Nurses Salaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

barto123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else think nurses are paid too much in comparison to other fields such as teaching or social work that require four year degrees and that are not compensated equally? I understand that many of them work very hard and do their job well, but many nurses with a two year degree and certification can start in the 40-60K range in several places. I'm not sure if it is because there is a shortage of nurses or if it's just because people working in healthcare get generally overpaid. I wouldn't consider nursing to be more intellectually demanding than social work or teaching so I'm confused as to why more people don't go into it since the salary is relatively high taking into account the amount of education required.

ok i have edited my original post because i see now that my wording may have been interpreted as incendiary.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else think nurses are paid too much? Sure, I understand that many of them work very hard and do their job well, but with a two year degree and certification they can start in the 40-60K range in several places. Compared to other fields like teaching or social work which require four year degrees, nurses often get paid considerably more starting. I'm not sure if it is because there is a shortage of nurses or if it's just because people working in healthcare get generally overpaid. I wouldn't consider nursing to be a incredibly intellectually demanding field so I'm confused as to why more people don't go into it since the salary is relatively high taking into account the amount of education required.

Paid too much by whose standards? Too much for what? How much a person gets paid would seem to depend on the market forces of supply and demand, so certainly a shortage of nurses would cause nurses' pay to increase. Your post seems to imply that you believe that someone's pay should depend not on market forces but on how long it took them to get their degree and how "intellectually demanding" you think their job is. You're certainly entitled to that opinion, but if you're going to be consistent, you should be demanding that people who spend many years getting a PhD in, say, Sanskrit studies should be paid the most of all. In my opinion, there's no "should" about it. Nurses are paid highly because they do important work (i.e., there's a lot of demand for them) and there aren't that many of them (i.e., there's not very much supply). Period. Whether you think they get paid "too much" depends on what traits you, as an individual, value in others.

Your question about why more people aren't interested in becoming nurses is interesting and would be interesting to discuss if only it weren't yoked to such an inflammatory post. How intellectually demanding a job is can't be measured objectively and isn't something people will ever come to a consensus on.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else think nurses are paid too much? Sure, I understand that many of them work very hard and do their job well, but with a two year degree and certification they can start in the 40-60K range in several places. Compared to other fields like teaching or social work which require four year degrees, nurses often get paid considerably more starting. I'm not sure if it is because there is a shortage of nurses or if it's just because people working in healthcare get generally overpaid. I wouldn't consider nursing to be a incredibly intellectually demanding field so I'm confused as to why more people don't go into it since the salary is relatively high taking into account the amount of education required.

wow

Anyone else think nurses are paid too much?
No. And what's it to you? They make a lot less than doctors.

Compared to other fields like teaching or social work which require four year degrees, nurses often get paid considerably more starting. I'm not sure if it is because there is a shortage of nurses or if it's just because people working in healthcare get generally overpaid.
Ding ding ding!

I wouldn't consider nursing to be a incredibly intellectually demanding field so I'm confused as to why more people don't go into it since the salary is relatively high taking into account the amount of education required.
More people don't go into nursing because there is a shortage of training spots. This is because the overall nursing shortage is so severe that it's difficult for nursing schools to recruit and retain faculty, because salaries are so much higher in clinical work.

Also, although nursing may not be as intellectually demanding as some other fields, that's usually not the main thing that determines how much someone gets paid. Most people aren't willing to do the job of a nurse. It's demanding in many other ways, including emotionally. That ultimately limits supply.

Also, I agree with the poster above that this thread is asking for trouble. I hope it is closed soon.

I was under the impression that most RNs generally at least have a Bachelors Degree, that would imply 4 years of school. I know a few people who make 40K+ a year and don't have any type of degree.

Plus, have you ever worked around nurses? Its not the easiest job. Where I volunteer, a typical shift is 12 hours, they have to deal with a lot of grumpy, rude and downright mean patients, and clean up some pretty foul messes, all while keeping up a positive attitude.

