New dental school: California Northstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So its a 45 minute interview, no indication of an info session or anything like that. Relatively no info on their site. It better be 2 minutes of interview and 43 minutes of Q&A

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
I'm confused about schools that aren't fully accredited like this one. When the inaugural class gets to the end of their 4 years and takes their boards, if my information is correct, there is a set percentage of the class that must pass in order for the school to become fully accredited. My question is: if that percentage is not met, what happens to the dental students that passed? Are they still good to go as dentists?

I'm confused about schools that aren't fully accredited like this one. When the inaugural class gets to the end of their 4 years and takes their boards, if my information is correct, there is a set percentage of the class that must pass in order for the school to become fully accredited. My question is: if that percentage is not met, what happens to the dental students that passed? Are they still good to go as dentists?
they need provisional accreditation to open, so the graduates will be ok...

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
did any one applied to CDM yet? and recessives interview?
I applied on September 15 and have yet to hear back! Fingers crossed...

For those that already interviewed, was it really 45 min long or was there was presentation thrown in there as well? If there was a presentation, how did it go? :)

Reactions: 1 user
I applied on September 15 and have yet to hear back! Fingers crossed...

For those that already interviewed, was it really 45 min long or was there was presentation thrown in there as well? If there was a presentation, how did it go? :)
It was a 45 minute long interview. Mine was 2 on 1 with leadership. They gave me about 25 minutes to ask questions. No presentation.

tuition is $76k a year I think.

The clinic will be attached to the hospital that is being built where their med students will learn. It will serve the greater Sacramento area and likely have a good mix of patients. They’re hoping to do the D3-D4 pair for patient care that a lot of schools do now.

they were going to be med school integrated but changed that and will no longer be integrated. Will have separate didactic coursework.

they aren’t shooting to fill their first class with kids who didn’t get in anywhere else and have no problem having a first class of 30 students or less. They are hoping for a class of 80 once it’s up and rolling in future years.

they are supposedly looking for more of an entrepreneurial type to be flexible and set a culture for their first class.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
It was a 45 minute long interview. Mine was 2 on 1 with leadership. They gave me about 25 minutes to ask questions. No presentation.

The clinic will be attached to the hospital that is being built where their med students will learn. It will serve the great we Sacramento area and likely have a good mix of patients. They’re hoping to do the D3-D4 pair for patient care that a lot of schools do now.

they were going to be med school integrated but changed that and will no longer be integrated. Will have separate didactic coursework.

they aren’t shooting to fill their first class with kids who didn’t get in anywhere else and have no problem having a first class of 30 students or less. They are hoping for a class of 80 once it’s up and rolling in future years.

they are supposedly looking for more of an entrepreneurial type to be flexible and set a culture for their first class.
Awesome, it sounds like they've got potential to be a great CA school!

So during my interview they said that we would not get a decision on Dec 15th, does anyone know when we would?

They told me we would get it around august. They mentioned Tuoro did it in their inaugural class and it worked.

So during my interview they said that we would not get a decision on Dec 15th, does anyone know when we would?
Soft offers in March/April after their accreditation visit. But I think they can’t formally extend until August and then they’ll start in September

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know the class size for this school?
They told me they want 80 students are what they are aiming for but since it's a new school they think it'll be 40 for the first class

you think it’ll be 40 based on how many people applied or do other factors go into it?
They said they aren’t trying to fill their first class. Their goal isn’t to take all the students who have no other acceptances just to fill their class. Supposedly they are still being selective with interviews and looking for a specific type of student for their first class.

they said they had no problem having a class of less than 30 students the first year

Are they really going to get “the cream of the crop” when they are an entirely unproven entity that undoubtedly has a $500,000+ cost of attendance?

