MSU-COM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Especially since people complete in December have already heard back...

They heard back already because they were deemed to be more competitive than you. It isn't a first come, first serve system.

The good news is, the high-wait list isn't even full yet. The bad news is, you may be waiting for another 4-5 months.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been wait-listed :(
How do you know if you're high waitlist or not? I got an email saying I'm waitlisted, and that I can visit, decline to visit, or just withdraw my application altogether. Of course, I'm going to go visit on January 27th. But I'm just wondering what this high waitlist thing is, and how you know where you are in general.

How do you know if you're high waitlist or not? I got an email saying I'm waitlisted, and that I can visit, decline to visit, or just withdraw my application altogether. Of course, I'm going to go visit on January 27th. But I'm just wondering what this high waitlist thing is, and how you know where you are in general.

sorry to hear that koshka :( but a waitlist is better than a rejection! mind if i ask what your stats were/when you were complete?

sidenote - totally just responded to 2 of your posts in a row hahaha

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry to hear that koshka :( but a waitlist is better than a rejection! mind if i ask what your stats were/when you were complete?

sidenote - totally just responded to 2 of your posts in a row hahaha

Yea, I guess maybe they want me to fight for it.

I completed my app 11/29. One of my professors sent his LOE really late :(
I don't know what my GPA is by the D.O calculations. My University puts my cumulative GPA at ~3.15, I think AACOMAS calculated a 3.4 or something, but once again, I don't remember.
31T on my MCAT.

Thanks for replying to my posts! I literally just made my account tonight, so this is great. And I really like your username. FYI, "Koshka" means cat (female) in Russian :)

I don't know what my GPA is by the D.O calculations. My University puts my cumulative GPA at ~3.15, I think AACOMAS calculated a 3.4 or something, but once again, I don't remember.
31T on my MCAT.

Thanks for replying to my posts! I literally just made my account tonight, so this is great. And I really like your username. FYI, "Koshka" means cat (female) in Russian :)

1. Didn't know that and love the name idea!
2. Same here with the letter - I should have been done in October but one of my writers was being super slow - he ended up taking so long I asked someone else that sent it in for me in 3 days! Wasn't complete till December 5th because of it :(

31T on my MCAT.

At least you heard back from them and a wait list is better than a rejection

I've been complete since early Sept/late Oct. and my stats are 3.2cGPA/3.1sGPA with a 32Q. I have yet to hear a peep.

You know if you're on the high waitlist if you have been offered admission to the class of 2017 in the event that you are not called up for this year's class. You would not have to reapply. You would have recieved this email along with the notification of being put on the waitlist.

Just curious, what kind of EC's do you have? You have an MCAT score above average and a decent GPA.

Congratulations!
How much does it cost for Canadians to study at MSUCOM? I mean what is the total yearly cost including tuition, living and everything else?

You know if you're on the high waitlist if you have been offered admission to the class of 2017 in the event that you are not called up for this year's class. You would not have to reapply. You would have recieved this email along with the notification of being put on the waitlist.

Just curious, what kind of EC's do you have? You have an MCAT score above average and a decent GPA.

Research, co-chair of a club along with good involvement with another, and hospital volunteering. I don't have all that many hours of volunteering though; I only started last May. So that might be a shortcoming. Is there a chance they'd put me on the high waitlist after I visit them? They must be using that as an opportunity to size-up the waitlisted applicants...

Congratulations!
How much does it cost for Canadians to study at MSUCOM? I mean what is the total yearly cost including tuition, living and everything else?
56 k tuition + living

Research, co-chair of a club along with good involvement with another, and hospital volunteering. I don't have all that many hours of volunteering though; I only started last May. So that might be a shortcoming. Is there a chance they'd put me on the high waitlist after I visit them? They must be using that as an opportunity to size-up the waitlisted applicants...

I am not sure of MSU's policies regarding waitlist movement, whether it be to another waiting list or acceptance. I do know that they can accept you anytime before June 6. I would say that any postive "push" you can give them would be perfectly appropriate. For example, you could write a letter of interest stating that MSU is your top choice school for whatever reason (assuming MSU is your top choice). I think you are right about having an opportunity to give them a positive impression when you go to visit the campus. I wish you the best of luck; keep doing all you can until you recieve the final word from MSU.

