NCSU c/o 2016 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So many texans wanting to go to NCSU! I would not have expected that!

I still have a couple schools to hear from and a lot of decisions to make before I post as a successful applicant hehe. :p

Members don't see this ad.

Nothin in the mail for me again today :(

Nothin in the mail for me again today :(

I know that logically a YES or a NO will come...and that no letter simply means it hasnt gotten here yet...but I am the only one who just assumes that no letter is a bad sign??? ...I literally, LITERALLY ran to my mailbox and again LITERALLY threw the mail I did get on the ground out of frustration w/ no letter from NCSU...and walked back inside. My boyfriend came in and said "...um, someone attacked the mailbox" ..

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that logically a YES or a NO will come...and that no letter simply means it hasnt gotten here yet...but I am the only one who just assumes that no letter is a bad sign??? ...I literally, LITERALLY ran to my mailbox and again LITERALLY threw the mail I did get on the ground out of frustration w/ no letter from NCSU...and walked back inside. My boyfriend came in and said "...um, someone attacked the mailbox" ..

haha! No, if you read above I said the same thing yesterday... we're just all nutso! :eek:

well i didn't get in.... :(
i told myself that i wouldnt be upset if i got a rejection from ncsu since i've been offered three interviews elsewhere, but its definitely still upsetting..

Sorry Rocky... :(

Even though I am IS and I know that we are not finding out for a while, I still had a heart attack when a letter from NCSU came in the mail today. It was for taxes because I had taken a few classes there last year...sigh...

Sorry Rocky... :(

Thanks...I just have to keep reminding myself that I still have a chance at becoming a vet

:luck: and :xf: to everyone who hasn't heard yet! I hope you get better news that me!

Holy crap, ACCEPTED!!!!! Definitley wasn't expecting this one.

sorry to hear about your rejection rocky922...and goodluck on your interviews! Im sure you will do great!......Congrats skinn1212! Is NCSU a top choice for you?

mulletsarelove or skinn1212, do you mind PMing me your stats? Or posting them on the successful applicant thread? I just want an idea of what the stats for OOS acceptance were from this year...thanks so much and CONGRATULATIONS!!! :D

Got a text from my mom that I was accepted OOS per snail mail today. Still have interview for the PhD side of things to come. I will post my stats in the accepted students thread once I make a decision on which school to attend.

It is my top choice right now, but I am going to see if anybody has scholarship money available before deciding.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats skinn1212 and Bismarck!

Looks like I was wait listed, do you know about how many people were moved off last year? I'm in line for an out of state slot.

Looks like I was wait listed, do you know about how many people were moved off last year? I'm in line for an out of state slot.

Read above ^^^ I think someone said only 2 people :(

Edit: I STILL haven't gotten my letter... did anyone else's mail not have a letter in it today?! :(

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I thought I had read it somewhere, but I wasn't positive. I was seriously expecting a flat out rejection, so it makes me feel better that I at least made it to their wait list.

Read above ^^^ I think someone said only 2 people :(

Edit: I STILL haven't gotten my letter... did anyone else's mail not have a letter in it today?! :(

Mine didnt. Legitimately feels like torture....

TehSwizz -- I'm not sure how much this will help you out, but a Dr. I work with said she was wait listed a few years back. She didn't hear back from them that she was accepted until a little late in the game (I think she said mid-March) at which point she had already accepted a spot elsewhere. Apparently, this was a common problem (them taking too long) and they ended up offering people reduced tuition because they were rapidly moving down the list. If I were in your shoes, I'd be pleased (chin up).

TehSwizz -- I'm not sure how much this will help you out, but a Dr. I work with said she was wait listed a few years back. She didn't hear back from them that she was accepted until a little late in the game (I think she said mid-March) at which point she had already accepted a spot elsewhere.

Also, don't feel bad about taking a seat at another school and still crossing your fingers that one at NCSU opens up later. I accepted my spot at Wisconsin after I found out I was waitlisted here and ended up calling to give up that spot just a few weeks later when I got off the NCSU waitlist. Someone will take your spot if you change your mind, so if your #1 becomes available to you, go for it!

