New Poll: Change D.O. to M.D.O. ? - Yes or No -

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Poll: Should the D.O. degree be changed to M.D.O. degree?

• Change the D.O. degree to M.D.O. degree

Votes: 114 51.1%
  • Do not change the D.O. degree

Votes: 109 48.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Don't change. Dentists have the DMD and the DDS. Medical programs around the world have MD, MBBS, MSBS, etc. We have much more important issues to be spending our time on, like cuts to reimbursement and NP independence.

It's semantics at this point. Focus on being a good doctor for your patients. Introduce yourself as Dr. X and nobody's going to give two ****s. This really isn't important to the future of the profession IMO. Let's say you get that vaunted MD after your name. Now what? Can you bill more? Will your relationship with patients be any different? Does it somehow affect your skillset as a physician? Nope.

Let's put this debate to bed, shall we?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Nothing like yet another degree designation to further confuse patients and other healthcare workers.

Reactions: 1 user
No. It would be only a little bit less ridiculous than naturopaths calling themselves NMD, with the difference being that DOs are actually legit. I think it's well-established you guys know what you're doing and can truly say "Trust me. I'm a doctor." Adding letters won't help your cause in any meaningful way.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, Yes and Yes, MDO would be an improvement over DO as it signifies we are trained in Medicine. For those wanting MD,DO, this will never happen as this would be awarding us two degrees. If it were possible I would go for that too but I really do not think it is.

I am finishing residency. I have been in favor of adding an M to our degree to show that we are trained in not just Osteopathy but Medicine for years. This would be a great improvement.

D.O. is an antiquated term. We as physicians - whether osteopathically or allopathically trained - should present a united front and use the more commonly presented: M.D. degree. Why? Not because I don't support the D.O. cause. Hell i firmly believe in it, BUT we're so busy trying to explain to a patient what a D.O. is that we lose potential opportunities to market ourselves and - at the same time - we lose that instant level of trust with a patient (we have "prove" our credibility). It's a sad day when patients are more familiar with what an N.P. and P.A. is than what a D.O. is.

My two cents: AOA needs to ramp up it's marketing of D.O.s or fall in line and adopt the M.D. degree name. Also, we really should change the name because we - as physicians - should be united and working towards fighting off mid-level practitioner rights instead of bickering over historical terms.

edit: and honestly? What's the big issue with changing our degree name to MDO? It still holds onto the ideologies introduced by Dr. Stills AND it makes it a term more recognizable to our patients, which should be our number one concern. The two letters at the end of our name should NOT define us. D.O. is no more relevant than if my degree title was "A.A. or Z.Z." Just like my friends on the allopathic side are not M.D.s I am not a D.O. I'm a f*cking physician. period. (student physician if we're being technical ;)).
I think the issue is that MDO would solve nothing on recognition, whereas "MD, DO" or some variant does. This is because you can say "I'm a physician (nobody questions because of MD) and have been additionally trained in Osteopathic Medicine (the DO) which is a whole-patient philosophy and manual manipulation."

Yes, Yes and Yes, MDO would be an improvement over DO as it signifies we are trained in Medicine. For those wanting MD,DO, this will never happen as this would be awarding us two degrees. If it were possible I would go for that too but I really do not think it is.

I am finishing residency. I have been in favor of adding an M to our degree to show that we are trained in not just Osteopathy but Medicine for years. This would be a great improvement.
It's not really two doctorates though. It's the medical degree plus a diploma in osteopathy.

It's not really two doctorates though. It's the medical degree plus a diploma in osteopathy.

What?! lol So I spent 4 years in Medical school and went to residency without a doctorate?! Of course a DO is a doctorate... Thats why we're called doctors. It is two degrees. I know of no other degree designation that has a few letters, then a comma then a few more letters. MD,DO says "doctor of Medicine, doctor of Osteopathy" whereas MDO says "Medical Doctor of Osteopathy"... an improvement indicating medical training and differentiating from non- medical DOs in Europe.

