Nova Southeastern Univ (NSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I submitted my secondary today once I got the email. I called NOVA and they told me to go ahead and submit my LORs via Interfolio.
However....she also said I should submit my official transcripts to them as well (in addition to the ones sent to AACOMAS). I asked if this should be done NOW or once I am offered an interview or accepted. She insisted that I should send them NOW. I am going to wait until I get an official email or something requesting that. Transcripts are somewhat of a hassle for me (lots of schools, foreign credentials, etc...) so I want to wait for that. Their website says that they should be sent AFTER acceptance. I told the lady on the phone this, but she said that this was for people that were currently in school. If you are done with school (which I am), you should submit now. Anybody have a similar experience? Any thoughts?

I'd listen to her

Members don't see this ad.

I submitted my secondary today once I got the email. I called NOVA and they told me to go ahead and submit my LORs via Interfolio.
However....she also said I should submit my official transcripts to them as well (in addition to the ones sent to AACOMAS). I asked if this should be done NOW or once I am offered an interview or accepted. She insisted that I should send them NOW. I am going to wait until I get an official email or something requesting that. Transcripts are somewhat of a hassle for me (lots of schools, foreign credentials, etc...) so I want to wait for that. Their website says that they should be sent AFTER acceptance. I told the lady on the phone this, but she said that this was for people that were currently in school. If you are done with school (which I am), you should submit now. Anybody have a similar experience? Any thoughts?

Wait for them to directly tell you they want your transcripts, otherwise it may annoy the wrong person. Remember you are responsible for your application no one else.
Also I am not to sure but I think you can send your LORs in anytime after submitting the sec but they should send you an email asking you to submit them

What kind of letter are you guys using for the liberal arts letter? Im guessing any non science letter will suffice?

I wondered (and hoped) the same...

not sure though. liberal arts has such a...liberal...definition ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I wondered (and hoped) the same...

not sure though. liberal arts has such a...liberal...definition ;)

Right? I just sent them an email but sent my kines letter (social science) just in case it works. Otherwise I got problems hahaha

The requirements page I'm looking at just says a non science but that's only if you don't have a committee

What kind of letter are you guys using for the liberal arts letter? Im guessing any non science letter will suffice?

I have no non-science so I'm going to hope they take an extra science and/or my employer letter.

Idk, but AACOMAS has my transcripts so I'll just send them anyway.

The requirements page I'm looking at just says a non science but that's only if you don't have a committee

I hope thats the case. The requirements page provided through their email link said otherwise though. Not sure why they want liberal arts?

For describing your health care activities, did you guys just copy and paste from AACOMAS?

submitted my secondary and LORs just now.

I was really brief with my descriptions, I literally just put what it was, not what I learned. I was more brief than I was on AACOMAS.

look further...(read in rafiki from lion kings voice)

its two science and a L arts if your schools doesn't have a committee, which mine doesn't

Members don't see this ad :)
submitted my secondary and LORs just now.

I was really brief with my descriptions, I literally just put what it was, not what I learned. I was more brief than I was on AACOMAS.

yeah, I learned the hard way...I had made a CV for CCOM/AZCOM and tried to use it, but they cut you off at 2000 character...

Secondary complete email, secondary email invite, secondary complete our bad email.

At least there quick

I got all those in probably 7 minutes

Under the application procedures part it says "liberal arts professor" but in the link it says "non-science" not sure what to do.

For you guys who have gotten secondaries, did you have MCAT scores already? I'm wondering if I have to wait until my MCAT scores release at the end of this month before I get a secondary.

Submitted earlier today! :)

For everyone worrying about the letter requirement, non-science pretty much is liberal arts. According to Wikipedia (lol), liberal arts can be associated with history, english, literature, math, music, psychology, philosophy, political science, etc. It even says "Science", but obviously this is not what they mean. We are being too literal when they say liberal arts and non-science. They are one in the same for the most part.

For you guys who have gotten secondaries, did you have MCAT scores already? I'm wondering if I have to wait until my MCAT scores release at the end of this month before I get a secondary.

Yeah, I had my MCAT scores already. I've had them since 2010, lol

That sounds like a likely reason why

Submitted earlier today! :)

For everyone worrying about the letter requirement, non-science pretty much is liberal arts. According to Wikipedia (lol), liberal arts can be associated with history, english, literature, math, music, psychology, philosophy, political science, etc. It even says "Science", but obviously this is not what they mean. We are being too literal when they say liberal arts and non-science. They are one in the same for the most part.