56 k tuition + living

Out-of-state tuition is more like 74.5 k per year. Tuition comes to grand total of 297,730 for all four years. I got this number from MSUCOM's student budget found at: http://www.finaid.msu.edu/read/budcom.pdf This pdf is MSUCOM's budget allowance for a single student.In-state tuition is 138,202 for all four years.There are, however, scholorship opportunities. Although, most are either small or competitive.

Out-of-state tuition is more like 74.5 k per year. Tuition comes to grand total of 297,730 for all four years. I got this number from MSUCOM's student budget found at: http://www.finaid.msu.edu/read/budcom.pdf This pdf is MSUCOM's budget allowance for a single student.In-state tuition is 138,202 for all four years.There are, however, scholorship opportunities. Although, most are either small or competitive.

Is that for real? That is, to say the least, ridiculous. Not even the most expensive MD programs are that much.....ouch Canada

Members don't see this ad :)

Is that for real? That is, to say the least, ridiculous. Not even the most expensive MD programs are that much.....ouch Canada

drgioiadds is correct. Canadians are given a special scholarship to bring down tuition to 56k per year through the Canadian Initiative. And American out of state applicants are also offered scholarships as well.

If you get the scholarship, you will receive an additional email telling you.

drgioiadds is correct. Canadians are given a special scholarship to bring down tuition to 56k per year through the Canadian Initiative. And American out of state applicants are also offered scholarships as well.

Thanks for the response about expenses for Canadians.Have a wonderful day everyone.

When do we know the exact amount that we need to arrange? I would like to start talking to banks about the LOC, and by the way which bank offers the best rates, in Canada? Do banks give only 200K? In that case how can we get the remaining amount from bank? Thanks

For Canadians which is a better choice? D.O. from the USA or M.D. from St. George or ROSS in the Caribbean. Can they practice in USA and Canada equally easily or one makes it easier than the other?

For Canadians which is a better choice? D.O. from the USA or M.D. from St. George or ROSS in the Caribbean. Can they practice in USA and Canada equally easily or one makes it easier than the other?

I would say just go to Canadian Medical School, save money, go to US residency --> win

There's no way I would pay $70k a year just for a US degree when I could save money in my home country, work hard as I would attending school in the US, and match into US residency. That is, if I was able to secure a spot in canadian school, otherwise I would of course take the US spot

Use the search function and your question will be answered.

I would say just go to Canadian Medical School, save money, go to US residency --> win

There's no way I would pay $70k a year just for a US degree when I could save money in my home country, work hard as I would attending school in the US, and match into US residency. That is, if I was able to secure a spot in canadian school, otherwise I would of course take the US spot

You are definitely entitled to your opinion. As someone who has gone the US route before and paid the equivalent in the past, I still favour US DO over any MD school, simply because I like the DO style of education. Also, have a great mentor DO that has supported my decision from the beginning.

My opinion was financially centered just because I couldn't imagine $300,000 of debt just from medical school alone.

I am very fond of the DO philosophy, it's why I applied :)

Hello all,

I'm finishing up my last year at MSU and got into MSUCOM :). I was wondering how important is completing a bachelors degree for medical school? Does completing a bachelors degree matter with residencies, rotations, etc? I would like to finish my degree, but I also wouldn't mind using that money for pursuing another passion (take a year off and study Arabic or something)

*I'm an osteopathic medical scholar at MSU, and our program director told me that 90 credits is the minimum.

Hello all,

I'm finishing up my last year at MSU and got into MSUCOM :). I was wondering how important is completing a bachelors degree for medical school? Does completing a bachelors degree matter with residencies, rotations, etc? I would like to finish my degree, but I also wouldn't mind using that money for pursuing another passion (take a year off and study Arabic or something)

*I'm an osteopathic medical scholar at MSU, and our program director told me that 90 credits is the minimum.

I'm kind of confused by the post. If you got into MSUCOM you wouldn't really be taking a year off - it's only 5 months until MSUCOM starts lol. So I don't see what the problem is in completing the degree this spring that you spent all that money working towards anyways :) (Sorry - I didn't answer your question I was just giving my opinion lol)

Hi guys,
would you know if normally we should expect to hear back from MSUCOM normally on wednesdays? (to see if we are waitlisted or high waitlist or rejected..)

