NSU-COM class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
kaikai128 said:
Question for the people currently at the school from someone who may be going ther next year...Although this never really crossed my mind, my family seems significantly worried about this.

Do you find that the mere fact that you are in Ft. Lauderdale is a distraction from school (this coming from someone who is obviously not native to the area)?
I F'ing wish there were some distractions. you are so consumed by being in class or studying after class all night long that the idea of going to the beach or going to a club or anything like that doesn't even come into thought. not for me anyway, and I would love to do those things if there was time. I'd say about once a month, on a friday afternoon, we will go to the beach or something like that.

Members don't see this ad.

doc3341 said:
even so..theres days where i hate the idea of sticking around for prosection.

talk to your fellow mates....I am sure they could care less if you showed up some times.

I know I have skipped one or two of themand went back to the lab later on my time.

OrthoFixation said:
How is the mandatory attendance going for you folks?

Is it true that you have 10 ppl to a cadaver? How's that working out?

Just curious, since I interview there Friday.

You clock in and it take attendance electronically.

Personally, I use the time if its a good lecture to listen...if it sucked then I broke out a book and read in class..hell bring ear plugs if it bothers you. I have seen people listening to head phones and sleeping and other things in class. make the best use of the time.

I have even heard rumors...pssst...that some people clock in and leave!!! oh the horror of studying in the library!!!! Its all about the learning and we're still at the school yet thats against policy. (thats my disclaimer)

as for the cadavers...I am more than happy at the size of my groups. Hell, this week the first group of 5 gets to pul out fat and yank out stuff and we come in later to look at it. Then on thursdays we get to cut and play to our hearts content. Man, I have gotten enough smell, juice, guts, and bits all over me that I am more than satisified with my gross anatomy experience. remember you can ALWAYS enter the lab at another time to look at it on your own.

Members don't see this ad :)
kaikai128 said:
Do you find that the mere fact that you are in Ft. Lauderdale is a distraction from school (this coming from someone who is obviously not native to the area)?

Ft. Lauderdale has a lot of cool things...good food, good clubs with south beach not far, lots and lots of malls and shopping, and of course the beach.

the best thing is the weather where it is fairly warm and sunny out.

Of course as hoody said....we are in the library studying all the freaking time and don't get to see the light of day much.

of course I did spend a sunday once reading histology on the beach....ahhhhhhhhhh the life I lead at times.

Robz said:

Personally, I use the time if its a good lecture to listen...if it sucked then I broke out a book and read in class..hell bring ear plugs if it bothers you. I have seen people listening to head phones and sleeping and other things in class. make the best use of the time.

-Id be the sleepy one! Usually on thursday or friday. I dont know about everyone else, but im usually exausted by then.

Robz said:
as for the cadavers...I am more than happy at the size of my groups. Hell, this week the first group of 5 gets to pul out fat and yank out stuff and we come in later to look at it. Then on thursdays we get to cut and play to our hearts content. Man, I have gotten enough smell, juice, guts, and bits all over me that I am more than satisified with my gross anatomy experience. remember you can ALWAYS enter the lab at another time to look at it on your own.

I couldnt agree more. Plus the lab is open like 16 hours a day on most days(or something like that). So you could always come in and do your own thing. But IMHO, 3-4 hours a week is more than enough.

-mike

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

This is why I live in Florida.

I spent the whole afternoon studying my OPP for my test tomorrow and reading my physiology while sitting by the pool and taking a dip every now and then.

Then I sat in my spa while the water massaged my back while I read fun fun physiology. Made it at least tolerable to take.....

AHhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

:D

I remember those days. You better enjoy them while you got them!

I used to take a nice dip and drink a nice cold one at the Cedar Key pool (where I lived) after a stressful test. Sometimes I would go out and read the OMM lectures sitting on a lounge chair soaking up some rays. I'd chill out in the hot tub quite often too.

Now I'm working 65+ hours a week as a resident, never home to enjoy what I like, can't tell you the last time I saw the sun (night shifts in the ED).

Enjoy it brothers!

Q

Robz said:

I have even heard rumors...pssst...that some people clock in and leave!!! oh the horror of studying in the library!!!! Its all about the learning and we're still at the school yet thats against policy. (thats my disclaimer)

Our student guide said she had heard of people slipping out if needed after swiping. Not that he or she had ever done it though . . . that would be wrong. Those cushion seats at the top of the lecture hall did look pretty comfy though.

Thanks for the input on NSU. I really enjoyed my interview. The facilities are first class. I spent the remainder of the weekend at Miami Beach at my brothers place. The climate is fantastic. Now if only the houses were cheaper!

OrthoFixation said:
Those cushion seats at the top of the lecture hall did look pretty comfy though.

/QUOTE]

The only problem with the cushion seats is that they don't recline far enough. It's a real b@tch trying to fall asleep in them.

Thank God the OPP test is done with. I still don't know what a plumb line is...I figure it's something you tell a girl after a few drinks down at the River Front.

