NSU-COM class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats 2008ers...welcome to the promised land! hahaha...In terms of realtors...Coldwell Banker in Plantation, Fl..has a really AMAZING realtor by the name of Bill Lynman...ask for him...I dont have the contact info currently..but he is excellent. Personally I live in University Parc, which is an awesome new-construction...that has beautiful landscaping, pool area and ofcourse the units are great....especially if u get a 3rd floor unit like myself and my roomate with VAULTED CEILINGS...we pay $525 + utilities...they do sell the units but they sell like hotcakes so definitely check it out...if there are none for sale..u can rent. Hope this info. helps...by the way check out the class website for more info. www.nsucom.info then register and there's tons of info regarding roomates, places to live, places to get drunk....haha...well I guess thats coming soon....check it out people!

da brown from chi-town,
Mani $:clap:

Members don't see this ad.

:smuggrin: :horns:

Woo Hoo!!! Greetings, fockers!

Also looking to buy house/apt/condo

I have family in the area, and will prob be moving to s. fla. in the not-too-distant future to begin a full-on search for housing.

-NS

SUNNY Florida here I come (maybe). Found out today!

NSU 2008:clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
looks like a lot of ppl getting accepted on SDN in such a short time period :clap:

Originally posted by bryant
just out of curiousity,

what is approx. the average debt for NSU graduates? (hoping Quinn can answer this :D)

I graduated with 187k in loans this past May.

Q, DO

I am interviewing in 2 weeks at NSU and just wanted to know if they tell everyone of their acceptance or if you have to sweat it out and stalk your mailbox:laugh: Congrats to all that have been accepted!! :hardy:

Hey everyone, congrats again from a fellow '2008er' since so many people seem to be getting accepted lately I just wanted to re-post the unofficial NSU website.... http://www.nsucom.info see you all in August!:clap:

Originally posted by sunystudent
I am interviewing in 2 weeks at NSU and just wanted to know if they tell everyone of their acceptance or if you have to sweat it out and stalk your mailbox:laugh: Congrats to all that have been accepted!! :hardy:

i think they meet every 2 wks :confused: on monday or something.

Dr. Chaffin told our group that we can either call him the day after or email, which i did, to get faster news.

good luck :cool:

Originally posted by QuinnNSU
I graduated with 187k in loans this past May.

Q, DO

how does financial aid fit into the scheme? or maybe how much do they help out?

thanks QuinnNSU.

how does financial aid fit into the scheme? or maybe how much do they help out?

thanks QuinnNSU.

Financial aid will cover all of your loans during medical school. The way I have it set up now, I will pay (after residency) about 700 a month for 30 years. I locked in my loans at an appalling low 1.4%, so I can put the money i WOULD pay to my loans in a CD and make more $! :)

$700 a month might seem a lot but when you consider I'll be making $100-$120 an hour as an ER attending in 2.4 more years, its really nothing.

The loan money you get from teh school (Stafford) is more than enough to live off of, and live nicely, as a matter of fact.

Q, DO

So whose got some info on buying cndos/apartments near campus? My real estate agent in Ft. Lauderdale gets me these places that are like, a 20 minute drive from campus...

Does Cedar Key or University Park has apartments for sale? Any inside info would be SO appreciated, please PM me if possible!

Whats everyonen else fdoing about housing?

for those people that already recieved letters of acceptance to NSU, do you know what dates those payments are due (deadlines)?

the 250, 750, 1000?

Members don't see this ad :)
750=march 15
1000=may 15

whoa i just found out last wed that i got in....u gusy think that i might be able to get mroe time for the 750

Does anyone have any information on websites for realtors or phone numbers to realtors that deal with selling condos/houses around NSU-COM?? thanks.

Originally posted by 1max2nv
whoa i just found out last wed that i got in....u gusy think that i might be able to get mroe time for the 750

I don't think so....

waitlist... it's all very frustrating.:(

I have been officially accepted into the 2008 class of NSU !I am so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll miss Alabama but I am really looking forward to some Florida sun! !!:cool:

For those of you who have been accepted CONGRATS:) I was wondering if any of you chose NSU over some other schools which you were accepted to (if you could name them it would be helpful) and the reasons why.

Im trying to narrow my decision down between nsu and nycom..both extremely good schools

any input would be greatly appreciated

Whoa--people are already hearing whether or not they got in? I interviewed on Feb 23, and they told me the ADCOM wouldn't be getting together to decide on applicants they interviewed nor doing any more interviews til March 22.Who has heard or intereviewed with NOVA since the day I did? I am just very anxious because NOVA is the school I really want to go to, and I made that very clear to the ADCOM when I was there.

I'm glad you got that news about the 22nd because they told me "sometime in march," so I've been anxious this whole month so far. You're not the only one who's waiting for an answer!! I interviewed on Feb. 11thl, by the way. I hope you (and I) hear good news!

It took Dr.Chaffin four days before he finall answered me back.I had tried calling and emailing all week. He told me he was sorry it was so frustrating and he understood, but that the ADCOM decided not to meet again til the 22nd of the month. I was very disappointed because I had heard so many stories of people hearing from their school by only a few days later.Oh well, what can we do.I hope you and I both have a positive response as well--I really want to go to NOVA.