I think he's saying he might want to defer his acceptance and go study Arabic for a year. Which sounds like a lot of fun.
Their admissions page says nothing about having a bachelor's degree:
http://www.com.msu.edu/admissions/requirements.html

If this means you don't need a bachelor's, then definitely take a year off, and forget about the degree. You're already in, now it's just a matter of what you want to do between now and whenever you decide to start med school :)

On the other hand, if you could finish up your degree in one spring session, I'd just do it...up to you

Last edited:
Hi guys,
would you know if normally we should expect to hear back from MSUCOM normally on wednesdays? (to see if we are waitlisted or high waitlist or rejected..)

From what I can tell on this forum, people on the waitlist and/or high waitlist can hear back on days other than Wednesdays (lucky ducks!) :laugh:

just got an email notifying me that i'm waitlisted. not high waitlisted either :( argh. anyone know of the stats/chances of me getting in?

waitlisted here too (but high waitlisted).. does anyone know if interviewing and visiting the school will move you up on either waitlist?

Wonder if anyone is receiving an outright acceptance at this point or if it is all wait list

wow, i'm an idiot. i completely ignored the separate email telling me that i'm actually high waitlisted!! so relieved that i have a spot in the c/o 2017!!

Hey hlm123 and michigane,

When were your applications complete?

thanks!

Is it true you guys no longer can choose which campus you want?

Is it true you guys no longer can choose which campus you want?

You do have a choice, but its not guaranteed that you will get that choice; however, most people who applied early and were accepted early did get their first choice.

where does it say that? do they take check or is it online?

where does it say that? do they take check or is it online?

Can't remember where it says that but its part of the supplemental materials. And you can either write a check or pay online, your choice. More info included in the supplemental materials if I recall

Can't remember where it says that but its part of the supplemental materials. And you can either write a check or pay online, your choice. More info included in the supplemental materials if I recall

thank you! :)

Anybody know on average what sorts of stats get you onto the high waitlist vs. the regular waitlist? My GPA is pretty low but I got decent ECs and research expereince (not sure how much they care about that) so I wondering if I have a chance at the high waitlist this year.

wow, i'm an idiot. i completely ignored the separate email telling me that i'm actually high waitlisted!! so relieved that i have a spot in the c/o 2017!!

Congrats! I'd love a high waitlist...
Since you were complete December 9th and I was complete December 7th, I'm a little curious about your stats? Mind telling?

Anyone who wants to know I got roughly a 3.7 cum, 3.6x science. MCAT was 26P. Did have a significant amount of volunteer hours, mostly at a Hospital doing research. I've finished off my last few semesters with straight A's in upper level classes, and I was hoping that'd help. Got an ok amount of EC's. I've been complete since December 7th and have yet to hear from them. As many here, I was complete so late because of an evaluation letter that took ages to be completed.

Congrats! I'd love a high waitlist...
Since you were complete December 9th and I was complete December 7th, I'm a little curious about your stats? Mind telling?

Anyone who wants to know I got roughly a 3.7 cum, 3.6x science. MCAT was 26P. Did have a significant amount of volunteer hours, mostly at a Hospital doing research. I've finished off my last few semesters with straight A's in upper level classes, and I was hoping that'd help. Got an ok amount of EC's. I've been complete since December 7th and have yet to hear from them. As many here, I was complete so late because of an evaluation letter that took ages to be completed.

3.2 cGPA, 3.1 sGPA, 32O MCAT. 1000+ hours of volunteering, 8 years of immunology research, recently published, taking extra classes at Eastern.

good luck!!! hope you hear from them soon!!

So is it safe to say they aren't accepting anyone outright anymore? Just wait list?

Hey Guys,

Does anyone know if they have accepted anyone into the DO/PhD program? Do you have to be accepted into the COM first and then into the PhD?

So is it safe to say they aren't accepting anyone outright anymore? Just wait list?

Yea they stopped accepting a while ago from now on all acceptance will probably be from the high waitlist.

So, anyone hear back this fair Wednesday? Wednesdays have become so suspenseful. I haven't heard nuthin' though.:(

Got high waitlist email this morning

3.5/28 , usual ECs and research