Also, don't feel bad about taking a seat at another school and still crossing your fingers that one at NCSU opens up later. I accepted my spot at Wisconsin after I found out I was waitlisted here and ended up calling to give up that spot just a few weeks later when I got off the NCSU waitlist. Someone will take your spot if you change your mind, so if your #1 becomes available to you, go for it!

Thanks! I'm glad to hear that there are people out there that did get in who were wait listed. I really thought I would just get flat out rejected when I saw that only 18 people were taken for out of state last year. So, I am pretty pleased that I got waitlisted instead. I'll deffinately keep my fingers crossed! :xf:

TehSwizz -- I'm not sure how much this will help you out, but a Dr. I work with said she was wait listed a few years back. She didn't hear back from them that she was accepted until a little late in the game (I think she said mid-March) at which point she had already accepted a spot elsewhere. Apparently, this was a common problem (them taking too long) and they ended up offering people reduced tuition because they were rapidly moving down the list. If I were in your shoes, I'd be pleased (chin up).

Need to correct information listed here.
1. All applicants have until April 15 to make a decision so March isn't late in the game. Only April 16 onward is late. I wouldn't accept at a school until you've received notification on all of your applications.

2. NC State didn't offer reduced tuition to nonresident applicants. It is possible, however, to apply for residency status for tuition purposes after the 1st year of the DVM Program. As of last year, 94% of students admitted as nonresidents converted their residency status after the 1st year. This provision can save you nearly $70,000 of tuition and fees over the life of the program.

http://www.aavmc.org/Admissions-and-Applications/Acceptance-Deadline.aspx

AAVMC Admissions Policy

April 15th Acceptance Deadline Policy

In order to grant member schools enough time to complete their admissions processes and for applicants to make informed admissions decisions, schools will not require applicants to decide upon admissions offers, scholarships and financial aid, until April 15. To ensure applicant awareness of this policy, the schools will attach the policy to all admissions offer letters. If April 15 falls upon a weekend, the date will be shifted to the next Monday.

This policy does not apply to the following schools:

• International Schools
  • Tuskegee University
Approved by the AAVMC Board of Directors
July 17, 2011

Mid-March is when in-state students hear for the first time... that's not particularly late at all. As mentioned, students don't have to make a decision until April 15th.

On another note, I just now got that financial aid email from Jeff/Johanna - maybe it was sent out alphabetically or something? (I'm a "W" last name).

Are there any current students on here that can comment on their likes and dislikes as to the program and the town in general. I am really leaning heavily towards NCSU but any info would help. Thanks and go wolfpack (unless they're playing my hurricanes of course.)

Mid-March is when in-state students hear for the first time... that's not particularly late at all. As mentioned, students don't have to make a decision until April 15th.

On another note, I just now got that financial aid email from Jeff/Johanna - maybe it was sent out alphabetically or something? (I'm a "W" last name).

I still haven't received one... nor have I received my decision letter.... :( What is going on?!?!

Ugh Nevermind... rejection :( CRAP!!!! This one hurts... I'm crying as I'm boarding my flight to my Western Interview lol

Last edited:
I still haven't received one... nor have I received my decision letter.... :( What is going on?!?!

Ugh Nevermind... rejection :( CRAP!!!! This one hurts... I'm crying as I'm boarding my flight to my Western Interview lol

I'm so sorry :( At least you have a couple more interviews to look forward to. Chin up! :D

Are there any current students on here that can comment on their likes and dislikes as to the program and the town in general. I am really leaning heavily towards NCSU but any info would help. Thanks and go wolfpack (unless they're playing my hurricanes of course.)

I live in Raleigh about 10 min from the vet school. Have been here almost 4 years. I love the area. The city is small enough that it is easy to navigate, but still has a good amount of culture and night life. The cost of living is low too. I cannot speak for the program as I am hoping to get in this cycle, but I have only heard good things.