Glad to hear that I am not the only one in this NOVA limbo! I was starting to worry!! I interviewed back in febuary and was told we had to wait unti the 24th of March to hear anything. I too fell in love with NOVA(like so many other students did) and made that clear on my interview to the comittee as well. It was the best school by far that I had visited. Unfortunatly I was told by a student close to the admission process that we are in the waitlist pool:( I was devestated to hear this but have started to come to terms with the fact that all of us that were possibly put on hold just waiting to see if we even qualify for the waitlist(seeing that there are many people already on it who interviewed way before us). THAT SUCKS:( :mad: :scared: All of us waiting should still keep our fingers crossed but come to the realization that (as the student put it)there is a slim to none chance of us actually getting a direct admission offer. My advise is to keep your hopes alive but send in your deposits for the other school you were accepted to so you do not loose your spot.I loved NOVA so much and hope that maybe the student was just FOS. It helps to dream:love: Hope to hear some good news from all of you (like me) who have bee on the edge of your seats for over a month. Lets keep in touch and keep eachother advised to any news(p.s I e-mailed Chaffin the otherday and he said we should know "something"by March24th
Keep hope alive!!!!!!!:p

Ok whoever told you that is full of balogna. Schools don't do interviews with the intent of putting students on the waitlist, no matter how late in the game. That would be a waste of their time and money as well as yours. They still have spots for accepting people, or else they wouldn't bother to do the interviews, and February isn't so late in the game.I sent my stuff in early and got offered an interview not long after that, back in Dec, for all the way at the end of Feb, so if I don't get in it isn't on account of them not having spots, but rather they just didn't feel it was a fit. Don't let that whole bogus theory of theyre only interviewing for waitlist, get to you, because I have been through this with people over and over, and it's the same thing, they interview who they would potentially like to offer spots to. Good luck though.

I'm heading to So. Fla in July :D NOVA is great and I look forward to learning osteopathic medicine there.

Originally posted by iliacus
I'm heading to So. Fla in July :D NOVA is great and I look forward to learning osteopathic medicine there.

Hi!
When did you interview? I was there in February. I plan to be there in July as well. I'm hoping to get there in June to look at some places. Have you heard of any places that are close to the campus and affordable?

Shsgrad,

I think it would be a good idea to get there a few weeks before class just to get acclimated and not worry about hooking up the phone while starting classes. My interview was in the middle of Jan. and I only got to see a little of Ft. Lauderdale and of course the school, but a few days to see south beach and explore would be great :D There's lots a places next to campus. I'm looking for a roommate to split rent with etc... I just smile everytime I think about studying medicine in southern Florida. One could do a lot worse ;)

I too only got to see a little of Ft. Lauderdale, but it was enough!! :D I can't wait to get started and you are so right......we could do a lot worse than studying in the sunny state of Florida :)

just sent my last deposit... ouch! hurt my pocket book. :(

oh well... no more having to worry about sending those in.

Hey everyone I was just called for an interview for the Master in Biomedical Science program (MBS) at NSU!!!! I was just wondering if anyone knew what types of interview questions they might be asking????? Thanks for all the help!!

just sent my last deposit... ouch! hurt my pocket book. :(

oh well... no more having to worry about sending those in.

DAMN.....I have to build my bank account and I'll use every last moment of time they give me. Just like I sent my last payment in on airborne express the day before it was due. :)

:) it's just one headache i can get rid of for now and if i dont send it in, ill prolly use it on some stupid thing...

Originally posted by Robz
DAMN.....I have to build my bank account and I'll use every last moment of time they give me. Just like I sent my last payment in on airborne express the day before it was due. :)

Hi, QuinnNSU,

Can you tell me where you locked your loan of 1.4%? Thank you.

Finally got some mail from NSU!

Originally posted by Rahel828
Finally got some mail from NSU!

I got an email asking for my w-2 forms :)

Yesterday I finally got a nice big packet with all the info I wanted. Start dates, orientation details, and lots of freaking forms to sign. At least they gave me till June 1st to fill them out. :)

Originally posted by Robz
Yesterday I finally got a nice big packet with all the info I wanted. Start dates, orientation details, and lots of freaking forms to sign. At least they gave me till June 1st to fill them out. :)
I got mine last friday.

I haven't received anything either!

I received my stuff last Friday so they may still be in the mail.

:cool: Got my packet in the mail today. I live only a few miles from the school but I always seem to get things last :)

They send um out after they've been payed in full...It's somewhat reassuring to receive mail from NOVA.

Actually I'm not paid in full. Who knows? :)

I haven't either. I've just given my first $1000.

hey guys... did anyone else look into on campus housin? they told me that they have not done the assignments yet. im jsut a lil concerned that there might not be space available. in which case, i need to make alternative living arrangements aka off campus.

theres a list serve for our calss once u activate ur email account. be sure to email dr.simpson. people in the class have started the infamous INTROS.

take care.

Rahel828,
I was assigned a room in student housing on April 1st. They called me to let me know. Maybe you should give it a week and call them again.
Bonnie