NBDE-2 Score thread and Experience.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MitPat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Why don't we start NBDE-2 score thread and the experience associated with the exam. Please feel free to jolt down your total part-2 preperation schedule and books used for the success , and share with everybody.
Thanks.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
hi answer for 1---a
2---b

vgp is right!

For Q2, "Occlusion is under reduced" can be one of the option in some questions. If it is there, the answer can beome "occlusion unreduced."
Please correct me if anyone has other opinions.

hi oujay,

when you say "points" are you referring to raw# points?? or percentage points? I'm still kind of confused as to how things are scored... so according to that attachment, the average was 346/500 (raw score), which gives 69% So does one add 11-12 percentage points to 69 and that is the standardized score? someone please help..

That is exactly what I meant. This is of course an oversimplification but it should give you a reasonable estimate. The actual way the exam is scored is incredibly complicated. You can read about the system in the exam specification document on the ADA website, but uness you have a degree in statistics, the scoring formula probably won't mean much to you.

I took my part 2 on Mon and Tues.I feel hopeless. I have no idea how I did. I got 85 on part one. I studied for part two for about 5 months but I do not know how i did on the test? It seems that i need to get at least 380/500 to pass this test?is this true?do u think it was a mistake that i took it on nov bc all my other classmates r taking the test on Dec??

Members don't see this ad :)
hi
pt was administrated 4% of Oxy and 2%of N2O2..what percent of N2O2 does pt inhale?
25%
50%
33%
66%
anyone plz help

I got my scores back today. I passed and did pretty well. I guess the data was sent to the ADA despite the computer error that occurred at the end of my test.

There is some information in the score report that many of you might find helpful.

The attached file shows the average raw score in each category. The average overall raw score was 69. Also according to the back of the score report, the ~50 percentile of the "reference group" is an 81 scaled score. So an average curve for an average candidate is apparently about 12 points. According to my score this estimate is accurate. I had a curve of 11 points.

Hopefully this information will help people make sense of their scores on practice tests.
Woa! that was fast right? Congrats on passing!!

Anybody else recently taken the exams and gotten their results back?

I am still waiting:(

vgp:

The total flow rate is 4 to 6 L/min for most children.
The maintenance dose of nitrous oxide during an operative procedure is typically about 30%.

33% is the right answer.

hi
pt was administrated 4% of Oxy and 2%of N2O2..what percent of N2O2 does pt inhale?
25%
50%
33%
66%
anyone plz help

plz answer for me.
thanks so much :)

WHICH ARE THE MOST COMMON MALIGNACY IN THE ORAL CAVITY:

a) METASTATIC CARCINOMA
b) BASAL CELL CARCINOMA
c) EPIDERMOID CARCINOMA
d) MUCOEPIDERMOID CARCINOMA
e) ADENOID CYSTIC CARCINOMA

What has the least root surface area in mm squared?
* Mx Lateral
* Mx Central
* Mnd 1st PM

what you cant do with stain?
change hue
increase value
decrease value
change chroma

plz answer for me.
thanks so much :)

WHICH ARE THE MOST COMMON MALIGNACY IN THE ORAL CAVITY:

a) METASTATIC CARCINOMA
b) BASAL CELL CARCINOMA
c) EPIDERMOID CARCINOMA
d) MUCOEPIDERMOID CARCINOMA :)
e) ADENOID CYSTIC CARCINOMA

What has the least root surface area in mm squared?
* Mx Lateral
* Mx Central
* Mnd 1st PM :)

what you cant do with stain?
change hue :)
increase value
decrease value
change chroma

For the 2nd question, I think it is Mand. 1st premolar. Please, advise if anyone knows it.

hello guys,
let us not turn this thread into a question answer session please. I believe there is another thread for that.Let us restrict this thread only to NBDE 2 experience. Please comply.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Nobody should dare to take NBDE part II unless you've read Mosby 5 times, Dental decks 3 times, released exams (93 and 03) 5 times (make sure to memorize all the answers), unreleased exams (04-08) twice (you'll see alot of similar or same questions), Oral pathology books with pictures at least once for 3 months.

2. Keep in mind that only 30 percent of the 2nd timers pass Part 2 as ADA won't give you any curve for the 2nd timers. That's why most 2nd time examees end up getting 74.

3. Don't take the exam just to see what it's like. If you don't pass first time, your chance of passing will decrease substantially. In other words, don't take the exam unless you're ready to ace the exam.

