NSU-COM class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
8hrs and counting...

Members don't see this ad.

Wow....I feel like I have a sacral dysfunction after that test. Damn....

Not only that but I messed up a bit of my lab too cause I couldn't finish a station. UGH. I spent too much time trying to find the PSIS and it cost me. :(

shoulda fibbed...

"oh wait... here it is! I mean, here they are!"

Members don't see this ad :)
but I started a new thread, and since y'all are my friends, I'd like your input.

If there was no War in Iraq:

-NS

*the next day* err, nevermind. Peeps were being jerks, so I disconnected myself. Good luck on finals.

-NS

physio final... 6.5hrs away.

damn flow reflections and pressure wave crap. wth. everything else is cool.

that exam kinda hurt...I'd lament more but I now have anatomy to worry about. AHhhhhhhhhh! Cranial Nerves! WOO HOOO!

well, back to my routine count down... 7.5hrs til anatomy final.

yay for head and neck.

Fin-Nor said:
well, back to my routine count down... 7.5hrs til anatomy final.

yay for head and neck.

do you guys have block scheduling?

we pretty much had an exam every monday since...october or something

semester type of scheduling.

glad we dont have block. i hear it's a b!tch.

is anyone else completely numb and not want to do crap anymore....

oh well, back to my histo DVD's

im totally smoked for histo

ok that written test flippin hurt.

Its all good cause I am on vacation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

I wanted to wish you all a safe and fun holiday season. I'll be orlando playing with the mouse. Happy holidays!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
There is not enough beer in the world to satisfy the thirst I have right now...but I'm sure as **** gonna try.

Merry Christmas, classmates. See you next year.

-NS

Congrats to all M1s (OMS 1s) ... you guys are through with the notorious hell finals week, believe me when I say have a great 2weeks off.....

See you next year...

Just wanting to get some feedback from Nova students. I'm deciding on schools right now and Nova is @ the top so far. What do you think of Nova so far?

petstoreboy said:
Just wanting to get some feedback from Nova students. I'm deciding on schools right now and Nova is @ the top so far. What do you think of Nova so far?

Just so you know, you might not get too many responses right now because they just started their vacation / end of semester. Hope it helps.

petstoreboy said:

I love it...............wouldn't ever even think about going anywhere else........except during finals week and whenever i'm sitting in class wondering why the hell i'm sitting in class. anyway, as you can tell I am still delusional from finals week. But in all honesty, I love this school, especially since I'm in 75 degree weather right now and my friends back home have a wind chill of -15..........can't really beat the ocean. The school is awesome...............My one problem with south florida is people are pretty damn rude around here.......

other than that, anywhere you go is what you make of it.........you should base your decision on things that are important to you such as proximity to your family and friends, location of school, etc......

As far as the location, technology, and design/looks of the school, there aren't many that can compare.

HoodyHoo said:
I love it...............wouldn't ever even think about going anywhere else........except during finals week and whenever i'm sitting in class wondering why the hell i'm sitting in class. anyway, as you can tell I am still delusional from finals week. But in all honesty, I love this school, especially since I'm in 75 degree weather right now and my friends back home have a wind chill of -15..........can't really beat the ocean. The school is awesome...............My one problem with south florida is people are pretty damn rude around here.......

other than that, anywhere you go is what you make of it.........you should base your decision on things that are important to you such as proximity to your family and friends, location of school, etc......

As far as the location, technology, and design/looks of the school, there aren't many that can compare.

I have to agree with hoody, I love my school and I am happy to attend there. I am also downloading from finals and trying to gear up for my next semester of school. I am looking back and going gee, I did learn all that crap in 4.5 months.

I am stoked that typically its sunny out and that if I wanted to I can go out and enjoy my day. I also love the fact I can wear shorts most of the time when I am out of school...aw hell, I wear PJ's while I'm in school (scrubs) and then after school I can wear whatever the hell I want so a lot of times I was in the labs in shorts/tee shirt/flip flops in november/december. Plus the facilities are pretty well kept up here and thats a neat thing.

