NMAT tips

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maia

snoerkel
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi!
can anyone share some tips on how to prep for the NMAT?
like what kind of books to read, subjects, or your different studying styles, or things you did before hitting the books (like jogging, for max learning? :laugh: ) etc?

how did you find it? (especially to those who did their undergrad in the Phils) was it harder or easier than you thought it would be?
I've read some good tips in the forums and the Phil school threads but they were scattered...

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

maia said:
hi!
can anyone share some tips on how to prep for the NMAT?
like what kind of books to read, subjects, or your different studying styles, or things you did before hitting the books (like jogging, for max learning? :laugh: ) etc?

how did you find it? (especially to those who did their undergrad in the Phils) was it harder or easier than you thought it would be?
I've read some good tips in the forums and the Phil school threads but they were scattered...

thanks!
Other than the academic side, rest and sleep early the day prior to your exam.
You can skip items but come back to these skipped items and dont leave anything blank or unanswered (it's multiple choice so you might want to take a chance). Be confident.

it's kinda difficult to say on which subject to concetrate... for example in chem, most of the items are in gen chem, but a sum were also from biochem and org chem... i would suggest that you buy review books or attend review class just to familiarize yourself again with physics, chem and biology...

Members don't see this ad :)
pray a lot, sleep & eat well.

concentrate well, focus on the exam. :D

Are there any books available at all for NMAT prep? Or should you just use an MCAT book if you're in the states?

you could actually use mcat review materials...

byrdj said:
Are there any books available at all for NMAT prep? Or should you just use an MCAT book if you're in the states?

You can actually follow the suggestions of Spartan Doc in the Filipino Medical shools thread.

Haven't we had this conversation before?

There are NMAT review books available in Manila. A good bookseller should be able to get one for you if you don't have a relative in Manila to go shopping for you. It'll cost around 120 pesos. The review book I used was a slim green volume which did just fine.

In addition CEM will give you one complete practice test when you sign up for the test.

Between the two you will know exactly what type of topics will be on the test.

Saipan said:
Haven't we had this conversation before?

There are NMAT review books available in Manila. A good bookseller should be able to get one for you if you don't have a relative in Manila to go shopping for you. It'll cost around 120 pesos. The review book I used was a slim green volume which did just fine.

In addition CEM will give you one complete practice test when you sign up for the test.

Between the two you will know exactly what type of topics will be on the test.

Yeah there is one complete test that is a practice test that is given from the NMAT that is taken in the US. I took the one from New York. It gave a sample test. I assume the LA testing which was given a week later also gave a practice test.

To be honest I think you need to just review some of your MCAT stuff if you really want to. But NMAT is way easier than MCAT, i think you need to be relax and not worry so much about it. Becaue if you did okay in the MCAT the NMAT will be a breeze honestly.

Just look at the sections in the test that weren't part of the MCAT..like the observation part and the numbers part. Also the social sciences...those were my hard part since i didn't really look at the practice exam until i came to new york the night before and had no clue what to do. But i hear the number part was one of the easier part.

Yeah look for the review from one of your relative. I believe i saw a red one which was like question and like info for studying. While the other one was just an ansewer book. Not sure what color they were, but I saw some studentes with that NMAT review books during the break.

Saipan is correct. Just in case you can't get any reviewer, don't stress over it. Most schools don't have any cutoff score. The few schools that I know with cutoff scores are: UP(90), UST(officially 65 but needs to be in the 80's to be safe), St. Luke's (officially 65 but some students got in with lower scores), UERM(55), Cebu Doctors (50).