I'm not sure if this true but a DO student told me that a long time ago in Hawaii DOs could pay to add MD after their names so they would be DO, MD.

I'm not sure if this true but a DO student told me that a long time ago in Hawaii DOs could pay to add MD after their names so they would be DO, MD.

I really really don't think this is true. It would be the only such state where it would be true in that case and in the 8 years of my association with Osteopathy I have not read that. There used to be offshore programs that DOs could buy an MD though it was kind of worthless since most states would not allow a DO to actually practice with it but they could use it when writing books.

MDO is the way to go. Again I'd love an MD, DO but ain't gonna happen ya'll.

food for though: NP programs will start handing out "doctorate" level degrees. Just more reason we need to update our outdated degree name :l

You realize you can tell people you are a medical doctor if you are a DO, right? MD (in english) is the doctor of medicine degree --not medical doctor. Both DOs and MDs are medical doctors. It really should be a non issue now a days.

Patient: what is a DO?
You: a medical doctor who receives added training in physical medicine while in medical school.

Patient: sooo like an MD with extra training
You: yup, pretty much

/conversation

I know this pisses MDs off because they feel as tho it makes DOs seem like they are better than MDs. But lets be honest. They are. Don't blame me your stats were too high to get into a DO school.
:flame:

Reactions: 8 users
food for though: NP programs will start handing out "doctorate" level degrees. Just more reason we need to update our outdated degree name :l
An "MDO" is still not an "MD" and patients will still be skeptical. "MDO" would have the added effect of confusing patients who already know what a DO is.
The fact that DNP's insist on being called "doctor" should have no bearing on what degree our schools award.

I'm sorry, no matter how mainstream or discriminatory the allopathic world is, the DO profession has evolved to creating physicians who have received additional training aside from the conventional basic sciences, no matter how questionable this additional training is.

So I think its perfectly fine to say "I'm a medical doctor with additional training in the musculoskeletal system," should patients ask.

I also say if a DNP is legally considered a doctorate level degree, as is Doctor of Physical Therapy, then they earned the right to be called Doctor. Though in an introduction they NEED to say "Hi I'm Dr. Acula, the nurse practitioner."

Members don't see this ad :)

Do a lot of patients know that you are a DO and do they ask you about it? Most of the physicians I've seen don't even have their names or degree on their white coats.

I also say if a DNP is legally considered a doctorate level degree, as is Doctor of Physical Therapy, then they earned the right to be called Doctor. Though in an introduction they NEED to say "Hi I'm Dr. Acula, the nurse practitioner."
Yeah, Nurse practitioners should identify themselves as such but in real life this doesn't happen except in states that specifically require it, or those that ban them from calling themselves "doctor" in a clinical setting altogether. And the DNP lobby is constantly pushing against any requirement for DNP's to clarify that they are not medical doctors. Their desire to mislead patients is the whole reason they recently starting requiring the DNP for all new NP's in the first place.

You realize you can tell people you are a medical doctor if you are a DO, right? MD (in english) is the doctor of medicine degree --not medical doctor. Both DOs and MDs are medical doctors. It really should be a non issue now a days.

Patient: what is a DO?
You: a medical doctor who receives added training in physical medicine while in medical school.

Patient: sooo like an MD with extra training
You: yup, pretty much

/conversation

I know this pisses MDs off because they feel as tho it makes DOs seem like they are better than MDs. But lets be honest. They are. Don't blame me your stats were too high to get into a DO school.
:flame:

I completely agree. I always thought when people refer to MD that they mean medical doctors and DOs are medical doctors. Plus, when people say "I am a MD" it means "I am a medical doctor" and not "I have a doctor of medicine"

What?! lol So I spent 4 years in Medical school and went to residency without a doctorate?! Of course a DO is a doctorate... Thats why we're called doctors. It is two degrees. I know of no other degree designation that has a few letters, then a comma then a few more letters. MD,DO says "doctor of Medicine, doctor of Osteopathy" whereas MDO says "Medical Doctor of Osteopathy"... an improvement indicating medical training and differentiating from non- medical DOs in Europe.
Read my post. You get a doctorate for studying medicine. You get a diploma for spending 300 hours learning omm. Hence, "MD, DO."

you all think the DO/MD designation is confusing? imagine the headaches osteopathic ophthalmologists have to deal with.