Sure, maybe its not the most intellectually demanding job, but it does take a degree of intelligence, and a certain personality to pull off well.

work with ICU and ER nurses and tell me it's not an intellectually demanding job. where do you think a lot of residents actually learn the ins & outs of patient care?

How much a person gets paid would seem to depend on the market forces of supply and demand, so certainly a shortage of nurses would cause nurses' pay to increase.

Your question about why more people aren't interested in becoming nurses is interesting and would be interesting to discuss if only it weren't yoked to such an inflammatory post. How intellectually demanding a job is can't be measured objectively and isn't something people will ever come to a consensus on.

why when anyone wants to discuss the salaries of other professions besides doctors does it at once become "inflammatory" and "asking for trouble." people are always comparing the wages in different fields, there is no reason to get so worked up over it. people want to get paid what they feel entitled to, and what they feel entitled to comes from their level of education and the difficultly of their job. i feel people may want to assume that this post was meant in some way to disrespect nurses, when in fact it is not done with that intention at all. i believe nurses do work very hard and that their work is crucial to medicine, equal to the work of doctors. i do agree that much of what people get paid depends on the supply and demand of the market, i'm just troubled that people like teachers and social workers and countless other professionals who work just as hard as nurses and in many cases have more formal education get paid significantly less.

Yes. I think Doctors make too much as well. We should all work for free and feed our families with the good-will and charity we generate. Then we can crap rainbows and sit around a gum-drop table, drinking tea, and discussing the marvels of living in a country devoid of such nonsense as economics...

you need to work on your wording then.

re: barto123

It's funny that this comes up, because a lot of nursing schools/ed boards are pushing the "intellectual" angle of nursing, since they've long since realized that the general majority of people think that nursing doesn't require a lot of brain work. They've actually started designing curriculums around special testing styles and material (eg critical thinking) to compensate for their academic shortcomings. People might not like what you have to say, but unfortunately it's the truth.

Members don't see this ad :)
why when anyone wants to discuss the salaries of other professions besides doctors does it at once become "inflammatory" and "asking for trouble." people are always comparing the wages in different fields, there is no reason to get so worked up over it. people want to get paid what they feel entitled to, and what they feel entitled to comes from their level of education and the difficultly of their job. i feel people may want to assume that this post was meant in some way to disrespect nurses, when in fact it is not done with that intention at all. i believe nurses do work very hard and that their work is crucial to medicine, equal to the work of doctors. i do agree that much of what people get paid depends on the supply and demand of the market, i'm just troubled that people like teachers and social workers and countless other professionals who work just as hard as nurses and in many cases have more formal education get paid significantly less.

OK, sorry I wasn't clear on what your point is; I was thrown off somewhat by the enormous tactlessness of the original post's wording. Now it seems that your main point actually has nothing at all to do with nurses; instead, your main point seems to be that market forces aren't efficient enough to give teachers and social workers the salaries they deserve, and society (and maybe the government?) should do something to rectify this apparent market failure and somehow incentivize more people to become teachers and social workers and the like. Am I still misinterpreting you, or is this indeed the point that you were trying to make? It's a good point, one that I'm inclined to agree with, and I'd be interested to hear the people here brainstorm solutions to it (although for some reason I don't foresee that happening in a thread that got off to such a shaky start). Maybe, if you seriously want to see this issue discussed, you'd be better off starting a new thread.

Don't be such a tool. Why should it bother you what other people make. By my opinion which is just as meaningful as yours I think nurses aren't paid enough. They have a job where they get feces on themselves all day and deal with disgruntled patients and dotors for 8-12 hour shifts several days a week.

Just because YOU don't think they are smart enough for their salary doesn't mean they shouldn't earn what they do.

And if you could see beyond the trees, you would know that most hospitals are private enterprises, and that nurses who work at county or government facilities do no get paid near the amount you say. (usually around 30K)

Also, public school teachers are government paid positions. Thus they get paid less. However private school teachers do make 40-60K or more a year. The more government is involved, the lower the pay scale for professionals working in those services.