As for swiping....sure people may swipe and run...but in the end they're responsible for themselves. I really don't mind swiping in...Plus, it's a great motivator to get my A$$ out of bed and show up to class at 8:00 am. :D

Taraskevich can eat my @ss :mad:

NotShorty said:
Dude, physio isn't meant to be this detailed and mind-numbing. I heard a rumor people were crying last year after his first exam....yay, this will be so F'ing fun.

I've already bought my KY.

Ok....I need to go to bed so I can study some more physio tomorrow.

NotShorty said:

ahhhhhhhh, yes. the gripes of being an M1. It'll be over before you know it. NSUCOM must have changed the curriculum aruond, though, we didnt' have physiology the first semester. Wait until you get the other physiol professor...

Q

Members don't see this ad :)
QuinnNSU said:
ahhhhhhhh, yes. the gripes of being an M1. It'll be over before you know it. NSUCOM must have changed the curriculum aruond, though, we didnt' have physiology the first semester. Wait until you get the other physiol professor...
Q

I've heard.....UGH.

Thank god I bought the extra large tube....

so yeah... midnight b4 test day.

im pretty screwed. mind sharing some of that large tube robz?

I say we all guess the class average is gonna be:

--My guess is 63.4

Whoever gets closest to the actual number gets free lube next time around!!

doc3341 said:
I say we all guess the class average is gonna be:

--My guess is 63.4

Whoever gets closest to the actual number gets free lube next time around!!

i've heard of ppl with high and low scores on that test, but prolly more 80's than really low scores. guess we gotta wait to see the class average to see how everyone did overall.

I am going to take a stab and say its around 69.4 with a possibility of 72.6. :)

Thats just my take on it....I know it was my worst test so far.

The test was very nit-picky about very basic ideas. I wish that the types of questions he asked on the test were given to us after each lecture, so that the test could include more complex, BIG concept ideas.

"wish" What a nerdy thing to say. I should have said that I think it would have been more to our advantage (for board purposes). Unless those are the types of questions are asked on boards...then I would consider the test to be right on.

Haven't graded my test yet though. Good luck on Histo, y'all!

-NS

Dude I love histo.................. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: this is my current state after this round of midterms.....when will it end.............in about 5 hours when I will be drunk as faahhkkk. My meissner's touch corpusle has just about had enough.

hooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooody(delusional)

I think I got schooled a bit on that exam....I did much better on the practical.

serves me right for staying up all night studying.

Robz said:
...serves me right for staying up all night studying.

serves me right for watching the redsocks vs yanks extra inning it to the 12th

I for sure got SCHOOLED, way schooled. I am praying for a 60....anyway, time to have many, many beers....and what about that email dr. whitehead sent?? what a dork.

ok....here it is simple and easy for those that read this thread and wonder about medical school in south florida.

Today...we got our last tests done and hit our M1 class party on the beach.

This was a good time and something I needed a little badly. It was awesome. Beverages, music, food, and the beach.

It was said more than once that it was an amazing night out. It was a clear sky...warm enough for shorts...an awesome light breeze and the ocean waves lapping on the beach.

It was exactly what I needed. Thanks for all that attended and rocked out!

HoodyHoo said:
Dude, physio isn't meant to be this detailed and mind-numbing. I heard a rumor people were crying last year after his first exam....yay, this will be so F'ing fun.

I cried after the THIS physio exam....Have you looked at the comlex/usmle board review books. The physiology is no where near as in depth as we're getting into :mad:

I'm pretty sure the faculty think our class is filled to the brim with a-holes....Not saying they're trying to screw us or anything, but certainly not showing mercy. Of course this is all a crazy conspiracy theory but I'm sticking to it.

I feel for all of you with the tough exams. Particularly since I found out today that I have been invited to join you next year! :D I can't wait.

Now I'm off to the hospital for some ER duty. Thanks for all the input this last month.

Vladi said:
I cried after the THIS physio exam....Have you looked at the comlex/usmle board review books. The physiology is no where near as in depth as we're getting into :mad:

I'm pretty sure the faculty think our class is filled to the brim with a-holes....Not saying they're trying to screw us or anything, but certainly not showing mercy. Of course this is all a crazy conspiracy theory but I'm sticking to it.

Anybody got a gun?? I thought medical school was going to be easy ;) what ever happened to that strip of sand that's close to us?? I think it borders some water.....oh yeah it's the ocean, I never get to see it anymore :(

Blah. Like hitting a moving target. You know how to study for this class now? BAM!!! new teacher. you'll never see the first one again.

My brain is too strung out to form a coherent complaint right now.

Oh yeah, this is NotShorty. (mam2004, you need to make sure you sign out of SDN when you're in the HPD library computer lab.)

-NS

Vladi said:

Hey buddy, I know who you are. You got a pretty darn good score, if the word on the street is accurate.

Sorry, this is not intended to be an attack or anything. I feel ya. I think the Fizz department here is Phucked, along with Biochem. I don't believe med school is supposed to be this political and high-schoolish. My school approval rating is not extremely high at the moment.