Reactions: 4 users
you all think the DO/MD designation is confusing? imagine the headaches osteopathic ophthalmologists have to deal with.

A Walmart in my home town is one of the locations that has an optometrist in-house. For the longest time, the sign in the store said "Dr. [...], DO" rather than OD.

Some of you people act like DOs get asked every day by patients "what is an osteopathic physician?". I was asked that question more on the PE exam than I have been in real life. I can only recall maybe one or two times that I have ever seen a resident or attending explain the degree to a patient. I've spent way more time explaining what OMM is and the risks/benefits of it than I have the degree (which, you are still going to have to do even with a degree change). Patients know you are a physician. What more do you want? The vast majority of American-trained DOs stay in the states, why do we need a degree change for the very few people who want to go practice in a country where the DO degree is not full recognized as a medical degree? Following that logic, the MDs need a degree change too so the select few can practice in countries where their degree is not recognized. I am not much of a tradition kind of guy, but I like the DO degree that I have almost achieved. I would never advocate for a change in it. If you do not like the degree, then do not go to a DO school to pursue it!

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone who wants to change their degree can blame AT Still. When the first American School of Osteopathy opened (KCOM) the charter included a designation to grant the MD degree, which he promptly changed to DO (Diplomat of Osteopathy, which later changed to Doctor).

MDO looks a lot to me like DMD and VMD. Might as well switch to NMD for non medical doctor.

Some states recognize NMD as doctor of naturopathic medicine. . . . yeah...

Friends, this about MDO - not MD, DO. Based on recent events and statements by higher powers, it appears unlikely that M.D. would be added to the D.O. degree. This poll is about a new designation - M.D.O.

MDO is pointless. It won't solve any "problems", it'll just be another degree that patients don't know and other countries don't recognize.

Is anything really going to change? Why are we discussing this?

No, there's no point.

Looks like I should have trademarked MD, DO before posting

Some students in SOMA already proposed this in 2010. They proposed looking into changing the degree to "MD, DO" where MD was just MD and DO stood for Diploma of Osteopathy. The proposal was shot down at the official SOMA meeting.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Some of you people act like DOs get asked every day by patients "what is an osteopathic physician?". I was asked that question more on the PE exam than I have been in real life. I can only recall maybe one or two times that I have ever seen a resident or attending explain the degree to a patient. I've spent way more time explaining what OMM is and the risks/benefits of it than I have the degree (which, you are still going to have to do even with a degree change). Patients know you are a physician. What more do you want? The vast majority of American-trained DOs stay in the states, why do we need a degree change for the very few people who want to go practice in a country where the DO degree is not full recognized as a medical degree? Following that logic, the MDs need a degree change too so the select few can practice in countries where their degree is not recognized. I am not much of a tradition kind of guy, but I like the DO degree that I have almost achieved. I would never advocate for a change in it. If you do not like the degree, then do not go to a DO school to pursue it!
It's about practicality and reality of the situation. This merger is just a step to consume osteopathic medicine. If we don't get ahead on it, we risk losing all.

First, AOA returned to the table because of no fellowship and not being able to do advanced placement residency. DO officially said they can't survive without MD. This move means more DOs ranking traditional ACGME spots since they can rank AOA in addition. ACGME prefers DO over Caribbean graduates. They are a danger due to money buying rotations. This is disguised with the temporary opening of more spots in AOA for Caribbean. Once many programs in the AOA get to be ACGME, will they bother with extra osteopathic stuff or pass up ACGME support? Not many would. Those most toxic programs will sink. Officially DO will be unable to ever go back.

