New dental school: California Northstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I honestly have confidence that our official acceptances will be mailed out in August. Their site meeting is this month then the final decision meeting is in August. They had over a year to fix any issues that could fail they accreditation guide lines. We just have to be patient.
Ah ok... another question after the visit in April are they gonna let us know when they are gonna open or they gonna wait till August to let us know for sure?

Members don't see this ad.

Ah ok... another question after the visit in April are they gonna let us know when they are gonna open or they gonna wait till August to let us know for sure?
So from my understanding the CODA accreditation people are different from the BPPE (the ones who allow them to start). So the last email they sent out it (2/18/21) stated that they are working with them to get the approval for a September start date. I think after the site meeting in April the BPPE process will go a little faster. And then they should grant permission around the time of the final CODA meeting in August. I’m sure CNU has a curriculum set in place with the necessary faculty. If not they wouldn’t anticipate a September start date.

Lastly, CNU is very good about updating us throughout this whole process. I’m assuming a email will be sent out after the CODA site meeting dates explaining any new information that they have.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone! Are you guys reapplying this cycle or sticking with cnu? What if they don’t open until July and we have to reapply?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone! Are you guys reapplying this cycle or sticking with cnu? What if they don’t open until July and we have to reapply?
They haven’t made a decision yet regarding if we have to reapply if they open in July right? I think they’ll open at the latest January 2022.

Do u think we will get official acceptance in August or before that?
Congrats! I also got accepted recently and talked to the associate dean about it. From what she said, I think it is most likely we will get the official acceptance letters in August but we shall see how their meeting with CODA goes in a couple of days (site visit is 4/20/2021-4/21/2021) and see what BPPE says after that .

Congrats! I also got accepted recently and talked to the associate dean about it. From what she said, I think it is most likely we will get the official acceptance letters in August but we shall see how their meeting with CODA goes in a couple of days (site visit is 4/20/2021-4/21/2021) and see what BPPE says after that .
did u ask if they are starting in July do we have to reapply?

did u ask if they are starting in July do we have to reapply?
If they do start in July (which the associate dean said was the worse case scenario) then we do not need to reapply. It sounded that they were pretty confident that they will be given the ok and that the need to reapply would not be necessary as of now. All we can do now is wait.

Reactions: 1 users
Is there anyone here from the LA area that’s been accepted?
I feel like a lot of the people that CNU CDM is accepting are from out of state. I know some people in Cali that applied but did not get offered and interview. Feels like they are aiming mainly for out of state students but I could be wrong!

did you guys get any confirmation email after you accept the offer?

did you guys get any confirmation email after you accept the offer?
No since it is not a formal acceptance since they are not allowed to send acceptances without being accredited. We will be formally accepted once the school is accredited. I spoke to Dr. Xenoudi after I accepted it to ask questions and she said that there will be email for updates after they make progress.

does anyone know if you can do REPAYE or will qualify for student loan forgiveness (if it ever does happen) with private loans? sorry if this is a dumb question i dont know much about the difference between private loans and the ones you apply with FAFSA.
Idk about REPAYE but I doubt you get student loan forgiveness with private loans. I think the main difference between federal student loans and private student loans is that private has a higher interest rate (stupid high). I’m confused to why CNU doesn’t qualify for federal loans. Also their medical school is gonna be cheaper than their dental so idk if private loans will fully cover our tuition 😂

“The Estimated Total Cost of Study including tuition, insurance, fees, room and board, transportation, personal electronic equipment and technology, and other living expenses for the class graduating in June of 2025 is $550,577.” - CNU CDM website :)

• Angry
  • Care
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
“The Estimated Total Cost of Study including tuition, insurance, fees, room and board, transportation, personal electronic equipment and technology, and other living expenses for the class graduating in June of 2025 is $550,577.” - CNU CDM website :)
Not that any school is worth that much but for a new school with no prestige or track record to charge this much is absurd. But they know people with no options will take it.

@Big Time Hoosier

Reactions: 5 users
Not that any school is worth that much but for a new school with no prestige or track record to charge this much is absurd. But they know people with no options will take it.

@Big Time Hoosier
For those taking out loans, add on another $100,000, give or take, for accrued interest.

How much do you prospective students expect to earn after graduation? Seriously.

Big Hoss

don’t forget to add the private loan interest rate
Yeah the tuition is absolutely insane. Didn’t they say 76k tuition (not including room/board etc) I’m trying to add stuff up and I don’t get where 76k came from.

For those taking out loans, add on another $100,000, give or take, for accrued interest.

How much do you prospective students expect to earn after graduation? Seriously.

Big Hoss
Not enough especially in the dental economy today.

Anyone recently got the letter of interest from them? Like this week or last week?

did anyone just get the email from them? I'm confused why does it say opening jan. 2022 now. does that mean their meeting didnt go well?

It will take longer for bppe to give accreditation due to COVID. CODA already came but bppe still needs to approve the program. The programs opening in September was dependent on how quick bppe could approve the program . It seems the process is longer now because of covid so it will
Open in January instead of September.

It will take longer for bppe to give accreditation due to COVID. CODA already came but bppe still needs to approve the program. The programs opening in September was dependent on how quick bppe could approve the program . It seems the process is longer now because of covid so it will
Open in January instead of September.
do you know when is their meeting with bppe?

Idk about REPAYE but I doubt you get student loan forgiveness with private loans. I think the main difference between federal student loans and private student loans is that private has a higher interest rate (stupid high). I’m confused to why CNU doesn’t qualify for federal loans. Also their medical school is gonna be cheaper than their dental so idk if private loans will fully cover our tuition 😂
This institution has chosen to deny their students access to federal loans and payback mechanisms.
They are the only medical school to actively deny their students this opportunity.

• Angry
I got an email saying they may start in January ;(

may. not certain yet, there’s another meeting
“we hope to proceed with accepting and admitting the inaugural class to start in January 2022”. - CNU CDM

is this not the email you guys got? This sounds like they’re starting January 2022 and September 2021 seems off the table.

“we hope to proceed with accepting and admitting the inaugural class to start in January 2022”. - CNU CDM

is this not the email you guys got? This sounds like they’re starting January 2022 and September 2021 seems off the table.
yes, I got the same email, and I think the school may start in January but it is not 100% yet

so it’s not because they’re a new school? in a couple years they won’t accept federal loans?
Correct. Their medical school has had a few graduating classes and students don’t have access to federal loans. It is not because they are a new school. They intentionally choose not to offer federal loans because they get some sort of commission from lending partners.

• Angry
yes, I got the same email, and I think the school may start in January but it is not 100% yet
Gotcha. Well that sucks. January is a while away which pushes back graduation date. At least we’ll know in August.

How many people are considering this school because of their location?

Last edited by a moderator:
so it’s not because they’re a new school? in a couple years they won’t accept federal loans?
Their pre-existing Pharm school made it possible for their inaugural med school class to have the benefit that every Caribbean school fights to obtain and maintain. They have chosen to limit their students' financial options in broad daylight for years now.

• Wow
Their pre-existing Pharm school made it possible for their inaugural med school class to have the benefit that every Caribbean school fights to obtain and maintain. They have chosen to limit their students' financial options in broad daylight for years now.
Is it somehow more profitable for the school not to take federal financial aid?

Yeah I got the same thing :( that sucks

If all these red flags haven’t convinced you to completely avoid this school, I only have this to say...

BFA30AB3-B598-4894-91F8-FCEDA454D91E.gif

Big Hoss

Reactions: 5 users
Did anyone called the school after that email?