no internship this summer, my future job prospects looking bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmD1988

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I finished my P1 year but despite my best efforts I could not find a job as an intern in both retail and hospital settings. I also tried to get a nuclear pharmacy internship but had no luck either. My question is that even if I do well during my rotations, does the lack of internship experience effect me when it comes to job hunting come graduation/pre-graduation time. right now im working as a research assistant for a pharmacology department at a hospital associated with a university.

just concerned I might viewed as a slacker to the hiring manager.

Members don't see this ad.

Take it from my own experience: No internship/working experience -

- Definitely hard to get a retail job, especially when the companies like to hire their intern from within.
- Maybe to not-so-much effect on the prospect of hospital/clinical residency - it's more dependent on your clinical rotations, academic performance, and extracurricular activities. Research and publications will be a huge plus!

Of course, it depends on where you eventually want to work. Major urban vs. rural and there are 3 more years left for you to explore the profession, so just try to relax this summer ;)

I don't know if you are in the West Lafayette/Purdue area for the summer, but if you are; the hospital I work at is hiring interns. PM me for details if you are interested.

Members don't see this ad :)
Funny that you think retail companies would be more discerning of your previous internships than health systems. Based on the amount of cross over of people between chains, I just don't think they care honestly. You're a body that can fill a slot on the schedule.

I don't mean to sound bitter. :laugh: This is just what I've seen in my area.

Hey everyone,

I finished my P1 year but despite my best efforts I could not find a job as an intern in both retail and hospital settings. I also tried to get a nuclear pharmacy internship but had no luck either. My question is that even if I do well during my rotations, does the lack of internship experience effect me when it comes to job hunting come graduation/pre-graduation time. right now im working as a research assistant for a pharmacology department at a hospital associated with a university.

just concerned I might viewed as a slacker to the hiring manager.

Why the defeatist attitude? You're only going to be a P2... Be persistent in applying for jobs- this time of year lots of interns are either graduating P4's or P3's going on rotations. Talk to your professors about job leads, shoot emails to directors in hospitals, walk in and speak to the head pharmacist at a community pharmacy. There are opportunities out there... don't give up!

Funny that you think retail companies would be more discerning of your previous internships than health systems. Based on the amount of cross over of people between chains, I just don't think they care honestly. You're a body that can fill a slot on the schedule.

I don't mean to sound bitter. :laugh: This is just what I've seen in my area.

FWIW, of all the new graduates to get a full-time retail gig in my district, only one wasn't an intern with the company. They just happened to like that person enough during their rotation with them.

Why the defeatist attitude? You're only going to be a P2... Be persistent in applying for jobs- this time of year lots of interns are either graduating P4's or P3's going on rotations. Talk to your professors about job leads, shoot emails to directors in hospitals, walk in and speak to the head pharmacist at a community pharmacy. There are opportunities out there... don't give up!
didnt mean to sound like a defeatist but all these facebook posts about ppl posting about their internship experiences has got me concerned about the future. dont want to look far ahead but also want to do my best to ensure i get something when i graduate/get licensed.

I will definitely try more harder in the summer after P2 year but just wanted to hear your thoughts. even some of the rural areas and undesired areas have been picky with the recent graduates they have, so I just want to get some insight.

didnt mean to sound like a defeatist but all these facebook posts about ppl posting about their internship experiences has got me concerned about the future. dont want to look far ahead but also want to do my best to ensure i get something when i graduate/get licensed.

Then get off facebook and get on your local retail chain/hospitals employment page :smuggrin:

I will definitely try more harder in the summer after P2 year but just wanted to hear your thoughts. even some of the rural areas and undesired areas have been picky with the recent graduates they have, so I just want to get some insight.

Why wait until next summer? If you're against working during the school year then most places will toss your application in the bin. Working a shift every weekend or every other weekend is all they really expect.

Yes, it will affect you and I would disagree with one of the posters above in that it will have a negative effect whether you want to go retail or do residency/hospital after you graduate. Just keep looking for a job and don't give up. As someone else mentioned, you just finished P1 so you still have time...but don't let that make you complacent. You should try to find an internship as soon as possible. The time in pharmacy school slips away from you quickly.