Something else I like about the school is the sense that everyone is there to help everyone else. There is no hiding of information or resources. We realize its tough as hell even with that information and so its a big share fest. people make huge diagrams or find websites and they post them to our email accounts. There is a level of competition but its with yourself not so much with others. THen again there were times I just wished for a freaking 70 (see histology/anatomy finals for me)

I will say it again, find the school thats cool for you and fits your personality. I was accepted to a few school including those in the north and chicago area....when I look at the single digit temperatures and wind chills below zero I can't help but smile a huge ass smile and know I'm happy to be in shorts....then again, maybe thats just me. :)

Robz said:
There is a level of competition but its with yourself not so much with others.

(Very well put.)

I also reeeally enjoy studying by the pool. Just use earplugs to help get un-distracted. It's getting a bit chilly to do so now, but if the pool's not an option, you can just pull a little table onto your patio. Mine overlooks a pond with a fountain. Not too shabby.

-NS

Hey Everyone...I am getting into the mode of thinking about places to live for next year while attending NSU. I think I have a room mate arranged already. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on places to look/stay away from. I am looking to rent, and don't mind commuting a few minutes. What are the best areas to live in that are moderately reasonable? Are there any areas that are unsafe that you would suggest us staying away from?

Any suggestions are welcomed, as I am fairly unfamiliar with the Ft. Lauderdale/Davie area.

Thanks! :D

kaikai128 said:
Hey Everyone...I am getting into the mode of thinking about places to live for next year while attending NSU. I think I have a room mate arranged already. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on places to look/stay away from. I am looking to rent, and don't mind commuting a few minutes. What are the best areas to live in that are moderately reasonable? Are there any areas that are unsafe that you would suggest us staying away from?

Any suggestions are welcomed, as I am fairly unfamiliar with the Ft. Lauderdale/Davie area.

A lot of students like cedar key and sunforest which are right next to the school. There is also palm trace and davie crossing that are fairly close as well with little commute. Poinciana Lakes is just behind Cedar Key and its nice too but a little more pricey.

Those are the closest apartments to the school where most of the students live. I like about 10 minutes away near the broward mall in a place called los prados and they gave me a free months rent plus they have some cool features like unlimited water/sewer/trash pickup at your door for 40 bucks a month. I am quite happy with where I live and its close to everything.

i like living across the street from robz.

Living walking distance from school is worth its weight in gold...well, I guess that doesn't weigh anything. Hmm, you know what I mean :rolleyes: .

I actually like driving around here quite a bit (it's like street racing all the time) but just to not "have to" drive to and from school every day is SUCH a perk. One of my classmates commented that at the end of a long day, the last thing she wants to do is sit in traffic. She actually commuted further than anyone else I know of, but is moving closer to school so she has a little more time to cook for herself. (remember, one of the biggest challenges of med school is time management. despite my protests, there are still just 24 hours in a day ;) ). Not to mention I only fill up my gas tank every 3 weeks at the most.

The pond with a fountain I referred to in my last post was the one on the north end of Poinciana Lakes. For anyone who wanted to live here, the extra $ to face the water is totally worth it because I can't hear the traffic on University Dr, plus it's a totally pimp view.

If you want to live close to school, you could pretty much just spend a weekend driving around and touring complexes (as Robz and I did last year). I'd do so ASAP, since apartments fill up all the time. If a complex you really like is currently full, don't dismay. Tenants vacate all the time - often without much notice.

:D Hope you guys and gals had a good new year's eve. Mine rocked!

-NS

Fin-Nor said:
i like living across the street from robz.

Hummm...is that why you were carrying that telescope into your house the other day :rolleyes:

iliacus said:
Hummm...is that why you were carrying that telescope into your house the other day :rolleyes:

i was hoping that no one saw that...

If my roommate (currently a senior at NSU undergrad) gets accepted to the class of 2009, our apartment will be available for lease because we're going to pool our $ to buy a condo. Two brief posts about my apt. are pasted below.

pm me for details/photos

My roommate and I just talked about this an hour ago. It's quite preliminary, but I thought I'd just put the word out.