I wonder if kinesiology falls under this category? I had a professor teach me a couple classes that had kinesiology prefix (Kins 250 for example) but weren't scientifically based at all (introduction to coaching) and had her write a letter.....

I don't have mine in yet or at least I didn't when they sent the email

Err I don't have a liberal arts or non-science letter.... when do they have to be in? Will they send interviews without having all my LORs?

Has anyone successfully requested a secondary fee waiver from Nova? I don't know if I should try to get one (I was granted a fee waiver from AACOMAS) or if I should just submit as early as possible and pay the $50.

Submit today. Didn't worry about the fee waiver because they said nothing about it on there. You guys got me all worried about not having a non-science letter but then I checked out the website and realized that if you have a committee letter, you don't need any other faculty letters so I don't have to worry about it!

Submit today. Didn't worry about the fee waiver because they said nothing about it on there. You guys got me all worried about not having a non-science letter but then I checked out the website and realized that if you have a committee letter, you don't need any other faculty letters so I don't have to worry about it!

I have no committee at my school but my pre-health advisor wrote me a letter. Hopefully that will work for the "non-science" letter.

I didn't yet. The email even says that you could submit the secondary without having your score yet...so you should probably get it soon.

Hey guys, I'm an M2 at Nova, so if you have any questions especially as you get farther into the application season, let me know.

Glancing through this thread so far:

- I know we definitely have a few Canadians in our class (some of them seem to mention it all the time...)

- I'm pretty sure I didn't have my letters submitted before I got invited to interview, although I think I got them in by the time I actually did the interview or soon after. I'm also fairly sure I didn't send my transcripts in until I was accepted, but I'm not positive about that and things could have changed.

- There's absolutely a significant number of non-traditional students in our class. Several people are 25-35 or older.

- You don't need to be fluent or even bad at Spanish, though it would be helpful just because we are in South Florida. The health fair I volunteered at this year had several patients who spoke Spanish (and also several who spoke French, which surprised me - apparently there's a large pocket of that as well). We haven't even started our 'medical Spanish' course yet, since they changed it between the class of 2014 and us, so I'm not sure how it will be set up yet.

Good luck with everything, and try not to drive yourself too nuts - it's still way too early for that :rolleyes:

Hey guys, I'm an M2 at Nova, so if you have any questions especially as you get farther into the application season, let me know.

- I know we definitely have a few Canadians in our class (some of them seem to mention it all the time...)

- I'm pretty sure I didn't have my letters submitted before I got invited to interview, although I think I got them in by the time I actually did the interview or soon after. I'm also fairly sure I didn't send my transcripts in until I was accepted, but I'm not positive about that and things could have changed.

- There's absolutely a significant number of non-traditional students in our class. Several people are 25-35 or older.

- You don't need to be fluent or even bad at Spanish, though it would be helpful just because we are in South Florida. The health fair I volunteered at this year had several patients who spoke Spanish (and also several who spoke French, which surprised me - apparently there's a large pocket of that as well). We haven't even started our 'medical Spanish' course yet, since they changed it between the class of 2014 and us, so I'm not sure how it will be set up yet.

Good luck with everything, and try not to drive yourself too nuts - it's still way too early for that :rolleyes:

This is a pretty superficial question, but is the campus really as beautiful as the pictures make it seem? Inside of buildings, labs, etc?

I actually speak French fluently and I know that they have a TON of Quebecois there from about October until Easter in Hollywood FL. Would you say I'd actually get a lot of opportunities to use this in patient treatment or do they seem to be pretty infrequent? When visiting the area last December I got the impression that they don't really use FL's resources... just their beaches. I also speak some Spanish but it's super limited so I'm excited about the prospect of taking the spanish class.

did you gentlemen/ladies receive your secondary via email? if not, can you post the link? Thank you :)

The secondary didn't say anything about sending in transcripts. I'm not sure why they would need transcripts if AACOMAS has them and our applications are verified. Why would they tell one applicant about sending in transcripts but not the others?

I hope LOR's aren't necessary before interview invites. I may not get them in until late July.

And is knowing some Spanish an unwritten prerequisite for Nova? I don't know any Spanish. I took French throughout high and a few semesters in college, but I don't really remember much.

Found this on a different thread from 2010. It's a little old but it provides some answers to questions that are asked a lot.

POSTED AS PER REQUEST BY ANONYMOUS.

NSU-COM

Curriculum:
The curriculum differs highly from M1 year to M2 year. M1 year the classes and faculty are from the "College of Medical Sciences" not the "College of Osteopathic Medicine" these basic science professors therefore do not answer to the medical school. These basic science professors teach at the Dental School, Optometry, etc, etc. Because of this I feel the first year curriculum is not well organised and massive amounts of material are presented in differing fashion by the professors (from writing on an overhead projector pathways to powerpoints and current research from others) That being said, the Histology Department and Anatomy Department are fantastic. Dr. Dribin and Dr. Conover who have been with NSU-COM since the beginning will teach you well. I have nothing but praises for the anatomy and histo departments.. likewise Neuroanatomy is taught well. M1 year is basically scheduled in semesters with class all over the place. Imagine undergrad but taking 34 credits.

M2 year is completely different, most of the professors have MD/DO and many have PhDs, JDs, on top of their medical degree. They are usually practicing physicians. Classes are all recorded and you can view them at home or where ever. The scheduling is by organ system Blocks, which in my opinion is better. From what i have heard, M2 year makes up for any deficiencies you may think you have had during M1 year.

Davie ,FL. Davie is west of Ft.Lauderdale by like 10 minutes. Davie frankly sucksm there is traffic and yea it sucks. Palm Beach County is 20min+ north and Miami is 20min+ south. There are major highways coming near the campus so it makes traveling easy.

Cost: No clue, but it went up this year and i complained.

Faculty: M1 yr= college of medical sciences, (great anatomy/histo departments) The rest of the departments vary by professor. M2 yr faculty = college of osteo med. Practicing MD/DO that teach their various specialties in corresponding blocks.

OMM: We have 3 kinda renowned professors, Dr. Wallace, Dr. Bosler, Dr. Sandhouse. In the DO world everyone knows these guys. Dr. Sandhouse writes for Comlex, and you will see why and know exactly which questions are his on exams. I have never heard of anyone doing poorly on OMM on complex from Nova, on the contrary everyone does exceptionally well.

Clinical Rotations: Rotations here are done on a lottery system. You rank all the rotation sites and then depending on which lottery number you get you are correspondingly matched to your site rankings. Broward General Hospital (Ft.Laudy), Mount Sinai Hospital (Miami), Palmetto General Hospital (Miami), Memorial (Broward), Palms West Hospital (Palm Beach), Colombia Hospital (Palm Beach), etc. etc. are just some of them. You may be doing clinical rotations with students from University of Miami, Florida Atlantic University, Florida International University, Carribean schools. etc. I think? I could be wrong. These are all MD schools and most have their own dedicated sites, but they end up everywhere. Rotations are mostly in south florida, but there are sites in Tampa, Orlando, New York, etc. South Florida has many different types of cultures and populations and a big international presence so you will see cool stuff.

Housing: Around campus they rob you. But the furthur you get the prices drop. Remember this is still south florida, so it may expensive to you. Most people move again for their 3rd/4th yrs. You definately need a car. You may be living in palm beach, miami or else where for your 3rd/4th yr. You can commute to davie from these locations. In 2 hours u can get from south miami to north palm beach county.. with davie in the middle west ward, no traffic of course. Some people live in ft.lauderdale and commute to class 1st/2nd year since they want to be near the beach guess.

Study areas: Health Professions Division Library (small library, mostly study tables, kinda gets packed when other programs feel they should study.) There are a bunch of study rooms u check out for 3hr periods. There is a seperate building that has a bunch more rooms. Main Campus Library (hours aren't as good and u have to deal with undergrads, but its more space) Law Library (more study spots). Rosenthein? Rosenstein? Building has large rooms to study. And finally the University Center is open 24/7 to study. (it has a gym, cafeteria, star bucks, study tables scattered, and a convenience store).

Social Scene: The social scene is huge here and if your not from florida try not to get lost in it. The same reason u might have famous doctors teaching you in some community or university hospital is the same reason u need to stay focused here. The weather is amazing (to stare at from the library), beach is amazing, downtown ft.lauderdale has tons of night life, other programs may be their literally every night. Palm Beach County has good night life, and then there is Miami. Miami has the top nightclubs in the world, then theirs the food, people, etc. So as long as u can focus, then it shouldn't be a problem. Just don't expect to go to med school and do those things. Work hard play hard?

