V, 4.5 AW
  • 2+ years nursing on medical-surgical/oncology acute care floors
  • Completed Evidence Based Practice project/presentation and created a simple research project on my unit; presented at conferences
  • Worked as a travel health nurse and Nurse Manager at a clinic that provided consultations, immunizations and medications for international travelers
  • A little bit of related volunteering
I am a little worried about my academic LOR since it has been 6 years since I was in school..it might be a bit generic. Hoping professional will be better!

Also screwed up with the whole deadline for submission vs verification with SOPHAS for a couple schools. Should mostly be okay, but may have lost my change with UC Berkeley. Oops!

Interested in: Environmental Health/Epidemiology
Applied: Emory MSPH Environmental Epi; JHSPH MPH; UNC Chapel Hill MSPH Environmental Sciences and Engineering; U of Washington MPH Environmental Health; UC Berkeley MS Global Health and the Environment; U of Michigan Environmental Health/Epidemiology
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

You have some stellar qualifications! I doubt an older academic rec letter will hurt you.

As far as your chances with Berkeley, their admissions site says that they will not penalize you for submitting it (not having it verified) on December 1:

"Due to the processing time at SOPHAS we strongly recommend submitting your application to SOPHAS by early November. Late applications will not be considered under any circumstances. We recommend starting early and submitting by early November to compensate for the processing time at SOPHAS and avoid any potential technical difficulties that may arise. But with this in mind, please note that there are no penalties for submitting your application to SOPHAS on December 1."

So I hope you're good! :)

Hi! I'm not sure what you've tried, but you can't save the responses unless you've answered or filled in at least a placeholder for all mandatory questions. I'm applying for the December 1st priority deadline as well and just did that part, still need to finish up the personal statement though! As far as I understand, as long as you can get two references in by Tuesday you'll still be in the priority deadline group, otherwise probably will have to just apply by January 15 :(

Like ljt913 said, you can't save it unless something is entered into each of the fields. My strategy was answering all the multiple choice questions (making notes of any that I might need to change later) and entering "???" in the text fields I wasn't ready to complete. That way, it let me save the things I *did* have completed. Hope this helps!

I received a confirmation from Emory saying they had received my application, but no OPUS login. The confirmation email says to email SPH admissions to designate second and third choice programs, but the application information says this should be done through OPUS.

Has anyone received anything further from them clarifying this?