-NS

I dont know what you are all complaining about. I think the fizz test and the biochem test was grand and the faculty were nothing short of perfect. ;) . I thnk we should go buy them all nice big fruit basket :thumbdown:

Ok, looks like I'm on the curriculum committee now. Just finished our first meeting. I'm slightly less pessimistic, but still plenty concerned. At least we're all in this together.

Everyone make sure to go to Dr. Mayrovitz's website! There's a ton of info which will hopefully be useful to us. (Yaaaay!!! more info to sort through!!! :wow: +pissed+ ) <- yes! I totally found the right emoticons to describe my feelings :thumbup:

-NS

I haven't posted on here in forever but I just had to say....

"Where does the baby grow???"

lmao!!! but, what are platelets? :idea:

Pegasus52082 said:
I haven't posted on here in forever but I just had to say....

"Where does the baby grow???"

all I can say about that questions is....UGH...I can't believe it was even asked in class.....

My bulbospongiosus is in pain reading this pelvis and abdomen crap. Is it bad that I've only gotten 5 pages of pelvis lecture done in the past 4 days? :eek: :eek: :eek: It was nice knowing all of you, my funeral will be held next wednesday.

god bless and goodnight

Don't feel bad, every time I take a crap now I end up thinking: Hmm, ok my internal anal sphincter is relaxing and my puborectalis is starting to relax. :thumbdown: Man I need to quit reading this shiznit!

HoodyHoo said:
My bulbospongiosus is in pain reading this pelvis and abdomen crap. Is it bad that I've only gotten 5 pages of pelvis lecture done in the past 4 days? :eek: :eek: :eek: It was nice knowing all of you, my funeral will be held next wednesday.

god bless and goodnight

Well, the good news is we save an hour tonight!! Turn back those clocks :)

abdomen....pelvis....abdomen...pelvis....perineal area...urogential triangles....anal triangles.....lumbsacral plexus....brain freeze....pain.....ugh...arrrrghhhhh

HoodyHoo said:
It was nice knowing all of you, my funeral will be held next wednesday.

god bless and goodnight

Thursday for me!

:thumbup: My anal triangle feels violated after todays practical. Does anyone concur?

bgworm said:
:thumbup: My anal triangle feels violated after todays practical. Does anyone concur?

Yes....but which muscles and nerves were involves in that area???

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

its over....we move on. :)

If you haven't already done so, I encourage you to listen to the janitor that plays the guitar in the little covered walkway that connects the Terry building to the parking garage.

He's not out there on any regular schedule as far as I can tell, but I have seen him out there during the lunch hour.

Don't look at him. Don't stop and talk. That would ruin it.

Just walk past, shut off your brain, listen, and appreciate...

If possible, you can also close your eyes, but don't run into one of those large stone pillars!!!

:laugh: NS

NotShorty said:
If you haven't already done so, I encourage you to listen to the janitor that plays the guitar in the little covered walkway that connects the Terry building to the parking garage.

He's not out there on any regular schedule as far as I can tell, but I have seen him out there during the lunch hour.

Don't look at him. Don't stop and talk. That would ruin it.

Just walk past, shut off your brain, listen, and appreciate...

If possible, you can also close your eyes, but don't run into one of those large stone pillars!!!

:laugh: NS
Thats Jimmy, Hes a badass!!

:cool: :thumbup:

Awesome. I knew I wasn't the only music-appreciative one of us!

-NS

Woo hoo!

Out at 10am!

Rock on...its time for some more grand theft auto san andreas and then some cardiac phys!

Speaking of cardiac phys, does anyone else think our phys department was recruited from douchebag boot camp? :love:
Just wondering if it was just me, and if they are reading this I was only kidding :rolleyes:

bgworm said:
Speaking of cardiac phys, does anyone else think our phys department was recruited from douchebag boot camp? :love:
Just wondering if it was just me, and if they are reading this I was only kidding :rolleyes:

See its a double edge sword....A certain phys professor is willing and asks to take questions from the class...heck I saw him outside today after OPP started still answering questions. But on the other hand he is just plain rude at times...like when he refused to give the microphone to our class president to make an announcement or when one classmate asked to go back to a slide and he said he already closed the powerpoint application. Things like that make me scratch my head on where his mind is at.....

Anyway, at least I understand the lectures and I'm studying my butt off for monday. This is the start of the make it or break it time.

Hey RobZ, did you see the email about what our class t-shirts should say?

I think I will suggest it say something like

NSUCOM Class of 2008
Those dirty exam stealers!

What do you think? :smuggrin:

doc3341 said:
Thats Jimmy, Hes a badass!!

My student tour during the interview didn't even mention Jimmy. :thumbdown:

First there was Hendrix, then SRV, now Kenny Wayne Shepard :cool:

I think ol mu'Scles email today to the list serve was the gayest thing I have ever seen :laugh:
Where can I sign up for that frat? :thumbdown: