NCSU c/o 2016 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey Guys, I'm an OOS student who applied to the dual program. I know when I talked to Dr. Jones about it one of the kinda weird things to me is that you can only make it into the dual program if accepted to the vet school on your own merits. This is much different than most schools who typically decide whether or not to offer admission into the dual program, then if not consider you for regular vet school. Also I got an email in early november asking for my CV for dual program review, so I'm now utterly confused on their process. I go to a notoriously difficult small liberal arts college and am majoring in Biophysics, while not actually an excuse I often wonder of I wouldnt have been better off going to a state school and having a higher GPA. My GPA is above the 3.4, but nowhere near the 3.9 of most successful OOS applicants. I really loved the school when I visited and toured an just got a great feeling about it. I guess all I can hope is that something sticks out on my application and they like me.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all! I am going to be applying next year for my first time, and since I live here in NC I'll definitely be sending an application to NCSU.

I would love to know what people, especially those of you that were accepted, have said/discussed regarding the One Health topic. Personally I feel any need to "debate" the idea of One Health to be, well, silly. I don't understand how anyone could think that there is a complete distinction between human and animal health. But I don't know if its a debate that NCSU is really asking about, or what.

Honestly, I had never heard the phrase "One Medicine" until shortly before the supplemental application was due, which was when I started filling it out. I'm not sure they really expect you to defend it per se so much as they want you to demonstrate that you have any clue what they're talking about. I just read about it on NCSU's site and elsewhere on the internets and started typing until it was long enough to submit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, I had never heard the phrase "One Medicine" until shortly before the supplemental application was due, which was when I started filling it out. I'm not sure they really expect you to defend it per se so much as they want you to demonstrate that you have any clue what they're talking about. I just read about it on NCSU's site and elsewhere on the internets and started typing until it was long enough to submit.

I was kind of in the same position. I know someone who has applied a few times in the past and, earlier this year, she mentioned One Health to me. I had never heard to the term before. So, I read State's page and a few other random pages online about it. I'm not sure what I have to say about it, personally, except the fact that I know what the term is and that I agree with its premise :confused:.

I'm not sure what I have to say about it, personally, except the fact that I know what the term is and that I agree with its premise :confused:.

It's not like they're expecting you to come up with some revolutionary new paradigm about medicine. The prompt last year just asked how you defined it and how you might contribute to the idea as a vet. All you need to do is talk about it in your own words, preferably between 220 and 250 of them.

What's the question this year? It worked out really well for me last year - allowed me to easily stay on message and round out my book of essays with one showing that I had a good grip on my future career. Like he said, they aren't asking you to come up with something new, just show that you've actually thought about more than "I love animals." As long as you can write well, no one will know if you've only thought that way for the last week.

I would love to know what people, especially those of you that were accepted, have said/discussed regarding the One Health topic.

I had to Google the phrase when I was filling out the supplemental. I'd never heard it before!

The question on this year's supplemental was something like, "How will you, as a veterinarian, contribute to the concept of One Health?" Well, first I'll figure out WTF it is... :laugh:

Same as last year. Pretty simple on the face. A little more difficult to set yourself apart if you don't think about it.

I had to Google the phrase when I was filling out the supplemental. I'd never heard it before!

The question on this year's supplemental was something like, "How will you, as a veterinarian, contribute to the concept of One Health?" Well, first I'll figure out WTF it is... :laugh:

I guess for me it was easier, I worked for the director of the Translational Science Center at my school. My lab group was doing molecular level experiments while collaborators were doing related ones in humans and dogs. I was able to draw on this and combine it with my desire to go into research and medicine. Practically every human drug is tested on animals first, etc. The more we learn about the genome, the more shallow our differences tend to become, etc.

Hey guys, just wanted to give an update on the acceptance letter status for OOS students. Last year, they sent us our acceptance letters before Christmas, which made for an excellent Christmas present, but unfortunately, they aren't doing that this year! I was talking to student services a couple of days ago, and they said that they will be sending out OOS acceptances (and rejections) in January. So hang in there!

Hey guys, just wanted to give an update on the acceptance letter status for OOS students. Last year, they sent us our acceptance letters before Christmas, which made for an excellent Christmas present, but unfortunately, they aren't doing that this year! I was talking to student services a couple of days ago, and they said that they will be sending out OOS acceptances (and rejections) in January. So hang in there!

Thanks so much for the update! Every bit of insight helps me stress less lol

Hey guys, any updates yet?

I just wanted to confirm that NCSU only mails out acceptances and does not email them. I looked at last years acceptances and they were all from snail mail.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just wanted to confirm that NCSU only mails out acceptances and does not email them. I looked at last years acceptances and they were all from snail mail.

Oh YUCK! :sendoff:

That's true...I got mine in the mail last year.

Yup, they only snail mail. Not sure why they don't have an online portal considering they do for undergrads, but we get to stalk the mailman.

I hate that they wait so long to let ISers know! This is torture!

So NC doesn't hold any interviews, just straight yes or no? harsh. hope they like me!