-NS

I also reeeally enjoy studying by the pool. Just use earplugs to help get un-distracted. It's getting a bit chilly to do so now, but if the pool's not an option, you can just pull a little table onto your patio. Mine overlooks a pond with a fountain. Not too shabby.

-NS

Living walking distance from school is worth its weight in gold...well, I guess that doesn't weigh anything. Hmm, you know what I mean .

I actually like driving around here quite a bit (it's like street racing all the time) but just to not "have to" drive to and from school every day is SUCH a perk. One of my classmates commented that at the end of a long day, the last thing she wants to do is sit in traffic. She actually commuted further than anyone else I know of, but is moving closer to school so she has a little more time to cook for herself. (remember, one of the biggest challenges of med school is time management. despite my protests, there are still just 24 hours in a day ). Not to mention I only fill up my gas tank every 3 weeks at the most.

The pond with a fountain I referred to in my last post was the one on the north end of Poinciana Lakes. For anyone who wanted to live here, the extra $ to face the water is totally worth it because I can't hear the traffic on University Dr, plus it's a totally pimp view.

If you want to live close to school, you could pretty much just spend a weekend driving around and touring complexes (as Robz and I did last year). I'd do so ASAP, since apartments fill up all the time. If a complex you really like is currently full, don't dismay. Tenants vacate all the time - often without much notice.

Hope you guys and gals had a good new year's eve. Mine rocked!

-NS

NotShorty said:
:D Hope you guys and gals had a good new year's eve. Mine rocked!

-NS
And why did yours rock so much dude?? :) :D You freakin player

iliacus said:

i dunno about this NotShorty guy he....seemed pretty excited about some new TOY he was getting in the mail today

Robz (i'd make sure my blinds are closed ALL the time)

HoodyHoo said:
And why did yours rock so much dude?? :) :D You freakin player

Yeah, we never did get around to talking about that, did we?:)

1max2nv said:
i dunno about this NotShorty guy he....seemed pretty excited about some new TOY he was getting in the mail today

Robz (i'd make sure my blinds are closed ALL the time)

I wondered how those videos ended up on the internet!!!!

AHhhhhhhhhh. One week down and way too many to go. I have to say it was great having some time off and today I remembered a few reasons why it was that I choose NSUCOM.

1. There were clear blue skies today
2. It was 80 degrees today
3. Many people went to the beach today
4. I live in a very cool area where I went shopping and found everything I needed within a couple miles from my house
5. I got a free lunch and met some pretty cool Family Practice physicians at the ACOFP meeting/lunch today
6. I could be in the snow
7. I had time to watch the playoffs cause its only the beginning of the year
8. My spa was running and I love the ability to go chill out in the water in Janunary
9. I actually like my classes this semester (until the stress hits me)
10. Did I mention that I wore shorts this entire weekend????

he he he....I'm going to slack tomorrow also...then I think I will try and study so I don't feel like a total dweeb for doing absolutly nothing this weekend.

Hey guys, so a month or so ago I decided me and my girlfriend would buy a townhouse instead of rent. For those of you who have done it,would you do it again and were you able to pay rent with the loans. Guess Im just getting a little scared because the mortgage broker already called me and we are making offers. Please help with any advice.,, thanks

Robz said:
AHhhhhhhhhh. One week down and way too many to go. I have to say it was great having some time off and today I remembered a few reasons why it was that I choose NSUCOM.

1. There were clear blue skies today
2. It was 80 degrees today
3. Many people went to the beach today
4. I live in a very cool area where I went shopping and found everything I needed within a couple miles from my house
5. I got a free lunch and met some pretty cool Family Practice physicians at the ACOFP meeting/lunch today
6. I could be in the snow
7. I had time to watch the playoffs cause its only the beginning of the year
8. My spa was running and I love the ability to go chill out in the water in Janunary
9. I actually like my classes this semester (until the stress hits me)
10. Did I mention that I wore shorts this entire weekend????

he he he....I'm going to slack tomorrow also...then I think I will try and study so I don't feel like a total dweeb for doing absolutly nothing this weekend.