4. Don't listen to those liars who claim to have passed the exam with only one week of studying.

5. Read this post again, go to the library and start studying.

Everybody loves "Single Mom DDS"

thanks so much for your great advise.
do u know where to find answers for unreleased exam?
i need to confirm my answers with someone.

1. Nobody should dare to take NBDE part II unless you've read Mosby 5 times, Dental decks 3 times, released exams (93 and 03) 5 times (make sure to memorize all the answers), unreleased exams (04-08) twice (you'll see alot of similar or same questions), Oral pathology books with pictures at least once for 3 months.

2. Keep in mind that only 30 percent of the 2nd timers pass Part 2 as ADA won't give you any curve for the 2nd timers. That's why most 2nd time examees end up getting 74.

3. Don't take the exam just to see what it's like. If you don't pass first time, your chance of passing will decrease substantially. In other words, don't take the exam unless you're ready to ace the exam.

4. Don't listen to those liars who claim to have passed the exam with only one week of studying.

I'm new to this, but have been reading the posts in hear for two plus years. The post about the ADA giving no curve to people taking part 2 the second and probably the third time time doesnt make any sense to me. How and why would they discriminate? What do they care as long as you know the material. Where did you come up with this information? And unreleased exams? Those don't sound to honest or ethical or legal to me.

unreleased exams! then you should not look at them, read them or anything

I'm new to this, but have been reading the posts in hear for two plus years. The post about the ADA giving no curve to people taking part 2 the second and probably the third time time doesnt make any sense to me. How and why would they discriminate? What do they care as long as you know the material. Where did you come up with this information? And unreleased exams? Those don't sound to honest or ethical or legal to me.

This is what sucks about people like you. Most of us work hard and put in the honest effort needed to be successful. There are a few like you who have to cheat the system, which then makes us that are honest have to work even harder while you skate around and profess to be a dentist and want and expect all the benefits that come along with being a dentist. So when and if you become a dentist, are you going to cheat your patients, our communities, or just yourself?

Just got my scores today, got an 81.. with 337/500 correct. Studied 3 weeks with mosbys twice, 93 exam q's, tufts pharm review and internet for oral path/radio pictures.

For reference on how much to study, everyone is different, by this point in your education you'll know how much YOU need to study for any given exam. So dont be freaked out by people that studied for longer than you plan and tell you that its necessary to study X amount of months to pass. Just do what you've been doin all along to get to this point. After all, a decent amount of this board info is stuff that you apply in your clinical years and will be more of a review when you study than learning at this point.

I suspect we have the work of a troll here. Please do not take this poster's advice.

1. DO NOT LOOK AT UNRELEASED OR REMEMBERED QUESTIONS. These are both against the rules of the examination and a violation of US copyright law. If you use these materials you are cheating and your scores could and should be invalidated. If that happens, you will lose your license, which is based upon those scores.

2. Your score is not affected by your previous test-taking status. According to the NDBE Part 2 Candidate Guide, "Two factors affect a candidate's score: the number of correct answers selected by the candidate and the score scale conversion for the examination."

That is it. Only those two things affect your score, and you can only affect one of them, your raw score. So study.

Just got my scores today, got an 81.. with 337/500 correct. Studied 3 weeks with mosbys twice, 93 exam q's, tufts pharm review and internet for oral path/radio pictures.

For reference on how much to study, everyone is different, by this point in your education you'll know how much YOU need to study for any given exam. So dont be freaked out by people that studied for longer than you plan and tell you that its necessary to study X amount of months to pass. Just do what you've been doin all along to get to this point. After all, a decent amount of this board info is stuff that you apply in your clinical years and will be more of a review when you study than learning at this point.
Hi,
Congrats!!Thanks for the advise..

I looked back on my score sheet, i miscalculated, I received a 363 out of 500.

Also, when you add your scores together do not add the case based total they give you because its already been figured in to each subject score.

It seems wierd that someone gets a 350 out of 500 and doesnt pass this test. I think people are re-adding their case based score on top of the other subjects when putting the total together. The score report is misleading when you first glance at it too figure out the number you got correct.

The national mean is about a 375/500 according to the score report I have.

Hey guys,
I'm just now going to start studying for part 2 and I've been reading around here... It seems most ppl have bigger problems with it than with part 1...Is it really that much more difficult? I know the subjects are different but still, why are so many getting just under the passing score?
Also which books would you advise to study from? I've heard Kaplan is not enough, I'll prolly do that and first aid. I've also heard a lot of ppl do Mosby's, does anyone have it for sale cheaper than Amazon?
Thanks a lot!