Right, the essays in the supplemental application take the place of interviews.

Were the acceptance letters thin or thick?

The website states January 15-30...but its hard to say given that last year they sent them before christmas and the year before the end of January....it could be any day now...Good luck

The website states January 15-30...but its hard to say given that last year they sent them before christmas and the year before the end of January....it could be any day now...Good luck
They are definitely reviewing IS applications...I was emailed yesterday about my AP courses I took in HS and some things about my transcript so here's to hoping they've gotten through the OOS!

Hey so what do you think my chances are at NCSU? I've applied to a bunch of schools and the only one I'm waiting on is NCSU, which is my top choice right after Cornell. Here's my info
GPA 3.61
GRE 1290
Experience: a ton in everything but food animal

Home State: New York

Accepted: Michigan State
Interviews: Washington State, Prince Edward Island U, Minnesota,
Wait List: Cornell, Tufts

I realllly wanted Cornell, NCSU, or Tufts. I'm praying for an NCSU acceptance and the wait is killing me...anyone know if I stand a chance?

Knr1527--it is really hard to say if you have a chance or not...the admissions process is a crapshoot...if you go to their website they provide statistical data from the last two admission cycles..hope that helps and good luck

Hey so what do you think my chances are at NCSU? I've applied to a bunch of schools and the only one I'm waiting on is NCSU, which is my top choice right after Cornell. Here's my info
GPA 3.61
GRE 1290
Experience: a ton in everything but food animal

Home State: New York

Accepted: Michigan State
Interviews: Washington State, Prince Edward Island U, Minnesota,
Wait List: Cornell, Tufts

I realllly wanted Cornell, NCSU, or Tufts. I'm praying for an NCSU acceptance and the wait is killing me...anyone know if I stand a chance?

Just letting you know, I've spent tons of time pouring over those statistics and your GPA is right at the lowest level for OOS acceptances last year. I'm right at that level with you though. Fingers crossed

I talked to the admissions office and they said that things should be sent out by the beginning of next week. SO SOON! Good luck to everyone! :)

I hate this waiting game! I am so nervous because I have noticed people on here who have gotten into other OOS schools but denied from IS NCSU in past cycles. You would think you were pretty safe if that were the case. Ugh!!!

Anyone have word on how they are adding to the class size, IS or OOS?

I hate this waiting game! I am so nervous because I have noticed people on here who have gotten into other OOS schools but denied from IS NCSU in past cycles. You would think you were pretty safe if that were the case. Ugh!!!

I know! I worry about that happening. While I will be so happy to get in anywhere, the cost of IS NCSU is soooo much less than OOS. If I don't get into NCSU, but I get in elsewhere, it would be crazy not to accept and reapply to NCSU again, right?

Anyone have word on how they are adding to the class size, IS or OOS?

I am wondering about this too...have not heard anything either way.

I think about the same thing. I have gotten accepted to Ohio, but the cost is $253,000! NCSU for IS is almost half of that (about $140,000 including living expenses). It seems like it would be worth it financially to wait, but I really don't know if I could do it, I don't think I can resist accepting an offer otherwise.

It is a tough decision. It makes you wonder if waiting a year would land you a spot or not because what was it that made the technically harder to get into OOS school accept you and not NCSU?

Last year I went to an info session and Jeff Huckel says that realistically you chances of getting admission IS are 40-50%! That is a pretty amazing odds.

Now all we can do is hope and pray that they are adding more IS to the class. I think it makes sense that they would because there is a need for vets in NC (supposedly) so why would they want to increase the class for peeps who will likely leave the state when they graduate?

Now all we can do is hope and pray that they are adding more IS to the class. I think it makes sense that they would because there is a need for vets in NC (supposedly) so why would they want to increase the class for peeps who will likely leave the state when they graduate?

To make $$$ for the school...OOS pays more so school gets more $$$.

Last year either Alhazred or Pelagia (I think the former?) said that they'd talked to the student services and the additional seats were slated to be for IS students... that's not official of course, but an inkling in some direction.

I had the same concerns as you guys regarding cost of attending out of state, which is why I only applied to NCSU this year; I'll probably branch out a bit next year if I don't get in, but the debt makes me very, veeeerryyy leery to do so.

NStarz, the income thing doesn't really work for NC State because they have very affordable OOS tuition (lower than some others' in-state schools!) and people can gain in-state tuition easily after first year.

NStarz, the income thing doesn't really work for NC State because they have very affordable OOS tuition (lower than some others' in-state schools!) and people can gain in-state tuition easily after first year.

Oh really? That's interesting...I had no idea you could get IS tuition after the first year at NCSU. I stand corrected :laugh:

Oh really? That's interesting...I had no idea you could get IS tuition after the first year at NCSU. I stand corrected :laugh:

Can anyone else confirm this? Would be a huge incentive towards attending NC State as a current non-NC resident.

Got a call today about scheduling a DVM/PhD interview in the future but currently playing phone tag. Thinking OOS notifications must be pretty close to arriving if this is the case.

Can anyone else confirm this? Would be a huge incentive towards attending NC State as a current non-NC resident.