I'm so sorry :( At least you have a couple more interviews to look forward to. Chin up! :D

Yeah, I know, I'm lucky to have more for sure, but I was definitely set on NC if I got in... should have known I wouldn't (my GPA isn't a 4.0000000000000). Thanks mullet... I'll get over it. It was just tough to swallow. Especially coming from my little brother typing it to me over Facebook. My family thinks it's funny to lie and then say "JUST KIDDING YOU GOT IN"... so I have been unrealistically praying for that to happen all day :oops: :laugh:.

Sorry:( Totally their loss! NCSU is my top choice, but I am not feeling too confident. Just focus on your interview! You will rock it!

Just found out my application is on hold until after my DVM/PhD interview, so basically sounds to me like if I impress the combined committee I have a spot and if not I do not. No pressure...

Just found out my application is on hold until after my DVM/PhD interview, so basically sounds to me like if I impress the combined committee I have a spot and if not I do not. No pressure...

You got this! :thumbup: :luck: :xf:

Hey Bismarck I saw that you posted:

Got a text from my mom that I was accepted OOS per snail mail today. Still have interview for the PhD side of things to come. I will post my stats in the accepted students thread once I make a decision on which school to attend.

And Foxhunter:

I too applied to the DVM/PhD program and just had my 2 day and 30 minutes presentation interview this past past week. When is you interview for the program and where are you from? I learned from the interview that they are interviewing a male (myself) and female from instate and a male and female from out of state for 1 position. Where are yall from and if you would like to discuss the process with me email me at [email protected] because this is my first time getting on this and I don't know how much I'll be looking at it.

Last edited:
On the page (http://cvm.ncsu.edu/studentservices/admissions-faq.html) it says that there were only 191 NC resident applicants this year. A decrease of over 13% from last year! I just find that to be odd, but fortunate for the rest of us hopefuls! Also, with the increased class size of 80, means our chances are 80/191! Not too bad.

Even knowing this, I am still TERRIFIED!

I wonder if the decrease in applicants is because the GRE deadline got moved up a month this year, and caught people off-guard.

On the page (http://cvm.ncsu.edu/studentservices/admissions-faq.html) it says that there were only 191 NC resident applicants this year. A decrease of over 13% from last year! I just find that to be odd, but fortunate for the rest of us hopefuls! Also, with the increased class size of 80, means our chances are 80/191! Not too bad.

Even knowing this, I am still TERRIFIED!

Oh great, so when I don't get in I'm just a complete failure. :p And I think it's actually 82/191 - 18 OOS spots, 100 total?

I'd conjecture the cutting down on AE availability and the GRE both impacted the numbers.

@SRE: Does this mean that they are doing 4 interviews for one confirmed seat?

Talked to SRE- there are 2 spots this year for students. One has been filled by a current vet student. Presumably 4 are interviewing for the remaining spot.

Oh great, so when I don't get in I'm just a complete failure. :p And I think it's actually 82/191 - 18 OOS spots, 100 total?

I'd conjecture the cutting down on AE availability and the GRE both impacted the numbers.

According to the website, it said they have not determined the number of IS vs OOS spots, so there may actually be less than 82- IS spots. Definitely what I'm hoping for, no offense Trilt!

I talked to someone on the admissions committee, she told me letters go out in eight days. Good luck, guys!

My DVM/PhD interview set for 3/1 and 3/2. Hoping the weather a tad warmer down south than here in New England by then.

Wait in IS is seriously going out in 8 days?! Holy hell that is early. Oh geez. I may have a slight freak out moment.

I talked to someone on the admissions committee, she told me letters go out in eight days. Good luck, guys!

:eek: :scared:

Did other IS applicants get emails verifying their fall transcripts were received? Just curious what sort of correspondence went out about that. My transcripts and such are a tad bit of a mess because of studying abroad...

I didn't have any to send, but I'm sure if they didn't receive or if they had questions they would have contacted you. They contacted me in January when they had questions regarding my transcript.

IS letters go out in eight days?

Yes, sorry, I should have said IS.

People were telling her about applicants they know, and she recognized all of the names because they've spent so much time going over applications. I started to mention some of you guys to her, but then I realized that I don't actually know any of your names :p

Oh my goodness I need to prepare myself!