Then once everyone has to take the USMLE, osteopathic growth is ceased. You can't be opening a bunch of WCU or Liberty with poor averages because they won't pass USMLE.

By this time they have already put AOA leadership in comfy power positions in ACGME. They can be leveraged with at this point because they are in total disadvantage.

What is the smart move? Join the fold. People that can't accept the future or don't use chaos as an opportunity are bound to lose.

Last edited:
The DO degree isn't changing any time soon. Maybe in 30-50 years, but as of now, its not going anywhere if only for historical reasons. I don't have a problem with that. If we were suddenly all forced to pay $65 and change the degree to MD like CA did in the 1960s, I probably wouldn't have a problem with that either. That said if we were told we could never speak of our osteopathic teachings again like they were, that might be a bit annoying, but seeing as how the ACGME just created an NMM RSS, I doubt that would happen.

I'm in this to be a physician. Call me whatever you want, as long as I get to work as that at the end of the day.

Last edited:
It's about practicality and reality of the situation. This merger is just a step to consume osteopathic medicine. If we don't get ahead on it, we risk losing all.

First, AOA returned to the table because of no fellowship and not being able to do advanced placement residency. DO officially said they can't survive without MD. This move means more DOs ranking traditional ACGME spots since they can rank AOA in addition. ACGME prefers DO over Caribbean graduates. They are a danger due to money buying rotations. This is disguised with the temporary opening of more spots in AOA for Caribbean. Once many programs in the AOA get to be ACGME, will they bother with extra osteopathic stuff or pass up ACGME support? Not many would. Those most toxic programs will sink. Officially DO will be unable to ever go back.

Then once everyone has to take the USMLE, osteopathic growth is ceased. You can't be opening a bunch of WCU or Liberty with poor averages because they won't pass USMLE.

By this time they have already put AOA leadership in comfy power positions in ACGME. They can be leveraged with at this point because they are in total disadvantage.

What is the smart move? Join the fold. People that can't accept the future or don't use chaos as an opportunity are bound to lose.

I have no idea what you are trying to argue. GME has nothing to do with the degree awarded by the school.

And where is your evidence that the majority of DO students could not pass the USMLE? Currently, DO students are taught to pass the COMLEX. Basic science exams (at least at my school) are geared to resemble COMLEX Level 1 questions. NBOME shelf exams for upper level students are meant to prepare DO students for COMLEX Level 2. All the standardized patient encounters I had to do were to prepare me for the PE exam. We are trained for the COMLEX, just like MD students are trained for the USMLE. Train DO students for the USMLE and perhaps we will have equal pass rates for the USMLE as MD students.

Again, I'm proud of the degree I have earned. I learned some cool musculoskeletal stuff that my patients, family and friends love. I do believe it works in the correct situation. But, most importantly, I will be a physician and will be able to help the children become and stay well. Will I have to occasionally explain my degree? Sure, but it is really that big of a deal? I'll be more focused and consumed about explaining the benefits of vaccination than my degree.

I have no idea what you are trying to argue. GME has nothing to do with the degree awarded by the school.

And where is your evidence that the majority of DO students could not pass the USMLE? Currently, DO students are taught to pass the COMLEX. Basic science exams (at least at my school) are geared to resemble COMLEX Level 1 questions. NBOME shelf exams for upper level students are meant to prepare DO students for COMLEX Level 2. All the standardized patient encounters I had to do were to prepare me for the PE exam. We are trained for the COMLEX, just like MD students are trained for the USMLE. Train DO students for the USMLE and perhaps we will have equal pass rates for the USMLE as MD students.

Again, I'm proud of the degree I have earned. I learned some cool musculoskeletal stuff that my patients, family and friends love. I do believe it works in the correct situation. But, most importantly, I will be a physician and will be able to help the children become and stay well. Will I have to occasionally explain my degree? Sure, but it is really that big of a deal? I'll be more focused and consumed about explaining the benefits of vaccination than my degree.
I didn't say that most DO students can't pass the USMLE. What I did say is you can't keep opening schools with such low averages since the correlation shows that people with lower mcat and gpa have a harder time passing.

The rest of your post doesn't address anything I said. I'm also proud of osteopathic medicine. It doesn't mean I gotta blind myself to reality.

I didn't say that most DO students can't pass the USMLE. What I did say is you can't keep opening schools with such low averages since the correlation shows that people with lower mcat and gpa have a harder time passing.

:thumbup:

For the record... why not just call each other physicians. get that word popular again and stick it to the "doctor" of nursing practice.

Physician is the only accurate term for what we do anyway. Or at least the most narrow term to catch all MDs and DOs (and MB BS's, MBBC's, etc)

Reactions: 5 users
For the record... why not just call each other physicians. get that word popular again and stick it to the "doctor" of nursing practice.

Physician is the only accurate term for what we do anyway. Or at least the most narrow term to catch all MDs and DOs (and MB BS's, MBBC's, etc)
Excellent suggestion to finally put this decades long distraction to rest. After 40 years of being a physician this non-issue—and it is a non-issue—must end.

Last edited:
By the way, I would like this post pinned forever to the top of the osteopathic forum:

For what must be the 10th time, a vote about changing the DO degree to *anything* else was soundly defeated by voters of SDN, which is almost certainly a cohort of the strongest DO degree critics around. Please do not waste time trying to see if the 11th time is a charm.

The vast majority of American-trained DOs stay in the states, why do we need a degree change for the very few people who want to go practice in a country where the DO degree is not full recognized as a medical degree?

You're not taking into account that many people (read: patients) in the U.S. aren't from the U.S. It's especially difficult to explain that our DOs are medical doctors to someone coming from a country where DO means chiropractor.

In a time when everyone is referring to themselves as doctors (nurse practioners, especially), I do think we're doing ourselves a huge disservice by drawing a distinction between ourselves and MDs.

Some students in SOMA already proposed this in 2010. They proposed looking into changing the degree to "MD, DO" where MD was just MD and DO stood for Diploma of Osteopathy. The proposal was shot down at the official SOMA meeting.

A lot has changed in the past 4 years, most notably the fact that NPs are getting online doctoral degrees and psychologists are getting prescription rights. So now, we don't just have MD versus DO. We have MD versus DO versus DNP versus PsyD and they ALL go by doctor to patients. Why in the world would we want to lump ourselves into the latter groups when we have worked our tails off to earn the distinction of the former?

It was in California and it ended in the 60s.

I also say if a DNP is legally considered a doctorate level degree, as is Doctor of Physical Therapy, then they earned the right to be called Doctor.

Not in a clinical setting they don't, in my opinion. You can get a doctorate in just about any field, but if you're not a doctor of MEDICINE, you shouldn't be calling yourself doctor in a hospital. It confuses the patients who think they're getting care from a medical doctor when they're talking to someone who took some theory classes online and is now calling themselves "doctor."

You're not taking into account that many people (read: patients) in the U.S. aren't from the U.S. It's especially difficult to explain that our DOs are medical doctors to someone coming from a country where DO means chiropractor.

In a time when everyone is referring to themselves as doctors (nurse practioners, especially), I do think we're doing ourselves a huge disservice by drawing a distinction between ourselves and MDs.

Actually, I didn't take into account those patients; however, how many foreign patients do you know that are not willing to be seen by a DO because of the degree because they are confused? They call to clinic, ask for a doctor and get scheduled with the available doc who is accepting new patients. There are an exceptional amount of patients from other countries in my community, and they never complained about seeing a DO nor were there any confusion. How often are you actually explaining the degree to individuals from other countries (or even US citizens for that matter)? They were being seen by a physician, and that is all they care about. Actually, that is pretty much what most patients care about.

And, I hear all these stories about NPs calling themselves doctors in a clinical setting, but I have yet to see it. I believe many of you are sensationalizing this idea. All the NPs I know introduce themselves by their first name. Everyone calls them by their first name. They have big badges that say "Nurse Practitioner" (rather than Physician that the docs wear).