Got a call today about scheduling a DVM/PhD interview in the future but currently playing phone tag. Thinking OOS notifications must be pretty close to arriving if this is the case.

I can confirm this is the case. You are more or less guaranteed to get IS tuition after a year if you don't do anything to screw it up.

Hey guys! To address some of the concerns here: the OOS seats will stay at 18, while the IS seats will be at 82, for a total class size of 100 people. This is what student services told me when I first learned about the class size increase (c/o 2015 is 80 people).

Also, I'm an OOS student myself, so I can speak to gaining residency question. NCSU is one of the few schools that allows OOS students to change their residency status to IS after living here for a year...thank goodness! The things that we have to do to establish NC residency is vote in local elections, switch our driver's licenses and insurances over, not work in other states over break, etc. I'll be submitting my residency application this summer after I've been here for a year, but I expect it to go smoothly. I've been super vigilant/borderline paranoid about doing all the things I need to to establish residency, but when I spoke with student services, they told me that only 1 person in the past 5 years has been denied residency (and that's because he did something really dumb like let his OOS parents buy him a house here.).

:xf: for you OOSers! I hope you hear soon. :xf: for the ISers, too, and I think it totally sucks that you guys have to wait til March to hear back!

I think about the same thing. I have gotten accepted to Ohio, but the cost is $253,000! NCSU for IS is almost half of that (about $140,000 including living expenses). It seems like it would be worth it financially to wait, but I really don't know if I could do it, I don't think I can resist accepting an offer otherwise.

It is a tough decision. It makes you wonder if waiting a year would land you a spot or not because what was it that made the technically harder to get into OOS school accept you and not NCSU? ?

Not to be a downer, but this is a very dangerous position. It really doesn't look good to turn down an acceptance and re-apply since the schools will see that on your application again next year (and wonder if you're really serious about this if you chose not to attend a school that gave you a seat). When you apply you should only send your name to schools that you WILL attend if that is your only option. If you had doubts about whether you would financially handle an acceptance to Ohio you probably shouldn't have sent them an application.

I have to see what my options are to make a good decision. Plus, like I said, it would be hard to turn down a vet school offer from Ohio, even when considering financial matters. I am not going to sit around for years just waiting on NCSU when I can already be in vet school at a different school.

I do not see what point you are making, I am the one that can accept or deny the offer. Worst case, someone else will get my spot.

I have to see what my options are to make a good decision. Plus, like I said, it would be hard to turn down a vet school offer from Ohio, even when considering financial matters. I am not going to sit around for years just waiting on NCSU when I can already be in vet school at a different school.

I do not see what point you are making, I am the one that can accept or deny the offer. Worst case, someone else will get my spot.

All she's saying is that if you get an offer this year and decline it, then next year when you reapply and are asked to explain why you didn't get in the first time, when adcoms find out that you got in but turned it down last year, they may be reticent to invite you to join the class of 2017 since some may see it as you throwing away an opportunity. However, I definitely understand the monetary concerns so it's definitely your choice regardless of how it may be perceived in the next application cycle.

All she's saying is that if you get an offer this year and decline it, then next year when you reapply and are asked to explain why you didn't get in the first time, when adcoms find out that you got in but turned it down last year, they may be reticent to invite you to join the class of 2017 since some may see it as you throwing away an opportunity. However, I definitely understand the monetary concerns so it's definitely your choice regardless of how it may be perceived in the next application cycle.

That's it exactly. I would definitely choose an in-state option over a more expensive one if you're given that choice. Just saying that IF the only choice you have is Ohio and you decline the offer, that won't look so great next year since all previous application history will be submitted along with that year's application. Hopefully that won't even be a concern, though when a NC acceptance comes in!

I wouldn't worry about any repercussions for turning down an offer from an OS school. The fact of the matter is that debt vs. income is a serious concern in the field and the admissions personnel are all aware of this.

I wouldn't worry about any repercussions for turning down an offer from an OS school. The fact of the matter is that debt vs. income is a serious concern in the field and the admissions personnel are all aware of this.

But if finances are an issue (as they should be!) why even apply to another school to begin with? Not trying to attack anyone, but this situation comes up a lot on this site for many different applicants, and it is definitely a difficult one. In this case, try not to stress about it too much until you hear from NCSU - easier said than done, I know! The application process is soooooo trying and even though waiting is hard, try not to get too worried about it until March and the IS letters come out.

Has anyone specifically heard from an adcom member that they do frown on applicants reapplying after declining an acceptance? It does come up regularly here, and that's often the reply, but I'm curious if that's speculation or if it's been specifically stated by admissions personnel.

As someone who also may find herself in the "Oh crap suddenly I'm not sure I actually do want to be $200,000 in debt when I graduate" boat, the distinction is rather important to me. ;)

I talked to the admissions office and they said that things should be sent out by the beginning of next week. SO SOON! Good luck to everyone! :)

Ok, it is now "next week" and I am officially stalking the mailman... except I work all day so I'm having the BF do it :D!!!