By my opinion which is just as meaningful as yours I think nurses aren't paid enough. They have a job where they get feces on themselves all day and deal with disgruntled patients and dotors for 8-12 hour shifts several days a week.
Then the nurse's aids should get paid even more, because they do even more of the dirty work and heavy lifting.

By all means, I think that nurses work fairly hard and have a job that requires that they remain attentive and focused, but the reason they get paid well is all supply and demand. My wife is a nurse, and she feels entitled to a good salary (which she gets), but I've told her that she is well paid because the hospital always needs more nurses. If the hospital did not pay $50,000+ per year, the nurses would just go elsewhere that did, because there are plenty of places willing to pay them that. It IS dirty and demanding work that starts very early in the morning, but so is the job of the guy who cleans out the Port-a-potties. It's just that it's easier to replace him than a nurse.

Then the nurse's aids should get paid even more, because they do even more of the dirty work and heavy lifting.

By all means, I think that nurses work fairly hard and have a job that requires that they remain attentive and focused, but the reason they get paid well is all supply and demand. My wife is a nurse, and she feels entitled to a good salary (which she gets), but I've told her that she is well paid because the hospital always needs more nurses. If the hospital did not pay $50,000+ per year, the nurses would just go elsewhere that did, because there are plenty of places willing to pay them that. It IS dirty and demanding work that starts very early in the morning, but so is the job of the guy who cleans out the Port-a-potties. It's just that it's easier to replace him than a nurse.

I would agree. Although, if you're wife reads that you've compared her job to cleaning out port-a-potties then you'll be sleeping on the couch for a week.:laugh:

It's all basic economics, supply and demand.

Look, the OP is basically saying that they are paid too much compared to teachers and social workers, and why doesn't more people go into nursing. You are right that they get paid their salary by supply and dedmand. However, the issue is government funded entities. Yes, there are a few public schools that pay good starting salaries. But public schools generally pay in the 30k range. However private schools pay starting salaries much more than this, and this is because they are private entities. As well most hospitals are private thus they generally pay in the 40-60+ range. But in the state and county subsidized hospital I volunteer at, nurses (RN's with a BS degree) only start with a $29,500 starting salary with possible OT as well.

The more a profession is dependent on the government, the lower the pay.

barto, I agree with you that the salaries aren't equitable. Nowadays, it's almost a necessity to obtain a Master's degree in order to teach in a public school. Many institutions now only offer 5 year degrees for teachers. OTOH, one can become an RN by going through two year program at a CC.

Public school teachers are required to have certification. Private school teachers are not. Some, but not all, private schools pay better salaries. Salaries for teachers and nurses aren't related to who has the most education, nor who has the more difficult or important work. They aren't even related to shortage. There is always a shortage of qualified teachers in certain subjects, grade levels, and disadvantaged areas.

I believe the answer is as has been stated above. Most nurses' salaries are paid through indirectly billing the customers. The general public has no say. Teacher's salaries are paid via tax dollars. There would be general public uproar if there were an attempt to raise them to equitable pay. They are viewed as having summers free, not as often working for 10-12hrs/day without overtime during the school year. Nurses are described as working 12hr shifts, without mention of overtime beyond the third shift or shift differential.

I also believe that others were correct in explaining that the shortage is thanks to flaws in our training system. It is very difficult to get and retain qualified instructors when they can both earn more, and have more flexible hours working clinically. Shortage of instructors does limit class size. In addition, nursing programs are not money makers for the schools. Tuition is the same, but the number of students per class is very small. They are sinkhole for money as far as the schools are concerned, in an era when departments are urged to pull in sufficient funds to cover their costs, but are a necessity because the classes fill a great public need.

I'm not saying that they are or are not overpaid. They have, though, made financial progress beyond that of most other traditionally female dominated fields.

I'm just going to say that I have worked in several hospitals and from my limited experience I can say that (in my opinion) nurses work their asses off, and are truly life savers. They are the ones who are there with patients around the clock, and 40-60k is not being paid too much (despite how grumpy some of them can be ... hahaha just kidding, I have a ton of respect for nurses).

hiya

so upon reading your initial post i was offended but i agree with the fact that social workers and teachers should be paid more...they have really hard jobs which do require more schooling... NYC police officers need to make more too...they risk their lives to make basically nothing...we can say this for most jobs which involve truly serving the public...

however you can not say that nurses get paid too much because they only need to have a 2 year degree... that just isn't fair...this is a job where we are required to learn new things every day..new meds..new adverse reactions..new drug interactions, new protocols, new algorithms ...and the consequence of not learning these things could mean life or death...do you really think being a nurse isn't intellectually demanding??? we are responsible for the actions of everyone else around us...I am required to know how to double check physicians, pharmacists, and social workers... I am ultimately responsible if I give the wrong med (despite what the order says)...if the wrong test is ordered...if the pharmacists misses a drug interaction and I give both meds, if a patient is discharged to the wrong level of care...

you are correct one can become a nurse with only a 2 year degree...one WILL NOT be successful or last as a nurse if they ONLY rely on the knowledge they gain during those two years...

Mel:)

Anyone else think nurses are paid too much in comparison to other fields such as teaching or social work that require four year degrees and that are not compensated equally? I understand that many of them work very hard and do their job well, but many nurses with a two year degree and certification can start in the 40-60K range in several places. I'm not sure if it is because there is a shortage of nurses or if it's just because people working in healthcare get generally overpaid. I wouldn't consider nursing to be more intellectually demanding than social work or teaching so I'm confused as to why more people don't go into it since the salary is relatively high taking into account the amount of education required.

ok i have edited my original post because i see now that my wording may have been interpreted as incendiary.
Nurses are legit. My roommate is in an RN program and my goodness he is constantly on rounds and in the book. I haven't seen the guy in over a year. I don't care how much nurses get paid, I'm not trying to be a doc so I can have a God complex over the uninformed mortals.

Teaching and social work aren't easy jobs. However, these people work Monday through Friday and teachers get summers off. You should also know that many teachers in rich suburban school district make a lot more money than staff nurses.

Nurses especially OR and ICU nurses work nights, weekends and holidays. Know any teachers who go in at 7 PM and get off at 7AM? Do you know any social workers who are removing impactions at 12 midnight on New Years Eve?

It still is...

Have you ever worked around nurses and nurses aides? Do you have the slightest idea what they have to deal with everyday? My mom's a nurse, and I work with great nurses every day. They work their asses off, and they are the one that get flack from all sides with doctors, patients and their families. Considering their work hours and work duties, I would say they deserve more, especially if it would help the nursing shortage. The suggestion that the job isn't intellectually demanding makes me want to reach through the internet and smack you upside the head.

If you're arguement is that teachers and social workers deserve more money, I agree with you there (so do cops).

Teaching and social work aren't easy jobs. However, these people work Monday through Friday and teachers get summers off. You should also know that many teachers in rich suburban school district make a lot more money than staff nurses.

Nurses especially OR and ICU nurses work nights, weekends and holidays. Know any teachers who go in at 7 PM and get off at 7AM? Do you know any social workers who are removing impactions at 12 midnight on New Years Eve?
also good points. it's hard to compare salaries of a job that goes 365 days a year and a job that gets 3 months of vacation.

Well I'm sure there are many nurses that think doctors are overpaid.

No, but I spent my Thanksgiving overnight this year interviewing children at the ER about things that had been done to them that no child should ever have to experience. Ditto for last year's NYE.

Sometimes I'd rather do the disimpaction.

my mom is an R.N. who doesn't have a bachelor's degree, and makes a little over $200k a year. very few people in that hospital work harder than she does.

my mom is an R.N. who doesn't have a bachelor's degree, and makes a little over $200k a year. very few people in that hospital work harder than she does.

okay, maybe not very few , but she works damn hard all the same. she's at work right now (7:30 am on sunday).

daaang wtf does she do?

my mom is also an RN with an ASN, but she sure doesn't pull in that much.

well, for one thing, she works two jobs. she also works in san francisco, where the starting salary for a nurse (at least at kaiser) is $48/hr.
she must work like a billion hours. hopefully someday you can make enough to take care of her so she doesn't have to work anymore :)

Have you ever worked around nurses and nurses aides? Do you have the slightest idea what they have to deal with everyday? My mom's a nurse, and I work with great nurses every day. They work their asses off, and they are the one that get flack from all sides with doctors, patients and their families. Considering their work hours and work duties, I would say they deserve more, especially if it would help the nursing shortage. The suggestion that the job isn't intellectually demanding makes me want to reach through the internet and smack you upside the head.

Actually yes. I was an aide for seven years before I was a doctor, and that's where I met my wife, who is an RN.

Nursing is essentially low-skill labor (patient transport, cleaning, filling out flow sheets) mixed in with a few technical responsibilities (IV starts, running pumps, pushing meds). Anyone who pays any attention to what nurses do will immediately notice the following:

1) Some nurses have a two year degree. Others have a four year degree. A few have masters or PhDs. Yet there are nurses with all these degrees doing the same jobs. Why all the extra education if a nurse with an associates degree can be everything from a floor nurse to a nurse manager? It's to justify higher pay.

2) Every job done by nurses gets done by aides and techs in other settings. In the military, we take kids fresh out of high school, send them to a couple months of corps school, and they are capable of starting IVs, giving meds, doing crichs, etc. So apparently you don't even really need two years of school to do the job.

Clearly they make far more than anyone can honestly say is reasonable.

I agree with you that its very strange a 2yr RN bachelor degree can get paid the same as a RN who has a PhD. Its my hope that the person with the PhD is holding a head nurse job or nurse manager position.

My question is.... if you feel that nurses are being paid an income too high... what does your wife feel? She would be the most candid person to respond, as she herself is an RN.

Does she feel she makes too much? How about in comparison to teachers or social workers?

Actually yes. I was an aide for seven years before I was a doctor, and that's where I met my wife, who is an RN.

Nursing is essentially low-skill labor (patient transport, cleaning, filling out flow sheets) mixed in with a few technical responsibilities (IV starts, running pumps, pushing meds). Anyone who pays any attention to what nurses do will immediately notice the following:

1) Some nurses have a two year degree. Others have a four year degree. A few have masters or PhDs. Yet there are nurses with all these degrees doing the same jobs. Why all the extra education if a nurse with an associates degree can be everything from a floor nurse to a nurse manager? It's to justify higher pay.

2) Every job done by nurses gets done by aides and techs in other settings. In the military, we take kids fresh out of high school, send them to a couple months of corps school, and they are capable of starting IVs, giving meds, doing crichs, etc. So apparently you don't even really need two years of school to do the job.

Clearly they make far more than anyone can honestly say is reasonable.

We don't have a nursing shortage. We have a shortage of nurses who are willing to do the job for the chump change that doctors would like to pay them.

I know two women who worked for years as staff nurses in ICU's. They then went to law school and became plaintiffs' personal injury lawyers. They now get the satisfaction of suing pompous physicians who think that nurses are overpaid.:laugh:

My question is.... if you feel that nurses are being paid an income too high... what does your wife feel? She would be the most candid person to respond, as she herself is an RN.

Does she feel she makes too much? How about in comparison to teachers or social workers?

Obviously she would punch me in the head if she heard me say any of this, fortunately she doesn't do the SDN thing. And I don't really have this conversation with her because (a) I'd be risking divorce, and (b) I get a lot of the benefit of her salary, with made life much better during med school.

I doubt any RN would say they are overpaid. After all, they do work very hard, and no one thinks that they make enough money. Would dermatologists admit they are drastically overpaid? Of course not. Probably she would just say that teachers and social workers are underpaid.