I got my score today. I can not believe i got 75%. it is very lowwww??? I got 320/500. well I can graduate but I have never done so poorly in any test.usually I am about average and I got 85 on part one

I got my score today. I can not believe i got 75%. it is very lowwww??? I got 320/500. well I can graduate but I have never done so poorly in any test.usually I am about average and I got 85 on part one
8 (or 9, if you count the day after Thanksgiving) working days from exam to scores in your mailbox. Wow! That's fast. I know you're disappointed, but many on this thread just missed passing. I took mine today and yesterday. For what it's worth, I'm sure I wouldn't feel consoled either, but damn, the radiographs/clinic photos from day 2 sucked.

As an aside to everyone, were the monitors utilized by the Prometric center you used so poor your could see individual pixels?
I had an instructor tell me today that NDBE has no way to update quality i.e. resolution via larger file sizes etc. or include new x-rays/photos without validating them first. So for those of you not testing til next year or later, don't hold your breath.

congrads, you passed.thats important .scores for part 2 no one cares :)

Congrats to everyone on clearing there exam...i am looking for the dental decks part 2 and mosbys book.....please pm me if anyone is selling there part 2 material
thanks

Does anybody know where we can get the tufts pharm review? I have been looking online but can't find it anywhere.

thanks!

Just curious if anyone has results from test taken in first week of December...

Does anybody know where we can get the Tufts pharm review?

I have been looking online but can't find it anywhere.

plz help

I suspect we have the work of a troll here. Please do not take this poster's advice.

1. DO NOT LOOK AT UNRELEASED OR REMEMBERED QUESTIONS. These are both against the rules of the examination and a violation of US copyright law. If you use these materials you are cheating and your scores could and should be invalidated. If that happens, you will lose your license, which is based upon those scores.

2. Your score is not affected by your previous test-taking status. According to the NDBE Part 2 Candidate Guide, "Two factors affect a candidate's score: the number of correct answers selected by the candidate and the score scale conversion for the examination."

That is it. Only those two things affect your score, and you can only affect one of them, your raw score. So study.

I looked at the technical report for the NBDE partII. From the looks of the stat model they are using, scoring has two major components: difficulty of the question, and if you got the question right. So the scoring model computes the probability of a person correctly responding to a item, which is the ability of the person ν, and the difficulty of that item.

So what does this mean to YOU???

If you incorrectly answer a easy question you lose more "standardized points" than if you miss a hard question. This also works in reverse, if you correctly answer a hard question you gain more "standardized points" than if you answer an easy question.

This is the reason that you can get a lower score than someone getting less questions correct (lower raw score). And the "curve" does not change if you take a scond or third time!!!

I know i'm new, but I hope this clears some misinfo, and questions. :thumbup:

Anybody who took the exam the week after Thanksgiving get their results? I took mine Dec 1/2, called the ADA yesterday and was told my scores were mailed on the 10th. Its the 17th and still haven't received them.
Kinda worried b/c a classmate of mine's score report had another students scores (along with his) in his envelope...!:eek:

Does anybody know where we can get the Tufts pharm review?

I have been looking online but can't find it anywhere.

plzzzzzzzzzzzz help

Did anyone ever go to Kaplan Part 2 review? How is it?
Are their materials up-to-date? Please input. Thanks a lot!!!

Hi Chinnu 96,

Can you please suggets me the materials that you refered for part 2 exam, as you have nice score. It will help me a lot. Did you get the admission anywhere?

Thanks

I TOOK THE EXAM IN DEC AND GOT AN 81.
ican say the exam is tough and vague... many pt. management qs... which seems like all the options r feasible . and the day 2 was hell as said by all others i was all theway scratching my head to see the xrays and fotos despite my futile attampt 2 score well in day2...day 1 is tough too but u can still answer except fr the pt management n ethics. i think we need 2 go thru ethics and law codes....which is praCTICALLY IMPOSSIBLE...SO i think if we atleast prepare fr subjs on day 1 well we can pass.i think we shud go back 2 textbooks fr atleast some of the topics if not the whole textbooks. its a 2-3 yr course back there we r takling in 2 day exam.. so we ve 2 work hard. i hope i helped some by this post. good luck 2 all.

sorry. Again, do anyone know how is Kaplan course for Part 2?
Does anyone know if your friends or you took kaplan part 2 and how is it? Thanks.

hi ,
i'm from foregin dentist . i'm now start to study for part 2 . i want to know what is mosby . where can i get it . please tell to me . thank you .