MSU-COM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
cool zoey we might see you then,, goodluck.
what r u going to do in this one year off?

I have no clue

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to MSUCOM too....I applied too late last year and the counselor told me that was the biggest problem. Hopefully I can apply for the urban setting since I live in detroit right now and volunteer at the childerens hospital ER. Hopefully I get in! My undergrad science GPA is a 3.0 but my grad science GPA is a 3.7. Does anyone know how that works? will they consider both or see the improvement as well? I also have a 29 on the mcat so I wont have to worry about that.....hopefully :oops:)

I applied to MSUCOM too....I applied too late last year and the counselor told me that was the biggest problem. Hopefully I can apply for the urban setting since I live in detroit right now and volunteer at the childerens hospital ER. Hopefully I get in! My undergrad science GPA is a 3.0 but my grad science GPA is a 3.7. Does anyone know how that works? will they consider both or see the improvement as well? I also have a 29 on the mcat so I wont have to worry about that.....hopefully :oops:)

Did they put you on the waitlist with admission for next year? I think most med schools look at both GPAs and would consider that a good improvement. Plus, you have a good Mcat score. I spoke with the assistant dean of admissions at WSUCOM (which I was rejected from), and he told me not to take masters classes because my undergrad GPA was high. So, I suppose if you needed to increase your GPA taking masters classes and doing well would look good to the school. It shows you are dedicated and are proving that you can do well (although a undergrad science GPA of 3.0 is not terrible)...at least this is what I was told.

Members don't see this ad :)

Applying early is huge. I don't know for sure but I know they like increasing GPA trends. 29 is within their range of an "ideal applicant" but it's hard to evaluate any single person because the applicant pool is expected to be much more competitive this cycle. Good luck to you!

I've been to the MSUCOM web page but haven't seen a download of their secondary. Where might I find it? Thanks

Hey Everyone ... I got a head start on applying since AACOMAS opened in May. I just turned in AACOMAS recently, so it's processing as we speak. IN the mean-time, I've begun to take a look at the MSU-COM Secondary ... it's a beast!!! Wow - details galore, and it's length is not for the faint of heart.

But who cares ... I know it's worth it. I'm applying to their DO/PhD program too, so I want to get my stuff in ASAP since my app is even more convoluted!!! haha

Any thoughts anyone - about the Secondary and their views on applying to MSU-COM?

What are you going to write about for your Secondary essay prompt? (it asks to describe a hairy moral/ethical dilemma and how you thought about it, then resolved it, all on one page).

Anyway ... just wanted to say hello to my fellow applicants and form our little Pre-Medolics Anonymous group to cope with the stress of applying!

Cheers!

I have similar undergrad and grad stats and I got accepted to the class of 2012. My undergrad gpa had an upward trend; they probably look at that too. My MCAT was high, 33. Good luck!

I :love: msucom. i was reading the c/o 2008 page and read all about the procedures to test out of medical biochem and molecular bio/genetics.

http://www.bch.msu.edu/courses/514/bch514XM.htm
here are some practice exams...theyre not bad! 30/32 on exam 1 from 07 :cool:

any word on secondary? probably not yet...

I :love: msucom. i was reading the c/o 2008 page and read all about the procedures to test out of medical biochem and molecular bio/genetics.

http://www.bch.msu.edu/courses/514/bch514XM.htm
here are some practice exams...theyre not bad! 30/32 on exam 1 from 07 :cool:

any word on secondary? probably not yet...

Hey Michigantint COOL ... i looked at them too, and they dont seem that hard..I hope ur MCAT studying is going well . I dont know when ur taking MCAT or how u studying for it, but GOODluck, HOPEFULLY ILL SEE u and evryone here at MSUCOM for the class of 2013...lETS just HOPE WE GET IN THIS year.:D we will BEEEEEEE SPARTANSSSSSSSSS:cool:

2 things:
1. Bump
2. It's been quiet on this thread. I hope you're all studying hard. And having a good day. :hardy:

Thanks for posting that info about testing out. Since I'll be wasting another year (unless by some miracle I get off the waitlist Monday), I'm going to try it. I also need to make a lot of money...anyone have ideas? I feel for you guys studing, hopefully it will pay off soon!

In terms of dollars per minutes spent, robbing a bank is your best bet.

I'm pulling for ya!!!!! Keep us updated!

Thanks for posting that info about testing out. Since I'll be wasting another year (unless by some miracle I get off the waitlist Monday), I'm going to try it. I also need to make a lot of money...anyone have ideas? I feel for you guys studing, hopefully it will pay off soon!