Board Prep: M1 and M2 year you have a class called Clinical Reasoning which is aimed to start making you think in terms of cases studies and integrading disciplines. M2 year u have a class called "Board Review" where u do problems from Comsae, Kaplan Q bank, UWorld, or where ever. There is a panel of professors that walk you through how to solve them and using First Aid. There is an optional Saturday class with Dr. Raymond who teaches for Kaplan USMLE on top of being faculty at the University of Miami. He reviews everything high yield on the block your on. Nova starting first year provides you with a set of Kaplan USMLE books, and second year you get online access to Kaplan materials including Qbank. Many students start using FA early, doing gunnertraining, and pathoma. In the past students have not done to the administrations expectations on their board exams, given the quality of students being accepted, so this is why all these things have been implemented.

Additional: Dress code is ceil blue scrubs or dress clothes with lab coat. There are tons of other programs around u studying much less than you. Some students in your class have gone to UPenn or Colombia and and others come from small colleges, some people have 36/38 mcats others 24s. Wide variety in students. Administration is very laid back. Rules are flexible and problems that arise are taken at a situational basis. The administration is trying to change a bunch of stuff and doing research on you to see if u produce better board scores. So you may feel like a guinie pig.. we all did also.

Curriculum: C?
Cost: B-?
Financial Aid: ??
Faculty: B+
Technology: A
Study Space/Library: A-
Library technology/Resources: A
Rotations: AAAA+++
Social: AAAA

Overall Grade: B?

The secondary asks for healthcare related volunteer activities. I have some volunteer activities that loosely tie into healthcare but my main experience is employed. I wrote it up but have not sent it in yet and I indicated that the main activity I talked about was emplyed. Did anyone else include an employed activity or should I remove it?

The secondary asks for healthcare related volunteer activities. I have some volunteer activities that loosely tie into healthcare but my main experience is employed. I wrote it up but have not sent it in yet and I indicated that the main activity I talked about was emplyed. Did anyone else include an employed activity or should I remove it?

I'm in the same boat but since the section above it asks for employment and job descriptions I think that they really are only interested in volunteer work. I have one that loosely ties in and will probably mention that. I'm also thinking about mentioning the fact that I have an orientation set up in August to being volunteer work at a peds hospital.

I'm in the same boat but since the section above it asks for employment and job descriptions I think that they really are only interested in volunteer work. I have one that loosely ties in and will probably mention that.

This is a pretty superficial question, but is the campus really as beautiful as the pictures make it seem? Inside of buildings, labs, etc?

Pretty much. The HPD (health professions) building is less than 20 years old and is very nice (especially if you compare it to some of the older, smaller undergraduate buildings nearby). The UC (with the gym and another food court) and the main campus library are also really nice. The campus is gorgeous, too - not to promote the superficiality, but it was definitely one of the reasons I came.

I actually speak French fluently and I know that they have a TON of Quebecois there from about October until Easter in Hollywood FL. Would you say I'd actually get a lot of opportunities to use this in patient treatment or do they seem to be pretty infrequent? When visiting the area last December I got the impression that they don't really use FL's resources... just their beaches. I also speak some Spanish but it's super limited so I'm excited about the prospect of taking the spanish class.

I don't really know, since as a first year we didn't have a ton of patient treatment opportunities aside from a few health fairs you could volunteer at. (Seeing as we know pretty much nothing, that's probably a good thing). Around campus it seems like it's mostly English and some Spanish, but it some areas I think there's a lot more French.

And is knowing some Spanish an unwritten prerequisite for Nova? I don't know any Spanish. I took French throughout high and a few semesters in college, but I don't really remember much.

It's not a prerequisite. I think I tried speaking Spanish to someone once this year and it was a 6 year old. (This was good as that's approximately the level of my Spanish.) There are people in the class who are fluent; there are other people who don't know any Spanish.

Thisland, you say there weren't a lot of patient treatment opportunities. Do they not have any hands on clinical training then during the first year? Not even paid actors in a fake clinic? I think that kind of training is pretty useful and I would be sad if my first training of that sort was 3rd year rotations.

Around campus it seems like it's mostly English and some Spanish, but it some areas I think there's a lot more French.

It's not a prerequisite. I think I tried speaking Spanish to someone once this year and it was a 6 year old. (This was good as that's approximately the level of my Spanish.) There are people in the class who are fluent; there are other people who don't know any Spanish.

Any one know the fastest way to pick up spanish? I mean just so you could communicate medically with someone.

Any one know the fastest way to pick up spanish? I mean just so you could communicate medically with someone.
Marry a Hispanic woman, and immerse into their family gatherings and whatnot :cool:. Or, alternatively take a Spanish course and give your best.

Any of you guys get a confirmation email this morning?