Not in a clinical setting they don't, in my opinion. You can get a doctorate in just about any field, but if you're not a doctor of MEDICINE, you shouldn't be calling yourself doctor in a hospital. It confuses the patients who think they're getting care from a medical doctor when they're talking to someone who took some theory classes online and is now calling themselves "doctor."

Sadly, your opinions is not going to stop them, mind you. But its nice that you have opinions.

The best part of this thread is the first line of OP...."your response is important"

Lol.

In the words of Happy Gilmore, "Gold jacket, green jacket, who gives a ****?"

Reactions: 1 users
Actually, I didn't take into account those patients; however, how many foreign patients do you know that are not willing to be seen by a DO because of the degree because they are confused?

How would we know? I highly doubt they would call up a DOs office and say "I refuse to see you." All I'm saying is that having one degree to designate a medical doctor from all the ones who want to be called doctor is a good thing. It doesn't have to be MD and it doesn't have to be DO. I'm just making the point that there should be one title for a medical doctor.

There are an exceptional amount of patients from other countries in my community, and they never complained about seeing a DO nor were there any confusion

How do you know there was no confusion as opposed to patients just assuming you're an MD.

How often are you actually explaining the degree to individuals from other countries (or even US citizens for that matter)? They were being seen by a physician, and that is all they care about. Actually, that is pretty much what most patients care about

Your argument is flawed. You're essentially saying that the only reason to change the degree would be if patients complain or perpetually ask questions. What I'm saying is that it would be a smart move for medical doctors to band together since other groups are advancing their agendas. We're fighting to stay "separate but equal" while nurse practioners are doing the exact same thing. It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

And, I hear all these stories about NPs calling themselves doctors in a clinical setting, but I have yet to see it. I believe many of you are sensationalizing this idea. All the NPs I know introduce themselves by their first name. Everyone calls them by their first name. They have big badges that say "Nurse Practitioner" (rather than Physician that the docs wear).

Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean anyone is sensationalizing it. Read up on it if you haven't seen it with your own eyes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/02/health/policy/02docs.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

As for badges, yes, at some hospitals, I've seen the "NP" designation. However, not all hospitals do this. Some hospitals have Jane Doe, MD versus Jane, DO versus Jane Doe, DNP and all three want to be called "doctor."

Sadly, your opinions is not going to stop them, mind you. But its nice that you have opinions.

This whole thread is filled with opinions. No one said it was going to stop anything.

Meanwhile in the sane part of the world MDs don't give 2 sh*ts about title changes.

How would we know? I highly doubt they would call up a DOs office and say "I refuse to see you." All I'm saying is that having one degree to designate a medical doctor from all the ones who want to be called doctor is a good thing. It doesn't have to be MD and it doesn't have to be DO. I'm just making the point that there should be one title for a medical doctor.

If all the other clinical providers who have doctorates are calling themselves doctor as you say is happening, then what is even a unified degree going to do? It is just another set of letters for patients to become confused about if the degree changed. If the letters are anything other than MD, you will still be explaining the letters of your new degree to patients, and everybody would still be calling themselves "doctor". In other words, a new degree accomplished nothing.

How do you know there was no confusion as opposed to patients just assuming you're an MD.

Perhaps some of them do assume that we are MDs. That means they are assuming we are physicians, and they would be correct in that assumption. Some are aware of the DO initals, and they know that we are not the osteopaths of their country. Patients just want to see a physician (or PA/NP if that is there preference) and most are clueless to the degree. They just want help getting better or staying healthy.

Your argument is flawed. You're essentially saying that the only reason to change the degree would be if patients complain or perpetually ask questions. What I'm saying is that it would be a smart move for medical doctors to band together since other groups are advancing their agendas. We're fighting to stay "separate but equal" while nurse practioners are doing the exact same thing. It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

My argument is not flawed, and I was never advocating that there is any reason for a degree change. I was simply responding to the fact that you stated it was hard to explain the DO degree to foreign patients where the DO degree means something different. To your statement, I asked how many patients, both foreign and American, are you actually explaining the DO degree too? If you were honest with yourself, the number of patients is probably very small.

Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean anyone is sensationalizing it. Read up on it if you haven't seen it with your own eyes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/02/health/policy/02docs.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

As for badges, yes, at some hospitals, I've seen the "NP" designation. However, not all hospitals do this. Some hospitals have Jane Doe, MD versus Jane, DO versus Jane Doe, DNP and all three want to be called "doctor."

Are you seriously going to use this article as evidence for your argument? First, it is a newspaper article (and we all know that is the best level of evidence in the world ;)) Next, the article gives ONE example of nurse presenting herself as doctor, and then assumes every DNP is doing the same thing. If that is not sensationalism, then I don't know what is. I'll stick with my real-world observations to base my opinions upon. I'm sure these stories happen, but not as much as you would like to believe.

Now, this is not to mean that I am for NP expansion of independent practice rights and DNPs calling themselves doctors in a clinical setting. I am strictly opposed to that idea. But, you are not going to keep them from calling themselves "doctor" with a degree change on our part. You need legislation to prohibit these kinds of acts.

With that, I'm done with this thread. You know my stance and it is not going to change. I will not advocate for a degree change, and there is no point in arguing about it, especially online of all places. Like I said in my original post, if people do not like the degree, then do not pursue it.

Just a curiosity, how can we legally aim to achieve a degree change? Or is the only way for the AOA to say so?

Just a curiosity, how can we legally aim to achieve a degree change? Or is the only way for the AOA to say so?

It would require
1) The schools to all legally relicense as MD granting institutions (not clear who they must relicense through but....)
2) COCA to accept that new relicensing (even if the licencing is not actually submitted through them) as they are the accrediting body. And...
3) The MD world at large to accept MD degrees from previously DO granting institutions is the same*

* this would, ironically, probably the the easiest one to acheive. The idea of integration is *more popular* among MD students, residents, and program directors than it is among their DO cohorts from everything I've seen. The only person who might be pissed about this is the AAMC who, unless they absorb AACOM at some point, would not have control over the DO schools despite granting their MD degree.

My initial reaction every time this thread resurfaces:

post-14539-Oh-is-that-what-we-re-gonna-do-aOFR.jpeg

I happen to like being a DO. I don't think there is any need to change the degree. I love opportunities to explain to patients what my profession is all about if they are interested. Most of all, I love to demonstrate how my training as a DO illustrates our differences from MDs.

I happen to like being a DO. I don't think there is any need to change the degree. I love opportunities to explain to patients what my profession is all about if they are interested. Most of all, I love to demonstrate how my training as a DO illustrates our differences from MDs.

I mean I don't think that in a hospital cancer patients really care that you can do OMM unless that's a rebrand of weed.

Reactions: 3 users
A lot has changed in the past 4 years, most notably the fact that NPs are getting online doctoral degrees and psychologists are getting prescription rights. So now, we don't just have MD versus DO. We have MD versus DO versus DNP versus PsyD and they ALL go by doctor to patients. Why in the world would we want to lump ourselves into the latter groups when we have worked our tails off to earn the distinction of the former?

The changes you are talking about haven't only happened in the last 4 years. Everything you mentioned has been happening or in the works for at least a decade if not longer. Like I mentioned before, I could care less whether people want to change the degree or not, but this issue hasn't cahnged in the last 4 years, nor has it really changed in the last 10-15 years.

The changes you are talking about haven't only happened in the last 4 years. Everything you mentioned has been happening or in the works for at least a decade if not longer. Like I mentioned before, I could care less whether people want to change the degree or not, but this issue hasn't cahnged in the last 4 years, nor has it really changed in the last 10-15 years.
With the explosion of psychology prescribing, I would not be shocked if psychiatry merges with psychology and be similar to having dental or podiatry schools.