Heyyy Zoeyy

From what i understand is that u will be attending MSUCOM next year for sure unless u get off the waitlist by monday. My advise to u is to work that year and save as much money as u can. You need all the money in the world to pay for medical school and ofcourse rent. Try to work at a clinic if u can (if u know a doctor that would hire u for a year). But honestly i wouldnt be that picky. Botton line,,, work alot and save money for MSUCOM. That is just my simple advise...

I do have a question though:

So if someone is waitlisted and doesnt get in this year, does that mean he/she have a seat secured for next year? I dont understand how the waitlist process works, if u can shed light on it please? If thats not the case, then how do u know that u will have a seat next year?

Good luck to u always...:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Heyyy Zoeyy

From what i understand is that u will be attending MSUCOM next year for sure unless u get off the waitlist by monday. My advise to u is to work that year and save as much money as u can. You need all the money in the world to pay for medical school and ofcourse rent. Try to work at a clinic if u can (if u know a doctor that would hire u for a year). But honestly i wouldnt be that picky. Botton line,,, work alot and save money for MSUCOM. That is just my simple advise...

I do have a question though:

So if someone is waitlisted and doesnt get in this year, does that mean he/she have a seat secured for next year? I dont understand how the waitlist process works, if u can shed light on it please? If thats not the case, then how do u know that u will have a seat next year?

Good luck to u always...:thumbup:

Hey there! In terms of the waitlist, not everyone gets a secured seat for the next year. There are two waitlists, the high waitlist, the one I'm on, gives applicants a seat for next year if they don't get off the list and the other list does not. I believe the high waitlist is about the top 1/3 of both lists combined. Some years all people get off this high waitlist, and some years it doesn't move much. Students who are waitlisted get an additional e-mail letting them know if they get a spot for next year. If you apply early enough, you shouldn't have to worry about this; you'll get into class of 2013. So apply early!!!!!

I will try to make as much money as possible. I already work at a really good hospital, so I have a lot of experience in that area, but it doesn't pay much. It's hard to make any money working for people. I had a full paid scholarship for undergrad so there's no debt, and I have enough money to cover a year of living expences. I guess more is always good, though.

MichiganEMTInt thanks for pulling for me. Robbing a bank is a good idea, but then if I get caught there goes my medical career. But if you want to come with me I'll split everything right down the middle.

I need to get a life....I keep checking these forums and not doing what I'm supposed to do. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Some schools have begun sending out secondaries...any clue when msucom starts this?

No idea. But even more than the secondary essays are the evaluation "forms" I'd like to get. Since many of us havent been AACOMAS verified yet we can't exactly email MSUCOM and say "where can I get the eval forms? I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a secondary..." :(

Hey, these were the forms from last year. The secondary questions may change, but the eval form is probably similar - just to get an idea of what may be to come. If you haven't already found two people to write your eval forms, I would suggest doing so asap since they take a while to do.

http://www.com.msu.edu/admissions/adm.sec.app/

Let me know if this doesn't work. :)

Last edited:
No idea. But even more than the secondary essays are the evaluation "forms" I'd like to get. Since many of us havent been AACOMAS verified yet we can't exactly email MSUCOM and say "where can I get the eval forms? I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a secondary..." :(

See I'm not sure people aren't verified. People whose AACOMAS status has not changed from "submitted" have gotten secondaries from other schools. I know orientation started for the new class just recently, which may delay the release of secondary apps. Eh..who knows?

Patience is a virtue.

Hi All! I have decided to withdraw my application for MSUCOM for 2009 and attend WSUSOM this August. I weighed both possibilities carefully and I decided staying in Detroit and not being lazy for a year is the best decision. I wish you all the best of luck with admissions and may see some of you in Detroit in 2009!!!!

Hi All! I have decided to withdraw my application for MSUCOM for 2009 and attend WSUSOM this August. I weighed both possibilities carefully and I decided staying in Detroit and not being lazy for a year is the best decision. I wish you all the best of luck with admissions and may see some of you in Detroit in 2009!!!!

Congrats and best of luck to you!!! WSUSOM is a great school. :)

I would have done exactly the same if i was in your situation. WSUSOM is a great school, and im hoping i will get in there as well. I really want stay in michigan, so wsusom and msucom AND MSU (MD SCHOOL) are my top choices. Congrats on your acceptance there, and im sure you will be a great doctor. CONGRATS BUDDY, U DESERVED IT...:) stay in touch and tell us how medical school is like.. GOODLUCK..

My friend send me via email those jokes, and i wanted to share them with u guys.. i know u guys are studying hard --have a laugh. I hope u guys like them..

1)
Patient:Doctor,I feel so sick I want to die!
Doctor: Don't worry, Just leave that job to me.

2)
"Doctor I keep stealing things. What can I do?"
"Try to resist the temptation but if you can't, get me a new television"

3)
Patient:Why does everyone ignore me?
Doctor:Next Please!!!!!!

4)
patient:hungover:octor,i've lost my memory.
doctor:when did this happen?
patient:when did what happen?

5)
Lady over the phone:Doctor,what can I do?My little boy has swallowed my pen?
Doctor:Use a pencil till I come.

6)
Patient:Doctor my nose is running.
Doctor:Go chase it.

7)
once a man goes to a doctor and says that when i touch my head i get pain and when i touch anywhere in my body with my index finger i get pain doctor said "you stupid you have pain in your finger".

8)
Lady to the doctor over the phone. “ Doctor, I beg of you, please prescribe me something immediately to reduce my weight. My husband has given me a wonderful birthday present, and I can’t get into it. “ Doctor:” Just come over here tomorrow, and I shall give you a prescription. Then you will soon be able to wear your wonderful new dress.” Lady: “ Who said anything about a dress? I am talking of car.”

I though number
2,3,4,5, and 7
where really funny..:laugh:

Thanks for the posts guys!! I'm sure you will all do fine this admissions cycle. I will keep in touch and pass on any info about MSUCOM expansion that I catch at Wayne.

You're exactly right about being looked down upon if you call and ask that. It would seem as though you were arrogant and expecting a secondary. However, since I committed to WSU, I had nothing to lose and called yesterday!! The lady I spoke to said no secondaries will go out until at least after July 1 (which, since it was June 26th and no one has received one yet, you could probably figure that out). She explained that the committee does not expect to review any completed secondaries until AT LEAST August 1. She also told me that the secondary forms and essays are changing, and to not disperse my recommendation forms until I receive the new link to the secondary. The school is more worried about orientation and convocation (which was today) for the class of 2012 right now than they are about 2013 hopefuls. Hopefully this will change after the holiday next week and things will start to get moving for you all.

I hope this helps some of you out!!!

@ Cardinal:

The MSU-COM Admissions Office is remaining tight-lipped about the new Secondary for some bizarre reason.

No one I know who is applying and has even submitted earlier than me (I submitted June 3rd) has received a Secondary yet.

There is an old link posted here under which you can find the OLD (last year's) secondary easily on this very thread by scrolling; if you're too lazy, here it is:

http://com.msu.edu/admissions/adm.sec.app/

I WARN you - do not under any circumstances turn in a secondary using the forms on this link. They'll throw it all away. We have to sit and wait for the new one to enter our MSU-COMsciousness. lolol :laugh:

I've been to the MSUCOM web page but haven't seen a download of their secondary. Where might I find it? Thanks

aacomas/transcripts were in on 5/19 and still no MSU love :(

Whoever gets them - post please!!!! :D Thanks...anybody else working on KCOM secondary? Have a great sunday!

MSU is my DREAM school. I would be so ecstatic if I got in. I'll probably be awake from the moment (if) I get my secondary to the moment it's complete. Any other Michiganders here (probably most of us, since OOS tuition is so ridiculous) or people with MSU on the top of their list?

MSU is my DREAM school. I would be so ecstatic if I got in. I'll probably be awake from the moment (if) I get my secondary to the moment it's complete. Any other Michiganders here (probably most of us, since OOS tuition is so ridiculous) or people with MSU on the top of their list?

MSU is my #1 as well! :thumbup:
And from Michigan! Hope to see you around this thread a lot and in c/o 2013!

Go Green! Good luck everyone.

DEFINITELY!!!!! Also for the eval forms: I just called the admissions office and she said you have to print out page 2, sign it (and your evaluator has to sign it) then you can type the rest if you want or you can write it. Get them in quickly!!! Apparently they are already evaluating secondaries! Keep everyone updated & good luck!!!

Uh oh I didn't get mine this morning...

got the secondary this morning!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.com.msu.edu/admissions/adm.sec.app/

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! :D:D

Thanks alot for the link.. i still havent recieved my secondaries:(, i submitted my primaries second week of june, so i think i should wait another week or so. Studying for the MCAT really sucks lol. But i will start on the sec early. I hope we will be in teh same class togther and kick **ss on every exam...:luck:

DEFINITELY!!!!! Also for the eval forms: I just called the admissions office and she said you have to print out page 2, sign it (and your evaluator has to sign it) then you can type the rest if you want or you can write it. Get them in quickly!!! Apparently they are already evaluating secondaries! Keep everyone updated & good luck!!!

Based from what ive seen from previous forms ---msucom start the first acceptance process by the first week of sept (sept 7).. That wass from what i seen last year. The earliest that one noted that got accepted at msu was sept 7 last year. :luck: i dont know if it would be the same this year.

Michigan emt-when was your app submitted to MSU?

I called aacomas and they said mine was sent out sometime last week?

Based from what ive seen from previous forms ---msucom start the first acceptance process by the first week of sept (sept 7).. That wass from what i seen last year. The earliest that one noted that got accepted at msu was sept 7 last year. :luck: i dont know if it would be the same this year.

Haha, that was me! I was the first person to report an acceptance, I'm pretty sure it was September 5. When I called they said I was in the first batch they gave out, and that they don't start reviewing secondaries until the end of August, so don't stress out too much about getting it in within a few days. If MSUCOM is really your first choice, put the effort into their secondary since they don't interview. That piece of paper is really your time to shine! If anyone has any questions, please feel free to post them here or PM me! I did (most of) my undergrad at MSU, and was accepted for this year's entering class (although I declined to attend Buffalo instead). I'd be more than happy to help out!

Sorry...meany UBuffalo. Im a *****, especially having lived in New York for 11 years :D

You should get MSU secondary any day now.
AACOMAS submitted 5/19
AACOMAS transcripts received 5/22
AACOMAS application verified ~ 6/26 (although it was earlier than this by about a week...I never got an email and after emailing them they said it was verified the previous week and sent out to schools)

so much to do!!!!!!

Same with me. I submitted May 15, was complete May 27, and was verified around June 26th. I received the MSU secondary yesterday.

For the "record of non-academic experiences" form-

Are we supposed to include DESCRIPTIONS (not a word or two summarizing our "duties/responsibilities" on this sheet? It says we can construct our responses on separate sheets following the format given...does that mean everything has to be in columns like on the sheet? Do they expect us to type descriptions when we'll have virtually no room if we use these columns? I don't understand this at all. Help?

For the "record of non-academic experiences" form-

Are we supposed to include DESCRIPTIONS (not a word or two summarizing our "duties/responsibilities" on this sheet? It says we can construct our responses on separate sheets following the format given...does that mean everything has to be in columns like on the sheet? Do they expect us to type descriptions when we'll have virtually no room if we use these columns? I don't understand this at all. Help?

If I can remember correctly, I did use the format given to us, meaning using columns. I did take up several pages using this format, though. My "duties/responsibilities" weren't too too detailed...maybe a few sentences. Just enough to give a good idea of what I did. In my primary application, I gave very detailed responses to most activities, so didn't repeat on the secondary. I was a bit more detailed with info that wasn't on my primary..like the high school activities. I didn't have a record from high school of my activities/hours, so tried to be as accurate as possible. If you have any more questions let me know, or I can look at yours if you'd like. I know what a pain this part of the secondary can be, and I'm so glad I don't have to do it again!

If I can remember correctly, I did use the format given to us, meaning using columns. I did take up several pages using this format, though. My "duties/responsibilities" weren't too too detailed...maybe a few sentences. Just enough to give a good idea of what I did. In my primary application, I gave very detailed responses to most activities, so didn't repeat on the secondary. I was a bit more detailed with info that wasn't on my primary..like the high school activities. I didn't have a record from high school of my activities/hours, so tried to be as accurate as possible. If you have any more questions let me know, or I can look at yours if you'd like. I know what a pain this part of the secondary can be, and I'm so glad I don't have to do it again!

Thanks zoey. A c/o 2012 friend of mine emailed me her secondary and for some reason they didn't have to indicate the "cumulative hours" spent on each activity. Either that or she just didn't do it. Thanks for the advice! I finished the essay yesterday (TG it's only one essay....phew) and I don't know how I feel about it yet. Did other people who got the secondary get a "deadline"?

Recieved my First secondaries yesterday (saturday) from two MD schools:). I guess i been verfied thro amcas. IM still waiting :(on the msu secodaries thro aacomos(not sure if i been verfied yet with them-ill call monday to find out).:luck: goodlucl everyone.

GoodLuck...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.