NHSC Application 2016 is Officially Open!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dont worry im in the same boat :(, Anyone know what will appear on the creditkarma page if we do get ours checked?
Mine was under "hard inquiry." You have to click it to see the list of credit checks on your report

Reactions: 1 user
Wait, so they haven't reviewed our application yet?
Doesn't look like it! In past years, the credit checks have been performed at the start of the review process, which seems a bit strange. I'm not sure why everyone doesn't receive one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my credit checked June 14

I guess I will be waiting up until 12:01 am to see if credit karma posts my updated credit report then. If not, it will be another long night.

I got my credit checked also on 06/14/16! But I also got my credit checked last year on 06/11/15 but did not receive the scholarship :(
I think I have a theory on credit checks
So if your application is complete and accurate (basically if you followed directions) it is sent forward to review and this is when you get the credit check
The reason for those who don't get their credit checked is probably because their application is incomplete or inconsistent.
Those people who do get their credit checked move on to the review process where you may or may not get selected.
Hope this helps!

For anyone who got a credit check, when does it say on your credit karma was the date of your last report update?

I got my credit checked by credco on 6/14 as well!
People who got their credits checked...when did you apply? Like towards the beginning (early April)? i just want to know if they are checking by submission date? Thanks

People who got their credits checked...when did you apply? Like towards the beginning (early April)? i just want to know if they are checking by submission date? Thanks
I don't think there's any rhyme or reason to it. I applied just a few days before the deadline

For those of you whose credit karma account is not updated to show 6/14, you can make an account on annualcreditreport.com and check Equifax credit inquiries from there.

My credit karma account was last updated 6/13, but I checked annualcreditreport.com and there was also no pull from Credco, so I'm losing hope real quick :(

Reactions: 1 users
For those of you whose credit karma account is not updated to show 6/14, you can make an account on annualcreditreport.com and check Equifax credit inquiries from there.

My credit karma account was last updated 6/13, but I checked annualcreditreport.com and there was also no pull from Credco, so I'm losing hope real quick :(
There's always next year :)

I tried that and it said I would have to do it by email because they couldn't verify my identity which was very strange.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Its unfortunate that we don't know the reason for no check. I am sure it is because they deemed our file incomplete in some way, like someone previously mentioned, but we'll never know. I called the NHSC and they cannot give us specifics about our file either, just that it's under review....sighhh

Members don't see this ad :)
Its unfortunate that we don't know the reason for no check. I am sure it is because they deemed our file incomplete in some way, like someone previously mentioned, but we'll never know. I called the NHSC and they cannot give us specifics about our file either, just that it's under review....sighhh
Uhhhh I agree . I didn't get my credit checked and I'm so over this speculation!!!!!!!

Thanks for this tip!

Per annualcreditreport.com, my credit was checked on 6/14 by CREDCO. Now I can stop checking SDN every hour.

Reactions: 2 users
no credit check. who else wants to join the club? I guess disadvantaged status doesn't mean much after all

Credit check on 6/14. DO applicant/disadvantaged. Now for another month and some change of waiting before finalist emails go out.

Credit check on 6/14 as well. Is the credit check just used as a way to filter/screen applicants?

I tried that and it said I would have to do it by email because they couldn't verify my identity which was very strange.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Same thing happened to me. I guess i somehow answered the multiple choice questions wrong?? Now I have to wait 2 more days to check creditkarma.... :(

I got my credit checked also on 06/14/16! But I also got my credit checked last year on 06/11/15 but did not receive the scholarship :(
I think I have a theory on credit checks
So if your application is complete and accurate (basically if you followed directions) it is sent forward to review and this is when you get the credit check
The reason for those who don't get their credit checked is probably because their application is incomplete or inconsistent.
Those people who do get their credit checked move on to the review process where you may or may not get selected.
Hope this helps!

What do you think made your application incomplete last time?

Quick question to you folks -- When you click on the link to "View your submitted application" ...do you only get a 10 page print out of the information you typed in? Or do you see the attached files you uploaded (e.g., transcripts, essays, etc.) as part of the PDF as well?

PS: Reapplicant; Exceptional need status; Disadvantaged status; NO credit check. I'm wondering if there's something wrong with my application that is causing me to slip through the cracks?

Quick question to you folks -- When you click on the link to "View your submitted application" ...do you only get a 10 page print out of the information you typed in? Or do you see the attached files you uploaded (e.g., transcripts, essays, etc.) as part of the PDF as well?

I get the print out of the app I filled in online, and no attached files are seen in that document.

PS: Reapplicant; Exceptional need status; Disadvantaged status; NO credit check. I'm wondering if there's something wrong with my application that is causing me to slip through the cracks?

I'm in the same shoes with same status. I verified multiple times that my app was complete and followed all the rules by checking that large information packet.

Not to be a debbie downer, but according to the 2014 and 2015 cycle threads, every single person who did not get their credit checked was rejected, which leads me to believe that this is an initial filter that NHSC goes through before a formal review of the app. My guess is, they check to make sure that the file is complete, then do the credit check on all complete files to make sure you're not default on any loans, and then send it to review (review period being 6/14 to 6/23).

So if this is the case, and if we did not even get the credit check, it leads me to believe that there was something in our app (like you said), that caused it to slip through the cracks. It's too bad that we won't find out what exactly that reason is. I am going to keep trying though. Will let you know if I find out anything by contacting NHSC.

I'm in the same shoes with same status. I verified multiple times that my app was complete and followed all the rules by checking that large information packet.

Not to be a debbie downer, but according to the 2014 and 2015 cycle threads, every single person who did not get their credit checked was rejected, which leads me to believe that this is an initial filter that NHSC goes through before a formal review of the app. My guess is, they check to make sure that the file is complete, then do the credit check on all complete files to make sure you're not default on any loans, and then send it to review (review period being 6/14 to 6/23).

So if this is the case, and if we did not even get the credit check, it leads me to believe that there was something in our app (like you said), that caused it to slip through the cracks. It's too bad that we won't find out what exactly that reason is. I am going to keep trying though. Will let you know if I find out anything by contacting NHSC.

Thanks aspiringdentist. Did you get a chance to look into my original question? What do you see when you download your application via "View your submitted application"? I ask this because when I try to download my uploaded documents, they come out very weird (I need to download the files onto my desktop and add the "pdf" extension in order to view my files). This was an issue both this application cycle and the last time I applied a couple of years ago and I wanted to see if this was an issue for others.

I posted this in the NHSC forum over for osteopathic, but I thought it might be helpful for you guys, too. This is based on perusing last years comments:

It looks like the first sign of movement are credit checks, from CREDCO, and they being around mid-June. From past comments, it looks like a credit check is required; however, there's a second batch of credit checks mid-July for a second round of applications going through review. I'm unsure if there's more than two rounds of checks. One commenter wrote that there is "no way you will be selected without a credit check."

Thanks aspiringdentist. Did you get a chance to look into my original question? What do you see when you download your application via "View your submitted application"? I ask this because when I try to download my uploaded documents, they come out very weird (I need to download the files onto my desktop and add the "pdf" extension in order to view my files). This was an issue both this application cycle and the last time I applied a couple of years ago and I wanted to see if this was an issue for others.

When I download the application, I get the print out of the app I filled in online, and no attached files are seen in that document just like you said.

And same, when I download the attached documents, they are not in "PDF" format... I have to add PDF extension and then they open. Hmmmm... I wonder if this is the reason. Maybe this doesn't happen to everyone. Only someone who has their credit checked can answer that for us.

When I download the application, I get the print out of the app I filled in online, and no attached files are seen in that document just like you said.

And same, when I download the attached documents, they are not in "PDF" format... I have to add PDF extension and then they open. Hmmmm... I wonder if this is the reason. Maybe this doesn't happen to everyone. Only someone who has their credit checked can answer that for us.

Thank you!

Would anyone who has had their credit checked be willing to let us know what they see when they view their submitted application?

Maybe you both slipped through the cracks because you didn't actually qualify for the "Exceptional Financial Need" status. To qualify for that you must have received a specific monetary award from your school. They are federal and very few schools actually give that out. Therefore, if you didn't actually receive that award then the government would know... so maybe that's why your applications were in "error"....

Maybe you both slipped through the cracks because you didn't actually qualify for the "Exceptional Financial Need" status. To qualify for that you must have received a specific monetary award from your school. They are federal and very few schools actually give that out. Therefore, if you didn't actually receive that award then the government would know... so maybe that's why your applications were in "error"....
I'm guessing that's what happened to me...

I got my credit checked and when I look at the application, all I see is the list of submitted PDFs. I don't actually see the PDFs I submitted.

I'm guessing that's what happened to me...

I had the EFN and disadvantage status though... so I doubt that was the reason.

I got my credit checked and when I look at the application, all I see is the list of submitted PDFs. I don't actually see the PDFs I submitted.

Thank you! What happens when you open the attached files though? Are you able to open them normally, or do you have to add ".pdf" at the end for them to open?

That's certainly possible. The director of my school's financial aid office is the individual who verified this status for me. I'm not sure what else to say about that. But that is something I can ask about in the future and see if that caused my app to be flagged for any reason.

Also -- thanks to Boshwag for looking into this for us.

What do you think made your application incomplete last time?
I don't think my application was incomplete last year ( I received a credit check last year), I just was not selected in the review process.

Thank you! What happens when you open the attached files though? Are you able to open them normally, or do you have to add ".pdf" at the end for them to open?
I did not have my credit checked but I can still open the files normally. Idk if that helps lol

Thank you!

Would anyone who has had their credit checked be willing to let us know what they see when they view their submitted application?

I received a credit check and I see a list of the documents I submitted and when I click on them I can download them in .pdf

That's certainly possible. The director of my school's financial aid office is the individual who verified this status for me. I'm not sure what else to say about that. But that is something I can ask about in the future and see if that caused my app to be flagged for any reason.

Also -- thanks to Boshwag for looking into this for us.
My financial aid office signed my EFN status, but I heard another employee yell over and say that EFN status is granted by "Section blah blah blah" of the government's federal funding. And he made it sound like EFN was VERY rare. So i'm assuming that employee may have been right after all.

How do you see whether or not credco checked your credit score? Where do we find that within Equifax?

How do you see whether or not credco checked your credit score? Where do we find that within Equifax?

If you're looking at annualcreditreport, there's an "Inquiries" tab on the side and it also tells you on the "Latest Inquiries" on the front page.

For Credit Karma, there's a "Credit Reports" tab and it shows your inquiries in there

I love how the dental NHSC is the most popular every year despite being DO, MD, PA, etc

Reactions: 3 users
My application says "Under Review" is there still hope?

Log into your account on CreditKarma.com. If you don't have an account, you'll need to make one first. After logging in, click on "Credit Reports" on the left hand side. Scroll down to the "Credit Inquiries" section. Take a look at whether you've had any credit inquiries on your Equifax report, which should be on the right side of that section.

I found it! Thanks guys, there's no pull from Credco. Should I lost hope?

Re-applicant. I received a credit check last year, 6/11/2015. I was not chosen as a finalist. As of today, I have not received a credit check. They may do multiple credit checks days. Each year, there is an increasing number of applicants. If we didn't get our credit check, don't panic. Its not over until you get the acceptance or rejection letter. Stay calm!

Reactions: 3 users
I found it! Thanks guys, there's no pull from Credco. Should I lost hope?

Technically, you can probably keep hoping until September/October-ish when they send rejection letters. You'll never know what can happen until then. That said, you might want to do other things to keep your mind off of this for a while! Congrats to everyone who has had their credit checked at this point, and good luck!!

Re-applicant. I received a credit check last year, 6/11/2015. I was not chosen as a finalist. As of today, I have not received a credit check. They may do multiple credit checks days. Each year, there is an increasing number of applicants. If we didn't get our credit check, don't panic. Its not over until you get the acceptance or rejection letter. Stay calm!

Thanks for the nugget of hope Madame. Were you ever able to follow up with anyone for constructive feedback on your application before this current cycle? I'd love to get feedback at some point if that were even a possibility. Good luck to you!

Thanks for the nugget of hope Madame. Were you ever able to follow up with anyone for constructive feedback on your application before this current cycle? I'd love to get feedback at some point if that were even a possibility. Good luck to you!
Thanks!

This scholarship was a long shot in the first place anyway. I figured I had about a 5% chance. Seeing as though I barely got into dental school... I didn't figure I had much of a shot against all the other people who got into dental school.

Technically, you can probably keep hoping until September/October-ish when they send rejection letters. You'll never know what can happen until then. That said, you might want to do other things to keep your mind off of this for a while! Congrats to everyone who has had their credit checked at this point, and good luck!!
Last year, they emailed rejection letters late July and early august. The painful waiting period should be over for everyone by early August. If previous year patterns are still true, we should all know something in a month. Its still early!

Same for me. My latest report on credit inquiries is from June 10. I created my account on June 3. So perhaps tomorrow I will see something.

Darn it I created mine June 6 and now won't find out til next Monday. The wait is dreadful and killing me.