I know how you're going to spend next weekend...laying in bed recovering from the "OPP treatment" Patterson gave you with those huge meathook hands of his!

iliacus said:
I know how you're going to spend next weekend...laying in bed recovering from the "OPP treatment" Patterson gave you with those huge meathook hands of his!

"rob is a husky boy" - patterson

some of the comments that me makes... :laugh:

we're not going to talk about my "volunteer" experience....

I better get my 2nd point for that "fun".

How many months of elective rotations do you have during 4th yr?

petstoreboy said:

Hey man,

Sorry to. jump in here since ti don't know the answer to your question.(perhaps someone else can answer) i just wanted to catch up with my classmates

whatup tockirs! Whoops, d mean Focisers. foc iters

I give up; FOCKERS!!

I' M viewing this with my new toyand using the handwriting recognition software

So I hear that Patterson's pissed at me?

NS :p

bump this bad boy up.

Anyway, Looks like its starting to gear up. Woo hoo. whos up for 2 months of a test or two every week???

me me me me me me me!!!!
bring em on!!!

WOoooooooooooooooo!

as weird as this sounds... i am way more productive with studying when it's crunch time. these past few weeks i have been only doing about one to two hrs a night worth of studying.

sleeping and surfing the net the rest of the time... haha, bring it on!

petstoreboy said:

Dude, we're the class of 2008! I'm just worried about getting through mayrovitz's absolutely confusing, broken english, and mind numbing respiratory test...

Petstoreboy, once you get here and you're in the middle of test after test and patterson is pawing you....the last thing you'll think about is 4th year electives.

Don't worry man...you'll go from lifting turds at the pet shop to cramming for CP in no time!!!! Worry about 4th year electives in your 4th year :D

i heard it's about 6 months of elective rotations from the m2's...

Fin-Nor said:
i heard it's about 6 months of elective rotations from the m2's...

Apologies for intruding in your forum but I thought I'd give you the info: you can have a max of 6 months' elective time if you give up your 1 month of vacation. Assuming you won't do that, you have 5 months of electives, 3 of which must be in primary care as defined by the administration. If you choose to take the Step II board review in Aug of M4 year, it counts as a primary care elective. Therefore, you'd have 2 primary care electives to complete and 2 electives that are your own. The rest of M4 is filled with 2 months of rural medicine, 1 month of rural medicine selective, and 1 month EM. M4 is a 10-month academic year.

kaikai128 said:

About a mile east of University Drive gets a bit ghetto. But if you like to live the hood life then maybe you'll like it....jk. what the others said is true, cedar key is nice............but really anywhere you go is going to be roughly the same price.

Heeed! said:
Apologies for intruding in your forum but I thought I'd give you the info: you can have a max of 6 months' elective time if you give up your 1 month of vacation. Assuming you won't do that, you have 5 months of electives, 3 of which must be in primary care as defined by the administration. If you choose to take the Step II board review in Aug of M4 year, it counts as a primary care elective. Therefore, you'd have 2 primary care electives to complete and 2 electives that are your own. The rest of M4 is filled with 2 months of rural medicine, 1 month of rural medicine selective, and 1 month EM. M4 is a 10-month academic year.

heeed!,

no apologies needed. thanks for the correction!

Hey guys, can you tell me how long it took NOVA to grant you an interview once your application was complete, I've been complete for a couple of weeks now, and still no news.

frank51 said:
Hey guys, can you tell me how long it took NOVA to grant you an interview once your application was complete, I've been complete for a couple of weeks now, and still no news.

I think I was granted an intervew about 2-3 weeks after everything was complete and in their hands. However, that was much earlier in the application cycle--I wouldn't expect to hear back from them so quickly at this point in time. This Thread talks about ppl having applications complete since November. Good luck, and be patient.

i submitted my secondary and received an interview invite two weeks later for a date that was one month after my submission.

Thanks for your help, I guess I'll just have to wait and see. BTW, were your stats similar to their average for sutdents getting accepted (24, ~3.45).

I was higher in both categories, but not outside of a normal standard deviation.