I feel like this is just asking for trouble...
Ugh, word.

why when anyone wants to discuss the salaries of other professions besides doctors does it at once become "inflammatory" and "asking for trouble."
Because they always turn into a doctors vs everyone else flamewar.

I would agree. Although, if you're wife reads that you've compared her job to cleaning out port-a-potties then you'll be sleeping on the couch for a week.
:smuggrin:

nothing but love and respect for nurses here.
Seconded, except for the one crazy np I know.

This was an entertaining read. I wish I would have jumped in a little sooner, but I guess everything has been said. Hey.. is there any popcorn left? I am a bit starvatious >.>a

<3

This was an entertaining read. I wish I would have jumped in a little sooner, but I guess everything has been said. Hey.. is there any popcorn left? I am a bit starvatious >.>a

<3

:corny::corny::corny::corny::corny:

All for you!

You know what it is like being a nurse? well according to my wife, a nurse, she says her primary job function is cleaning up ****. Yep, that's pretty much it, and if you don't pay people well, who would do it?

Oh, and in regards to her training, i actually thought it to be pretty rigorous. About 1/3 her course was anatomy, basic physiology, and pharmacology. Then next 1/3 was "critical thinking" and following nursing procedures. And the last 3rd was clinical work.

I think overall, it was pretty demanding. For example, the biology portion seemed equivalent to any college level course, and she had a ton of clinical hours. However, the critical thinking portion was kind of hookey, and i think she would say the same. So, in my opinion, i think her salary is justified, but she went to probably a better nursing school than most.

You know what it is like being a nurse? well according to my wife, a nurse, she says her primary job function is cleaning up ****. Yep, that's pretty much it, and if you don't pay people well, who would do it?

Ask a janitor. Pretty sure they'd describe their jobs about the same, I ain't never met one that got paid much. Rather ridiculously phrased comment.

Or a garbage collector.

Or the nurse tech, that actually cleans crap, and gets maybe $9 and hour (I have several friends in the field).

I think the level of fecal matter or other materials that the nurses are responsible for discarding of are on a plateau which could not be reached if you stood all of the janitors and garbage collectors on each other's shoulders.

Now THAT is a ridiculously phrased comment... one for the ages..

/pwnd ^.^

<3

i see you left nurse techs out of that category.

I know two women who worked for years as staff nurses in ICU's. They then went to law school and became plaintiffs' personal injury lawyers. They now get the satisfaction of suing pompous physicians who think that nurses are overpaid.:laugh:

wow, they sure turned their lives around! :thumbup:

i see you left nurse techs out of that category.

....... /looks around

Me? If so, then no, I did not. I lumped the entire nursing fraternity into a single unit so that they could all bask in the respect and admiration I have for them. And btw, "fraternity" means either male only or co-ed, so please don't attack me for this.

<3

Ask a janitor. Pretty sure they'd describe their jobs about the same, I ain't never met one that got paid much. Rather ridiculously phrased comment.

Or a garbage collector.

Or the nurse tech, that actually cleans crap, and gets maybe $9 and hour (I have several friends in the field).

Well a janitor does not clean it off another human being. And what i said, is what my wife and her peers have told me. They fell thats all they do. atleast when they work on medical surgical floor.

....... /looks around

Me? If so, then no, I did not. I lumped the entire nursing fraternity into a single unit so that they could all bask in the respect and admiration I have for them. And btw, "fraternity" means either male only or co-ed, so please don't attack me for this.

<3

erm, I think you mistook my comment: Reiteration; good move leaving nurse techs out of the janitor and garbage collector reaching plateau of crap group,.....yadayadayada.....What i was getting it is that they pretty much clean up crap too, often more so than nurses (though this is coming from the mouths of the nurse techs, so admittedly may be biased) and don't get paid much by at all.

My original point was simply in reply to cliquesh Tons of people clean up lots of crap, some more than nurses, for VERY little pay.

^.^ Gotcha.. sorry for the mistake, then. Have a great day ^.~

<3