MSU-COM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I believe August...first acceptances should go out early September

So is it too late if I submit my primary right now near the end of August?

Members don't see this ad.

So is anybody having any beef with the requirement of the evaluation forms? I'm afraid I might have to throw in the towel on MSU due to the infeasability of aquiring evals this late in the game. should have researched it sooner.

damn unconventional schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
So is anybody having any beef with the requirement of the evaluation forms? I'm afraid I might have to throw in the towel on MSU due to the infeasability of aquiring evals this late in the game. should have researched it sooner.

damn unconventional schools.

This application took the longest to become complete due to the evaluation forms, and MSU will not budge on any exceptions.

"Pay special attention to the evaluation form instructions. We require two completed forms, per the instructions. We do not waive this requirement. If you are unable to find two individuals to complete forms for you, you will be unable to complete your MSUCOM application."

#18...http://www.com.msu.edu/admissions/APP.NUTS.AND.BOLTS.html

Yeah, I'm throwing this secondary in the trash mainly b/c of these eval forms. I have 5 LOR's sitting in my file and can't use any of them, I don't feel like going back to my writers and asking them to fill more paper work out. Good luck to the rest of you.

No not at all.

For MSUCOM, this is very late. Verification is going to take a good 6 weeks, and they want everything in by September. This is not my opinion, this is what they have personally told me during a meeting.

I am a re-applicant this year because I was waitlisted and later denied at MSU-COM for the 2009 cycle. MSU-COM had all my required documents in by August 5th. I met with the adviser, and I strengthened everything weak in my application besides my lower-end MCAT of 24.

How long should I expect to hear back? I didn't hear back until March last year, but I didn't finish my app until October either. I am very nervous because this is the only school I wish to go to.

Words of comfort, anyone?

Not sure if this is available anywhere, but I thought I'd post it.

Here is the class of 2013 profile:

Applications
Total Applicants 3,455
Class Size 315

Female/Male Ratio
Females 152
Males 163

Age Distribution
Youngest 20
Oldest 48
Average Age 24

Academic Qualifications
MCAT Average 8.80
GPA 3.57

Residency of Matriculants
Michigan Residents 292
Out-of-State 23

I am a re-applicant this year because I was waitlisted and later denied at MSU-COM for the 2009 cycle. MSU-COM had all my required documents in by August 5th. I met with the adviser, and I strengthened everything weak in my application besides my lower-end MCAT of 24.

How long should I expect to hear back? I didn't hear back until March last year, but I didn't finish my app until October either. I am very nervous because this is the only school I wish to go to.

Words of comfort, anyone?

Don't worry about the lower MCAT, they seem to be able to look past an MCAT score and evaluate applicants as a whole. So, if you have a strong application otherwise, just sit back and wait for the good news (especially considering you got waitlisted last year, and have since improved your application).

Don't worry about the lower MCAT, they seem to be able to look past an MCAT score and evaluate applicants as a whole. So, if you have a strong application otherwise, just sit back and wait for the good news (especially considering you got waitlisted last year, and have since improved your application).

Yes, MSUCOM doesn't hold a lot of weight with the MCAT. As long as you have gotten an 8 or better in each of the categories. I have been told that volunteer work and science GPA is what they consider to be most important. But hey, I am in the same position as you, I was waitlisted last year and I am hoping to get in this year with improvements to my application!

Yes, MSUCOM doesn't hold a lot of weight with the MCAT. As long as you have gotten an 8 or better in each of the categories. I have been told that volunteer work and science GPA is what they consider to be most important. But hey, I am in the same position as you, I was waitlisted last year and I am hoping to get in this year with improvements to my application!

Thanks guys. Let's hope for the best for us!

For MSUCOM, this is very late. Verification is going to take a good 6 weeks, and they want everything in by September. This is not my opinion, this is what they have personally told me during a meeting.

Well my experience dosn't support this but whatever, if people dont want to apply then that's their choice. The evals are hard and weird, but I know people complete after Sept. last year and got in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well my experience dosn't support this but whatever, if people dont want to apply then that's their choice. The evals are hard and weird, but I know people complete after Sept. last year and got in.

People definitely get in that have their application complete after Sept. I have seen it all the time on these threads. Actually, a friend of mine got in and he was complete in Oct! So, it all depends on the strength of your application and how familiar they are with you.

Yeah if you want to go here dont let the dates deter you!

Well that's fine, but it's certainly to your advantage to get it in as soon as possible.

I still have not received the secondary from MSUCOM. I was verified in mid-July by AACOMAS. Has anyone else not received it yet? Should i call them and ask what's wrong?

I still have not received the secondary from MSUCOM. I was verified in mid-July by AACOMAS. Has anyone else not received it yet? Should i call them and ask what's wrong?

Did you meet the cutoffs?

I just thought about this... I was complete August 5th with my secondary. But on my primary, I indicated that I planned on retaking the MCAT, which I did, but I dont want to release my latest scores to aacomas. Will MSU-COM wait for these scores or go along with my old ones, which meet their cutoffs?

i wish i checked their oos tuition before i paid for a primary to this place. $64,000 a year for oos? that's obnoxious.

Not sure if this is available anywhere, but I thought I'd post it.

Here is the class of 2013 profile:

Applications
Total Applicants 3,455
Class Size 315

Female/Male Ratio
Females 152
Males 163

Age Distribution
Youngest 20
Oldest 48
Average Age 24

Academic Qualifications
MCAT Average 8.80
GPA 3.57

Residency of Matriculants
Michigan Residents 292
Out-of-State 23

surprised they have any oo-staters at all. i cant get over 64 large a year.

surprised they have any oo-staters at all. i cant get over 64 large a year.

There was a post about OOS tuition for MSU and supposedly if an OOS attends the school gives them a number of grants that knock the tuition down somewhat.

This may not be true but would be interesting if a current OOS MSU student could post on here about it. It wouldnt surprise me since many times grant money is given by the federal governement, so the school charges huge OOS tuition because it knows it will get its money anyway, even if a lot is not from the student.

Yeah, I'm throwing this secondary in the trash mainly b/c of these eval forms. I have 5 LOR's sitting in my file and can't use any of them, I don't feel like going back to my writers and asking them to fill more paper work out. Good luck to the rest of you.

woooooooooooorrrrrd

I just thought about this... I was complete August 5th with my secondary. But on my primary, I indicated that I planned on retaking the MCAT, which I did, but I dont want to release my latest scores to aacomas. Will MSU-COM wait for these scores or go along with my old ones, which meet their cutoffs?

bump

AACOMAS is different from AMCAS where as if you take an MCAT, AMCAS automatically gets it. AACOMAS must be forwarded the score from AAMC. So if you bombed your retake, just don't talk about it. If asked be like "I don't wish to include my MCAT score retake in my evulation as a potential medical school candidate."

i'm just now beginning to finish this secondary and completly ignored the 60k a year tuition, wtf? that is just ridiculous, looks like MSU is gonna be a no go for me

i'm just now beginning to finish this secondary and completly ignored the 60k a year tuition, wtf? that is just ridiculous, looks like MSU is gonna be a no go for me

actually with fees its more like 65k a year, sans living expenses.

Hey, I am sure this has been brought up, but you can use more than one experience with the essay right?

Hey, I am sure this has been brought up, but you can use more than one experience with the essay right?

If you can package your multiple experiences into one very coherent essay, then, absolutely, touch on all of them.

Good luck!

If you can package your multiple experiences into one very coherent essay, then, absolutely, touch on all of them.

Good luck!

Sounds good, I have 2 experiences within the past year so I was going to say my experience was this whole past year.

And Thank you!

Potentially less than one week away from the first round of acceptances going out?

Anyone else anxiously awaiting next Wednesday?

for the essay question, it says describe a personal experience OR ethical challenge...so my personal experience doesnt have to be an ethical challenge right?

Potentially less than one week away from the first round of acceptances going out?

Anxiously waiting is almost an understatement... When were you complete? I was complete on August 5th.

Why do you think it will be that soon already? That seems really early to send them out even though this school doesn't interview much. I figured not until after the holiday weekend.

Why do you think it will be that soon already? That seems really early to send them out even though this school doesn't interview much. I figured not until after the holiday weekend.

This was based on last year's thread when posts began popping up on Sept 3rd--the first Wednesday in September. There were a substantial number of posts detailing acceptances.

September 2nd is the tentative date in my mind.

Of course, you could be right and this year is going to take longer because of the holiday being so late.

Last edited:
Anxiously waiting is almost an understatement... When were you complete? I was complete on August 5th.

I was also complete on August 5th. All of my materials were in at the end of July, but one of my evaluators did not sign the last page. I had to mail the evaluator a new page and, in turn, have them mail it to MSU-COM.

Pretty relieved it all got there, though...

I talked with Terri Cregg a week ago, they are not going to start reviewing files till the second week of September. So, I think the earliest acceptance would be the 3rd week Wednesday.:(

I talked with Terri Cregg a week ago, they are not going to start reviewing files till the second week of September. So, I think the earliest acceptance would be the 3rd week Wednesday.:(

Right, they generally use the first Tuesday in september to get situated and only start reviewing the 2nd week. Although they still have not received one of my evaluators letters so I kind of like that. I want to have everything in before they start reviewing!

How come you can't simply just send in your LOR's?

Do they send out complete e-mails when they have received all of your application materials?

For their secondary where we record all of our hours doing extracurricular/volunteering....where do i put teaching assistant at a university and research? I put if under extracurricular activities first...but then saw the "academic activities" section. But under THAT section, it says to include research poster presentations, any fellowships etc. I didn't have any publications or presentations...i just assisted graduate students with research. Where should that go then?

For their secondary where we record all of our hours doing extracurricular/volunteering....where do i put teaching assistant at a university and research? I put if under extracurricular activities first...but then saw the "academic activities" section. But under THAT section, it says to include research poster presentations, any fellowships etc. I didn't have any publications or presentations...i just assisted graduate students with research. Where should that go then?

I believe my TA job was listed under paid employment...

Put it under the academic activities at the very bottom. I was in the same situation. Now if you started getting paid to work in the lab, put that time frame in the work part obviously.

Hey, do y'all think that I would qualify for instate tuition? I'm technically a texas resident, but I did my undergrad at University of Michigan and am currently working in Michigan.