Big Hoss
They also said they realize they aren’t going to get the best students. But they made a point of saying they weren’t going to fill the class for the sake of filling the class. Guess we’ll see what they actually do

But they made a point of saying they weren’t going to fill the class for the sake of filling the class.
11AC05FB-D0B4-41BC-8B3A-2FED1C46D1A2.gif

Big Hoss

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I just now received an email response from them for an email I sent a month ago. I was unsure if I should apply considering, the lack of response. I wish I had seen this thread sooner, I would have applied already. I'm a California resident but do have one interview out of state, however, if I were to get into CNU I would go 100% because it's in my state. Do you think its too late to apply?

The clinic will be attached to the hospital that is being built where their med students will learn. It will serve the greater Sacramento area and likely have a good mix of patients. They’re hoping to do the D3-D4 pair for patient care that a lot of schools do now.

Thanks for that info and congrats on your interview! :D
I received an interview invite yesterday. What was the format of the interview? did they have MMIs or just common interview questions? Ant tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

I received an interview invite yesterday. What was the format of the interview? did they have MMIs or just common interview questions? Ant tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
Standard questions. It wasn’t MMI

Guess we’ll see what they actually do
I know it is unconscionable to many a pre-dent how slimy and murky some dental schools can be. I assure you that you will find out within the first few days of dental school.

Many d schools (thankfully not all) have horrible cultures and are over bloated with admin that would be fired in literally any other setting due to incompetence. That is the recipe to advancement in d school administration though!

It is a time of your life to put your head down, jump through the hoops, and get out safely. Hopefully with the admin never knowing your name.

Do not trust them. They will randomly raise tuition 3-4%. They will suddenly create 'mandatory' classes and exams that were not on the syllabus the week before. They will change the requirements to graduate just cause they can. They can do pretty much anything they want with little if any repercussions.

I would be very hesitant to be in any school costing 500k, especially in the very first class.

Congrats on your interview!!
if you don't mind me asking when did u apply?

Does anyone know how your chances of specializing are affected by attending a new school like this?

Yes. It is not an official acceptance. More like declaring their interest towards you and see if you would still want them to keep you a seat once the school opens.
Congratulations! When did you receive one if you don’t mind me asking?

Just got an interview invitation!

Hello guys, for those of you a received an interview, can you share your stats? the GPA on that spreadsheet we calculated and the DAT score?

Does anyone have an update from the school on the accreditation and how the first class is going to be like?

Hello guys, for those of you a received an interview, can you share your stats? the GPA on that spreadsheet we calculated and the DAT score?
GPA:3.5 DAT: 21 AA PAT: 20
Also, it’s never too late to apply. My friend applied a few weeks ago and received an interview.

Does anyone have an update from the school on the accreditation and how the first class is going to be like?
Accreditation visit will be held on March/April. They are very confident with the accreditation. During the interview, I asked academic and clinical curriculum, and they told me that we could be integrated with med and pharmacy student for some classes. Also, we would be doing clinical starting D1.

Accreditation visit will be held on March/April. They are very confident with the accreditation. During the interview, I asked academic and clinical curriculum, and they told me that we could be integrated with med and pharmacy student for some classes. Also, we would be doing clinical starting D1.
I thought accreditation was March 2 & 3. So there’s another one in April?

I received an interview last week!
For those that interviewed already. were there any ethical/ scenario questions? Was it open file? Any tips or advice would be appreciated!
Thank you

For those that interviewed already. were there any ethical/ scenario questions? Was it open file? Any tips or advice would be appreciated!
Thank you
Congrats! Do you mind sharing what your stats are and when you applied?

I haven't heard anything from this school, not even a confirmation that they got my application lmao
I asked them about this a few months ago. They said they weren't sending out "application complete" confirmations just because of the influx of documents they were experiencing. However, they promised to inform any applicants with missing items via email. If they haven't said anything to you, you're most likely all set.

Thank you
A few scenario questions. Mine was close/open file meaning some interviewers looked at my application and other hadn’t. Very chill and everyone was nice. My number 1 tip would be stay calm and just be yourself. They really wanna see who you are as a person. Lastly, come up with questions for them. Good luck I’m sure you’ll do great! Let us know what new information they have regarding accreditation etc!